Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 09:42   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I just tried Settings Profile app. Though the Lite version allows only one rule to be set, I find it more than enough to use it for work and home. Anyways, will try Sweet Dreams as well. Thanks for the mention.
@joel:
While searching the market, I came across this app called 'timeriffic'. It has nearly 5 starts and does exactly what you want. I have downloaded it but haven't used it yet. You can give it a shot.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:48   #377
BHPian

Hello fellow Androidians, my SGS has started to lag a lot of late. This phenomenon developed suddenly a couple of weeks back,it takes a long time to access calls menu, market and other applications along with downloads from the market. It even shows in the games like Asphalt. I don't know what settings I changed or is it any application which made this happen? I have now disabled Animations but it doesn't feel like a 1Ghz phone anymore and I am desperately waiting for the 2.2 update. Please help other than suggesting to root the phone.

P.S: I think the title of this thread can now be changed to something like "Discussion on Android Phones" from the existing one looking at how many people have already bought one.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:52   #378
BHPian

I bought Galaxy 3 last night at Sangeetha mobiles for Rs12,300 with one year insurance. At the first look, it was stunning when powered on! I was using Windows mobile 6.5 for quite some time, in my point of view andriod is much much better than WinMo anytime. Eclair 2.1 is fast and elegant. I am yet to play with it and tweak for better performance/reception.

Few glitches i have are

1) Setting up BSNL 3G configuration
2) No network location display by default in the home screen, how to enable it?
3) Andriod shortcuts.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:51   #379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Anyways, will try Sweet Dreams as well.
Keep in mind its designed just to turn your phone on the silent and vice versa, and not really switch between multiple (more than 2) profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Hello fellow Androidians, my SGS has started to lag a lot of late.
This could be caused by a service thats running in the background. I suggest you apply a lagfix. I came here to recommend one :

VOODOO Kernel / Lagfix

- I've used RyanZA's One Click Lag Fix v1 (OCLF) for the last month+. It was good, but there were still sore areas (eg. accessing phone logs, opening messaging etc).

- Voodoo fixes a lot of that! (It changes the file system rather than create a "fake" partition). Though theres still that issue where the phone rings a few times before it shows whos calling / gives you the ability to take the call.

- Rooting not required. Just download a .zip file to your phone, boot in recovery mode (vol up + home + power) and apply the file.

- I'd suggest you download the one without "Voodoo colour"!! (Unless you feel like your phone colour temperature is really blue.

- You might experience worse battery life! I haven't used it enough to comment.

- 2.2 is a week away, but i installed this anyway

Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements | Open Source project homepage

Quote:
P.S: I think the title of this thread can now be changed
Done.

@Hellwrath -- i got access to app inventor about a month back. Havent tried it yet. Everyone says its veryyy basic and limiting. I'd suggest you do it the real way.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2010 at 15:08.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:53   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow Androidians, my SGS has started to lag a lot of late. This phenomenon developed suddenly a couple of weeks back,it takes a long time to access calls menu, market and other applications along with downloads from the market. It even shows in the games like Asphalt. I don't know what settings I changed or is it any application which made this happen? I have now disabled Animations but it doesn't feel like a 1Ghz phone anymore and I am desperately waiting for the 2.2 update. Please help other than suggesting to root the phone.
The lag issue on sgs is pretty famous. Check in xda. There are few solutions around there. Basically, it is because of the samsung's rfs file system. There is a port available with ext4 files system. But they are all mods. I am not sure if you are ready to do this. At worst, while attempting these fixes, you could brick ur phone. I am running this ext4 file system based rom. The phone is super responsive. But then, need to use for 4,5 days before commenting on it. This rom even comes with the mod which OCs the cpu to 1.2hz.

If you don't want to do all these mods, then wait till 2.2. September was the target. 23rd to be precise, in europe. But not sure when the it will show up on kies for india.

EDIT: Just saw rehaan's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
VOODOO Kernel / Lagfix
Hey, that on top of tayatuma's modded rom is what I installed yestreday. The lag has gone down a lot. cpu max freq is set at 1.2! I will wait for week to see if this get rids of the issue.

Last edited by gkrishn : 20th September 2010 at 13:56.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:14   #381
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions Rehaan and gkrishn. All this while I used to wonder what all the fuss SGS lagging was all about until I started facing it myself, all of a sudden. Need to wait for all the basic things like access to contacts, taking calls when it starts ringing, etc. Totally irritating feeling it is, let me tell you.

I have a Samsung Wave too, there was a software update announced which happened without me having to backup anything or downloading any of the apps again. I hope SGS too would be similar using the same kies to download 2.2 when launched. I better wait till its announced officially since I can't risk bricking this phone and to be honest, don't have required technical know-how to troubleshoot if anything wrong happens. Hope the issue gets resolved after 2.2, otherwise will have to go the tweaking mode via forums like xda, project voodoo etc., which I personally feel is a pain.

@Rehaan, what an eye-opener project-voodoo site is all about, thanks a lot for the link. From a tech enthusiast point its a very nice read and everything is fairly well explained. Should I take the trouble to run it now or wait for update to 2.2 which is due in a week's time, keeping my technical limitations in mind?

@gkrishn, isn't it risky to OC the processor further? IIRC, Motorola Milestone runs the same processor but its underclocked substantially to increase the battery life. So, how has been your battery life after OC? Very nice to hear your phone doesn't lag though.

Last edited by v.anand : 20th September 2010 at 14:28.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:15   #382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Rehaan, what an eye-opener project-voodoo site is all about, thanks a lot for the link. From a tech enthusiast point its a very nice read and everything is fairly well explained.
Read post #2 here, you might like it as well (particularly the explanation of the RFS filesystem) :
[UTIL] One Click Lag Fix 2.0 - xda-developers

Quote:
Should I take the trouble to run it now or wait for update to 2.2 which is due in a week's time, keeping my technical limitations in mind?
Depends on your need for speed!

Its really quite simple to do. The only part thats not explained clearly is that to get to "recovery mode" or whatever they call it, with the phone off, press vol.up + home + power. When the phone comes on, leave the power button.

The only tricky part is undoing it, since once its on there it might make it more difficult to connect to kies. I dont know.

The REAL question is -- will Samsung's official 2.2 update fix the damn filesystem problems??

cya
R
Old 20th September 2010, 18:36   #383
Senior - BHPian

^Oh I wish they do fix some of these issues. Even I'm facing some serious issues with my phone application itself. This happened for 3rd time last friday when trying to make a call. The phone just froze with a blank screen when I right swiped my contact to make the call. Removed the battery I(darn, I hate doing it all the time) and everything started working fine again. Don't know what is wrong with the phone. I'm really waiting for a firmware upgrade which will solve these issues.

BTW, Rehaan, I just checked about the GPS signals yesterday and I could see some signals which are showing more than 40. But it was mostly swinging around 42-45. Yesterday had a clear sky although there were high rise buildings next to where I tested it.
Old 20th September 2010, 18:59   #384
BHPian

Quote:
@gkrishn, isn't it risky to OC the processor further? IIRC, Motorola Milestone runs the same processor but its underclocked substantially to increase the battery life. So, how has been your battery life after OC? Very nice to hear your phone doesn't lag though.
yes, I didnt do it intentionally. It came in with one of the updates i did.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:22   #385
BHPian

If your phone is laggy and takes ages to open the contacts, logs and phone apps, try clearing the entire call log list and delete the cache memory from all the apps installed, especially the market app. Worked for me.
Old 21st September 2010, 11:49   #386
BHPian

So, i got this annoying problem. I am not able to find an answer for this.

I am syncing the phone with calender and mail with the MS outlook. Directly with the server. This sync happens when i am in office, over office wifi. The sync is set always on, and the operation itself is pretty fast. I get mails on the phone earlier than my laptop.

But the issues is, with the calender items. All meetings are earlier by 30 mins. The data/time are correct on the phone. But still all the appointment synced from outlook server are 30 mins off. Not sure what is going on. Any one faced this issue?

Quote:
If your phone is laggy and takes ages to open the contacts, logs and phone apps, try clearing the entire call log list and delete the cache memory from all the apps installed, especially the market app. Worked for me.
I would disagree with that solution. I didn't have to clear any thing in my rickety old nokia.

Last edited by gkrishn : 21st September 2010 at 11:52.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:49   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I bought Galaxy 3 last night at Sangeetha mobiles for Rs12,300 with one year insurance. At the first look, it was stunning when powered on! I was using Windows mobile 6.5 for quite some time, in my point of view andriod is much much better than WinMo anytime. Eclair 2.1 is fast and elegant. I am yet to play with it and tweak for better performance/reception.

Few glitches i have are

1) Setting up BSNL 3G configuration
2) No network location display by default in the home screen, how to enable it?
3) Andriod shortcuts.
Congrats! Would be great if you could post a review and comment on the screen and camera quality.

Btw, you seem to have paid more. Univercell price is lower. Might be even lower if had from "offline" shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
I bought Galaxy5 last week and its a great phone in this price range. I bought it from Chandigarh for Rs 9000. The best thing about the phone is its capacitive screen which so very responsive and also the overall performance of the phone. Despite of just 600 mhz processor, the response and performance of the phone is excellent.
Dude, would be really awesome if you could post a couple of sample pics. Since its new, there are hardly any reviews and no sample pics I could find on the net yet. :(
Old 21st September 2010, 21:51   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Dude, would be really awesome if you could post a couple of sample pics. Since its new, there are hardly any reviews and no sample pics I could find on the net yet. :(
Gsmarena has done a detailed review of the Galaxy 5, not sure if you have seen it.

Link- Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5 review: Corby with brains - GSMArena.com
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:35   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post

But the issues is, with the calender items. All meetings are earlier by 30 mins. The data/time are correct on the phone. But still all the appointment synced from outlook server are 30 mins off. Not sure what is going on. Any one faced this issue?
find out if there is a timezone specified in your phone. and on server. and whether they match. to me it sounds like your phone is set on pakistan time
Old 22nd September 2010, 02:35   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Gsmarena has done a detailed review of the Galaxy 5, not sure if you have seen it.

Link- Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5 review: Corby with brains - GSMArena.com
Ohhh... thanks a heap! Don't know how I missed it! Gonna go thru it in detail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks