Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 14:40   #4126
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Can the Desire's memory be increased from 200MB by rooting ? I am not a techfreek and honestly i dont see myself installing many apps in the phone at least for first 6 months. This might change, so to speak how much memory would an average-above average user need for installing apps ?
Can't be increased but definitely you can get around that limitation by rooting. My desire is now rooted and I can move any app to SD card. So the apps that only installs in phone memory is no longer an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Yesterday I tried the MIUI android SD ROM on my HTC HD2, it was very simple and the UI is butter smooth. Lot of themes and animations available. It is better then the plain stock android ROM, other ROM I have is the BOXMax 4.5 Froyo which is very stable and for daily use. Waiting for the BOXMAX 6.x.x Sense 3.0 ROMS to get stable.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1058809
I am going to try MIUI in my Desire now. Hope SLCD version of Desire is supported. Watched a demo of MIUI on youtube and I am impressed by the UI smoothness!

Did you just take a nandroid back up of your existing ROM and installed MIUI? I presume that you reverted back to the previous ROM without any issues after trying MIUI.

Last edited by clevermax : 21st June 2011 at 14:45.
Old 21st June 2011, 14:55   #4127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Can't be increased but definitely you can get around that limitation by rooting. My desire is now rooted and I can move any app to SD card. So the apps that only installs in phone memory is no longer an issue.
I read somewhere that apps can me moved to SD card with Froyo (2.2) onwards. Is that true ? Or even with froyo one needs to root the phone to have apps installed in SD card ?

The Desire sold now seems to come with Froyo
Old 21st June 2011, 15:05   #4128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
I read somewhere that apps can me moved to SD card with Froyo (2.2) onwards. Is that true ? Or even with froyo one needs to root the phone to have apps installed in SD card ?

The Desire sold now seems to come with Froyo
Not true. App developers can set this - if they configure their apps to be installed only on the phone, you can't move them. However, with rooting this is possible. Some apps may not work properly if you move it to SD card, but most of them run without any issues.

See how easy it is to move the app to SD card in CM7. Just need to select. Here the checked ones are in SD and others are not.
Name:  xmntxsdcardxShootMexsnap20110621_150846.png
Views: 445
Size:  101.1 KB

Last edited by clevermax : 21st June 2011 at 15:10.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:21   #4129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Could you give us some examples on how different it is from SGS ? Im curious as they have just changed the screen and all other HW is still the same as SGS. So any update for SGS will also be the same for SGSL too. Aint it ?

BTW, i own a SGS..
SGS has Samsung hummingbird processor since this Phone was sold world wide there are enough number of developers on it mostly based in Europe and USA.
Due to shortage of processors a new line was launched with different processor. SG SL has TI OMAP 3 Processor with similar spec as hummingbird,
From Samsung point of view support is equal but since it was primarily marketed in India and some other south east Asian countries , there are not enough hackers producing custom ROMS for this.

I would say it is not that Samsung cheated but general low level of software enthusiasts in country despite claim to be software superpower.
If someone is really keen he/she need to take the OMAP branch of Android and port the custom patches.

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st June 2011 at 15:48.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:39   #4130
BHPian

Joy of grabing a HTC Desire for 15k was a shortlived one .
Though the Desire is listed in saholic, looks like there are no stocks of them. Tried to puchase one but it didnt let me add one to the cart.

Last edited by donarun : 21st June 2011 at 15:42.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:37   #4131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes yes - absolutely. Completely makes sense. I bought the defy for the VFM, the sturdiness and that the XDA boys had gotten CM7 to work perfectly. I did not buy it for the Motorola software
Haha.. I got rid of my milestone because of the motorola Software....
it is a lovely piece of hardware, but they released a REALLY buggy kernel that messed up everything... i think they did it so that people would voluntarily change over to the Milestone 2...

Also the clowns said that if you want an unlocked phone get HTC or Samsung...
i took their advice.

Now i've got an SGS2 Rooted, Underclocked [to 1 GHz] and running Cognition 1.06

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 21st June 2011 at 16:40.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:49   #4132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Meanwhile you may also try AmericanAndroid based on 2.3.4 (gingerbread) version. I am using it for 2 months now, very stable.
I did use it initially but had some wifi issues so had to switch over to other ROMs. I am using SD MAGLDR bootloader.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:56   #4133
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Just a quick query.
Is there any discount coupons for Flipkart.com too like we have for letsbuy.com?

On letsbuy.com , rcomlb is not working, though icicilb code is working and gives a discount of 1200 bucks!!!

EDIT: And when you buy through icicilb code, do you necessarily have to buy through ICICI Credit card or netbanking?

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 21st June 2011 at 16:59.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:04   #4134
BHPian

Quote:

I am going to try MIUI in my Desire now. Hope SLCD version of Desire is supported. Watched a demo of MIUI on Youtube and I am impressed by the UI smoothness!

Did you just take a nandroid back up of your existing ROM and installed MIUI? I presume that you reverted back to the previous ROM without any issues after trying MIUI.
I have not installed anything in Nand, all the ROM are SD Based, so I swap the SDs. I have kept the Boxmax 4.5 as the primary and test other ROMs in another SD card. I am yet to install clkwork mod recovery and then install any stable ROM into Nand.

Negatives I found in MIUI
*Though the UI is similar to the iPhone and eye candy, I believe it doesn't support FM radio.
*After using the HTC sense ROMs you are in the back seat as there are no apps, need to download the entire set e.g. facebook, youtube, maps etc and HTC widgets won't work.
*Battery doesn't stay long.

The main reason for me to try MIUI was in HTC Sense 2.1 when a call comes we need to swipe down to answer it, most of the time when I take it from my pocket it gets answered, for that I used widgetlocker, but it is just a work around since anyway after unlocking the widget locker I have to swipe down to answer. In MIUI also need to swipe down to answer which is again not configurable. I want the HTC Sense 3.0 lock screen alone to be ported into Froyo but no solution till now.

Let me know if you have come across this issue.
gopinathann is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 17:21   #4135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
*Battery doesn't stay long.
I've decided not to try that ROM for this reason alone. My search for the battery efficient but 2.3 based ROM still continues..
Old 21st June 2011, 17:23   #4136
BHPian

Quote:
I've decided not to try that ROM for this reason alone. My search for the battery efficient but 2.3 based ROM still continues..
CyanogenMod 7...
installed that on my Milestone and Battery life doubled at the least...
inspite of Overclocking it. & having 3G on constantly.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:37   #4137
BHPian

Help me guys !!

My wifey's Samsung Galaxy Ace suddenly decided to show only on Dialer and Application icons at the bottom of the home screen; Messaging and Contacts icons have disappeared.

I have rebooted the device several times; even removed and reinstalled the battery but to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be the cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Haha.. I got rid of my milestone because of the motorola Software....
it is a lovely piece of hardware, but they released a REALLY buggy kernel that messed up everything... i think they did it so that people would voluntarily change over to the Milestone 2...

Also the clowns said that if you want an unlocked phone get HTC or Samsung...
i took their advice.

Now i've got an SGS2 Rooted, Underclocked [to 1 GHz] and running Cognition 1.06
Congratulations on being proud owner of SGS2; please do post your feedback as I am stuck for choice between SGS2 and iPhone 4.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:50   #4138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Help me guys !!

My wifey's Samsung Galaxy Ace suddenly decided to show only on Dialer and Application icons at the bottom of the home screen; Messaging and Contacts icons have disappeared.

I have rebooted the device several times; even removed and reinstalled the battery but to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be the cause?

Congratulations on being proud owner of SGS2; please do post your feedback as I am stuck for choice between SGS2 and iPhone 4.
1> You can access contacts directly from the Dialler.
2> open the app drawer, select the Messaging icon and drag it onto the Dock..

The SGS2 is insane...
it's not perfect though...
The most irritation feature is the Power Up Lag.
after pressing the power button, it will take upto a second for the lock screen to show. [The phone is in sleep mode, it is not off]

The Speaker is not loud. it's clear, but not loud.
And the stock OS is not upto the mark. it's not tood good... but considering its a completely unlocked phone, there will be good Dev support and CustomROMS are already apprearing for the SGS2.
I'm running Cognition, but eagerly waiting for CyanogenMod7.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:56   #4139
BHPian

There is no comparision between Iphone 4 and Galaxy S2. Iphone 4 is already quite old and S2 is the latest smartphone in the market.
iphone4 is launched recently in india but it is already old fruit.

S2 can be compared with HTC sensation but iphone and S2 are in different league altogether.
S2 and Sensation are dual core phone, pls check specs for more details.
Old 21st June 2011, 18:10   #4140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
There is no comparision between Iphone 4 and Galaxy S2. Iphone 4 is already quite old and S2 is the latest smartphone in the market.
iphone4 is launched recently in india but it is already old fruit.

S2 can be compared with HTC sensation but iphone and S2 are in different league altogether.
S2 and Sensation are dual core phone, pls check specs for more details.
1> The S2 out performs the HTC Sensation in Benchmark scores
2> The S2 is lighter
3> The S2 has a Super Amoled Screen while the HTC Sensation has an SLCD Screen
4> The S2 has more RAM.

I have never used an HTC Sensation so i can't do a real world comparison.

The S2 has an unlocked Bootloader while the Sensation has a Locked one. this might be changing in the future. [HTC might be unlocking theirs]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks