Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 21:06   #2041
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

After buying a 730 for dad about a week back, bought a Lumia 535 for mom today. Used it a bit. Decent phone for the price. Costed me ₹8,600 and the shopkeeper gave a Nokia screen guard for free. Bought a Nokia flip cover for the phone as well. That costed ₹350. Anyone looking for a windows phone under 10k should get the Lumia 535.

Cheers
amansanc
Old 30th December 2014, 23:30   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Friends I want a mobile with the best camera. Now Nokia 1020 is available as low as 24K. I am really tempted. What say?
What's not to like? Its an awesome camera phone with average battery backup as per a couple of friends who own it.

But once you see those photos, all is forgotten
Old 30th December 2014, 23:35   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
After buying a 730 for dad about a week back, bought a Lumia 535 for mom today. Used it a bit. Decent phone for the price. Costed me ₹8,600 and the shopkeeper gave a Nokia screen guard for free. Bought a Nokia flip cover for the phone as well. That costed ₹350. Anyone looking for a windows phone under 10k should get the Lumia 535.
Cheers
amansanc
I am also about to buy the same phone but as mentioned in my last post the phone has touch screen issues, for which Microsoft has released updates. Any pros of 535 you would like to mention? How is camera?

Also, can you through some light on the ease of use of Windows phones as compared to Android specially for elder ones.
Old 31st December 2014, 10:14   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I am also about to buy the same phone but as mentioned in my last post the phone has touch screen issues, for which Microsoft has released updates. Any pros of 535 you would like to mention? How is camera?

Also, can you through some light on the ease of use of Windows phones as compared to Android specially for elder ones.
Windows released an update yesterday itself. I used the phone after the update only so don't know what was the issue earlier. But after the update, I didn't face any issue. The pros of the phone are big screen size, decent display quality, pretty good cameras and the fluid windows os.

Windows is very easy to use when compared to android. Very easy to understand. Some say that windows is more fluid than ios as well. I own a windows phone. Dad shifted from ios to windows a week back. Mom shifted from android to windows yesterday. That should answer your question about ease of use
For elderly people, it would be pretty good because the size of tiles on the home screen is customisable and can be made bigger so that they are easy to use. The dialer also has big buttons. There is an option of light background and a high contrast option for the ones who might need it.

Hope this helps
Old 5th January 2015, 11:37   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Finally took the plunge and bought myself shiny new Lumia 730...
I too gifted myself a new lumia 730 from Flipkart for new year

I really am liking this phone, awesome performance all round. Good gaming performance too.
I got the screen guard installed from Univercell. Brand is inbase and cost is Rs 500/-. Although the price is is high, the quality is very good. It's matte finish and looks clean. It fits nicely around corners, just check this once.
In the past i had bought screen guards for my previous Samsung Galaxy S Duos from flipkart,Amazon for 100 - 150, but they did not last long. So opted for inbase now.

I am facing a peculiar issue, the Here drive does not seem to catch GPS connection by itself. When i open another app Google maps in browser, the Here drive acquires the connection and it does not seem to be stable. When i have stopped ata signal, it starts calculating alternative routes.
Anyone faced such issue?

Is there any other offline GPS Navigation appfor Lumia?
Old 5th January 2015, 13:54   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I too gifted myself a new lumia 730 from Flipkart for new year

I really am liking this phone, awesome performance all round. Good gaming performance too.
I got the screen guard installed from Univercell. Brand is inbase and cost is Rs 500/-. Although the price is is high, the quality is very good. It's matte finish and looks clean. It fits nicely around corners, just check this once.
In the past i had bought screen guards for my previous Samsung Galaxy S Duos from flipkart,Amazon for 100 - 150, but they did not last long. So opted for inbase now.

I am facing a peculiar issue, the Here drive does not seem to catch GPS connection by itself. When i open another app Google maps in browser, the Here drive acquires the connection and it does not seem to be stable. When i have stopped ata signal, it starts calculating alternative routes.
Anyone faced such issue?

Is there any other offline GPS Navigation appfor Lumia?
Congrats on the Lumia 730. I never faced the issue you mentioned with here drive. It works flawlessly everytime.
Dont look put for another navigation app. Here Drive is amazing and is one of the selling point of Lumia phones I would say try reinstalling the app and see if it works properly. If not, get it checked at nokia care.

Cheers
amansanc
Old 13th January 2015, 14:41   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Congrats on the Lumia 730. I never faced the issue you mentioned with here drive. It works flawlessly everytime.
Dont look put for another navigation app. Here Drive is amazing and is one of the selling point of Lumia phones I would say try reinstalling the app and see if it works properly. If not, get it checked at nokia care.
Cheers
amansanc
I am ordering 535 today. Any short-term review? Any problems you faced in this short span?
Old 13th January 2015, 14:50   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I am ordering 535 today. Any short-term review? Any problems you faced in this short span?
Didn't face any issues with the phone till date. Mom uses it and is satisfied with the phone. The only thing I would say could have been better is the build quality. After using the 730, the 535 doesn't feel that great when you hold it. But then it is more than 5k cheaper. So cant expect much. Just in case you can extend your budget, get the 730. It is worth the additional money.

Cheers
amansanc
Old 13th January 2015, 15:32   #2049
Team-BHP Support

I have a Lumia 920 (since January 2013) and the Here Drive+ app is driving me bonkers off-lately! Last weekend, we had a trip to Ahmedabad and when I entered the details, instead of showing the expressway, it showed the old route. Tried all the route optimization options from the settings - balanced route, faster route and shorter route. All of them yielded the same result. Ultimately, swapped the micro SIM with the missus’ Moto E (she was headed elsewhere) and used that for navigation instead. I used Google Maps from the desktop (the previous day) to customize a route, shared the short URL over email and opened it from the Moto E. It was very convenient!

I did try doing something similar using Here on the desktop but could not import this map to the Lumia device. Does anyone have any workaround or suggestion?
Old 13th January 2015, 17:34   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I have a Lumia 920 (since January 2013) and the Here Drive+ app is driving me bonkers off-lately!
I'm using gMaps application on my Windows phone and I'm fully satisfied with it. Try that out. It even accurately depicts the traffic situation in Hyderabad when I enable the traffic layer.
Old 13th January 2015, 21:36   #2051
BANNED

My Lumia 720 has begun to freeze off late. It has happened twice in last 15 days... It just freezes and even the buttons dont work and screen is stuck on lockscreen. I just have to wait it out for battery to finish and then charge or if at home, then connect to desktop and fix it through recovery software. Calls and messages are still coming in though. No idea what to do. Guys please help. I am running still on dev preview.
Old 13th January 2015, 22:23   #2052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
My Lumia 720 has begun to freeze off late. It has happened twice in last 15 days... It just freezes and even the buttons dont work and screen is stuck on lockscreen. I just have to wait it out for battery to finish ...
Why don't you just remove the battery and then re-load it?
Old 13th January 2015, 22:38   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
My Lumia 720 has begun to freeze off late. It has happened twice in last 15 days... It just freezes and even the buttons dont work and screen is stuck on lockscreen. I just have to wait it out for battery to finish and then charge or if at home, then connect to desktop and fix it through recovery software. Calls and messages are still coming in though. No idea what to do. Guys please help. I am running still on dev preview.
Hold the volume down + power button pressed until the phone vibrates and restarts ~ 15 secs for a soft reset in case the 720 locks up. 720 battery is cannot be removed by user.
Old 13th January 2015, 22:40   #2054
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why don't you just remove the battery and then re-load it?
battery is non removable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Hold the volume down + power button pressed until the phone vibrates and restarts ~ 15 secs for a soft reset in case the 720 locks up. 720 battery is cannot be removed by user.
tried all. for a minute even. as i said the buttons dont respond. even a call comes, i cant the ringer with volume button.no solution out.
Old 13th January 2015, 22:46   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Lumia 720 has begun to freeze off late. It has happened twice in last 15 days... It just freezes and even the buttons dont work and screen is stuck on lockscreen.
I used to have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
This was a quick fix that worked every single time!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks