Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2017, 03:00   #2881
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
[left]Thank you @mashmash.
I am afraid Bluetooth is the only available input. There is a USB 'C' type port, but as per manual, that is strictly for software update.
Yeh this is only a bluetooth portable speaker. You will have to hunt for something else to connect to your TV.

MaSh
Old 7th January 2017, 11:33   #2882
BHPian

The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
But, the problem area is the TV.
I have a old LCD which doesn't have a Bluetooth option. Now is the question, how to pair the both?
First thought, hit Amazon and search for some bluetooth transmitters, results are not very inspiring.
For lack of a brand name in this space I purchased a Sony Bluetooth adapter. It has ability for both transmit and receive. I am now looking for one or two more of these for other rooms at home.
This Sony is the one I have and should work for you too. There is now a TP-Link one as well

My Yamaha receiver is not Bluetooth enabled though it is network enabled. This means I am unable to play gaana app on my phone and listen on the HT wirelessly. For this I am using my cars Jabra Bluetooth speaker that has an inbuilt fm transmitter.
The Home Theater thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483769018.905637.jpg

Last edited by diyguy : 7th January 2017 at 11:49.
Old 7th January 2017, 16:27   #2883
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled upon an old vaio laptop lying idle with my father. 11" screen, i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, USB3.0 and HDMI.

Few light bulbs started blinking in my head and i ended up bringing it home and installed Kodi and connected it to my TV. Still figuring out the bells and whistles of Kodi and the fine points of customizing the playback for optimum viewing experience.

Did a sample run today afternoon and it was pretty good. was nice to see a full fledged pictorial menu with cover art, movie info, file details et all instead of a vanilla menu.

Ordered for a logitech k400 keyboard.

Hopefully it's an experience which would be more good than bad
Old 7th January 2017, 21:18   #2884

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Stumbled upon an old vaio laptop lying idle with my father. 11" screen, i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, USB3.0 and HDMI.

Few light bulbs started blinking in my head and i ended up bringing it home and installed Kodi and connected it to my TV. Still figuring out the bells and whistles of Kodi and the fine points of customizing the playback for optimum viewing experience.

Did a sample run today afternoon and it was pretty good. was nice to see a full fledged pictorial menu with cover art, movie info, file details et all instead of a vanilla menu.

Ordered for a logitech k400 keyboard.

Hopefully it's an experience which would be more good than bad
Do also consider Plex. You can set up the Plex Server on the laptop, and connect a Chromecast to the TV. The Plex for Android app can then play the role of your remote control. No unsightly cables hanging around.

BTW, Plex will automatically fetch the movie metadata. I've been impressed so far.

And, it's all free ☺
Old 9th January 2017, 14:13   #2885
Senior - BHPian

A question to all Home theater gurus, how do you guys hide the surround speaker wires? Is having a False cieling the only option other than running it inside the wall?
Old 9th January 2017, 14:49   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeshmakhija View Post
Do also consider Plex. You can set up the Plex Server on the laptop, and connect a Chromecast to the TV. The Plex for Android app can then play the role of your remote control. No unsightly cables hanging around.

BTW, Plex will automatically fetch the movie metadata. I've been impressed so far.

And, it's all free ☺
Thanks for the tip. Finally loaded up my movie/tv show collection onto kodi. the missing movie addon really helped me find out the missing ones would have gone mad trying to figure out the ones Kodi missed otherwise.

All in all a sunday afternoon well spent. Waiting for the k400 wireless keyboard which has an inbuilt trackpad to come to really make use of kodi. Right now using a wireless mouse to get by

Plex is on the list next and then to figure out setting up a different profile for my 6yr old daughter.
Old 9th January 2017, 16:11   #2887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
In my opinion a good 2.1 system should give you the best quality. Most of the systems nowadays come with wireless Sub option. The satellites would be connected to a control unit
Thanks Mashmash,

The Onkyos look good but seem very expensive in India (almost 60k on Amazon India) Is there a way I can get the receiver model number- I can then join it to speakers that I get here.

I'm also toying with the following ideas:
1. Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelf speakers are available on hifimart for 16k. I can get that right now and hook it up to either Chromecast audio or the Logitech bluetooth receiver and play off of my cellphone/ ipad. I can later add a blu ray disc player/ receiver (within 10k) and grow the system. Suggest if you have anything in mind.
2. The Harman Kardon soundsticks: Available for 12k on Amazon India. I like the quirky design and have heard the demo as well.

Tapish
Old 9th January 2017, 17:20   #2888
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
A question to all Home theater gurus, how do you guys hide the surround speaker wires? Is having a False cieling the only option other than running it inside the wall?
A third option would be to camouflage it with some wall art maybe ?
Or if you're ok, use plain old flat electric casing (white colored), these can even be drawn along the wall edges on the floor and then taken upwards along wall corners to reach the speakers.
Old 9th January 2017, 20:59   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Thanks Mashmash,

The Onkyos look good but seem very expensive in India (almost 60k on Amazon India) Is there a way I can get the receiver model number- I can then join it to speakers that I get here.

Tapish
Tapish, for the amplifier requirements for firing your bookshelf speakers, you can look at Norge Audio 2060 (available at Rs. 11,000). I am driving a pair of Polk Audio tower speakers with this stereo amp and am quite happy with the output.

Pls ignore if not relevant to your requirement.
Old 10th January 2017, 05:38   #2890
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mashmash,

1. Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelf speakers are available on hifimart for 16k. I can get that right now and hook it up to either Chromecast audio or the Logitech bluetooth receiver and play off of my cellphone/ ipad. I can later add a blu ray disc player/ receiver (within 10k) and grow the system. Suggest if you have anything in mind.
2. The Harman Kardon soundsticks: Available for 12k on Amazon India. I like the quirky design and have heard the demo as well.

Tapish
It is a single unit, no separate model number for the small amplifier box.

The BA A26 will need an amp. Better than them in my opinion are the Polk RTI A1 speakers. With a Marantz or any other stereo amp, they should sound good.

You could also look at other alternatives such as Panasonic HT-20. Its a fantastic system for the price.

MaSh
Old 14th January 2017, 19:33   #2891
BHPian

am looking for speaker stands for my audioengine A5.which one should i go for? atleast 5 feet height needed.
Old 14th January 2017, 19:37   #2892
BHPian

https://www.snapdeal.com/product/mx-...s/625832869203
how are these?
Old 16th January 2017, 21:41   #2893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Onkyo India pricing is over the top and the only product I trust them for are their stand alone AV receivers. AV receivers too have suffered from failing HDMI boards. I don't know if they have sorted out their quality control issues. Their speakers are rubbish unless its something like their D-77NE which is a remake of their once famous Scepter model.

For similar money of the Boston's, get Polk Audio, as another FM has also suggested. The Rti A3 stand mount is another excellent choice.

Any passive speaker you buy requires amplification. It will not work direct with chromecast, etc. Set aside no less than Rs. 20,000 for a quality stereo amplifier from Marantz and Yamaha.

I'd say trash the idea of the bluray player. Are you going to buy blu rays every month? I have a blu ray player and use it only once in three months and it has been over a year since I bought a new bluray disc. For media streaming and digital video playback, I'd add some more money over the cost of a bluray player and build a basic home theater computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
which one should i go for?
These should work well and cost you around 7k. Don't compromise on the quality of the stand. Do remember that you can continue with these stands even if you upgrade to a higher quality stand mount speaker.

http://soundfoundations.in/products/aura/

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 16th January 2017 at 21:47.
Old 17th January 2017, 09:10   #2894
BHPian

Has anyone tried SONOS playbar and/or SUB? I was thoroughly impressed with their performance in an overseas exhibit.
I'm seriously contemplating them for my new flat, but couldn't find any outlets within India. Unfortunately, Amazon India charges twice for the price in US!
Old 17th January 2017, 09:13   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
I'm also toying with the following ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
AV receivers too have suffered from failing HDMI boards.

I'd say trash the idea of the bluray player. Are you going to buy blu rays every month? I have a blu ray player and use it only once in three months and it has been over a year since I bought a new bluray disc. For media streaming and digital video playback, I'd add some more money over the cost of a bluray player and build a basic home theater computer.
My Yamaha receiver's hdmi board has gone kaput for the output and I no longer use it for that. It is now being used only for sound unlike earlier when all hdmi input was being upscaled.

I would recommend a NAS to store digital media content. It can also run apps such as a media server. You can usually play the media direct from most tvs or media player devices.

I have never watched a single blue ray disk though I have the Ps3 for almost 5 years now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks