Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2013, 08:39   #9826
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
This is not really true.
Thanks for the info, you are right to the dot and I stand corrected ! I was 100% wrong on what I knew about batteries!
Honestly I didn't completely believe what you said at first, but a bit of googling convinced me.
An intresting article -- batteryuniversity

some basic info from the link :
  • Frequent charging is better than full charge
  • A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
  • Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.
  • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
  • Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.
  • Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
  • Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.
  • Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

Never came across such info when I googled for such info, but today this was the first link in search results, how on earth did i miss these.
Old 26th May 2013, 18:25   #9827
BHPian

Have been using the Lenovo P770 (dual sim) for nearly a couple months now. Quite happy with the experience and will definitely recommend this phone.

Was thinking of buying the Samsung Galaxy S Duos but some people complained about it hanging. Did not want to spend 30K plus on the S3 or Galaxy Note 2.

One person who was using this phone for a couple weeks recommended it and I bought it finding the price reasonable (14.5 K).

This phone has a 3,500 mAh battery which I believe is the highest.

I mainly use it for email, FB, whatsapp and some browsing. My son plays Temple run 2 and other games. Runs apps smoothly, very good battery life and has never hanged till now - touchwood !.

The screen is big (4.5"), has a good processor and memory, runs the latest JB 4.1.1.

The screen may not be jazzy like the S3, camera is ok and GPS seems a bit slow.

Here are more details http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_p770-5140.php
Old 26th May 2013, 19:31   #9828
BHPian

I intend to purchase a LG Nexus 4, and wondering what's the best price out there for the phone? Only interested in a 16gb one with LG India warranty.

Anyone who has purchased it from any shop in Bangalore?I checked a couple of them, and they all said they'd get the stock only by the first week of June :-(
Old 26th May 2013, 22:31   #9829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
I intend to purchase a LG Nexus 4, and wondering what's the best price out there for the phone? Only interested in a 16gb one with LG India warranty.

Anyone who has purchased it from any shop in Bangalore?I checked a couple of them, and they all said they'd get the stock only by the first week of June :-(
Shopclues has it with Indian warranty for 24,990
Old 27th May 2013, 13:19   #9830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Shopclues has it with Indian warranty for 24,990
Is shopclues a site you can trust? Anyone purchased from them? So far . i have only made online purchases from ebay. flipkart and homeshop18...so just doing a groundwork beforehand.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:39   #9831
BHPian

Quote:

Is shopclues a site you can trust? Anyone purchased from them? So far . i have only made online purchases from ebay. flipkart and homeshop18...so just doing a groundwork beforehand.
I've bought at least a couple of times from shopclues. Once a biking accessory and another time a cordless phone. It's pretty decent.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:41   #9832
BHPian

Purchased a canvas HD A116 for 14K.
Really happy with the performance and screen. Battery life is decent.
But a small issues for those who use navigation a lot : The phone does not have gyroscope sensor, magnetic sensor and compass sensor. Getting a gps lock is a bit difficult without using apps like GPS Fix or GPS Status. Otherwise this phone is amazing, really vfm and the gaming performance is awesome !
Old 29th May 2013, 13:20   #9833
Senior - BHPian

Custom Stainless Steel Panel

My new Karbonn A15 with a custom stainless steel body panel. Looks crazy and yet inexpensive.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-sam_0924.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-sam_0928.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-sam_0929.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-sam_0930.jpg  

Old 29th May 2013, 14:43   #9834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I might install some simple games (less size) to pass the time when need be. Not high end ones that might require more space, more RAM et al.

My requirements would be (not in that order)--
1) 4.5-5" Screen (would be better if qHD or higher). How good is FWVGA?
2) 1GB RAM (Do I really need this much or 512 MB will do?)
3) .... Processor (I am unable to decide which processor should I opt for, Dual Core or Quad Core)
4) Loudspeaker
4) 3.5 mm Audio Jack (will do if this is absent)
5) Bluetooth
6) Primary Camera >=5MP (Front Camera of >=2MP would be added bonus) with LED Flash.
7) Video Recording
8) Wi-Fi
9) FM
10) GSM (BSNL)
11) Not inclined towards any OS (Android, WP)
12) 4GB Internal Memory

My Budget is estimated. It Might increase when I actually want to purchase the phone.
Is it risky to go for Brands other than Nokia, Samsung, HTC?
Because my thinking is that these Big Brands charge a premium over other brands like Xolo, Intex, iBall, etc. (I might be wrong here).

I want to try the less known brands for the obvious reasons (they offer VFM).

But I don't want to end up buying a phone like my Samsung B7300 WP 6.5 that used to frequently hang and ASC could not do other than taking my phone, keeping for 2-3 days and returning specifying that "The Phone has been repaired".
Are the lesser known brands worth it?

EDIT:-
How to search and download India-specific Apps in case of WP?
You are correct.
I see lot many people around me with Micromax a116 which supposedly beats most of the high brand phones. No issues till now ... but the problem is about after sales service. Most of the Indian brands are well ... Indian, and thus poor in service department.

So it is like a lottery.

In Windows phone domain you have the Lumia 620 around same price.
Spec wise Micromax A116 will leave even Lumia far behind.
Old 29th May 2013, 16:47   #9835
BHPian

Just got an email that Nexus 4 is back on snapdeal. Ordered.

Price 24205/- after applying the coupon of "ELX6". Cant wait

Quote:

Old 30th May 2013, 18:59   #9836
BHPian

Quote:
Just got an email that Nexus 4 is back on snapdeal. Ordered.

Price 24205/- after applying the coupon of "ELX6". Cant wait
Congrats! I've been using my N4 for some time now. i was pretty clear that it's THE Android phone I want. Excellent phone. Just love it!
Old 1st June 2013, 13:06   #9837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Purchased a canvas HD A116 for 14K.
Really happy with the performance and screen. Battery life is decent.
But a small issues for those who use navigation a lot : The phone does not have gyroscope sensor, magnetic sensor and compass sensor. Getting a gps lock is a bit difficult without using apps like GPS Fix or GPS Status. Otherwise this phone is amazing, really vfm and the gaming performance is awesome !
Congrats on your purchase. Do these GPS apps work well so that the need for the sensors are minimised or do they do an average job?
Old 1st June 2013, 13:48   #9838
BHPian

How does this look for a power user with more than 8 hrs talk time requirement ?

Lenovo P 770 @ 16.5k
  • 4.5" IPS Display
  • Capacitive 5 point Multi Touch
  • 540x960 resolution
  • 1.2 GHz Dual Core Processor
  • 1GB Ram
  • 3500 mAH Battery
  • Jelly Bean
  • Dual Sim Slot
http://www.thedostore.com/p-series-p770-black.html

Last edited by vikash49 : 1st June 2013 at 13:49.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:09   #9839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post

Congrats on your purchase. Do these GPS apps work well so that the need for the sensors are minimised or do they do an average job?
Once locked, it works well. And with usage, the lock time decreases. But still it bothers to have spent 14.5k and rely on secondary apps for lock. I have used samsung for more than an year and trust me, apart from note 2 and some flagship models, touchwiz lags a lot. I tried friend's grand, sduos and even s adavnce lags a bit. So it's delight to finally use a phone with totally lagfree performance. Ultimately it boils down to one's preference. I would have bought a pureview or lumia if it wasnt for dual sim requirement.
Old 1st June 2013, 16:46   #9840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Congrats! I've been using my N4 for some time now. i was pretty clear that it's THE Android phone I want. Excellent phone. Just love it!
Any Idea where i can buy a good cover for N4 , which one are you using .LG shopee has no stock .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks