Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 09:51   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I am using desktop version. I cant find "Remember me" check box though. Even inside advanced settings.

My broadband at home requires me to authenticate by logging into their webpage at times. And putting in credentials manually is a pain on mobile.
I was referring to the checkbox in the login screen of most web sites, not any phone specific option.

Name:  remember me.png
Views: 642
Size:  3.5 KB

If your broadband authentication page doesn't have the checkbox option of saving the password, I guess you'll need to type in credentials every time.

BTW, you can add username as a valid word to phone dictionary so that it comes up in the suggestion when you type first couple of characters. At least half the pain of typing in credentials can be bypassed. For passwords, you can make it mobile friendly by grouping the alphabets together and numeric and special characters together; you don't have to switch between keyboard layouts frequently in that case

Even I have a similar issue - connecting to internet needs to be done at Wifi router level for me. Credentials are saved in the router but I still need to access the router admin page to connect to internet every time ISP disconnects me due to idle timeout. It can be done from laptop or phone, depending on which one I use first in the morning. It usually gets disconnected due to idle timeout overnight but stays online when at least one device uses the net connection.

Last edited by zenren : 12th November 2013 at 09:54.
Old 13th November 2013, 11:40   #1337
BHPian

I will be purchasing Lumia 925 this week. I have used Lumia 710 in the past so I am aware of Windows Phone OS interface and it's pros and cons.

Can existing Lumia 925 users on the forum help me with the phone experience and also with problems in particular related to Lumia 925.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:23   #1338
BHPian

Has anyone here been as unlucky as me to have shattered his/her Lumia 720's screen? If yes, kindly tell me the damage caused by it to your wallet.

On the other hand. Very impressed by it's built. There are no other scratches as it tumbled down from 3rd floor staircase before taking a detour all the way down to ground floor (about 30ft fall).
Old 15th November 2013, 12:32   #1339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Has anyone here been as unlucky as me to have shattered his/her Lumia 720's screen? If yes, kindly tell me the damage caused by it to your wallet.

On the other hand. Very impressed by it's built. There are no other scratches as it tumbled down from 3rd floor staircase before taking a detour all the way down to ground floor (about 30ft fall).
A friend of mine got the screen replaced from a local repair guy for 4-5K. The screen & finish looks great but touch behaviour is not good. The screen goes crazy every now and then and behaves as if someone is touching it all over. My friend is planning to buy a new phone now.

So I think it's best to get it repaired from Nokia even if it costs much more.
Old 15th November 2013, 13:31   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, it used to be around 8.5k for the Lumia 820 screen back in March. Expect a little more than this, since 720 comes with Gorilla Glass while 820 doesn't.
Old 15th November 2013, 14:21   #1341
BHPian

Quote:

You have got company. 9.5k for screen and the back panel. Check my post here
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So I think it's best to get it repaired from Nokia even if it costs much more.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
IIRC, it used to be around 8.5k for the Lumia 820 screen back in March. Expect a little more than this, since 720 comes with Gorilla Glass while 820 doesn't.
Issue with 720 is that the glass, lcd and the touch layer is fused together. I think the other models may have the glass separate and can be changed individually, if the lcd/touch is working.
Old 15th November 2013, 14:59   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Issue with 720 is that the glass, lcd and the touch layer is fused together. I think the other models may have the glass separate and can be changed individually, if the lcd/touch is working.
I think its not fused in 820 but that doesn't really help, since the broken glass (and it does break easily in case of 820!) typically damages the other layer in most cases - experiences of a couple of friends who got their 820 screen broken with fall from shirt pocket. (3-4ft fall)

9.5k seems to be a better deal, considering you get Gorilla glass for an additional 1k in case of 720. May be anyone with a broken screen for 820 should try 720 screen. IIRC, both are of the same dimension, resolution and ppi.
Old 15th November 2013, 15:04   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...experiences of a couple of friends who got their 820 screen broken with fall from shirt pocket. (3-4ft fall)

...May be anyone with a broken screen for 820 should try 720 screen. IIRC, both are of the same dimension, resolution and ppi.
Touch wood, my 820 fell down on ceramic floor when I slipped it from my shirt pocket once, and it fell off from the middle berth on the train and survived both
And I already asked the service centre once, 720 screen / cover or even the scratch guard cannot be used on the 820 straightaway !
Old 15th November 2013, 16:37   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Lumia 820's screen is currently broken. I have been quoted 6K for the screen and 2.5K for the touchpad by a local store. I need to take it to Nokia though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
You have got company. 9.5k for screen and the back panel. Check my post here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Touch wood, my 820 fell down on ceramic floor when I slipped it from my shirt pocket once, and it fell off from the middle berth on the train and survived both
And I already asked the service centre once, 720 screen / cover or even the scratch guard cannot be used on the 820 straightaway !
Lucky you. My son used to keep throwing the phone and nothing happened to it and when it just slipped out of my hand while sitting on a chair, it got damaged. All said and done, once you use a windows phone, you cannot think of going in for android. I saw close to 60 phones when I was quoted 8K for the screen and then decided to get it fixed.
Old 15th November 2013, 17:11   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
My Lumia 820's screen is currently broken. I have been quoted 6K for the screen and 2.5K for the touchpad by a local store. I need to take it to Nokia though.
Should be roughly the same quote even at Nokia Care if 720 screen is currently at 9.5k. Stick to Nokia Care as you can be sure about the genuine parts.
Old 15th November 2013, 23:47   #1346
BHPian

@bejoy

Called up the Nokia Care centre. They said it'll cost about 7.5K

And this is a quote given over phone, I hope it doesn't increase by the time I go to their service centre tomorrow.

OT: I was planning to buy Lumia 520 for my brother. Guess he'll have to wait
Old 17th November 2013, 11:05   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the GDR3 on my 8X and loving it.

Haven't gone over the entire list but the following have already proved useful/interesting in the couple of days:
  • Ability to charge the phone while being switched off - have been missing this for almost 3 years now!
  • Ability to close apps from the multi task screen
  • Orientation lock
  • Data sense (separate tracking for usage via data connection and Wifi)
  • Driving mode with auto reply (though I would have loved more customization options here!)

Last edited by zenren : 17th November 2013 at 11:11.
Old 17th November 2013, 18:23   #1348
Senior - BHPian

My Nokia Lumia 720's Freezing Issues have stopped over the past 2 weeks. I don't know how. I don't remember any updates from Nokia, except for perhaps the Access Point update. I'm not sure if the freezes have stopped because of the update. But a few days prior to the update, I would get OTA Error from the SIM, which has since stopped since I got the Access Point update.

I have installed the Nokia Camera app on my Lumia 720 and right now, I am getting the Nokia Refocus app.

Having tried the Nokia Camera, it's useful if you like to tinker around and find out what suits the phone best. Not recommended if you don't like to experiment and end up with a few terrible shots in the process.

Nokia Refocus apparently needs a very steady hand to get good results from the app. Photos are saved in 1MP resolution, so expectations are to be kept low.

OTOH, Microsoft's Blink seems like a really nice app. As does Weave News Reader.

And fans of Infinite Runner games like Temple Run can get Dark Lands for free today. It is an Infinite Runner with a touch of RPG.

Have a nice Sunday!
Old 18th November 2013, 21:17   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Haha, I had to jinx it! My phone froze 3 times today. Twice with the memory card inserted and once with the memory card removed. So I doubt it's the memory card.

Strange, I installed Dark Minds and Nokia Refocus yesterday. Uninstalled Nokia Refocus as I didn't find it very useful. I had also installed Top Gear news and Weave News Reader the day before. Must be because of either Dark Minds or Nokia Refocus perhaps? I had also disallowed Insider and Weave News Reader to work in the background.

Damn, I feel stupid. :
Old 19th November 2013, 17:22   #1350

Hi, I own a lumia 920, for some crazy reason the phone stopped working, when contacting the service centre I was informed that my phone is damaged and is not covered under warranty, with some internal links i got the phone replaced but the phone seems to have the board of ITALY and i am unable to download free songs from Nokia Music. Does anyone have and ideas on how can i sort this issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks