Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 05:15   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did somebody talk about battery drain? I forgot to charge my Lumia 720 for a while. This is what I saw today. See the bottom part of the image.

Attachment 1266634

The 720 my mom has does have an impressive battery life. The same is not so with my 925 which is has an OLED screen instead of the LCD on the 720. The battery barely lasts a day which is making things a bit annoying. Just hope that they release an update to fix this issue. Though this isn't a problem in my routine schedule, if we go on trips I have to hunt for a charging point often.
Old 27th July 2014, 08:18   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Did somebody talk about battery drain? I forgot to charge my Lumia 720 for a while. This is what I saw today. See the bottom part of the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The 720 my mom has does have an impressive battery life.
I have a 720 as well and I am not surprised. I have seen similar statistics in my phone. But the moment I use whatsapp or any IE based app, the battery drains a lot. This is more pronounced in WP8.1.
Old 31st July 2014, 22:58   #1788
BHPian

I recently bought a 630. I wanted to know how to record a call? In android, you have a lot of auto call recording apps, but, in WP8.1 it seems the OS mutes the phone mic for 3rd party apps while a phone conversation is in progress. Is there a work around to record my call, if not all, atleast specific calls? Any help in this direction is highly appreciated.
Old 31st July 2014, 23:38   #1789
BHPian

Updated my lumia 1320 with 8.1 today. Update is quite good and microsoft is certainly catching up with big players ios and android.
Notification panel is a welcome addition, background wallpapers for tiles add visual appeal.
The most welcome addition is allowing the user to save apps to memory card, earlier you just could not download games, the phone would always give you a low storage error!
Old 1st August 2014, 11:08   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
I recently bought a 630. I wanted to know how to record a call? In android, you have a lot of auto call recording apps, but, in WP8.1 it seems the OS mutes the phone mic for 3rd party apps while a phone conversation is in progress. Is there a work around to record my call, if not all, atleast specific calls? Any help in this direction is highly appreciated.
You cannot.
Its highly idiotic and stupid and ostrich-in-sand behavior by Microsoft.
But they have refused to acknowledge this as a problem - rather they claim its a feature to comply with the privacy laws of US.

By the way you could do the recording in 7.5 and 7.8 versions
Old 1st August 2014, 15:46   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1266634
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I have a 720 as well and I am not surprised. I have seen similar statistics in my phone. But the moment I use whatsapp or any IE based app, the battery drains a lot. This is more pronounced in WP8.1.
3 days!

My L720 barely gets through a day with the Dev Preview of 8.1. That said, WhatsApp is the biggest consumer of my battery. And I use WhatsApp considerably highly(You can thank 3 months of holidays for that!). I thought it would improve with the Cyan update, but the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is going live for those on the Dev Preview next week. So will be going in for that.
Old 2nd August 2014, 23:51   #1792
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

How good are the 5 series Lumias for someone who uses only Calling, SMS, Exchange Mail & WhatsApp? Only these 4 things are used but they are very important. Very very little browsing. No games.

A couple of years back I heard that it hangs occasionally which making/receiving calls - is this still true?

Also does it have the same build quality as the old time Nokias had?
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:14   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How good are the 5 series Lumias for someone who uses only Calling, SMS, Exchange Mail & WhatsApp? Only these 4 things are used but they are very important. Very very little browsing. No games.

A couple of years back I heard that it hangs occasionally which making/receiving calls - is this still true?

I have a Lumia 520 since the past one year. I also use only the four features you mentioned. My phone never hanged while making calls. It did hang a fee times while receiving calls. But that was solved after some or the other update. Never faced the issue thereafter. I recently upgraded to Developer version 8.1 and it has changed the phone completely. Its lovely now.

The build quality is very very close to the older phones. My phone falls at least twice daily and is still working.

Moreover the phones look more expensive than what you shell out for them. I would recommend it to everyone who don't use that many apps. Go for it eyes closed.

P.S. Please go for the black colour because finding back panel of other colours is easier. And black colour is matte finish which results in no scratches.

Cheers!
amansanc

Sent from my Windows phone

Last edited by amansanc : 3rd August 2014 at 00:16.
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:49   #1794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

For the kind of usage, I guess it is okay. Regarding build quality, I can vouch for it. The Lumia 710 I had looked bulky, but it withstood a lot of falls and hits from all angles. Believe it or not, I had smashed a mosquito or two since it was sitting on a wall and my phone was the nearest hard object. I purposely banged the rear of the phone onto the mosquito since I am strongly a hater of mosquito Not even the charger pin or earphone socket has become loose. The batter too hasn't degraded over the last two years.

That's why I brought another Lumia.

Compared to that the screen of my dads galaxy s3 cracked the very first time the phone fell down.
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:57   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Anyone looking to buy the Lumia 925 can do so on Amazon today. Costs 23500. Price on Flipkart is 27000.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:55   #1796
Senior - BHPian

WP8.1 Update 1 rolling out as developer preview. Just installed it on my L1520.
Old 5th August 2014, 19:08   #1797
BHPian

Windows Phone 8.1 Update rolled out as developer preview. Installed it on my Lumia 520. Feels a bit more responsive now. Don't know what are the other improvements.

Cheers
amansanc
Old 5th August 2014, 19:26   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Updating on my 8X - can't wait to have a look at the folders option that seems to be coming with this update.

BTW, I have around $3 windows phone store credit in my phone wallet that would expire in a month. Any good paid app recommendations which I can get with this?

If there is anything really good app in windows store, that would work too.

Last edited by zenren : 5th August 2014 at 19:28.
Old 5th August 2014, 21:42   #1799
Team-BHP Support

Had an incident that freaked me out completely!

My Lumia 920 was on the table and I was using a handheld blower to clean some stuff. The blower threw the jet over the phone and it fell down dropping from a distance of 2 feet, falling flat on the ground with the display facing down. It had a silicone cover over it. The device switched off and would not turn on. Pressed the power button and it still refused to power on. My heart skipped a beat! I thought I was done for.

Searched the internet for some help and came across a Youtube link wherein a guy was dismantling the device to fix a loose battery. Found that to be easy and opened up my device but the battery was still intact. Searched a bit more and came across another thread which mentioned that the phone turns off itself in the event of a fall and it would turn on if it is connected to the charger and the vol. down button, power button and the camera button is pressed for 10 seconds. It worked! The phone turned on.

Btw here are some dismantled shots:

The Windows Phone Thread-img_20140805_205813.jpg The Windows Phone Thread-img_20140805_205857.jpg

Freaked the hell out of me.
Old 6th August 2014, 00:21   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Updating on my 8X - can't wait to have a look at the folders option that seems to be coming with this update.

BTW, I have around $3 windows phone store credit in my phone wallet that would expire in a month. Any good paid app recommendations which I can get with this?

If there is anything really good app in windows store, that would work too.
Looks like it was some older update that I didn't install already. The latest update is on hold for HTC 8X and 8S due to some firmware issue they have identified.

Most Viewed