Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 22:18   #2086
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Sorry I had to quote Gansan. He had mentioned he saw 1320 for 15k.
I saw that Amazon deal today!

The 15k I quoted was at Reliance Digital store.

I am more interested in the 730 now.

Last edited by Gansan : 24th February 2015 at 22:22.
Old 25th February 2015, 10:52   #2087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I saw that Amazon deal today!

The 15k I quoted was at Reliance Digital store.

I am more interested in the 730 now.

You might find the 1320 a tad big especially if you have short fingers. I had initially planned to get the 1320 but later brought the 925 a few months back.

Even I would suggest the 730. My father got it four months back and I cant find another phone that offers equal VFM in this price range. The display is OLED which makes the OS look beautiful thanks to the ultra high contrast and vibrancy. The other phones with IPS displays dont impress me. After having seen the 925 and 730 displays, I wouldnt go back to an LCD display again.

Battery life is decent too. I havent heard him complaining since his usage is minimal and it lasts more than a day easily.

Coming to Cortana v/s others, since it is still in development stage, and also not yet available for India, its better we wait for the finished product. My english accent isnt western but still Cortana has not got my commands wrong 9.9/10 times. Problem usually occurs with some Indian names but I havent got to experiment much with my contacts.
Old 25th February 2015, 11:24   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Windows phone users

I am planning to take the plunge and go for Lumia 930 or 1520. I have used all other platforms starting with Blackberry->IOS->Android. So now i want to try out Windows phone.

Budget is around 40k max. I am fine with the limited apps in the store.

Is it confirmed that all current Lumia handsets are going to get Windows 10 upgrade? Considering 930 is a flagship, i am guessing it should get Win10.

Is it worth diving into Windows phone world?
Old 25th February 2015, 12:09   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Is it confirmed that all current Lumia handsets are going to get Windows 10 upgrade? Considering 930 is a flagship, i am guessing it should get Win10.
Microsoft has confirmed this. Some lower end phones may not fully support some new features (more like a disclaimer) but all Lumia phones surely will support the updated OS.
Old 25th February 2015, 16:05   #2090
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If you are moving to the Windows world, I would suggest to go with Lumia 830 instead of the 930. They call it the affordable flagship, and I found it great value compared to the latter.
Old 25th February 2015, 16:21   #2091
Senior - BHPian

I was using Lumia 822 on reliance network for past few months. A few days ago I got a new Samsung i200 based on Android. After fumbling around on that for a few days, I am back to Windows mobile Android just feels too much all over the place, and windows mobile have everything I need. For about same specs, the windows mobile seems faster.
Old 25th February 2015, 16:31   #2092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you are moving to the Windows world, I would suggest to go with Lumia 830 instead of the 930. They call it the affordable flagship, and I found it great value compared to the latter.
I know 830 is a great VFM product. But I want a proper flagship phone. Coming from Note-2, which was the top offering from Samsung when I bought and still is a very capable device. Comparatively, 830 is slightly low on specs.
Old 25th February 2015, 16:49   #2093
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know 830 is a great VFM product. But I want a proper flagship phone. Coming from Note-2, which was the top offering from Samsung when I bought and still is a very capable device. Comparatively, 830 is slightly low on specs.
Yes, I agree. But check it out side by side, and you may find that the 830 is a very sensible offering from Nokia. I found the colours more natural on the 830. That said, if you liked the display of Note 2, then the 930 maybe more appealing. I have decided to go with the 830 - as a filler phone to use between iPhone updates

And a chance to own a piece of history - read somewhere that the 830 is the last phone with Nokia branding
Old 25th February 2015, 16:54   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Windows phone users

I am planning to take the plunge and go for Lumia 930 or 1520. I have used all other platforms starting with Blackberry->IOS->Android. So now i want to try out Windows phone.

Budget is around 40k max. I am fine with the limited apps in the store.

I recently used Lumia 1520 in a store and really liked it. If you have Note series in thew past then try 1520 although I wish it was a bit cheaper as spending 39k on this phone is too much.

I would recommend going for lumia 830 or 1520. Compared to 930 830 is better value for money.
Old 25th February 2015, 17:10   #2095
Senior - BHPian

I had bought 730 out of sheer curiosity and for its looks. The build quaity & Cam is great. But it is also very irritating to use:

Need help with follwing issues:
1) Every time I step into a lift, my phone beeps and I get SIM ERROR. It only resets, if I RESTART the phone. Same thing happens in 535 (CHEAP'O' PHONE).
2) I had configured it to connect to my home WiFi but everytime it has to be done manually. i.e. you open WiFi section, select your home WiFi and then it will connect. If you leave the phone idle for 15 minutes, WiFi symbol will disappear but the internet will keep on working. Now again leave phone idle for 15 mins and now you begin from step 1 which mostly includes RESTART.
3) In SHORTCUT section one cannot include MOBILE DATA icon & thus you have to go through settings, every bloody time.

The only thing I love about 730 is the DOWNLOAD option on Explorer.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 25th February 2015 at 17:13.
Old 25th February 2015, 17:25   #2096
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
1) Every time I step into a lift, my phone beeps and I get SIM ERROR. It only resets, if I RESTART the phone. Same thing happens in 535 (CHEAP'O' PHONE).
Never had this problem. You should probably try adjusting the SIM or take it to warranty.

Quote:
2) I had configured it to connect to my home WiFi but everytime it has to be done manually. i.e. you open WiFi section, select your home WiFi and then it will connect. If you leave the phone idle for 15 minutes, WiFi symbol will disappear but the internet will keep on working. Now again leave phone idle for 15 mins and now you begin from step 1 which mostly includes RESTART.
Doesn't happen for me.
Quote:

3) In SHORTCUT section one cannot include MOBILE DATA icon & thus you have to go through settings, every bloody time.
Do you mean Changing from 2G to 3G or turning Mobile Data on or off. If it's the 2nd one, then this can be done in the notification center (I have 8.1 Denim currently - not sure if this can be done in earlier versions also). But I would also love for a way to quickly switch between 2G & 3G.
Old 25th February 2015, 21:37   #2097
BANNED

I am seriously contemplating to upgrade from my 720 to the 1320 because the 730 will almost be same with the 720.
Old 26th February 2015, 09:15   #2098
Senior - BHPian

^^ I think the 730 is next generation to both 720 and 1320 and runs on Windows 8.1.
Old 26th February 2015, 12:18   #2099
Team-BHP Support

Guys, is there a way to block and erase a Windows Phone remotely if the SIM is removed?

My brother-in-law's Lumia 520 was stolen sometime back while it was left for charging, in a second AC compartment. He dozed off and a bunch of phones got stolen from the compartment apparently. I had gifted the device on their 10th anniversary couple of years back. :(

Found a link but it doesn't mention if the device requires a SIM inside. Thanks in advance!
Old 26th February 2015, 12:25   #2100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, is there a way to block and erase a Windows Phone remotely if the SIM is removed?

My brother-in-law's Lumia 520 was stolen sometime back while it was left for charging, in a second AC compartment. He dozed off and a bunch of phones got stolen from the compartment apparently. I had gifted the device on their 10th anniversary couple of years back. :(

Found a link but it doesn't mention if the device requires a SIM inside. Thanks in advance!
As long as the windows live Id is not changed and the phone is connected to the internet, you can find the phone, lock it and erase the data in the phone. Its not related to the SIM. Hence I always leave data ON and phone locked so that the device can be tracked. They cant remove battery in my phone either.

Most Viewed