Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:13   #1021
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
We can develop TBHP app for WP8 and Win8.

I am interested and anyone to team along?
What do you have in mind?

I use WP 7.5. I have just begun with C#. Beginner actually. But interested to make an "on-the-go" app.
Old 27th June 2013, 12:31   #1022
Senior - BHPian

GAH! a two new (perhaps interlinked) observations/issues now:
1. Whenever I restart my phone, the phone starts with "Airplane mode" (I can see the icon), then "no signal" and finally it catches the signal.

2. There are intermittent periods when my phone shows absolutely no signal. I cannot dial anyone. Anyone else calling me doesn't get any conclusive message (like out of reach etc) - just plain silence. I use Airtel, but the funny thing is that all the other people around me HAVE full Airtel signal in the phones. How is this possible?

Today, just a few minutes ago, I faced this problem again.
On a hunch, I went to settings, switched on airplane mode, and then switched it off.
Full signal immediately!
Old 27th June 2013, 13:35   #1023
Team-BHP Support

I have just became a new member of the Windows Phone 8 fraternity with my brand new Nokia Lumia 720. Paid 15,749 at Amazon.in site.

Still finding my way around. So far quite delighted with the ease of use.
Old 27th June 2013, 16:31   #1024
BHPian

Finally A Windows 8 Phone - Lumia 820 for 18600 @ India times , Pdair flip case for protection @ 30 $
Old 27th June 2013, 17:05   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
GAH! a two new (perhaps interlinked) observations/issues now:
1. Whenever I restart my phone, the phone starts with "Airplane mode" (I can see the icon), then "no signal" and finally it catches the signal.

2. There are intermittent periods when my phone shows absolutely no signal. I cannot dial anyone. Anyone else calling me doesn't get any conclusive message (like out of reach etc) - just plain silence. I use Airtel, but the funny thing is that all the other people around me HAVE full Airtel signal in the phones. How is this possible?

Today, just a few minutes ago, I faced this problem again.
On a hunch, I went to settings, switched on airplane mode, and then switched it off.
Full signal immediately!
Ah! And i thought it was the hardware issue. Which handset is yours. I do have similar and other signal related issues on my samsung focus S. A few more problems made me move to the 920.. starts with the airplane mode, no signal, signal.,
Old 28th June 2013, 10:27   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
Ah! And i thought it was the hardware issue. Which handset is yours. I do have similar and other signal related issues on my samsung focus S. A few more problems made me move to the 920.. starts with the airplane mode, no signal, signal.,
I have Lumia 520.
OS version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware rev no: 1030.6408.1309.0002

I don't really have an issue with Point 1, as long as it doesn't affect the working.

However I did manage to pinpoint the problem of point no.2
Here is what goes chronologically:
1. Airtel signal drops out completely (pretty usual, nothing extraordinary).
2. Phone display no signal icon.
3. Airtel signal comes back (I know, because I tested point no 1 by going into a location where airtel is not able to reach, and at point no 3: I am back to location where I have full Airtel signal)
4. The phone still displays no signal icon
5. There is indeed no connectivity, the phone sits deaf & dumb, you cannot make calls, send sms, browse internet, cannot receive calls ...
6. Restart the phone.
7. Same status as #4 and #5
8. Go to settings, turn flight mode ON, and then OFF
9. Presto! You get full signal (in fact you can ignore #6 and straightaway jump to #8)

In the other news, I have one more issue, till date I have not been able to "find my phone". Looks like it is disabled for India (?)
Old 28th June 2013, 10:38   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Earlier when I was on Vodafone, it didn't happen or I never noticed it. But after I moved to airtel, I have seen this happening. Looks like this is airtel specific.

Also, does any Windows Phone support any of Indian languages? I mean reading non English content in the built-in browser.
Old 28th June 2013, 10:39   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have Lumia 520.
OS version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware rev no: 1030.6408.1309.0002

I don't really have an issue with Point 1, as long as it doesn't affect the working.

However I did manage to pinpoint the problem of point no.2
Here is what goes chronologically:
2. Phone display no signal icon.
3. Airtel signal comes back (I know, because I tested point no 1 by going into a location where airtel is not able to reach, and at point no 3: I am back to location where I have full Airtel signal)
4. The phone still displays no signal icon
5. There is indeed no connectivity, the phone sits deaf & dumb, you cannot make calls, send sms, browse internet, cannot receive calls ...
6. Restart the phone.
7. Same status as #4 and #5
8. Go to settings, turn flight mode ON, and then OFF
9. Presto! You get full signal (in fact you can ignore #6 and straightaway jump to #8)

In the other news, I have one more issue, till date I have not been able to "find my phone". Looks like it is disabled for India (?)
Indeed, there is a problem of the phone latching onto signal when the signal is actually back! I face this in my Lumia 820 as well. Especially gets annoying while travelling, when you wake up in the morning at your destination and find out its still shows out of range only!

But I simply go tot the Network settings and ask it to search for available Networks and then select Airtel there, instead of switching on or off. Please try that, until Microsoft fixes this.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:15   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Earlier when I was on Vodafone, it didn't happen or I never noticed it. But after I moved to airtel, I have seen this happening. Looks like this is airtel specific.

Also, does any Windows Phone support any of Indian languages? I mean reading non English content in the built-in browser.
Airtel is extremely pathetic and horrid.
But I expected all the service providers to be same ... your post gives weight to my complaint registered with Airtel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Indeed, there is a problem of the phone latching onto signal when the signal is actually back! I face this in my Lumia 820 as well. Especially gets annoying while travelling, when you wake up in the morning at your destination and find out its still shows out of range only!

But I simply go tot the Network settings and ask it to search for available Networks and then select Airtel there, instead of switching on or off. Please try that, until Microsoft fixes this.
It is highly irritating and inconvenient since unless I look at my phone, I never come to know that it has not managed to "regain" the connectivity!
Any way to register this with Nokia/Windows?

In your scenario, you expect the signal to be blank because your traveling and hence take corrective action, but imagine if this happens when you are just sitting in your office/home!

I tried the "search for available networks", didn't work out for me.
That's when I chanced upon the "airplane mode" method.
(The phone restart thing was just there to illustrate that even restart doesn't sort the problem)

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th June 2013 at 11:17.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:16   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it does. I know about Hindi and Kannada for sure. WP8 supports most native Indian languages. It also has regional language keyboards built in which is pretty cool for local language messaging.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:42   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Because they are no official native Google maps clients for Windows Phone. GMaps and the other clients that you talk about are not native apps and they don't have offline navigation and sadly Google refuses to release any official apps for the WP OS.

Edit: Oh and Here maps does have Jhumri Tilaiya.
LOL, yes I understand. But scroll to the bottom of my post for a nice discovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Do you have any clue for the mapping business or you are just trying to prove point about that Google maps are superior.

The areas which you have marked are highly sensitive. All the maps before being used for commercial purposes have to be approved by Survey of India. Survey of India has detailed list of buildings and areas which are not supposed to be included in the map database.

Whether its Google or HERE or MapmyIndia or TomTom maps can never be accurate in a country like India. I can show you thousand of flaws in Google navigation especially when it comes to routing.
Google map shows all your designated "sensitive" places. I can see you didn't check the attached pix in my post.
And if you talk about routing, even Here maps routing is nothing less than absurd (in spite of using fastest instead of shortest routing)

I don't have to prove that Google maps are superior. Anyone using it will know that Google maps are miles ahead of Here maps in India.

Quote:
POIs are limited, actually same as MMI PND. Hence search for names isn't as good as in Google Maps. House numbers are visible in full zoom for most places in Bangalore.
You have a good tool now for Windows phone:
"Google maps"
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...d-d980a3927148

It uses the downloaded offline Here maps and overlays it with Google map's data (traffic, places etc)
Best of both worlds!
Old 28th June 2013, 12:29   #1032
BHPian

Same problem with my Lumia 800 + Airtel. Restarting the phone solves the problem. But some times you do not realise that your phone is not on network. Other people keep complaining me that my phone is not reachable.

Anyone with non-Airtel provider facing same problem?
Old 28th June 2013, 13:04   #1033
Senior - BHPian

People having issues with the Airtel network should try changing the phones network from 3G to 2G and check if that helps. I have a suspicion that this is a problem with Airtel's 3G network.
Old 28th June 2013, 13:04   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Same problem with my Lumia 800 + Airtel. Restarting the phone solves the problem. But some times you do not realise that your phone is not on network. Other people keep complaining me that my phone is not reachable.
Anyone with non-Airtel provider facing same problem?
Same problem I've faced, when using Vodafone. Though the phone is a samsung focus with windows 7.5. Also, apart from the network disappearing the phone kept loosing the data connection.
In either case, restarting the phone didn't help had to manually search for the network and choose vodafone, and that worked 2/5 times. Replaced the sim card with a new one as the old hutch one was 9 years old but the problem persisted. Saw a similar problem with my cousins Lumia running windows 8, so I switched to android.

Have been using the phone with idea sim since, and surprisingly haven't faced any problem either with the network or data.

Edit: have faced the network problem with data switched off too.

Last edited by gendarmee : 28th June 2013 at 13:13.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:21   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Yes it does. I know about Hindi and Kannada for sure. WP8 supports most native Indian languages. It also has regional language keyboards built in which is pretty cool for local language messaging.
Good to know. Mine is WP7.8, still no such luxury :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks