Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 22:57   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Got a small update on my Lumia 720 running windows 8.1 DP. Couldn't find any release notes or change log related to this update.

MS should actually be more specific rather than just saying "Improving".

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows Phone Thread-1402680344443.jpg  

The Windows Phone Thread-1402680354169.jpg  

The Windows Phone Thread-1402680363653.jpg  

Old 13th June 2014, 23:23   #1727
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I am using HERE Drive as alternate to full fledged GPS and its impressive. In Delhi city limits, actual and permissible speeds appears on screen. If you are moving faster than permissible limits, one beep sound will come after every 5-10 seconds.
Old 13th June 2014, 23:38   #1728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Got a small update on my Lumia 720 running windows 8.1 DP. Couldn't find any release notes or change log related to this update.
Check this: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_pho...-roll-out.aspx

Quote:
This update enables some newly commercialized devices and tweaks a couple of new APIs, so you won’t see a difference on your device...
Old 17th June 2014, 00:35   #1729
BHPian

Hey guys, what do you think of the new Canvas Win 121 and the Win 092. My son has a L520 since January this year, now he wants to buy the 121. So my query is - Should I let him buy it? If I sell his 520 how much can i expect, and are Micromaxes reliable? I have heard they are all Chinese phones. Spec wise the 121 wins hands down, but again you factor in the quality, and Microsoft owning Nokia and knowing that it will receive updates for another 2 years. Will the Canvas end up like the low end Androids and wouldn't receive updates regularly. His B'day is on July 5 so I have an occasion to gift it to him. What say you all?
Peace!
Old 17th June 2014, 01:04   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Hey guys, what do you think of the new Canvas Win 121 and the Win 092. My son has a L520 since January this year, now he wants to buy the 121. So my query is - Should I let him buy it? If I sell his 520 how much can i expect, and are Micromaxes reliable? I have heard they are all Chinese phones. Spec wise the 121 wins hands down, but again you factor in the quality, and Microsoft owning Nokia and knowing that it will receive updates for another 2 years. Will the Canvas end up like the low end Androids and wouldn't receive updates regularly. His B'day is on July 5 so I have an occasion to gift it to him. What say you all?
Peace!
Gift him an android phone a Moto E/G will be great. I myself have L525, Moto G and E and can safely say that windows is better than Samsung touchwiz but stock android is the best of both worlds. Does not hang, Super fast along with a collection of a million apps. I play modern combat 4 on moto G and the experience is fantastic.
Old 17th June 2014, 03:16   #1731
BHPian

Can someone suggest a good surveillance software for Windows phone? Either free or paid but must be reliable and preferably covert. It should record all calls and txts and upload or email the same.

Last edited by Evil : 17th June 2014 at 03:19.
Old 17th June 2014, 09:42   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Gift him an android phone a Moto E/G will be great. I myself have L525, Moto G and E and can safely say that windows is better than Samsung touchwiz but stock android is the best of both worlds. Does not hang, Super fast along with a collection of a million apps. I play modern combat 4 on moto G and the experience is fantastic.
Well when I was buying him a phone in the first place, I advised him to go Android but he was insistent on Win phone. It turns out, that Windows phone is actually much better than Android. The experience is that much slicker. Now I find myself using the L720 more than my 5S. I think he wouldn't want to switch to Android yet. The Canvas Win 121 has good enough specs for him, it is the same chip as Moto E.
Old 17th June 2014, 13:03   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Well when I was buying him a phone in the first place, I advised him to go Android but he was insistent on Win phone. It turns out, that Windows phone is actually much better than Android. The experience is that much slicker. Now I find myself using the L720 more than my 5S. I think he wouldn't want to switch to Android yet. The Canvas Win 121 has good enough specs for him, it is the same chip as Moto E.

Lumia 630 is a disappointment in terms of specs. My L525 has double the amount of ram. Looks like the best option is to go with micromax. But i feel its better to wait for a few months if L520 is not giving any trouble considering Xolo and other manufacturers will be out with their 8.1 devices. I also expect nokia to cut prices of the 630 in response to these indian brands.
Old 17th June 2014, 13:28   #1734
BHPian

I ordered this phone from US

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_ativ_s_i8750-4960.php

which is available approx USD150 (unlocked). Will arrive by August end.
Old 17th June 2014, 14:27   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Peace!
Hi,

I would advice you ask him to stick around with L520. I don't think MMX built quality is anywhere close to Nokia (no offence to any users). Also we are yet to see how well is the sw / os integrated with the MMX Hardware. If he really wants to UPGRADE, you may check out the Lumia 630. I know a lot has been said, but compared to MMX i feel its a safe bet.

I have been a STRONG android supporter for last couple of years and have used about 6 to 7 different manufacturer android phones. I was using a Moto G till March when my wife decided to take it away from me and i ended up with a L720. Since then, there is no looking back. I don't miss my droid and i don't see myself going back to Droid anytime soon.

If i was to spend 8-10K for a phone and choose between MMX / XOLO vs Nokia / Motorola etc, i would go with the later blindfolded. If you son is willing to switch to Droid, Moto G is the one to buy.

Regards,
Old 20th June 2014, 11:16   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi, I am currently using Micromax Canvas HD since July last year and the phone is already giving trouble with frequent restarts. Also, I would advise never to go for Micromax whether android or windows as their service and support is pretty bad. I had to get the LCD screen replaced due to some issue, the phone was under warranty and even then they took 15 days to replace it. I mean in todays world who can leave a smartphone at the service station for 15 days.

On a side note, I am getting the Lumia 925 today, so its back to Nokia after 10 years for me.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:28   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

On a side note, I am getting the Lumia 925 today, so its back to Nokia after 10 years for me.
Hey, congratulations on the new Lumia! The 925 is a great device and superior to the 930 in many ways. I recommend you to go back a few pages and see how to install Windows phone 8.1. You would be extracting the most potential from your phone this way. Although rumoured dates for it are 24th June along with the new firmware a.k.a Lumia Cyan. Best of luck with the new phone.

About the Micromax, I am gonna let my son try it, because most of his friends have these type of bargain basement brands and they perform fine. Plus Microsoft has approved of these phones so I don't doubt its reliability.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited by thebfg : 20th June 2014 at 11:46.
Old 26th June 2014, 13:54   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Finally got hold of Lumia 925 and there is just one word to describe it "Awesome"

Came back to Windows Phone after a hiatus of close of a year. Earlier I was using Samsung's Omnia W WP7 phone. It was pretty uninspiring so moved over to a droid. But my Canvas HD started acting funny since the last few months and finally I could not take it anymore, coupled with a pathetic after sales from Micromax, I finally decided to switch back to Nokia (after 11 years).

Got the phone and also updated to Windows 8.1 Developer Preview in a jiffy.

Lock Screen with Bing Weather
Name:  wp_ss_3.png
Views: 573
Size:  300.4 KB

Home Screen with the wallpaper
Name:  wp_ss_1.png
Views: 424
Size:  292.6 KB

Phone Info
Name:  wp_ss_2.png
Views: 433
Size:  53.7 KB

Only one grouch I have and that too with Google, for stopping the Exchange Active Sync, I had to shift over my contacts to Outlook.com. But not able to sync emails as well throws up error 8007000E

Last edited by motomaverick : 26th June 2014 at 13:55.
Old 26th June 2014, 17:35   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

Only one grouch I have and that too with Google, for stopping the Exchange Active Sync, I had to shift over my contacts to Outlook.com. But not able to sync emails as well throws up error 8007000E
My wife saves all her contact on gmail, and also has two gmail accounts being used on the Lumia.
So what is this about?
Old 26th June 2014, 17:38   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
My wife saves all her contact on gmail, and also has two gmail accounts being used on the Lumia.
So what is this about?
Not sure but the contacts are not syncing in Lumia. Even when contacting Nokia they informed the same and gave alternate steps. I heard that Google has stopped the service since Dec 2013.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks