Official IRCTC app available in WP store now:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...1-f3599c9f6b92

Looks like a WP exclusive.
Old 19th September 2013, 20:57   #1172
BANNED

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
@tsk1979. Why don't you try the Huawei ascend y300? It retails at Rs 7890 on flipkart. Huawei is quite an old player and should be reliable. Found decent reviews for the phone.
How good is Huawei's service network and customer service in India?
Old 19th September 2013, 22:13   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How good is Huawei's service network and customer service in India?
That is the thing which makes me worry about this brand. Otherwise looking at the Indicom handsets which have been used extensively over the years, they seem to be reliable. They had only one service centre here in Dhanbad, but when contacted they replied they had stopped servicing Huawei phones
Old 19th September 2013, 22:46   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I too am waiting for this update for my 720. I keep checking this page for the availability:
http://www.nokia.com/global/support/...-asia-pacific/

The update for 620 became available yesterday.
Looks like the amber update is coming in a few days. The status has changed from 'waiting for approval' to 'coming soon'.

Fingers crossed.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:46   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
I too am waiting for this update for my 720. I keep checking this page for the availability:
http://www.nokia.com/global/support/...-asia-pacific/

The update for 620 became available yesterday.
From the list i can see that 720 is the only device did not get any update in all the regions. The status is either "Waiting for approval" or "Coming soon".
Old 20th September 2013, 15:11   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Hi Guys

Like Tanveer, I too bought a Nokia Lumia 520 (Sky Blue Colour) last night for my wife! Paid Rs.9300/- which included - 1 scratch guard, 1 back cover (yellow colour) and 1 flip style case white colour.

Good things so far:
a) Looks neat and smooth.
b) Bright colours and good touchscreen interface
c) Been told that Windows 8 is at par with iOS - no offence to Android (I have a iPhone4)

Other observations (issues):
a) Tried to connect it with my MBP (Mac Book Pro); but could not sync the music nor any pics (maybe I need to read a bit more or experiment)
b) Let me know if I have to try something in specific
c) My wi-fi at home is not working as of now and I guess that is the only option to try, upgrade and update - games, music, and other essentials
d) Doesnt have flash so pics resolution has not been great!
e) I also feel that the home button can or may be obsolete soon; because of the constant pressing to start etc.

Do let me know how best I could educate myself and my wife on the usability and enjoy this upgrade. Is it possible that MBP interface bars usage of other platforms e.g. Windows / Android?

Let me know your feedback.
Mac has Windows Phone app available. It syncs with iTunes and iPhoto. The app isn't as good as iTunes but does the job.
Old 21st September 2013, 16:13   #1177
BHPian

Good news and a very bad news!

Good news is that I got my Amber update for my 720!

Ok, the bad news is that I dropped the phone and broke the screen. Pocket lighter by 9.5k :(

The phone flung out from my shirt pocket when the bike (i was riding pillion) hit a bump and it fell on the road. Screen shattered, but everything was working, including touch screen. I was heartbroken, but decided to get it repaired. Took it to the Nokia care and they fixed it in an hour! Display and back panel replaced. (Display alone costs around 7k - and paricularly for 720, the screen and the touchpanel is fused together. It is separate for other models, so the glass alone could be replaced at much less cost.)

The Windows Phone Thread-lumiabroken.jpg

Now, the good part - all my apps, emails, sms, contacts restored from cloud in less than half an hour I just had to login to the MS account at the first login and choose the restore point.
Old 21st September 2013, 16:47   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good news and a very bad news! Good news is that I got my Amber update for my 720!
Still I am unable to get the updates. From where you have got the updates.
Old 21st September 2013, 19:08   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Still I am unable to get the updates. From where you have got the updates.
sorry, failed to mention, it was the Nokia Care guys who did the update. I did not asked for it though.
Old 21st September 2013, 19:08   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry, failed to mention, it was the Nokia Care guys who did the update. I did not asked for it though.
Have a question since you have a white 720.
AFAIK the back cover is glossy for white and matt for other colours. So is the back cover prone to scratches?

Last edited by Pancham : 21st September 2013 at 19:11.
Old 22nd September 2013, 08:17   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Have a question since you have a white 720.
AFAIK the back cover is glossy for white and matt for other colours. So is the back cover prone to scratches?
Yes, it is prone to scratches, rather easily. I was careful in handling the phone and still the back panel got scratched quickly. I used to have a rear silicone cover, but removed it (bad, it could have saved the phone from the fall) because the dust that gets in between the cover and phone rubs the phone and makes the surface loose its gloss. Matt finish is much better in that way.
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:24   #1182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
used to have a rear silicone cover, but removed it (bad, it could have saved the phone from the fall)
If you were using the capdase stuff it looks bad on the phone. I found a hard case for my mum's 720 which has a hard back case and a flip pad in the front. Looks good and does not make the phone look extra fat. Its something like this - http://shopping.rediff.com/product/n...white/11905511 but I paid less than half of the price quoted. Same product but.
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:05   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good news and a very bad news!

Good news is that I got my Amber update for my 720!

Ok, the bad news is that I dropped the phone and broke the screen. Pocket lighter by 9.5k :(

The phone flung out from my shirt pocket when the bike (i was riding pillion) hit a bump and it fell on the road. Screen shattered, but everything was working, including touch screen. I was heartbroken, but decided to get it repaired. Took it to the Nokia care and they fixed it in an hour! Display and back panel replaced. (Display alone costs around 7k - and paricularly for 720, the screen and the touchpanel is fused together. It is separate for other models, so the glass alone could be replaced at much less cost.)

Attachment 1141447

Now, the good part - all my apps, emails, sms, contacts restored from cloud in less than half an hour I just had to login to the MS account at the first login and choose the restore point.
Just wondering if this is a common problem with Lumia 720 which comes with unibody design.

Typically the mobiles break into 3 parts while falling and this distributes the shock and prevents shatter(typically)

But i have seen at least 4 cases till date with 720 with similar condition as yours. Due to unibody design, If the phone falls, shock cannot be distributed and hence results in damage to the screen ?
Old 24th September 2013, 08:08   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
From the list i can see that 720 is the only device did not get any update in all the regions. The status is either "Waiting for approval" or "Coming soon".
The Amber Update status for both 520 & 720 has changed to "Available".
Old 24th September 2013, 08:43   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, the bad news is that I dropped the phone and broke the screen. Pocket lighter by 9.5k
bejoy, a colleague's 720 also shattered the display when his son dropped the phone. He had a cover and it still couldn't help the display. Everything works fine but the screen got too many cracks and held up by the screen guard. 9.5k is too expensive!

Isn't this a problem with all uni-body phones? The is no way to dissipate energy on impact. Need to be very careful with the 720.

Thanks for the heads up on Amber. Downloading as I write this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks