Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 11:44   #2521
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
How do I send the files to android ph ? I tried sending a .vcf file to defy ph. It just stay at a location called "Blue tooth ..." directory. but it is not visible in the contact.
I sent it through bluetooth and the galaxy ace recognised the .vcf files. It automatically showed in contacts.

Try this - Go to contacts -- Options -- Import/Export -- Import from SD Card.

I heard the Indian Defy's got a 2.2 update ? Did you get this ?
Old 31st March 2011, 11:45   #2522
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Purchased an LG Optimus One two days ago for 10K including Insurance. Thanks to one of my contacts at LG, I got this at Dealers Price. I saved about Rs. 1600/- due to this. Living the droid dream now. However, had to charge the phone twice yesterday, might be due to experimenting a lot. Loved the NDrive Application

OT: Mary, my navigation assistant in NDrive drove me to work and back home yesterday. Mary was crazy at a couple of instances, when I took my own route rather than her route and she was continously nagging me to take a U Turn and continue on her route. Atlast, she realized that I would not heed to her words and she changed her planned route. I was like LOL
Yesterday checked prices for same handset. Mobile store at kothrud was offering for 10K including card payments. It seems prices have gone down.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:12   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Has anyone used Sygic on an Android?
I see Sygic is a trial version for Andriod. Don't see a purchase option and moreover, I read in the comments about Sygic to be the worst navigation software ever. Have to try it out once, but it looks heavy on resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
AFAIK, it works without data (hence better than NDrive)
NDrive doesnot use GPRS Data plan to navigate, it uses the in-built GPS Transmitter for Navigation.

One thing i've noticed today, I was passing through a couple of Defence Establishments (DRDO, DERL & etc) in Hyderabad and all of a sudden, the screen goes blank and the status reads No GPS/Out of Road. Once I crossed those establishments, the maps again started working. Good to know that, they do respect the important starategic defence locations too.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:20   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I see Sygic is a trial version for Andriod. Don't see a purchase option and moreover, I read in the comments about Sygic to be the worst navigation software ever. Have to try it out once, but it looks heavy on resources.
I have used Sygic on my Win CE GPS device with MMI maps and absolutely loved it. It is one of the best navigation software I have used( I have used Garmin XT, Igo, Destinator, NDrive etc). It is not really heavy on resources as it works much faster compared to Destinator with Satguide on my system.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:23   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Could you please post detailed steps?
I am lost in this
  • login to u r gmail account from system.
  • Select contacts (left menu)
  • Select Import contacts, give your file.
  • Now you have all your contact in your gmail account.
  • In phone, add this gmail account under "Account & Sync settings"
  • Touch your account (under mange account), will display what to sync.
  • Select Sync contacts!
You are done! This also brings all other unwanted email id to your contacts. May be it will also show multiple contact for same person. So once after importing your contact, check if all your contacts are unique in Gmail contacts. May be you have to merge some contacts. Once you are happy with contact list in Gmail, then go ans sync it with phone. Well this is one time effort, but it will be time consuming!
Alternatively I just created an new gmail account and imported all my contact there. This way I don't have to juggle between contacts (email id) that I don't want to see in phone, and actual phone contacts.

Quote:
I dont want existing contact from Google cos those also content some junk email address. So I just wanna some have some labeled one. How can I label a contact in GMAIL ?
In Gmail, you can open contacts (left side), and select "New Group". This will let you to create group. Assign contacts which you would like to label to this group.

Now sync you contact in phone. Once done, you will see all contacts including junks!

Now go to contacts , select display options (menu -> display options).

First select Only display contacts that have phone box. This should avoid most junk, email only contacts.

Next goto Choose your google account, this will display all groups! un-check all the groups except one which you have created in first step above. Now your Contact only shows what you need.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:55   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
This is not what I have been looking for. K, to make it simple what I want is exactly of what this is doing. I want my Mobile Phone to access the Internet Connection of my Laptop. I have a Broadband @work & an unlimited plan on my data card. This is also referred to as Reverse tethering.
I tried to make my Laptop into a hotspot, but besides my Android the damn thing is usable by other computers as well as my colleagues Nokia E72.
Hope my requirement is clear now...
What I understand is that you have a cable broadband connection going into your laptop's ethernet port and you have made your laptop work as a wifi hotspot. Am I right? If yes then:

1. What OS are you running on your laptop?
2. Are you using some software to turn your lappy into a wifi hotspot or created a Windows wireless adhoc connection?
3. What android flavor you have on your mobile?
Old 31st March 2011, 13:57   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont want existing contact from Google cos those also content some junk email address. So I just wanna some have some labeled one. How can I label a contact in GMAIL ?
you can also choose to display only contacts with phone numbers in your phonebook.
go to phonebbok->dislay options-> select ,only contacts with phones.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:12   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
What I understand is that you have a cable broadband connection going into your laptop's ethernet port and you have made your laptop work as a wifi hotspot. Am I right? If yes then:

1. What OS are you running on your laptop?
2. Are you using some software to turn your lappy into a wifi hotspot or created a Windows wireless adhoc connection?
3. What android flavor you have on your mobile?
I too exactly looking for the same configuration to work on
However I dont know how and what to do ? I am having WIN VISTA with BSNL Broad Band.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:29   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
This is not what I have been looking for. K, to make it simple what I want is exactly of what this is doing. I want my Mobile Phone to access the Internet Connection of my Laptop. I have a Broadband @work & an unlimited plan on my data card. This is also referred to as Reverse tethering.
I tried to make my Laptop into a hotspot, but besides my Android the damn thing is usable by other computers as well as my colleagues Nokia E72.
Hope my requirement is clear now...
Try ASProxy v1.4 android apps it might work for you.
Though I have not used it
Cheers
Old 31st March 2011, 17:47   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi
Has anyone used Sygic on an Android? AFAIK, it works without data (hence better than NDrive) and maps are quite up to date. I like Sygic's routing on Symbian and I'm guessing the interface and usability would be far better on an Android
Hi Nishant ,

Yes i have purchased MMI ( which uses Sygic ) for my Galaxy 3 for Rs 790 ( NCR maps only).

It works well ( audio / offline maps) but does not have many POI 's.

Regards,

Gaurav
Old 31st March 2011, 19:24   #2531
BHPian

Re: Android applications

Formula1 - 2011 app released:

https://market.android.com/details?i...venapplication
Old 1st April 2011, 00:57   #2532
Senior - BHPian

people, any android app which gives live stock market quotes? i am looking for NSE/BSE quotes for selected scrips.

Last edited by recshenoy : 1st April 2011 at 00:59.
Old 1st April 2011, 09:11   #2533
Senior - BHPian

BSE/NSE stock market
Moneycontrol
Bloomberg
Old 1st April 2011, 10:36   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Although I own a Samsung Galaxy, I simply love some of the features offered by HTC Sense. One of my friend owns a HTC Desire HD and whenever he connects it via. USB, he is able to use the computer's net connection via the mobile. He also told me that a similar application is available on the market but I have not been able to dig out the same. If any of U guys know about it, please share.

HI Maverick ,

I also wanted something similar a few days ago and finally got the answer . BUt , you wont be able to use internet while the phone is connected via a USB cable , atleast thats what I have understood after trying it for so many days . But if you install this software n a laptop and you laptop has wifi and the latop is connected to the internet , then this software converts ur laptop into a wifi router of sorts and then you can connect your phone using its wifi .

Heres the link :
Connectify for Windows - Turn your Laptop or Smartphone into a Secure Wi-Fi Hotspot

Ofcourse you can connect the computer to the phone using USB and surf the internet on the computer using the phones internet connection . Its called Tethering .
Old 1st April 2011, 11:21   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Sony Ericsson XPERIA Arc is now available for 28k, is it worth to buy or wait for few more days to buy a better dual core phone?

Any noted missing features in Sony Ericsson XPERIA Arc ?
I saw this listing on flipkart. But is it true? Also, I have not seen too many reviews of the Arc yet. I mean post release reviews.

Update on my wife's requirement, she finally chose the Samsung Galaxy S which we purchased from Singapore and is pretty happy with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks