Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:17   #7111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

galaxy R is simply rocking. It will get ICS soon enough - why take so much tension.enjoy man
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:07   #7112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
the only concern i have is that Neo V will be getting ICS 4.0 while samsung has still not announced any plans for Galaxy R for ICS 4.0
Thanks, but I placed the order just after reading the official announcement from Samsung that Galaxy R is going to get the ICS in the near future.

Please check Samsung Confirms ICS 4.0 for Galaxy S2, Note, R, Tab 10.1, Tab 7.7 and more | Android Advices

My only concern with Galaxy R is the lack of gorilla glass display, but there is no 100% perfect phone at 20k AFAIK.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:13   #7113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h

I guess, this problem must be limited to those with GT-i9000, like myself. Thank you for the revert.

Samsung told me that using a Vodafone Android or 3g SIM from Vodafone, made up words. Vodafone proposed that I select Vodafone IN under the SIM settings, in vain unfortunately.

I would be grateful, if you could provide any information pertaining to this; I would hate to switch operators especially because I'm happy with Vodafone.
It has definitely to do some thing with firmware, do a clean swipe, flash the latest firmware. Do some research on XDA.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:40   #7114
Senior - BHPian

Attention Galaxy owners, for this holiday season Samsung is giving away limited number of free games.

Name:  listapps1221.png
Views: 907
Size:  65.4 KB

*EDIT*: The lost row contains Galaxy Ace and Galaxy Gio

Name:  sammyapps1221.png
Views: 695
Size:  165.1 KB

Source: Samsung's in a gifting mood, is giving away up to 16 free games for select Galaxy devices - Engadget
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:29   #7115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
It has definitely to do some thing with firmware, do a clean swipe, flash the latest firmware. Do some research on XDA.
The firmware was my 1st suspect, which is why I tried 2.3.6 and then 2.3.3, both do not like Vodafone.

I'm not a big fan of Airtel, would you recommend Tata to me ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 14:47   #7116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Finally, went ahead and placed the order for Galaxy R at letsbuy.com for Rs.19990 - I hope this is a sensible purchase and the 4.5k premium over the SE Xperia Neo V is worthy...

Please share your thoughts.
Letsbuy.com is showing Rs 20990/- for Galaxy R

How did you manage to get it for Rs 19990/-

Got some discount coupon code with you ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:22   #7117
BHPian

My HTC Desire HD received an over the air update yesterday and is now upgraded to Android 2.3.5 with HTC Sense 3.0.

I love the new official upgrade by HTC! Still exploring the new features.

Can anyone update if the same upgrade is now done in India?

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 22nd December 2011 at 16:40.
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:46   #7118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Letsbuy.com is showing Rs 20990/- for Galaxy R

How did you manage to get it for Rs 19990/-

Got some discount coupon code with you ?
Yeah, 5% (Max Rs.1000) coupon - only for mobiles - LBMOBILES5
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:16   #7119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
The firmware was my 1st suspect, which is why I tried 2.3.6 and then 2.3.3, both do not like Vodafone.

I'm not a big fan of Airtel, would you recommend Tata to me ?
Did you do a clean wipe ? Boot in to recovery and swipe everything.

Check this if it helps.

HOW TO: Enable 850Mhz 3G Network Frequency on your Samsung i9000 Galaxy S - Android Forums
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:53   #7120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Did you do a clean wipe ? Boot in to recovery and swipe everything.

Check this if it helps.

HOW TO: Enable 850Mhz 3G Network Frequency on your Samsung i9000 Galaxy S - Android Forums
I did do that. Although, such drastic measures seem unnecessary considering the problem.

I picked up a Tata Docomo sim this evening and with no effort at all it works just fine. For no fault of theirs, Vodafone lost a customer today.
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:12   #7121
BHPian

Re: T-Mobile sim on a LG O1?

I brought my LG O1 from India to US, and tried a T-Mobile SIM on it, in the store. Voice calls seem to go through fine, but the data service is not getting through. The sales rep tried few things, and gave up.

Am i missing something here? Is there any setting or updates that needs to be done? Please advice.

Old 23rd December 2011, 12:44   #7122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I brought my LG O1 from India to US, and tried a T-Mobile SIM on it, in the store. Voice calls seem to go through fine, but the data service is not getting through. The sales rep tried few things, and gave up.

Am i missing something here? Is there any setting or updates that needs to be done? Please advice.
It is almost always a baseband/radio issue - diff countries/providers use different frequencies. See what the motorola defy tool can handle - [Tool] basebandswitcher V4 multilanguage V0.7 (22.07.2011) - xda-developers

try flashing different ROMs or a baseband switcher or such app for your phone (DONT FLASH THE ABOVE FILE for your LG o1).

That said, i need help on two items:
a. Market has this idiotic "update all" option. Today 52 apps needed to update and that's KILLED my phone. Can't it update 5 at a time like smart-phones? Dufus.

b. Some stupid app has enabled an airpush ad platform on my phone (xapush.com notifications pop up daily). I am thoroughly irritated. how to remove the darned thing from my phone and the bloody app which brought it?

Considering the recent apps i bought were in the recent app sale, I am freaking pissed. I paid money and got crap. (though bulk of apps are really nice!)
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:40   #7123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That said, i need help on two items:
a. Market has this idiotic "update all" option. Today 52 apps needed to update and that's KILLED my phone. Can't it update 5 at a time like smart-phones? Dufus.
Yes this is so irritating. Earlier market had option to update selectively. Now its either one by one or all. However, if you select update all, it goes one by one only.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:25   #7124
BHPian

Hey fellow Android junta! I've been a loyal Nokia user for close to a decade now, but finally intend to switch to an Android smartphone.

My primary usage will be mainly for voice (and video whenever possible) calls and plenty of browsing, GPS use, scheduler and the occasional games. And I want the phone to be well built to handle regular usage.

My budget is in the range of 20k and have the following in mind (in no particular order though):
Samsung Galaxy R:
LG O2x
HTC Incredible S

To be honest, apart from Galaxy R, I've never actually seen the other 2 phones. Been reading website reviews and user reviews and it is hard for me to figure out what would suit me best!

From my understanding, it appears that HTC battery backup is not so great, but it comes with a great UI, good looking and solidly built. It appears that GB updates are now also happening OTA. ICS update announced?
O2X seems to have the best specs - dual core processor, decent camera, Tegra 2, apparently decent battery, HDMI mirroring and all this at a very good price. But, heck, LG? It is sad to see user comments about delays in GB updates and only wonder when ICS will ever come (though LG officially has included it in the ICS upgrade list)!
Galaxy: man, full marks to Samsung for having marketed their phones so damn well! It appears that lack of Gorilla glass display and some minor ones like not so great headsets are a sore point with this phone. ICS update also announced for this phone.

I need some help to go ahead with the buying decision. The head says O2X for the VFM it offers. But the heart says Incredible S. And as for Galaxy R, hmm, well I'm rather undecided on it I'm also aware that I can very well switch to a custom ROM with the O2X for a better user experience. But I wanted help from the users of O2X and Incredible S to guide me a bit on the strengths and weaknesses they've faced.
TIA!
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:09   #7125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
I need some help to go ahead with the buying decision. The head says O2X for the VFM it offers. But the heart says Incredible S. And as for Galaxy R, hmm, well I'm rather undecided on it I'm also aware that I can very well switch to a custom ROM with the O2X for a better user experience. But I wanted help from the users of O2X and Incredible S to guide me a bit on the strengths and weaknesses they've faced.
TIA!

Tough call!

The galaxy R is faster, whereas the Incredible S has the better camera.But the incredible is laden with HTC sense goodness .whereas the R has a slightly bigger screen.

The Galaxy R has slightly better hardware (tegra 2 ) but as of now the incredible has better DEV support (i'm sure the R will catch up).

I would pick the incredible,i'm kinda biased towards HTC phones phones

HTC incredible/galaxy R users can chime in

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks