Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 12:40   #1921

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yes I am able to download and I downloaded some classical music and indian fusion which was difficult to find outside in shops. I signed in using my old Nokia Id I got with my Lumia 710 and only the subscription was extended with the new phone and my profile was the same.
tHANKS again. i have a few more ques which will be easier if i can talk to you. i cannot access private meassging, else i would send you my number. can you pls send me a pvt message, if its not a prob? Thanks so much
Old 14th October 2014, 13:50   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
My previous android phone used Wifi over 3G when both were available there by saving 3G data where as in Lumia I see that if the phone is on 3G it continues to use 3G even if a known wifi is available. I need to manually switch off 3G and connect to Wifi.
Is there a way to set this as a preference and switch over to wifi automatically?
Even I find this weird behavior in my lumia!
After the 8.1 update one can easily make out from the icons at the top how the traffic is flowing.

In spite of being connected to wifi (100% reliable) continuously, I see the phone using 3G connection a few times.
This is also verified independently since !dea gives an annoying message at the end of every data session.

I am bewildered why is the phone behaving this way!?

Also another weird behavior is that sometimes the phone does not connect to previously known wifi network. I have to manually key in the password again! Looks like an 8.2 update is sorely needed.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:45   #1923
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I am using 8.1, and the phone effortlessly remembers password for known wifi network. Guess you need to soft reset it or try other help from internet.
Old 14th October 2014, 16:28   #1924
Senior - BHPian

I am also using Lumia 720 on WIN 8.1 and the phone connects to my home wifi the moment i reach home. I have to do nothing manually. I agree with ani_meher that may be a soft reset would resolve the issue.
Old 15th October 2014, 12:30   #1925
BHPian

Re: free mobile hotspot apps?

Are there any free wifi hotspot apps to convert lumia 1320/win8.0 as modem?

Please advise.
Old 15th October 2014, 12:53   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are there any free wifi hotspot apps to convert lumia 1320/win8.0 as modem?

Please advise.
Settings -> Internet Sharing?
Old 15th October 2014, 17:37   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Settings -> Internet Sharing?
Wow! It is that simple! So used to android, was searching for apps.
Thank you!
Old 15th October 2014, 18:37   #1928
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Wow! It is that simple! So used to android, was searching for apps.
Thank you!
Even in Android, it's just a simple setting like this.
Old 15th October 2014, 18:38   #1929
Senior - BHPian

The Lumia 930 will be available in stores and on-line from this week. Even though Ebay.in or some online store has it already listed at 34,999/-, that is not the official Lumia 930 as per Microsoft statement.

It is also speculated that at the time of actual launch, Microsoft will price it lower than the earlier declared price. It is most likely to be priced at around 32k INR, considering the lukewarm response to Lumia 730/830.

Many Android experts told me that it is HUGE step of moving from Samsung NOTE 2 to Lumia 930. Note 2 is such a capable device still and it is also eligible to get the Android L upgrade. So the upgrade will make it a formidable device even now, after almost 3 years from launch.

I am kind of leaning towards the Lumia 930 just for the novelty purpose and proper flagship for the first time from the Lumia world, as per the experts. But still its kind of 60-40 split.
Old 16th October 2014, 22:52   #1930
Distinguished - BHPian

My dad cracked the screen of his Galaxy S2 and wanted a new phone urgently. After scouting for non samsung phones(read Sony, etc) he ended up buying the Lumia 730. This phone is a killer package for the price paid. What he liked was the design, which was clean and bold. Moreover the UI was a welcome change compared to the cheesy looking samsung interface. And compared to the Lumia 720 my mum has, this is a superb upgrade.

Now I can call it as a Lumia family with four lumias in the house, except for my kid brother who has an Xperia. Currently we have a 710, 720, 730, 925 at home That itself speaks about the 'experience' we have had with using the Lumia. It may have limitations but that depends upon how much we tend to extract out of the phone. For modders, custom ROM guys etc android will offer good customisation capablities, but for a normal user, WP is excellent.

Last edited by audioholic : 16th October 2014 at 22:59.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:32   #1931
BHPian

I had purchased Lumia 800 on its launch date in India back in Dec-11. This December, after completing 3 years of use, this phone will retire. Though there is still 2 months of time, I have started looking for upgrade. I am looking at either 830 or 930 as replacement. Hopefully, price will come down a bit by that time.

As I am still on WP7.8 version, I want to check if some of the limitations of this version are taken care in the new OS.

1. Contacts: Font is too small and there is no way to increase it
2. Contacts: Only 1 mobile number can be stored per contact (without linking another contact entry)
3. Dial screen: Phone number can not be pasted
4. Dial screen: if you are calling back on phone number from received list, phone number can not be edited without saving it first
5. Indian scripts are not supported
6: Calender: No weekly view
7. Single volume level for all purposes
Old 17th October 2014, 14:40   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
^^^ I am using 8.1, and the phone effortlessly remembers password for known wifi network. Guess you need to soft reset it or try other help from internet.
The problem happens because I have converted my Reliance ethernet (requires reliance login password) connection to Wifi (requires wifi login password).

So when the Reliance session expires, the wifi application on WP has no ability to log-in to the Reliance network.

Looks like the phone assumes that the wifi network is dead and hence forgets about it.

Then I have to log-in to the Reliance session.
I expect that NOW the WP should connect (actually the phone should be connected to the Wifi network all the time). But it doesn't.
I have to switch off the wifi on my lumia, and switch it on and key in the wifi credentials again.
Old 17th October 2014, 16:01   #1933
BHPian

TrueCaller has been updated and it shows the 'caller' in realtime now. Needs WP8.1 Cyan update

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/st...3-57313f5ece90
Old 17th October 2014, 16:18   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I had purchased Lumia 800 on its launch date in India back in Dec-11. This December, after completing 3 years of use, this phone will retire. Though there is still 2 months of time, I have started looking for upgrade. I am looking at either 830 or 930 as replacement. Hopefully, price will come down a bit by that time.

As I am still on WP7.8 version, I want to check if some of the limitations of this version are taken care in the new OS.

2. Contacts: Only 1 mobile number can be stored per contact (without linking another contact entry)
4. Dial screen: if you are calling back on phone number from received list, phone number can not be edited without saving it first
Hi, let me answer all your queries one by one, but all issues have been sorted out in the latest Windows 8.1

1. Text size can be increased
2. You can save multiple numbers with a contact
3. numbers can be pasted
4. not sure, but i dont think it can be done
5. supported by apps
6. Weekly view available
7. volume levels separate for ringer and apps.
Old 17th October 2014, 22:36   #1935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post

In addition to what has already been answered,

2. This is possible in 7.8 too. Not sure why you aren't able to do so. Nevertheless yes its possible on 8.1 also.
7. Now there's different volume level for Call, Ringer + Notifications, Media + Apps, Headphones. Once you plug in earphones, the volume level will go back to the level set when you last plugged in phones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks