Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 16:36   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Nokia Lumia 1020 41MP Pureview Tech Demystified

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post

If u do not wish to have 41MP cam why dont you have a look at the other ones?
920-8.7MP
820-8MP
720-6.1MP
620-5MP
520-5MP

And all cameras are near best in their respective categories.
Perhaps you miss the point. I will not take my one-chance photos on a smartphone, period. MP does not even enter into the picture.

I have 2 Nokia Lumia 800, am very pleased with that and the windows OS, but not very happy with the recent delays in 925, etc. Would be interesting if someone had an idea about the gap between launch of previous Lumia phones and their launch in India. I think for some phones, it was beyond a reasonable time which should be max 1-2 weeks for an important market such as India.

Last edited by vasudeva : 31st July 2013 at 17:04.
Old 1st August 2013, 13:18   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Perhaps you miss the point. I will not take my one-chance photos on a smartphone, period. MP does not even enter into the picture.
Often the one-chance photo opportunity comes when some one is least prepared. I rarely carry a camera with me unless it is a dedicated travel. So a smartphone with good camera is lot more valuable to most of us. The 1020 MP count is not really a marketing gimmick. Check out some of the full resolution shots and what kind of information you can extract if you crop.
The next generation will bring even more interesting tech to the already amazing sensor.

BTW: India though an important market is not really a huge revenue generating market for most Phone manufacturers. They would rather put their focus more on US, China or EU.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:02   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
1020 is an R&D phone, rather than a phone designed by marketing. Somebody opened 1020 and here is what they saw inside, a pure technical overview - http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2...l_walkthrough/

What would be the size of the image at full resolution?
At full resolution your filesize of picture would be ~5MB. As many have commented above, its how those 41 Megapixels are used... true 41MP is the sensor (its quite one!). when image is captured, 3Megapixels are rejected as noise and resulting pixels processed "uniquely" (read Nokia IP) to produce one pixel that represents several and eventually an image of 4-5MB.
Old 1st August 2013, 21:52   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Often the one-chance photo opportunity comes when some one is least prepared. I rarely carry a camera with me unless it is a dedicated travel. So a smartphone with good camera is lot more valuable to most of us. The 1020 MP count is not really a marketing gimmick. Check out some of the full resolution shots and what kind of information you can extract if you crop.
Bingo!...the exact reason I bought Lumia 920. I missed many of those moments previously. Not anymore.
Old 1st August 2013, 22:46   #1085
Senior - BHPian

What's wrong with Nokia advertising some of the most advanced technology in mobile phone cameras?

It might be an R&D piece and not meant for an actual commercial launch, but that does not undermine the effort the company has put into improving the camera. It's equally important that engineers are left to design such outrageous (in a nice way) products so that the technology can actually be brought into the mainstream.
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:24   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Everyone is entitled to what they want out of a smartphone, but for me, photos were never for me.

I have been perhaps misunderstood and at the risk of being considered pompous, for me the `one chance opportunity' means something else. I am not shooting in a war zone or other such places where that may apply.

For all other situations, I carry my DSLR. What I meant was that if I was going somewhere even remotely interesting and where there might be a photo opp, I will carry a 1.5 kg DSLR. Much more rewarding overall for me. If there are still some `one chance opp' that I miss (no DSLR), well that is life to be lived, than regretted. For me, shooting with a mobile phone is a compromise not worth taking for me. Bottomline: I use proper and separate devices for making calls and shooting images, and do not compromise on either.

As to the topic at hand, I am more interested in 925 rather than paying for 1020. But as I said, one can dream on with Nokia.

Last edited by vasudeva : 2nd August 2013 at 08:40.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:42   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
All,

One of my biggest grouse on wp8 was the Here maps as it hardly has the POI's like google maps. I liked gmaps but it has it own problems like no voice navigation, does not zoom in and zoom out as per speed, does not show the distance for the next turning etc. still it was the best available when I bought the phone a few months ago and it did get the work done!

Now I came across a new app called google maps which is still not the official google maps, but what is interesting is that it can search POI's from the google database. Well, this is nothing that useful as gmaps already does that, but what this app does is you can click navigate and it allows you to navigate via HERE maps which suddenly combines the power of google map POI's with the fairly decent HERE maps.

I still can't comments the accuracy of HERE maps yet, compared to google but seems to be pretty decent Atleast within Bangalore....
Even I came across that application, and boy it is best of both worlds.
Also did anyone notice there was an update for Here maps, and after that I can see "places" around me!

I can see the minutest details like local shops and buildings on it! (this must be that same stuff being displayed on the City lens - but since I have 520, I never knew that Nokia has such a large Point of interest database, it was never visible on the map or even searchable)

But I wonder if these can be "searched" for?

Last edited by alpha1 : 2nd August 2013 at 11:43.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:20   #1088
Senior - BHPian

I had reset my Lumia 520.
Now every time i restart,it asks to select access point.
And i cannot edit the default one,any work around to overcome this?
Old 5th August 2013, 12:04   #1089
BHPian

ha!

I have been living the good life with the same camera module in my Nokia 808 for a year now.

http://www.manolin.in/search/label/P...Pureview%20808

so much so that I have taken out the DSLR only twice last year - only for weddings.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:22   #1090
BHPian

Big Issue with my Lumia 620

> Mike suddenly stopped working, this had happened in the past and it started by itself, this time around, it's been 2 days already and I am totally losing it now. I have tried restarting the phone a number of times, removed battery and everything. Checked recording, no voice input picked up.

> Can't sign in to my Nokia Music, says login already exists, tried going into settings and add a new username/password but it still gives the same error.

Anyone face this as yet, I am not getting time to visit the service centre, plan to do that tomorrow, what I read on websites tell me that the mike may need replacement.

Last edited by Trojan : 7th August 2013 at 14:26. Reason: Added details
Old 17th August 2013, 07:05   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Bought the Lumia 720 from ebay. The black one. Looks very nice and feels solid. The feel of the power/lock button on the side could have been better. The button doesn't feel very good compared to the rest of the phone.

Should I just cut the SIM through a mobile shop here or get a micro SIM?
Old 17th August 2013, 07:24   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Bought the Lumia 720 from ebay. The black one. Looks very nice and feels solid. The feel of the power/lock button on the side could have been better. The button doesn't feel very good compared to the rest of the phone.
Buy the Amzer case, that'll fix the power button issue. See my review at Amazon site.

http://www.amazon.in/Amzer-95687-TPU...lumia+720+case

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Should I just cut the SIM through a mobile shop here or get a micro SIM?
Read this experience: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3162767
Old 17th August 2013, 08:47   #1093
Senior - BHPian

^

Thanks Samurai. I will go the scissors way. I don't like case on a phone. So, I will skip that. Looking for a screen guard now.

The problem with the button is not its placement, but rather the 'feel' of it. So as rightly pointed out by you, it gets turned on easily even without intention.

The Lumia cannot be turned off when its charging is it?
Old 17th August 2013, 09:30   #1094
Team-BHP Support

Well, the case is so cheap. So buy it, try it and then throw it away if you don't like it.

I haven't tried to switch off while charging. It can happily go 3 days without charge under light use. But if you run whatsapp, it will be bring it down to one day.
Old 17th August 2013, 10:44   #1095
BHPian

Guys, how much time does the 520 take for a full charge?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks