Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 14:06   #8206
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ah I agree. Indoor shooting is really its achilles heel - I think the likes of SGS2 or Galaxy R besides the Sonys would have been better indoor shooters!
I think even Sonys don't have very good cameras. I'm using Xperia Neo V right now and it doesn't come anywhere close to my old Samsung Wave. Both have 5mp shooters but the image qualities are day and night apart .
Old 17th March 2012, 16:33   #8207
Senior - BHPian

^^^Which Wave are you talking about? The predecessor of Wave III I guess (can't recall the model number)? The difference is THAT large?

Last edited by Raccoon : 17th March 2012 at 16:35.
Old 17th March 2012, 19:57   #8208
BHPian

I'm talking about the original Samsung Wave I. Yes, the difference is THAT large. I think the Neo V can produce good images but SE has decided to apply ridiculous amount of compression on the JPEG images. You won't believe that my 5mp Neo V camera outputs images of size 800kb. I hope they fix this in next software update.
Old 17th March 2012, 22:59   #8209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Which Wave are you talking about? The predecessor of Wave III I guess (can't recall the model number)? The difference is THAT large?
Yes the original Wave I was exceptional when it came to camera performance, I also have a Wave 723 with 5 mega pixel which clicks very good pictures both indoor and outdoor, but the only let down is BADA os
Old 17th March 2012, 23:56   #8210
BHPian

Guys, Have a problem and wondering whether there is a solution.
I have a Galaxy S (running on GB all official) no rooting, no custom rom, etc i.e. everything stock.
The phone crashed today evening when I had kept it for recharging. When I checked everything was gone. All contacts/SMS, etc. Unfortunately the backup that I had taken was approx a couple of months back, hence wondering on the following:
1. Is there any way I can recover my lost data?
2. If it is not a crash, I was wondering what else could have caused this?

Kindly advise

Cheers
f1fan
Old 18th March 2012, 00:27   #8211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Yes the original Wave I was exceptional when it came to camera performance, I also have a Wave 723 with 5 mega pixel which clicks very good pictures both indoor and outdoor, but the only let down is BADA os
Right. I'v seen samples. It is no doubt exceptional for a mobile cam.

The fact is pretty clear - WP or Bada (and maybe to a lesser extent extent Nokia) all have much better hardware for the price than any Android phone. Choose a "powerful" OS (Andy) and get crappy hardware or choose better hardware and face all kind of limitations on the software front.

Why this step-motherly hardware treatment for Android?
Old 18th March 2012, 06:53   #8212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Why this step-motherly hardware treatment for Android?
How do you say that? What makes Android HW inferior to a WP or Nokia HW?
Old 18th March 2012, 07:23   #8213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
How do you say that? What makes Android HW inferior to a WP or Nokia HW?
I think he meant "for the same price". For 15k you can buy an overall better WP or Bada or Symbian phone than an Android. Droids only make sense in 22k+ range (otherwise the whole experience is not so good). In general, 20k-35k is the real ANDroid territory. 35k+, the humongous-ly overpriced Iphone rules completely.
Old 18th March 2012, 11:14   #8214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

I think he meant "for the same price". For 15k you can buy an overall better WP or Bada or Symbian phone than an Android. Droids only make sense in 22k+ range (otherwise the whole experience is not so good). In general, 20k-35k is the real ANDroid territory. 35k+, the humongous-ly overpriced Iphone rules completely.
Exactly. Just look at Omnia W. That's a lot of phone for 14k. No android can match its specs at that price.
Old 18th March 2012, 11:25   #8215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
For 15k you can buy an overall better WP or Bada or Symbian phone than an Android. Droids only make sense in 22k+ range (otherwise the whole experience is not so good). In general, 20k-35k is the real ANDroid territory. 35k+, the humongous-ly overpriced Iphone rules completely.
I agree with the 1st sentence. To enjoy 'droid you need to a high end handset will offer a better user experience albeit with some exceptions.
As a person with a foot in the android and IOS camps here are my thoughts:

I feel a bit disappointed with the experience offered by my Rs 33K (when purchased back in early Dec '11) android phone, the Moto Razr. It now sells for about Rs 30K. It is a lovely handset - mostly metal & kevlar with Gorilla glass. Build quality is very good (8/10), as is RF performance.

By comparison the iPhone 4s works literally flawlessly - no jerks, no jitters no waiting for a pie-in-the-sky OS i.e. ICS upgrade. The only issue I found with IOS 5.x is the 'searching..' for network when the phone is switched on after a hardware power off. 'Antennagate' has is resolved. Build quality is well, superb. I'd give it a 9.

I agree with the overpriced iPhone - it is shocking. But then Apple, in India and abroad, always positions their phones and computers as lifestyle products. You can't compare a Macbook Air or Pro to run-of-the-mill Dell/HP/Lenovo laptops. IMHO the Macs are beautiful to behold, touch & use.

Cheers

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th March 2012 at 11:28. Reason: typo
Old 18th March 2012, 11:26   #8216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Exactly. Just look at Omnia W. That's a lot of phone for 14k. No android can match its specs at that price.
Exactly my point. I wonder what background processes are running that have brought this about. Is M$ subsidizing hardware? Samsung may be doing this for obvious reasons in case of Bada. Or do phone makers feel customers will still buy an Android despite its lower hardware specifications? Or is something else afoot? The difference in hardware is clearly substantial. Look at Samsung's Androids in the 15k range. Not one is worthwhile. There has to be some strategy behind it.

Last edited by Raccoon : 18th March 2012 at 11:38.
Old 18th March 2012, 11:41   #8217
Team-BHP Support

Guys. When are the Xperia P, U and HTC 1 series launching in India?

Another thing I noted is that the popular shops (Universal/Sangeetha) in Bangalore
dont keep all the brands. For example I did not find Motorola phones available easily.

I was trying to pitch Atrix 2 against other equivalent ones. For the price range of Atrix 2
I dont get a GB of RAM and a dual core from any one else ? Till we see the new models rolling in.

When is that suppose to happen?
Old 18th March 2012, 17:36   #8218
BHPian

freinds,

I am in market for a good android phone under Rs 20K. I have shortlised
1. Sony ericsson Neo v
2. LG optimus black p970
3. Samsung galaxy R

The phone should have excellent email features, internet browsing, good GPS and camera.

Which is the best option?
Old 18th March 2012, 19:53   #8219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ok so after struggling with the ICS on defy yields nothing. I went back to WIUI hybrid ICS (or soon GB). Defy ICS is not yet ready for average joes. Its nowhere as lag-free as GB though it was almost tolerable running Nova launcher!
I also tried the ICS CM9-NIGHTLY-120308-Defy(hwa) version (8th March build) and it was very very laggy. press one icon and wait for it to respond -- even though I have set it on performance mode == 1Gz. Nothing seemed to move and the trebuchet launcher was just hanging left right and center. The battery drained in just 7+ hours (with a calltime of just 1.5 hours and heavy 3G usage) The phone also became toooo hot on usage.

Then I decided to go back one version and installed the CM9-ICS-MR1-120305-jordan build (5th March one). This one seems to be working much much better. Can explore it and see how it is. Battery is holding nicely till now and the response is much much smoother. All applications -- including the camera seem to be working fine.

Have to say that ICS is a quantum leap on the overall feel factor. Especially the fonts seem to have been reworked and they are very pleasing to the eyes.

Here are screenshots of the ICS on defy
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120318070657.png

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120318194230.png

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2012 at 19:59.
Old 18th March 2012, 20:10   #8220
Senior - BHPian

I agree - its almost there but there's a niggling lag at times which just got me irritated.

use the nova launcher as a system app and save its settings - it rocks! Trebuchet is honestly crap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks