Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:34   #1471
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Does the Nokia Lumia 925 has inbuilt GPS speedometer app and compass app or should we have to download from the Windows store. If so, any good suggestions for the same. Thanks.
The Here+ navigation app gives the speed of your vehicle, and extremely accurate I must say. In case this is what you were looking for.
Old 24th December 2013, 09:39   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The Here+ navigation app gives the speed of your vehicle, and extremely accurate I must say. In case this is what you were looking for.
Even the gMaps does the same, in case someone with a non-Lumia WP is interested.
Old 24th December 2013, 10:33   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Basically, i'm looking for an app which tells the speed of the vehicle in which we are travelling, be it on road or on a train (primary requirement), without the use of additional maps. The app should show the speed just by using GPS. Hence, the request. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 24th December 2013 at 10:35.
Old 24th December 2013, 10:52   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Basically, i'm looking for an app which tells the speed of the vehicle in which we are travelling, be it on road or on a train (primary requirement), without the use of additional maps. The app should show the speed just by using GPS. Hence, the request. Thanks.
There is an app called Free GPS Speedometer. This will do what you are looking for.
Old 26th December 2013, 00:01   #1475
BHPian

Does the Lumia 520 come with 3G? I was watching an unboxing video by WP Central and the guy mentioned that it doesn't have HSDPA.

Also how is the keyboard on the device? Can we install something like SwiftKey? Does the stock keyboard have swipe?
Old 26th December 2013, 17:29   #1476
BHPian

Strange thing I noticed today on my friends lumia 625

1. Copied movies , music to my laptop from the phone's memory card
2.Inserted the card back to the phone and formatted it in the phone .
3.Copied back the movies into the videos and music folders created by the phone (after formatting )
4.Now I see duplicate names . Even though there is only 1 copy of the movie file , I see 2 listings of each movie file .

For Ex : Movie 1
Movie 1
Movie 2
Movie 2
Movie 3
Movie 3

I checked the space occupied on the memory card , it has not taken up any extra space. How do I fix this ?

Last edited by girimajiananth : 26th December 2013 at 17:30.
Old 27th December 2013, 10:42   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Does the Lumia 520 come with 3G? I was watching an unboxing video by WP Central and the guy mentioned that it doesn't have HSDPA.

Also how is the keyboard on the device? Can we install something like SwiftKey? Does the stock keyboard have swipe?
It has 3g. I have one and clearly shows the option to select 3g and 2g as preferred data speed.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:33   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Strange thing I noticed today on my friends lumia 625

1. Copied movies , music to my laptop from the phone's memory card
2.Inserted the card back to the phone and formatted it in the phone .
3.Copied back the movies into the videos and music folders created by the phone (after formatting )
4.Now I see duplicate names . Even though there is only 1 copy of the movie file , I see 2 listings of each movie file .

For Ex : Movie 1
Movie 1
Movie 2
Movie 2
Movie 3
Movie 3

I checked the space occupied on the memory card , it has not taken up any extra space. How do I fix this ?
Delete all the files which appear twice from video hub and then load them again.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:51   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Delete all the files which appear twice from video hub and then load them again.
I did that . Now there is only 1 file name . But will it happen again ?
Old 27th December 2013, 12:13   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I did that . Now there is only 1 file name . But will it happen again ?
It seems they are not cleaning up the list in the videos hub if the actual file gets deleted without involving the videos hub.

If you manually delete the file from the SD card, then this problem will occur again. Once you reload the same file, an additional entry gets added. Next time, you can go to the videos hub and delete the invalid entries before loading them again to the card/phone.
Old 27th December 2013, 21:56   #1481
BANNED

Looking a phone, how's 925 v/s 1520 ? Anybody using 1520 here, any idea on price of these handset in grey market ?
Old 30th December 2013, 08:40   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India launches WP app.

Link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...59?signin=true

Mods,
When are you planning for the TBHP app? There were some hints about something in the pipeline by year end. We are just 2 days away from 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Looking a phone, how's 925 v/s 1520 ? Anybody using 1520 here, any idea on price of these handset in grey market ?
I would strongly discourage grey market for the smartphones. You'll lose a lot more in case your phone gets bricked due to an update and you need to take it to Nokia Care. Most new OS revisions have this risk of some update not being fully compatible with a specific phone model and so on which would be addressed for free if you are within warranty. I've seen some devices getting bricked in the initial days of WP7 as well as WP8 which were replaced free of cost under warranty. By the time your phone goes out of warranty, it would be a popular model and devs would have got a hang of it regarding what works and what doesn't.

OT: Nice choice for username

Last edited by zenren : 30th December 2013 at 08:52.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:19   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am positively sure now that it is not AIRTEL's issue.
I faced this problem at home as well as office.
No other AIRTEL subscribers at my office faced this problem.

Anyway since your post - I have kept my phone on manual date & time setting.
However, my phone just hung with black screen (but with correct time visible on top right edge) a few minutes back.
Restarted it - got wrong date & time!

Can others please try this with their phones?
Just restart your phone with and without automatic date & time. And see if the date & time setting of your phone screws up ...
A followup - I have read around and lot of people face this issue with the Windows phone. The funny thing is that I read about someone (on Lumia 800) who also faced this problem. Imagine - the idiots at MS claim this is a "feature" (read the point no.1 below) and have not come up with a bug fix.

The issue are three fold:
1. Windows phone has idiotic system of resetting the date/time (but to a random date/time) when you restart the phone. I think this is a high level of immaturity shown in software development by MS.
2. The auto-update of time/date is iffy. It happens sometimes, it doesn't happen the other times.
3. What I observed (and what the person whose Lumia 800 faced the problems) is that the auto-update NEVER happens when you are on wi-fi.

Last edited by alpha1 : 30th December 2013 at 11:22.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:34   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I observed (and what the person whose Lumia 800 faced the problems) is that the auto-update NEVER happens when you are on wi-fi.
Auto-update works on Wi-Fi, at least occasionally. I've changed the date/time on my phone while playing certain games and set it back to auto update once I was done. It has worked for me.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:48   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can others please try this with their phones?
Just restart your phone with and without automatic date & time. And see if the date & time setting of your phone screws up ...
I have tried what you have asked on the following phones and they have all worked perfectly.

L920, HTC 8x, HTC HD7, L510, L800 and also on my old HTC HD2. The last 4 phones are running WP7.8. I have not had the problem that you have mentioned with any of the phones. I set date time to manual and then restart the phone and the date/time are always correct.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks