Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 13:21   #2911
Team-BHP Support

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
But by disabling background data sync, how would the phone push/pull emails?
I am near a PC most of the time, I don't need the to phone to tell me the same thing. I enable background data only if I am travelling and need notification. Frankly I don't need to check email/FB message as they come.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:39   #2912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Quadrant score of 1871 (stock galaxy SL is 826) - tee hee. I am so buying the Defy now
Did a full benchmark on my stock Defy last night and got a quadrant score of 1054 . My friends SE Experia X10 could manage just under 500. Loving my Defy so far .
Old 29th April 2011, 13:40   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Avoid Motorola Defy! Friends who bought it sold it off after it was showing issues. It was mostly ear piece issue. One even had problem with reception and had to go for mobo change.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:42   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Oh this is great news.

I am also looking for root process for my optimus one on 2.2. Tried all existing method like superoneclick etc but no avail. Searched XDA also.

Really dont like the idea of not having full access to hardware i own

Any pointers?
You can root p500 only if you are on 2.2. Anything above that ( 2.2.1, 2.2.2), you will have to live with it unless you can flash it back to 2.2 and then root it. There are no one click tools for this approach though. My friend has rooted his p500 ( 2.2) using z4root ( XDA forum) and it was pretty straight forward. Wish someone can come up with a tool for the later versions too.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:43   #2915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Avoid Motorola Defy! Friends who bought it sold it off after it was showing issues. It was mostly ear piece issue. One even had problem with reception and had to go for mobo change.
I thought this issue was fixed after Jan 2011. When did your friend buy his?

My stock Defy gave a Quadrant score of 996. I guess things will improve after the froyo update.

Edit: I retried the complete test with background data disabled, I got 1058 score.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th April 2011 at 15:11.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:34   #2916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I thought this issue was fixed after Jan 2011. When did your friend buy his?

My stock Defy gave a Quadrant score of 996. I guess things will improve after the froyo update.

Edit: I retried the complete test with background data disabled, I got 1058 score.
After Jan 2011 for sure. The day Defy was launched here IIRC. Three of them got it.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:55   #2917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
... Quadrant score of 1871 (stock galaxy SL is 826) - .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Did a full benchmark on my stock Defy last night and got a quadrant score of 1054 . My friends SE Experia X10 could manage just under 500. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
....My stock Defy gave a Quadrant score of 996. I guess things will improve after the froyo update.

What is this "Quadrant score " and how do you test it? What does this signify?
Old 29th April 2011, 16:25   #2918
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
After Jan 2011 for sure. The day Defy was launched here IIRC. Three of them got it.
Check this link. Mine does have BFX5 written on the battery, right under the battery cover. Not sure that is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
What is this "Quadrant score " and how do you test it? What does this signify?
Quardrant Standard is a free benchmarking software for Android. I re-ran the test right after rebooting. Got a score of 1088!

Last edited by Samurai : 29th April 2011 at 16:30.
Old 29th April 2011, 18:41   #2919
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
There are quite a few one click rooting apps like SuperOneClick, Easy Root, Universal Androot and Z4Root. The advantage of Z4root is that you won’t be needing a desktop application to root your device.
Tried each one of them. But no use. Even downgrading to lower version, but it is not working recent handset of Optimus one.
Old 30th April 2011, 01:13   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Not really buddy! Count me in. Am in the verge of buying it. My mind says SGSL but my heart says SGS. Really can't get over this dilemma. Well... based on your usage can you really tell me if the following points make a difference.

Points in favor of Galaxy S - SGS
  • Super AMOLED screen - World's best display in mobiles do far
  • TV Out - functionality
  • Larger internal storage - 16Gigs ( SL has got only 4GB)
  • Better processor and GPU
  • Gingerbread update on the cards
  • Easy availability of accessories and stuff alike. Take note that the dimensions of S and SL are not the same. You may find it hard to source accessories for it

Points in favor of Galaxy SL - SGSL
  • Bigger battery
  • Cheaper than its predecessor by atleast 4 ~ 5k
  • Some reviews suggest that Super LCD display is far better than the super AMOLED one.

Galaxy S retails around INR 23,900 and Galaxy SL at about INR 18,900. Remember reading somewhere that Galaxy S prices are likely to come down drastically once the S II launched.

Would be great if some one can help me get over this dilemma. Thanks!
I got my SL for 12900 (trading in my E72 netted me 8k ). Its still high 19s to 20s in most shops in Bangalore at least. Well i know that a gel/rubbery cover that fits for the Galaxy S, works just fine on the Galaxy SL. I think there are very slight differences, not noticable to the naked eye. The SL is still 1 Ghz, but its a Ti OMAP, with the GPU being slightly less powerful. I honestly dont think it makes a difference in day to day usage. The only thing is the legilibility of the screen outside in the sunlight. This is probably where AMOLED has the clear advantage in day to day usability. Beyond that, its standard Samsung TouchWiz 3.0. I really love the phonebook on this thing; the way the integration of contacts with FB is seamless, one touch calling or texting, and the smart dialing is wonderful. The SL and the S are the same usability wise as far as i know. When Gingerbread comes to the S, i would figure the SL would recieve it as well. As for battery life, ive been able to get 2 days on my SL with wireless and net turned off and brightness on the lowest setting.

I love the Defy as well, but then i figured with the price it was selling in Bangalore at, i might as well spring for the SL, which has a bigger screen, front facing camera, Froy preloaded, triband HSDPA, etc. I know the Defy right now is beating the S and SL in Quadrant, but benchmarks arent everything. Besides, root the SL/S, apply the lagfix, and you have a 1800 score in Quadrant.
CaliAtenza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 06:16   #2921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The SL and the S are the same usability wise as far as i know
Hey! Thanks so much for taking time out to type such a detailed post. I have almost gotten over the dilemma after reading it. Glad to know that you are thoroughly enjoying your fone. Will check out the stores this weekend. You can as well expect me to join the Galaxy bandwagon very soon. Cheers!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 30th April 2011 at 06:19.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 09:11   #2922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tried each one of them. But no use. Even downgrading to lower version, but it is not working recent handset of Optimus one.
Hey Idea,

Can you tell me -if you are rooting and something goes wrong like say your usb gets disconnected or something else - does the phone boot normally back into the original state ?

I might try to root my Optimus today - the only thing holding me back is the doubt I just asked

btw which version is yours ? Mine is v10c - will z4root work ?
Old 30th April 2011, 09:51   #2923
Senior - BHPian

I'm a first time Android user and i recently bought a samsung Galaxy S. I have the following questions and would appreciate if someone can help me out with this.

- I use mail for exchange through exchange active sync and everything works pretty well. My only issue is the font size of the mails when i reply from my phone. It is courier new, 10 in size and there is no way to change this. This looks very small when viewed on a PC and hence i would want to have it changed to something standard. There doesnt seem to be option to change it, has anyone tried any other method to change the font size of the emails?

- Is task manager the only place to close the applications? For example - I have opera browser running on the phone and if i need to close the browser, is there a shortcut available? I beleive the "return" key on the phone just minimises it, but it still continues to run in the background. I could only do a closure of this from task manager.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th April 2011, 10:14   #2924
BHPian

Quote:

Try gingerbreak: [ROOT] for 2.2.1/2.2.2 - xda-developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Hey Idea,

Can you tell me -if you are rooting and something goes wrong like say your usb gets disconnected or something else - does the phone boot normally back into the original state ?

I might try to root my Optimus today - the only thing holding me back is the doubt I just asked

btw which version is yours ? Mine is v10c - will z4root work ?
There are exactly seven commands to be executed to root the device. Once you hit the execute button, it should not take more than few secs for one-click rooting programs. I would say go ahead.

Again, try gingerbreak for android v2.2.1 or 2.2.2: [ROOT] for 2.2.1/2.2.2 - xda-developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

- Is task manager the only place to close the applications? For example - I have opera browser running on the phone and if i need to close the browser, is there a shortcut available? I beleive the "return" key on the phone just minimises it, but it still continues to run in the background. I could only do a closure of this from task manager.

Thanks in advance.
I guess you have not tried "advanced task killer free" yet? It is a must have app for android. It kills all/selected apps running in the background. You can add one-touch kill switch/icon to home-screen. You can also add shortcut to kill app by app.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 10:45   #2925
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much Comrade, I have installed the advanced task killer now. Should i be manually killing these tasks everytime by getting into this App? for example, though i kill a few apps (Daily briefing), they keep reappearing time and again. I havent used this before and hence please excuse if my question is very dumb.

Also any suggestions on the font question that i had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

I guess you have not tried "advanced task killer free" yet? It is a must have app for android. It kills all/selected apps running in the background. You can add one-touch kill switch/icon to home-screen. You can also add shortcut to kill app by app.

Most Viewed