Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2013, 13:07   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Although I have been using an Android HTC One since last week, I am a great admirer of Windows Nokia phone for their simplicity, fresher interface, easier setups; offset by lesser features. I bought 2 Nokia Lumia 800 in Jan 2012 and consider them great in terms of both hardware and software. Of course, specs have improved since then, but still they do the job adequately and without fuss.
Old 25th August 2013, 22:18   #1127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
@tsk1979. Why don't you try the Huawei ascend y300? It retails at Rs 7890 on flipkart. Huawei is quite an old player and should be reliable. Found decent reviews for the phone.
There is one big requirement. Good quality turn by turn direction maps for a newbie. I can go Android + mapmyindia, but I am counting on the fact that nokia will soon release HERE drive+ for all phones(at a small cost).

Morever Here maps currently give you 100 countries(not here drive, but here maps). Here drive is good in India.

I also checked out the low end phones from samsung. Idea was cheap android + mapmyindia.
But user experience sucks.

Then I looked at Xolo and stuff. Great processor, though less ram, but the problem is the build quality with all these players. Voice quality is compromised, in some cases, the backlighting is iffy, giving the impression of a phone assembled in hurry without giving quality a thought.

Since this phone needs to
1. Make and receive calls
2. Use for skype
3. Use for GPS

The android app ecosystem is not needed.

I am trying to source the 520 for about 8000 INR (lowest I have found is 8500), lets see!
Old 25th August 2013, 22:45   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is one big requirement. Good quality turn by turn direction maps for a newbie. I can go Android + mapmyindia, but I am counting on the fact that nokia will soon release HERE drive+ for all phones(at a small cost).

Morever Here maps currently give you 100 countries(not here drive, but here maps). Here drive is good in India.

I also checked out the low end phones from samsung. Idea was cheap android + mapmyindia.
But user experience sucks.

Then I looked at Xolo and stuff. Great processor, though less ram, but the problem is the build quality with all these players. Voice quality is compromised, in some cases, the backlighting is iffy, giving the impression of a phone assembled in hurry without giving quality a thought.

Since this phone needs to
1. Make and receive calls
2. Use for skype
3. Use for GPS

The android app ecosystem is not needed.

I am trying to source the 520 for about 8000 INR (lowest I have found is 8500), lets see!
ya even i am not sure about the indian brands, that's why suggested huawei since they are old players. but if it's for skype, you'll miss the secondary camera on the 520, great phone otherwise. do keep us updated.
Old 25th August 2013, 23:08   #1129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
ya even i am not sure about the indian brands, that's why suggested huawei since they are old players. but if it's for skype, you'll miss the secondary camera on the 520, great phone otherwise. do keep us updated.
Why camera for skype. Use it for calls only
Old 26th August 2013, 06:52   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Why camera for skype. Use it for calls only
then 520 will be perfect for you. Keep us updated about where you source it from.
Old 26th August 2013, 12:23   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the verdict on Nokia Lumia 520
Normally for myself I would prefer Android, but for the user in question turn by turn navigation without data is a big requirement.
Nokia Here maps are the only thing which allow this.

Another requirement is ability to use skype for voice calls. I was told there were some issues which got fixed.

Some feedback please?
Also how is the voice quality and battery life?
Tanveer GPS works fine in the Lumia,it locks on to the satellites pretty quickly,i would say quicker than the iPhone 5.Voice quality is decent and battery just about lasts a day with 3G usage.Last weekend i was in Gurgaon,looking for my way out towards Kundli border.Switched on Here(offline) maps on 520 and Google Maps on the iphone.Google maps said left and Here Maps said right,i followed here maps and ended up on Old-Delhi gurgaon road,which was not less than a nightmare.Shut it down,and followed google maps which put me back on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway.

Other than this I have had decent experience with them,but they do lack the detailed info of Sygic/Google maps.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 26th August 2013 at 12:25.
Old 31st August 2013, 13:52   #1132
Team-BHP Support

So, we got the Lumia 520.
Good clean interface, and nice sensitive touch.
However, using the phone is a bit frustrating. Probably because we both are used to android where some simple things are easily possible.

For example, lets say I want to download some pdf files from the internet. We install adobe reader. Now how do I download file to device for offline viewing?

If want to organize pdf files to
1. Fiction
2. Textbooks
3. Manuals
This is pretty trivial in Android with folder creation.
Here it looks tough and is weird.

Here maps rock, thats about it. Need to figure out offline file reading. This phone will be used for
1. As an e reader
2. As a web browser
3. As a GPS
4. Some FB and stuff

Good enough for stuff other than (1).

PS: I never thought a modern day OS could lack simple file organization functionality. Organizing files by application is purely stupid. Would you organize your textbooks by publisher or subject. What if you went to a library and all books there were by publisher rather than subject. I am sure you would tear your head out.
Old 31st August 2013, 14:13   #1133
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
We install adobe reader. Now how do I download file to device for offline viewing?

1. Fiction

PS: I never thought a modern day OS could lack simple file organization functionality. Organizing files by application is purely stupid.
Yeah . That;s pretty stupid here . All the files gets Listed under Documents In adobe reader. no way to organize them. considering that PC adobe also do not support organizing docs , I suspect if this functionality will ever come to Mobiles .

Another Irritant i found yesterday night. It does n;t switch networks automatically while roaming . As soon as I get out of Delhi, i was without network while my other basic Nokia C2 searched automatically and adjusted , But not in Lumia. So When ever i am crossing state borders now, I am manually selecting network. Not sure if it's for me Only or other too are in same boat.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 31st August 2013 at 14:19.
Old 31st August 2013, 14:32   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Yeah . That;s pretty stupid here . All the files gets Listed under Documents In adobe reader. no way to organize them. considering that PC adobe also do not support organizing docs , I suspect if this functionality will ever come to Mobiles .

Another Irritant i found yesterday night. It does n;t switch networks automatically while roaming . As soon as I get out of Delhi, i was without network while my other basic Nokia C2 searched automatically and adjusted , But not in Lumia. So When ever i am crossing state borders now, I am manually selecting network. Not sure if it's for me Only or other too are in same boat.
Its only you,my phone is in roaming network 80% of the times,no issues here.
Old 31st August 2013, 15:00   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
So, we got the Lumia 520.
Good clean interface, and nice sensitive touch.
However, using the phone is a bit frustrating. Probably because we both are used to android where some simple things are easily possible.

For example, lets say I want to download some pdf files from the internet. We install adobe reader. Now how do I download file to device for offline viewing?

1. Fiction
2. Textbooks
3. Manuals
This is pretty trivial in Android with folder creation.
Here it looks tough and is weird.

Here maps rock, thats about it. Need to figure out offline file reading. This phone will be used for
1. As an e reader
2. As a web browser
3. As a GPS
4. Some FB and stuff

Good enough for stuff other than (1).

PS: I never thought a modern day OS could lack simple file organization functionality. Organizing files by application is purely stupid. Would you organize your textbooks by publisher or subject. What if you went to a library and all books there were by publisher rather than subject. I am sure you would tear your head out.
So you finally got the 520. Congrats. What price did you pay and where did you source it from? And trust me, I can very well understand your frustration. You moved from android, so that is obvious.
Regards
Old 1st September 2013, 10:32   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1.Yes even I am frustrated that there is no concept of file system in the Windows phone. The Symbian OS had a good file system and you could connect the phone to an external device and share files. Here you have to share via the "Sky Drive" folder. Good enough for dummies, but frustrating for those who want file system.
2.My phone - 710, switches network automatically. Check if you have set the network selection to automatic : Settings-> mobile network -> Network Selection -> Automatic
Old 1st September 2013, 10:45   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm facing the same issue but its mostly when I travel through areas with no coverage. Once the phone goes out of coverage area for a while, automatic network selection seems to be taking a long while to detect the network when its back in an area with low coverage (1-2 bars)

BTW, my phone is HTC 8X - so its not an issue with Lumia alone I guess.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:09   #1138
BHPian

Microsoft Buys Nokia - Finally it happened
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/2/468...-windows-phone
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:59   #1139
BHPian

Hi Guys

Like Tanveer, I too bought a Nokia Lumia 520 (Sky Blue Colour) last night for my wife! Paid Rs.9300/- which included - 1 scratch guard, 1 back cover (yellow colour) and 1 flip style case white colour.

Good things so far:
a) Looks neat and smooth.
b) Bright colours and good touchscreen interface
c) Been told that Windows 8 is at par with iOS - no offence to Android (I have a iPhone4)

Other observations (issues):
a) Tried to connect it with my MBP (Mac Book Pro); but could not sync the music nor any pics (maybe I need to read a bit more or experiment)
b) Let me know if I have to try something in specific
c) My wi-fi at home is not working as of now and I guess that is the only option to try, upgrade and update - games, music, and other essentials
d) Doesnt have flash so pics resolution has not been great!
e) I also feel that the home button can or may be obsolete soon; because of the constant pressing to start etc.

Do let me know how best I could educate myself and my wife on the usability and enjoy this upgrade. Is it possible that MBP interface bars usage of other platforms e.g. Windows / Android?

Let me know your feedback.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:05   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
Microsoft Buys Nokia - Finally it happened
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/2/468...-windows-phone
It is an interesting development, though it took a long time to happen. What will Microsoft do now, will they allow other manufacturers use Windows OS on phones or use it exclusively on Nokia phones? I sincerely hope that they come up with great OS and phone, challenge Apple and Android.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks