Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 15:14   #2026
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Anyone tried the new gesture app? It performs basic call functions like picking up a call, mute/unmute and speakerphone etc without the need to touch the display:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/16/m...gestures-beta/

Installed it on mom's Lumia, and she found it to be quite intuitive and useful.
Old 19th December 2014, 20:33   #2027
BANNED

Looks really cool but no new Lumia in the house. Wont work on older Lumias i guess.

EDIT: Precisely why I think I cannot find it on the store.

Last edited by kisharchit : 19th December 2014 at 20:35.
Old 19th December 2014, 21:27   #2028
BHPian

I have been using a Lumia 730 right from the launch. Dad had to replace his iPhone 3GS. He saw the iPhone 6 and my phone. And guess what! He said the Lumia 730 is better! So got another Lumia 730 today. Noticed that the price has increased after the launch which is an extremely rare situation. Proves that the phone is a big success

Cheers
amansanc
Old 19th December 2014, 22:16   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Anyone tried the new gesture app? It performs basic call functions like picking up a call, mute/unmute and speakerphone etc without the need to touch the display:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Looks really cool but no new Lumia in the house. Wont work on older Lumias i guess.

EDIT: Precisely why I think I cannot find it on the store.
If one leaves out speakerphone gesture, rest of the features are already there as a part of Android since Jellybean versions, almost from two years ago AFAIK.

Last edited by mercedised : 19th December 2014 at 22:17.
Old 20th December 2014, 12:53   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
I upgraded Storyteller couple days back. Comes with a refreshed UI now. The 'upgrading' screen stays on for ~15 seconds. Maybe it requires an internet connection during the first start-up after updating? Please try that. I had my Wi-Fi on when I started the app after the update.
Thanks for your suggestions, I did have WiFi on when I opened the app. The issue was resolved after I uninstalled reinstalled Storyteller. Love the additional freedom with windows phones of being able to uninstall inbuilt apps and move them to SD.
Old 21st December 2014, 13:27   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post

Installed it yesterday, definitely a nifty feature to have on WP. Now its still in Beta testing phase, so can't really complaint, waiting for the final version.

One thing I found a little tacky was, when I tried to take calls while lying down (keeping my phone on my cheeks - to lazy to sit up! ), I was put on mute consistently. The good thing though was each time there was a vibration, so I knew I was put on mute.
Old 23rd December 2014, 18:01   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Installed it yesterday, definitely a nifty feature to have on WP. Now its still in Beta testing phase, so can't really complaint, waiting for the final version.

One thing I found a little tacky was, when I tried to take calls while lying down (keeping my phone on my cheeks - to lazy to sit up! ), I was put on mute consistently. The good thing though was each time there was a vibration, so I knew I was put on mute.
I installed an when I run it, I get the following message:

"Sorry, but gestures beta settings don't work with this version of Windows Phone"

Am running Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.12382.878).

Phone is a Lumia 925

Any idea?
Old 23rd December 2014, 18:56   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I installed an when I run it, I get the following message:

"Sorry, but gestures beta settings don't work with this version of Windows Phone"

Am running Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.12382.878).

Phone is a Lumia 925

Any idea?
Hi Civic-sense,

I am using this app for some time now, no issues so far.
I am also on WP 8.1 - Lumia Cyan, but my Firmware version is different from yours. It is - 8.10.12393.890 (Maybe because I changed the region to US to enable Cortana).

Are you using Truecaller? It is known to cause issues when used alongside the Gestures app. I would suggest uninstalling the app (both Truecaller & Gestures beta), reboot your device and try installing the Gestures app alone.

Also, do post a review with the details. You can rate and review the app by long-pressing on the app in the app list.

Hope this helps.
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:19   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Maybe because I changed the region to US to enable Cortana.
You don't need to change region to enable Cortana. Keeping the India region just switch your speech language to English (UK) and Cortana will work.
Old 25th December 2014, 19:34   #2035
BHPian

Finally took the plunge and bought myself shiny new Lumia 730.

Only one word to describe it- Awesome.

First time shifting from Android to WP, so keeping my expectations low, though I am excited to see the journey with WP for next few months.

I am however facing a small issue- The screen seems to be curved at the edges, hence no type of screenguard (plastic, tempered glass) is fitting perfectly on the screen, and is leaving bubbles all around the edges of the screen. Anyone else also face this issue? Any way around for the same?

Also could anyone suggest a nice case/cover for 730?

Thanks.
Old 25th December 2014, 20:23   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Finally took the plunge and bought myself shiny new Lumia 730.

Only one word to describe it- Awesome.

First time shifting from Android to WP, so keeping my expectations low, though I am excited to see the journey with WP for next few months.

I am however facing a small issue- The screen seems to be curved at the edges, hence no type of screenguard (plastic, tempered glass) is fitting perfectly on the screen, and is leaving bubbles all around the edges of the screen. Anyone else also face this issue? Any way around for the same?

Also could anyone suggest a nice case/cover for 730?

Thanks.

Congrats for the lovely phone you just bought. I too have the same since the launch.

Regarding the screenguard, tempered glass ones wont fit properly. But normal ones will fit pretty easily. Infact nokia itself sells one. You can get one from a nokia store or some local shops too. Should cost between 150-200 bucks. Available on flipkart too for ₹150. It fits beautifully. Hope this helps.

Cheers
amansanc
Old 25th December 2014, 22:32   #2037
BHPian

Forgot to write about cases in the previous post.

Nokia has a really nice flip cover for Lumia 730. MRP is ₹549. I bought it for ₹400 from a Nokia priority store. The quality is very good. Worth the money. Was using a non branded decent quality back cover earlier. That wasn't bad either.
Old 26th December 2014, 09:18   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Forgot to write about cases in the previous post.

Nokia has a really nice flip cover for Lumia 730. MRP is ₹549. I bought it for ₹400 from a Nokia priority store. The quality is very good. Worth the money. Was using a non branded decent quality back cover earlier. That wasn't bad either.
Thanks for the info. Will visit nokia store today and check it out.

Loving every minute with the 730.

Phone is smooth, excellent user interface, and no lag. A refreshing change from Android UI.
Old 30th December 2014, 12:02   #2039
BHPian

Friends I want a mobile with the best camera. Now Nokia 1020 is available as low as 24K. I am really tempted. What say?
Old 30th December 2014, 12:18   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am looking to buy Lumia 535 for my father. He was using a normal phone till now. But, I have read it has touchscreen issues, anyone here using 535 could confirm? Also, is there any better Windows phone choice under 10K?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks