Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 17:29   #1546
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'm told it works for hotmail/outlook but not for lotus notes (ours is hosted on lotuslive) or gmail. please help me with your specific account type on whichit works. We just tried on a colleague's 820 and failed.
Seeing your post I just tried the same thing on my 820. i.e. forwarded a mail with attachment from my gmail account to outlook. No issues, worked just fine.
Old 31st January 2014, 17:46   #1547
BHPian

Does anyone know how to dev unlock a Lumia 520. Getting an edu account isn't possible anymore & SDK is too large for me to download. Looking for other methods. Please help!
Old 31st January 2014, 17:49   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was very interested in the Lumia 720 (and maybe the 625), but I read

http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44627 . This was manageable but the basic flaw - that you can't forward emails with attachments (neither official lotus notes nor gmail). That is a complete and utter deal breaker for me - is that true for other folks as well?
I did something very simple right now:
1. sent an email from my office ID to gmail containint xls, ppt, doc, pdf, mp3, 3gp files
2. checked the gmail on my WP8 (did not download the files to my phone - but I don't see how that makes any diff)
3. forwarded the email back to my office ID
4. received the email on office ID with all attachments intact

But yes, something pretty funny I observed. You cannot edit the original email text that your are forwarding.
Old 31st January 2014, 18:03   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I did something very simple right now:
1. sent an email from my office ID to gmail containint xls, ppt, doc, pdf, mp3, 3gp files
2. checked the gmail on my WP8 (did not download the files to my phone - but I don't see how that makes any diff)
3. forwarded the email back to my office ID
4. received the email on office ID with all attachments intact

But yes, something pretty funny I observed. You cannot edit the original email text that your are forwarding.
Thanks man! Even BB doenst let you edit emails u are forwarding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Seeing your post I just tried the same thing on my 820. i.e. forwarded a mail with attachment from my gmail account to outlook. No issues, worked just fine.
Thanks guys. Let me see. Any of you use Lotus notes or do you guys have outlook for the office email ID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
One can do it. Quite possible. Btw you seem to be reading the thread/post wrongly - the author seems to be pointing out exactly this point that you can do it on a WP.
That thread has things you can do now, but below that are some ten things which they mention as still not fixed - but I said I'm okay with that for now, except the email attachment bit.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:24   #1550
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I'm told it works for hotmail/outlook but not for lotus notes (ours is hosted on lotuslive) or gmail. please help me with your specific account type on whichit works. We just tried on a colleague's 820 and failed.
HI Phamilyman ,

Has your colleague Managed to configure Lotus Notes on Windows phone. I am forced to Use lotus notes via U C browser .

In case he was successful , Appreciate if you could share the procedure for same
Old 31st January 2014, 23:10   #1551
Senior - BHPian

For Lotus Notes to work you need to have the Traveller thingy enabled on your Notes profile. My cousin is using his L920 with his notes account and it works great.
Old 1st February 2014, 01:08   #1552
BHPian

Just bought a Lumia 525 and I pretty much like the phone.

Got some doubts -

1) Nokia is offering some free games from Gameloft worth Rs. 2045 so I was just wondering how to download them.

2) When I connect to WiFi, the top panel shows the wifi symbol but it also shows the H (3G) symbol. Why? In android, the 3G symbol used to go away when wifi was connected. Now how do I confirm whether the phone is using 3G data or wifi for the internet usage?

3) When I click on Smart Camera, nothing happens! What do I need to do?
Old 1st February 2014, 08:14   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
When I connect to WiFi, the top panel shows the wifi symbol but it also shows the H (3G) symbol. Why? In android, the 3G symbol used to go away when wifi was connected. Now how do I confirm whether the phone is using 3G data or wifi for the internet usage?

If WiFi is connected then WP will use that rather than the 3G connection. It will use 3G only if the WiFi does not have an internet connection.

Use Nokia Camera instead, it has Smart Camera built in.
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:24   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Just bought a Lumia 525 and I pretty much like the phone.

Got some doubts -

1) Nokia is offering some free games from Gameloft worth Rs. 2045 so I was just wondering how to download them.

2) When I connect to WiFi, the top panel shows the wifi symbol but it also shows the H (3G) symbol. Why? In android, the 3G symbol used to go away when wifi was connected. Now how do I confirm whether the phone is using 3G data or wifi for the internet usage?

Download "ActiveNet Now!"
It shows what is the active network methodology being used by your phone.
Download "Data Sense"
This will allow you to track your mobile internet usage.

Quote:
Thanks man! Even BB doenst let you edit emails u are forwarding!

Thanks guys. Let me see. Any of you use Lotus notes or do you guys have outlook for the office email ID?

That thread has things you can do now, but below that are some ten things which they mention as still not fixed - but I said I'm okay with that for now, except the email attachment bit.
Not much idea about Lotus notes, but I can give you one strong reason to not consider WP platform.
You cannot record phone conversations. I don't care a darn about the legality angle - but the fact is that WP suspends all running apps during the phone call. Which means even if you do have a hack and program to record the conversations - it won't.
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:50   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My dad has been a Lumia user since almost 2 years now. He has the Lumia 710 which he bought in 1st week of its launch. Anyways, after all this while the phone has started showing signs of ageing in terms of battery life mainly. I tried convincing him to change the phone but he is not ready to leave the Lumia platform.

I showed him Lumia 525 & Lumia 720. He liked the Lumia 525 but was not happy with the "NO FLASH" on it. Even though it hardly matters but still. One of the store guys told him that the way 520-->525 happened, 720-->725 shall happen soon and 720 will feel outdated. Is this true?

Coming down to his useage
1. Emails
2. SMS
3. Whatsapp
4. Cricket score apps
5. Currency exchange apps
6. Browsing

He uses maps once in a while when we are travelling. He is impressed by the large battery life and the camera of the Lumia 720. What is the feedback of the Lumia 720 users in the house?

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 3rd February 2014 at 11:54.
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:04   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Anyways, after all this while the phone has started showing signs of ageing in terms of battery life mainly.
If battery is the only issue, just replace the battery (can use the old one as spare ). If the tyres wore out you won't replace the car, do you?
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:06   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If battery is the only issue, just replace the battery (can use the old one as spare ). If the tyres wore out you won't replace the car, do you?
I agree.

I should have been more clear. My Mistake.

Battery is one thing, but what i really wanted to know is, IS 720 really going to be outdated? Lumia 710 is not going to be updated now with any os updates and 720 the camera and screen is impressive.

Does it make sense to go in for Lumia 720?

Regards,
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:16   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the feedback of the Lumia 720 users in the house?
The 720 is a good phone but yes it almost a couple of years old in the market now. Why don't you look at the Lumia 625 which is relatively newer and is awesome handset.
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:29   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The 720 is a good phone but yes it almost a couple of years old in the market now. Why don't you look at the Lumia 625 which is relatively newer and is awesome handset.
Lumia 625 is amazing, no doubts there. But the issue is the size. Dad isnt very comfortable with BIG screen phones. I use a LG 4x HD & Motorola Moto G and he finds them both BIG and heavy, respectively

I guess we will stick to battery replacement or get a Lumia 720 if he is sure about it.

Just came across another advantage of 720 over 710, front camera for skype calls.

Has anybody been using it? Skype is a daily thing for dad, with a front cam it would make things simpler for him. He doesnt like to use a tab. So If his phone can handle skype calls on wifi he is good to go.

Thanks.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 3rd February 2014 at 12:37.
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:56   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody been using it? Skype is a daily thing for dad, with a front cam it would make things simpler for him. He doesnt like to use a tab. So If his phone can handle skype calls on wifi he is good to go.
My wife uses Skype a lot for video chat with her parents and it works flawlessly on her phone which is a HTC 8X. I use it occasionally on my L920 also and it works great.

So I bet it will work fine on the 720 too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks