Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 20:32   #1006
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The main issue with HERE maps is the fact that Nokia is not interested in MARKING the places. The roads are there, pretty accurate. But the places are not marked.

Some other place wouldn't even be marked on the map altogether (say Parliament). Somehow folks at Google maps appear to be more sensible and more hard working in getting the places marked.

If you intend to use map to "drive to a place" - here map is better.
My Friend,

Places like "Parliament" are purposely not marked as they come under sensitive areas. In fact for that matter none of the Defence would be ever part of the map.

Any mapping marking Defence areas is illegal.

Regards

Amit
Old 13th June 2013, 20:44   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Hope someone writes a WP8 for TBhp soon.. ( I can volunteer to do some coding if someone is planning/doing some efforts in this direction..)

The mobile theme of TBhp looks too basic on the large screen, though it was fantastic on my Nokia e71.
AFAIK - TBHP app is basically a customized version of Forum Runner - all the mods can buy WP8 phones but till Forum Runner builds it - no chance
Old 13th June 2013, 22:49   #1008
BHPian

We can develop TBHP app for WP8 and Win8.

I am interested and anyone to team along?
Old 14th June 2013, 11:37   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
My Friend,

Places like "Parliament" are purposely not marked as they come under sensitive areas. In fact for that matter none of the Defence would be ever part of the map.

Any mapping marking Defence areas is illegal.

Regards

Amit

I hope your post was in jest, because I did use the word "SAY". Instead of Parliament and India Gate, I could've used Hotel Taj or "Jhumri Talaiyya" also as a mock example.
I have already pasted the comparative images of Google maps and Here maps earlier in this thread to show what all is lacking in Here maps.

If your post was serious, then are you by any chance suggesting that Here maps places database is as good as google maps?
Example (using the sensitive areas)
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows Phone Thread-google-maps.png  

The Windows Phone Thread-here-maps.png  

Last edited by alpha1 : 14th June 2013 at 11:51.
Old 18th June 2013, 07:27   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The more pocketable 620 was finally chosen. This is one slick phone.
Please let us know about the battery life and the usability of the 620 as a GPS device. I am very eager to pick one up due to its size.
Old 18th June 2013, 10:54   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Please let us know about the battery life and the usability of the 620 as a GPS device. I am very eager to pick one up due to its size.
If you're going to use it as a GPS device then you have to keep it plugged in for charge. Even for an average use of 1 hour calling, reading and replying to mails, clicking 4-5 pics a day, listening to music for 15 mins and browsing for 15 mins (youtube+IE), it'll last you for 20 hours approx. Read more about its battery issues here: http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lu...ery-issue.html
Old 18th June 2013, 12:42   #1012
BHPian

My E6 was better for Navigation and 720 is not at all dependable.

I tried using navigation while going to Bannergatta Road from Kalyan Nagar ( Banaswadi). Nokia E6 had taken me to the location quite well. This time though I knew the road tried using Lumia 720. I would have hit a wall if I had listened to the lady . Even I tried to locate few places, I could not.

However, it pin points your present location quite well.

Kiran
Old 18th June 2013, 14:10   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Have been a Nokia maps user since Symbian devices and can say that Nokia HERE maps are not upto the mark. I don't know whether its because they have opened the platform to Android / iOS or some internal crap.

Recently compared a friends Nokia Lumia 920 with NOKIA HERE Maps with Lumia 800 running Windows 7.5 with older Nokia MAPS. Nokia Maps on LUMIA 800 is any day better than HERE MAPS on Lumia 920 and have 99% of the places on the map whereas HERE is unable to find the specific place / restaurant etc.

Have been using Google Maps since 2010 as I shifted to BB and GMaps have came a long way though still routing is not as good as Nokia but GMaps is getting there.

Nokia really needs to fix their HERE maps issues if they want to stay on top as a mobile navigator.
Old 18th June 2013, 15:25   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your post was serious, then are you by any chance suggesting that Here maps places database is as good as google maps?
I would say that both are on par. Only problem with Nokia maps is that they don't have places marked on the map and that is why the Nokia Drive app gives best results if you are online when you are searching for a destination.

Marking all the places on a map will only cause the downloaded map size to increase and then you will find people cribbing about map size.

The Windows Phone Thread-untitled.jpg
Old 18th June 2013, 15:26   #1015
Senior - BHPian

All right another funny thing: why is google map so fast on Android, but if I use gmaps or any other google map clients on my Windows phone - it is painfully slow to load the map!
Old 18th June 2013, 15:29   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All right another funny thing: why is google map so fast on Android, but if I use gmaps or any other google map clients on my Windows phone - it is painfully slow to load the map!
Because they are no official native Google maps clients for Windows Phone. GMaps and the other clients that you talk about are not native apps and they don't have offline navigation and sadly Google refuses to release any official apps for the WP OS.

Edit: Oh and Here maps does have Jhumri Tilaiya.

The Windows Phone Thread-untitled1.jpg

Last edited by vikram_d : 18th June 2013 at 15:33.
Old 18th June 2013, 16:36   #1017
BHPian

Quote:

I hope your post was in jest, because I did use the word "SAY". Instead of Parliament and India Gate, I could've used Hotel Taj or "Jhumri Talaiyya" also as a mock example.
I have already pasted the comparative images of Google maps and Here maps earlier in this thread to show what all is lacking in Here maps.

Example (using the sensitive areas)
Do you have any clue for the mapping business or you are just trying to prove point about that Google maps are superior.

The areas which you have marked are highly sensitive. All the maps before being used for commercial purposes have to be approved by Survey of India. Survey of India has detailed list of buildings and areas which are not supposed to be included in the map database.

Whether its Google or HERE or MapmyIndia or TomTom maps can never be accurate in a country like India. I can show you thousand of flaws in Google navigation especially when it comes to routing.
Old 18th June 2013, 17:00   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Hmm. Sadly a lot of house /door numbers are still missing. I can't find my home nor my head office which are both in the heart of Bangalore.
POIs are limited, actually same as MMI PND. Hence search for names isn't as good as in Google Maps. House numbers are visible in full zoom for most places in Bangalore.
Old 19th June 2013, 17:59   #1019
Team-BHP Support

Used Nokia Maps on my old E-72, and it worked well. The location search option (I forget what it was called) was pretty nifty and routing was good.

Don't have first hand experience with HERE maps, but most people I know who have experience with both almost unanimously agree the older one was better.

Google maps are good, but routing can be a nightmare sometimes. Not perfect by any means, esp. in India where traffic police go crazy with roads everyday.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th June 2013 at 18:00.
Old 22nd June 2013, 00:57   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Waze enters beta phase for Windows Phone 8, but as of now the beta version is only available for registered beta testers.

http://wmpoweruser.com/some-more-det...one-waze-beta/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks