Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2014, 13:21   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Thanks for confirming, I think critical updates would be just single critical bug fix payload which should be small enough to be downloaded over the mobile data.
I think that seems to be the most logical explanation.

The update must be small enough to be able to reliably download using a Cellular Connection.
Old 25th October 2014, 13:34   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I think that seems to be the most logical explanation.

The update must be small enough to be able to reliably download using a Cellular Connection.
My guess is that they are trying to gauge the possibility of a critical update reaching all phones if needed. There would be a lot of folks who would be still postponing the updates and they would not be installing anything on their own.

Some things like the copyright issue over "skydrive" name leading to Onedrive renaming had a fixed period within which it needs to be rectified by Microsoft. Even if users don't co-operate and update, Microsoft might need to find a way to make these users comply to legal requirements.
Old 25th October 2014, 13:48   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
My guess is that they are trying to gauge the possibility of a critical update reaching all phones if needed. There would be a lot of folks who would be still postponing the updates and they would not be installing anything on their own.

Some things like the copyright issue over "skydrive" name leading to Onedrive renaming had a fixed period within which it needs to be rectified by Microsoft. Even if users don't co-operate and update, Microsoft might need to find a way to make these users comply to legal requirements.
Aah, I think legal repercussions are the most likely reason why MS would resort to something of this sort.

Makes complete sense.

Basically where MS needs some action from the user end to ensure that it doesn't get caught up in some legal tangle later on.

That said, Nokia Lumia is dead now. It is Microsoft Lumia hereon.

I sometimes believe the only reason someone may buy a Lumia is because of the Nokia tag that came with it. Now, Microsoft will have to go through a whole rebranding exercise again.

I expect sales to dip for some time until people are convinced that the phones are still of Nokia quality.
Old 26th October 2014, 04:14   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Totally new to Windows phones. Bought a new one for someone. It's on 8.1 I believe. Entered my Hotmail ID as I wanted to check out the phone. Now I don't see an option to delete it! Did some Googling and found MS page that says 1st email ID entered can't be deleted. What kind of sick joke is this? Now how do I give the phone away? Is there any way? Or do I have to do a factory reset just for this (assuming this will delete my ID). Or change the password of my account? I'd rather not do this. Is there any other way?
Old 26th October 2014, 07:10   #1955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Totally new to Windows phones. Bought a new one for someone. It's on 8.1 I believe. Entered my Hotmail ID as I wanted to check out the phone. Now I don't see an option to delete it! Did some Googling and found MS page that says 1st email ID entered can't be deleted. What kind of sick joke is this? Now how do I give the phone away? Is there any way? Or do I have to do a factory reset just for this (assuming this will delete my ID). Or change the password of my account? I'd rather not do this. Is there any other way?
From what I know the Microsoft email account which you used while setting up the phone cannot be removed. You will need to reset the phone when you give it away to someone.
Old 26th October 2014, 08:13   #1956
BHPian

Has anyone did a factory reset and got back all the saved SMS messages intact? I did a reset of my 720 and the messages got restored, but the threads are screwed up. The messages from non-numbers like 'AM-Citibank' got jumbled and is now stored under 'A', 'AD, 'B', etc.
Old 26th October 2014, 10:39   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Has anyone did a factory reset and got back all the saved SMS messages intact? I did a reset of my 720 and the messages got restored, but the threads are screwed up. The messages from non-numbers like 'AM-Citibank' got jumbled and is now stored under 'A', 'AD, 'B', etc.
I had done the reset around 3 months after getting the 8X and the messages got restored. However, I didn't face issues with jumbled messages, probably because the total count was not so much in those 3 months.
Old 26th October 2014, 14:09   #1958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
From what I know the Microsoft email account which you used while setting up the phone cannot be removed. You will need to reset the phone when you give it away to someone.
Now that's really irksome! Wonder what's MS thinking when it comes up with such ideas.

Upfront 8.1 on 730 seems really more polished than stock Android and is almost lag free. Love their colour schemes with mostly dark backgrounds as against Google's white backgrounds which I really hate. But now I'm beginning to see that windows isn't quite ready for prime time for me at least, for so many reasons. There doesn't seem to be a way to see basics like screen on time etc. Many apps I use aren't there. No T BHP either! Apps are anyway limited. So seem customization options. Voice reco and commands are no way at par. Etc., etc.

The cam on 730 is fantastic, even in low light. Beats the higher MP camera on MI3 completely hollow. Better than even cameras on the xperias I've seen.
Old 27th October 2014, 07:52   #1959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that's really irksome! Wonder what's MS thinking when it comes up with such . So seem customization options. Voice reco and commands are no way at par. Etc., etc.

The cam on 730 is fantastic, even in low light. Beats the higher MP camera on MI3 completely hollow. Better than even cameras on the xperias I've seen.
I learnt this the hard way when I entered my id in my dads phone since he had forgotten the password of his Microsoft account which he created when he brought a laptop sometime back. Did a reset and let him setup the phone by himself.

Regarding voice recognition, did you try Cortana? She does the job for me these days. I would say its brilliant though still in Beta. A lot more is to follow.
Old 27th October 2014, 09:09   #1960
Senior - BHPian

^^^It's a very serious limitation.

Of course I'm talking about Cortana. It doesn't seem half as good as Google Now. Other things aside, Now did much better job of recognizing my voice when placed side by side Cortana. Hope they improve it fast. In fact, functionally everything needs serious improvement, save the visual appeal and fluidity, if I'm to consider it as a replacement for an Android.
Old 27th October 2014, 09:10   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Entered my Hotmail ID as I wanted to check out the phone. Now I don't see an option to delete it! Did some Googling and found MS page that says 1st email ID entered can't be deleted. What kind of sick joke is this? Now how do I give the phone away? Is there any way? Or do I have to do a factory reset just for this (assuming this will delete my ID)
Quote:
Now that's really irksome! Wonder what's MS thinking when it comes up with such ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I learnt this the hard way when I entered my id in my dads phone since he had forgotten the password of his Microsoft account which he created when he brought a laptop sometime back. Did a reset and let him setup the phone by himself.
If I'm not mistaken, this is the same case with the primary gmail id in case of Android as well. I don't think you can edit the id linked to the Play Store without resetting the Android device. I could be wrong in case of Android since the only Android I have is a Lenovo Andriod tablet that I sparingly use.

This is because the primary Microsoft account is linked to the app purchases in the store. Since the app stores allow multiple downloads once you purchase an app (compatible across platforms) in case you own multiple devices (phones/tablets/PC), this is the only way they can restrict piracy of apps by leeching on to someone else's purchases while still allowing you to use it across your devices without having to purchase again for each.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:57   #1962
Senior - BHPian

I have positively deleted the first entered gmail ID from Android devices. There can be no justification for not allowing that. Supposing you need to give phone to service centre? Or to someone else for temporary use? This is incredibly lame policy by MS.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:45   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Is a music player with seek and sleep timer functions too much to ask for in a windows phone? Unable to find one. Anybody knows?
Old 27th October 2014, 17:57   #1964
Senior - BHPian

@ raccoon, Can't you do a factory reset?
Old 27th October 2014, 19:08   #1965
Senior - BHPian

I could but point is it's really lame and extra work just for removing an account.

Music player with above functions anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks