Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 22:48   #1831
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
1) Is there a way to turn off touch tactile feedback (i.e. the screen vibrates when you touch the screen)
I'm not able to find the setting. :/ Are you talking about the capacitive buttons or the screen itself?

Quote:
2) Is there a way to turn of all notifications for one particular app.
You could try disabling it from running in the back ground.

Windows Phone 8.0:
Settings-> Swipe Right->Applications->Background tasks

Windows Phone 8.1:
Battery Saver app.
Old 16th August 2014, 23:00   #1832
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I'm not able to find the setting. :/ Are you talking about the capacitive buttons or the screen itself?
I was mistaken - it's not the screen. I want to disable the feedback from buttons below the screen - back etc.
Old 16th August 2014, 23:50   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was mistaken - it's not the screen. I want to disable the feedback from buttons below the screen - back etc.
Go to Settings -> Touch -> And set Navigation Bar to Off

You will have to restart the phone after changing this setting.
Old 17th August 2014, 01:59   #1834
BANNED

Quote:
Go to Settings -> Touch -> And set Navigation Bar to Off

You will have to restart the phone after changing this setting.
Inside Settings->Touch, I have only 2 options
Touch Sensitivity &
Double Tap to Wake up.

No Navigation Bar.
Old 17th August 2014, 07:14   #1835
BANNED

I installed the touch update and now I got the "Navigation Bar" in the Touch settings and was able to turn it off. Thanks Aswhin. One strange thing was when I went to the Windows Store App and searched for Touch, I couldn't find it - any idea why? So I went to my desktop, searched for Touch in the Windows Store using a browser & then emailed the link to myself and clicked on it in order to install it.

Any other useful updates anyone can suggest?

Quote:

You could try disabling it from running in the back ground.

Windows Phone 8.0:
Settings-> Swipe Right->Applications->Background tasks

Windows Phone 8.1:
Battery Saver app.
What I had done in my Android is the following
- Disable notifications at app level
- In Whatsapp settings, enabled Popup for individual messages and not for group.

This meant Whatsapp is running in the background but I get no toast notifications anything, but I get popup (not toast) for individual messages. There doesn't seem to be a way to enable popups here. I don't want to disable WA in the backgroup because I do want to receive notifications for individual messages. BTW, is there are a way in WA to select multiple messages - i.e. I want to delete or forward multiple messages at the same time - is it possible select more than 1?

The mute groups seems to provide a good functionality in Whatsapp, but you can set it only for a max of a week. Is there anything on Windows to automate the setting of this option every week?

Exchange Mail has a major deficiency as compared to Android - you cannot have a view which includes all folders - i.e you could chose to show mails continously as if you did not have any folders at all. I prefer a folderised view in the desktop but preferred the non-folderised one on the phone. Plus if I have to get notifications for non-Inbox folders, in windows I have to pin the folders to the tiles. In Android, having a view with all folders (or a group of them) would give you email notifications for all for all of them.

Last edited by carboy : 17th August 2014 at 07:17.
Old 17th August 2014, 09:48   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
..2) Is there a way to turn of all notifications for one particular app. For eg. in Android, I could go to settings->Apps->Chose the app & then turn off notifications for the app. This is not from the apps built in menu - but from Androids menu. I used this for Whatsapp - to turn off the toast for everyone and all groups. Is there a way to do this here. Here I saw Whatsapp has a builtin mute for groups (but not for individuals) but even there is lasts for just a week max.
If the O.S is WP8.1, you can do this via 'Notifications+actions' in the settings. Under this, the individual apps are listed,. If you select an app, there is an option to select/deselect 'Show notification banners'. Another option is to select/deselect 'vibrate'. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 17th August 2014 at 10:13.
Old 17th August 2014, 10:19   #1837
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
If the O.S is WP8.1, you can do this via 'Notifications+actions' in the settings. Under this, the individual apps are listed,. If you select an app, there is an option to select/deselect 'Show notification banners'. Another option is to select/deselect 'vibrate'. Hope this helps. Thanks.
No, the phone is running 8.0. Are updates to 8.1 available?

Quote:
One strange thing was when I went to the Windows Store App and searched for Touch, I couldn't find it - any idea why? So I went to my desktop, searched for Touch in the Windows Store using a browser & then emailed the link to myself and clicked on it in order to install it.
Faced a similar issue again. I searched for Files app from MS. I couldn't find it in the store. But I can find it from my desktop. This also seems to be a "Tools + Productivity" app just like "Touch". My store app seems to have only 3 options for Search "Apps from Nokia" "Apps" & "Games". How do I search for "Tools + Productivity" apps from the store app?

Last edited by carboy : 17th August 2014 at 10:27.
Old 17th August 2014, 10:25   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
No, the phone is running 8.0. Are updates to 8.1 available?
Do not know if its available immediately. But, as per http://www.nokia.com/global/support/...-asia-pacific/ , in India, WP8.1 for 525 is under testing and might be available shortly. Please keep checking for updates regularly.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 17th August 2014 at 10:28.
Old 17th August 2014, 10:36   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One strange thing was when I went to the Windows Store App and searched for Touch, I couldn't find it...
Yes, searching for these won't yield any results. You'll need to find the like yourself. Apparently because these are system updates are not your regular apps.

Quote:
This meant Whatsapp is running in the background but I get no toast notifications anything, but I get popup (not toast) for individual messages. There doesn't seem to be a way to enable popups here.

BTW, is there are a way in WA to select multiple messages - i.e. I want to delete or forward multiple messages at the same time - is it possible select more than 1?

The mute groups seems to provide a good functionality in Whatsapp, but you can set it only for a max of a week. Is there anything on Windows to automate the setting of this option every week?

Exchange Mail has a major deficiency as compared to Android
I don't think WP has popups for apps at all. And no, there is no way you can forward multiple messages at once, at least not yet. And neither can the setting be automated.

I haven't used Exchange Mail, so don't know.

Quote:
Faced a similar issue again. I searched for Files app from MS. I couldn't find it in the store.
Files is suppported from WP8.1 onwards.
Old 17th August 2014, 10:41   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
..Faced a similar issue again. I searched for Files app from MS. I couldn't find it in the store. But I can find it from my desktop. This also seems to be a "Tools + Productivity" app just like "Touch". My store app seems to have only 3 options for Search "Apps from Nokia" "Apps" & "Games". How do I search for "Tools + Productivity" apps from the store app?
Generally, it may take a couple of days for the updates to show in the Windows app store for a new phone. This I'm telling as I experienced the same when I got my Lumia 925. Also, my phone used to show updates late afternoon regularly. If there are updates for any particular app and you visit that app in the store, then there is an indication that it has an update. Otherwise, it showed updates in the late afternoons.

'Files' app is available for WP8.1 and not WP8.0 as far as I remember. There is a difference in the store appearance for 8.1 and 8.0.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 17th August 2014 at 10:42.
Old 17th August 2014, 13:18   #1841
BHPian

I updated my 720 to Cyan, Win 8.1 . Is there any way I can get cortana? I tried changing my location, language to US but that doesn't work. And how do I create folders on start screen? Trying to push an app on another doesn't work.
Old 17th August 2014, 19:10   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I updated my 720 to Cyan, Win 8.1 . Is there any way I can get cortana? I tried changing my location, language to US but that doesn't work. And how do I create folders on start screen? Trying to push an app on another doesn't work.
You can enable Cotana on WP8.1 Update 1 for India itself. After getting the update. Keep all settings to India but set speech setting to English (UK).
Old 17th August 2014, 20:33   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You can enable Cotana on WP8.1 Update 1 for India itself. After getting the update. Keep all settings to India but set speech setting to English (UK).
Any option to keep the old bing search when I click the search hotkey? I'm not liking the Cortana popping up unnecessarily and taking a lot longer to eventually load up the search results.

Here is what I would like - Invoke Cortana when I want to do so using the Cortana icon and let regular phone functions work the same way as before otherwise. I can disable Cortana but I would like to explore it when I'm free while I need to get things done faster when I'm busy without a Cortana layer slowing down things. Any way to do this?
Old 18th August 2014, 21:38   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Evil empire at it again - Skype apps for Windows Phone 7 are permanently retiring

Skype is supported on Android 2.3, iPhone 4, iOS 6 & higher versions. But not on WP7? Sadly WP7 phone cannot be upgraded to WP8. So it means WP7 folks have to get new devices to use Skype. Yet another gaffe for WP7 users. Though their phones hardware is capable, they cannot upgrade to WP8.
Old 18th August 2014, 21:55   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

So, after updating to 8.1 do I have to update again?

Because I tried changing speech to English (UK) and it doesn't work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks