Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 08:15   #1801
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Updating on my 8X - can't wait to have a look at the folders option that seems to be coming with this update.
Got the 8.1 update yesterday (Dev Preview enabled device). Folder option is quite cool and better than the iOS one. Simply drag one shortcut on top of another and it creates the folder.

Name:  wp_ss_20140806_0001.png
Views: 454
Size:  144.7 KB

The other cool new feature is "Apps Corner". In addition to "Kids Corner", you can now enable this feature. If someone wants to use some app in your phone, you can enable that app only. You can also disable camera, search, windows menu, back button etc., All they can see is only that app. You can disable action corner too.

The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20140806_0002.png

The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20140806_0003.png
Old 6th August 2014, 15:59   #1802
Distinguished - BHPian

I just noticed that when I access IRCTC site (browser) on my Lumia 630, as soon as you log in and complete your "Plan my travel" portion (for train) and select submit, it automatically logout. Tried with a friend's windows phone and same outcome. The same problem with IE as well as UC browser.

Anybody facing the same issue?
Old 6th August 2014, 17:16   #1803
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here used AirWatch MDM Agent? Its a mobile device management app that is now mandated by my company.

I installed it on my Lumia 720 (running 8.1 via Developer Preview), but found that the app doesn't let me configure it all the way through. Moreover, it crashes quite often and requires a phone restart to get working.

I've a deadline of about 4 weeks to get this installed on my phone, after which I can't check work email without this installed.
Old 6th August 2014, 18:56   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I've a deadline of about 4 weeks to get this installed on my phone, after which I can't check work email without this installed.
Some reviews indicate issues with 8.1. So you could go back to 8.0 or wait for the new version before your deadline.
Old 6th August 2014, 19:15   #1805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Some reviews indicate issues with 8.1. So you could go back to 8.0 or wait for the new version before your deadline.
Or I can give up on checking work email on my phone till its sorted

I was just having a chat with my manager's manager about this issue, and he was telling me about how he never configures work email on his phone - his statement: "I'm not a doctor working on life & death situations, if its urgent/important to others, then they can call me". Nice to see higher management nicely grounded like this.

Back on topic though, thanks for that info, I'm surprised about the issues with 8.1 since AirWatch claims itself compatible from day 1. Moreover, 8.1 has too many compelling features to make me go back to 8.0.

Last edited by arunphilip : 6th August 2014 at 19:19.
Old 6th August 2014, 19:59   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I just noticed that when I access IRCTC site (browser) on my Lumia 630, as soon as you log in and complete your "Plan my travel" portion (for train) and select submit, it automatically logout. Tried with a friend's windows phone and same outcome. The same problem with IE as well as UC browser.

Anybody facing the same issue?
Why not just use the official IRCTC app?
Old 7th August 2014, 01:16   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just noticed that when I access IRCTC site (browser) on my Lumia 630,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Just note that finding your TPIN is a bit of a hassle. You need to go to the old site and check there for your TPIN.

Also, I got the 8.1 Update 1 yesterday. The live folders are lovely. And the battery life seems to have improved and lastly, the phone charges faster now. 36% per hour compared to the earlier 29% per hour.
Old 7th August 2014, 02:38   #1808
BHPian

I have a Lumia 1320.

drawbacks of this device are:

1) cannot send music files from this device either through Bluetooth or even WhatsApp.
2) live streaming of youtube videos is very slow even with 3G
3) Does not support flash player.

positives points:

1) great battery
2) very good display
3) window interface gives a pleasure to use.
Old 7th August 2014, 10:22   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Just note that finding your TPIN is a bit of a hassle. You need to go to the old site and check there for your TPIN...
I had this app sometime back; but un-installed due to some issues. Installed again; now the better part is, this app can NOT be used between 8:00 - 12:00 hours!!

What's the point!! Which basically shows that one can NOT book a (tatkal) train ticket using windows mobile. Is there anywhere we can bring this to someone's notice?
Old 7th August 2014, 10:49   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
I have a Lumia 1320.

drawbacks of this device are:

1) cannot send music files from this device either through Bluetooth or even WhatsApp.
2) live streaming of Youtube videos is very slow even with 3G
The Lumia 1320 came with Windows Phone 8.1, which means it will fully support the Files app from Microsoft. You can use that to send songs via Bluetooth or any other File Manager for that matter.

Live streaming always depends on the connection strength more than the Phone I think. I have always had a positive experience while trying to stream.

As for flash player, I don't know.

Quote:
I had this app sometime back; but un-installed due to some issues. Installed again; now the better part is, this app can NOT be used between 8:00 - 12:00 hours!!

What's the point!! Which basically shows that one can NOT book a (tatkal) train ticket using windows mobile. Is there anywhere we can bring this to someone's notice?
I'm not sure why that is the case. Can't really think of any logical reason to disallow Tatkal booking of tickets!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 7th August 2014 at 10:55. Reason: Deleted a smiley. For forum rules dictate only 2 per post!
Old 7th August 2014, 11:13   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
As for flash player, I don't know.
Well, flash is dead.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:15   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Well, flash is dead.
Yes, it is.

So since our phones actually play YouTube videos, can we assume they support HTML5?
Old 7th August 2014, 11:15   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksthedreamer View Post
Updated my lumia 1320 with 8.1 today. Update is quite good and microsoft is certainly catching up with big players ios and android.
Notification panel is a welcome addition, background wallpapers for tiles add visual appeal.
The most welcome addition is allowing the user to save apps to memory card, earlier you just could not download games, the phone would always give you a low storage error!
Hi, I am using a Lumia 1320, as well.

I did not update it to 8.1, but I am unable to transfer music files from my phone, be it through Bluetooth or WhatsApp.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:55   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I am using a Lumia 1320, as well.

I did not update it to 8.1, but I am unable to transfer music files from my phone, be it through Bluetooth or WhatsApp.
You can try Aerize Explorer. It is a free File Manager that works OK on Windows Phone 8.0 as well.

I remember being able to send .mp3 files through it. And WhatsApp, well, they need to update the app incorporating the new freedom found in WP8.1. The only workaround right now, is to rename the .mp3 to a .mp4, move it to the WhatsApp pictures folder, then send the song like a video and once it's received, rename it back to .mp3.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:16   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Anyone here used AirWatch MDM Agent? Its a mobile device management app that is now mandated by my company.

I installed it on my Lumia 720 (running 8.1 via Developer Preview), but found that the app doesn't let me configure it all the way through. Moreover, it crashes quite often and requires a phone restart to get working.

There are several MDMs other than Airwatch, such as Citrix, Good, SAP etc.
Airwatch did not support windows 8.1 so far, though it was in pipeline. Not sure whether they've rolled out the support for windows 8.1, which could be reason for your issues with Airwatch MDM. You may have to hang on a little while. Nevertheless, Airwatch is quite a good software for managing mobile devices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks