Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2012, 14:50   #8611
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

hi guys.
I have an LG Optimus p970 and am all set to play around with it (READ as root it).

Now, the first question is, what benefits do i get if i root it.
Secondly, I would like to install custom firmwares based on IceCreamSandwich, and would like to know the most reliable place to get the firmwares. I have played around with iPhones quite a bit, but this is the first time i am doing anything with Android.

My primary requirements:
1. Good usability. My current phone does work well, but seems a little slow. The UI specially is a little jittery.
2. I extensively use corporate email on it. So, anything newer on better email clients etc, - i want it.
Old 14th April 2012, 15:14   #8612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree. It's easier said than done but this customization is what the chap is harping about. .
I can't agree on your disagreement he he.. he is talking a bit more than customization I guess, Anyway we know Android is made for it...!

Will CM9 run smoothly on Defy? I hope I get CM9 for my device too :(
Old 14th April 2012, 16:48   #8613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Will CM9 run smoothly on Defy? I hope I get CM9 for my device too :(
Depends on the nightly version one runs I guess. I have begun to believe nothing can beat WIUI for a defy in user experience and feel!!

Have switched thru many versions of CM7, WIUI and some stray nightlies of CM9. I feel WIUI is a complete ROM if one does not want to play with too many settings by themselves!

Cheers
Old 14th April 2012, 18:36   #8614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
An awesome video. IOS lacks basic features like transfer of files via bluetooth. When i showed my IOS friends features like wi fi direct, they were shocked that Android was such a powerhouse. IOS tends to get boring over time. Android has a lot to explore and keep exploring.
For one, I find the back option to be a very big positive in Android.
Old 14th April 2012, 18:36   #8615
BHPian

Some of my friends who purchased the Galaxy S2 i9100G and wanted the international version (i9100), called the customer care and argued with them on being sold an inferior phone. Their phone was replaced by Samsung. So if anyone is interested, they can try the same too
Old 14th April 2012, 20:49   #8616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Some of my friends who purchased the Galaxy S2 i9100G and wanted the international version (i9100), called the customer care and argued with them on being sold an inferior phone. Their phone was replaced by Samsung. So if anyone is interested, they can try the same too
nonsense. by that logic all fiat india cars will be returned for the italian fiat models
Old 14th April 2012, 21:38   #8617
KRN
BHPian

Sony Neo V - Review & Impressions after 1.5 months

Here is a quick review of my 1.5 month old Sony Neo V. Hopefully it will help someone make a decision about this phone.

Background: I bought this phone from eBay (only Dealer warranty) for 13.9K to replace my 1.5 year old HTC Wildfire

Pros:
1. Look & Feel (subjective): Love the piano like paint finish on my white NEO V. Turns a few heads
2. Build: Good (so far). No squeaks or creaks so far (it is still a new phone). I have protected the phone with a case and screen guard.
3. Excellent implementation of Ginger Bread by Sony: The phone really shines in this area. Hats off to Sony for creating such a stable version of gingerbread on this device. In spite of being "only" a 1 GHz processor phone, it zips along well and animations and transitions are smooth.
4. Excellent battery life: Again, Sony's optimization shines here. Going from a HTC Wildfire to a Sony seems like night and day in terms of battery life. My phone lasts 1.5 days of heavy use (3 to 4 hours of voice calls, couple of hours of emails, web browsing etc.)
5. Nice wall papers and themes. I believe that Sony still does beautiful designs, perhaps next to only Apple (IMO). Timescape is very pleasing and pretty to look at
6. Camera: Nothing great, not bad either. Good for the occasional photo. If you need excellent photos, you may want to look at the Neo instead of Neo V. Depending on your expectation about the camera this may be a pro or con for this phone
7. ICS update: Sony started rolling out its country wise ICS update from yesterday. Expected in India shortly and I am eagerly waiting for it. Sony is one of the few manufacturers to roll out ICS very early and to ALL of their 2011 devices (and not just flagship devices like other manufacturers). I will post an updated review once I receive the update
8. Overall: Excellent device for anyone looking for a mid tier device. Sony phones are typically under spec-ed, but believe me, they have made up for that in terms of optimization of the OS and UI. The ICS update is icing on top of an excellent device

Cons:
1. Phone could have been thinner. In today's world of slim phones, Sony should have made it a bit slimmer. However, the finish makes up a bit (in terms of looks) for the slightly thicker profile
2. Email App - This is the most used app on my phone and Sony has disappointed me big time with this. Lack of ability to move mails to folders, no conversation view, lack of out of office settings are a few key missing features. Sony's ICS update is expected to beef up the email client. If not, I am planning to buy an email app from the Android market. My low end HTC had all these features
3. Nice touches from HTC that are missing with Sony. E.g. Automatically reduce ring volume when phone is picked up, turn phone face down to reject call, birthday reminder when someone with a birthday today calls, showing their facebook status when someone calls etc. You may not really miss these features unless you are moving from HTC
4. Lack of smart dialing: Not sure what Sony was thinking when they omitted this feature. Anyway, the ICS update is expected to have this. There are also plenty of third party dialers available on Android Market if this is a must have for you

I want to thank Team BHP members especially bhp_maniac for guiding me in choosing this device. At the price point that I bought, this is amazing value for money and unbelievably good.

I will post an updated review after I receive the ICS update
Old 14th April 2012, 21:48   #8618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

nonsense. by that logic all fiat india cars will be returned for the italian fiat models
Ha ha.... BTW, I should watch out to see if that ever happens...I have Indian made Palio and Punto to replace with original Italian made ones

Last edited by clevermax : 14th April 2012 at 21:49.
Old 14th April 2012, 22:53   #8619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have the stock CM9 contacts and dialer. Ergo piece of manure. Try ExDialer. It simply rocks.
Thanks. Downloaded. Agree with you 100%.

Quote:
Apparently the 9100 model had a better processor than the G version.
Old 14th April 2012, 22:56   #8620
BHPian

Quote:
I ain't kidding, a couple of friends did get their phones exchanged. They raised the issue in the call center a couple of times and sent emails. They later said that they would go to the consumer court because they were sold an inferior product. 2 days later, they had to go to the Samsung Zonal Office and get it exchanged. If you do own a i9100g and want to exchange it, you can try it out too

Here is a screenshot of the same. Masked names for privacy.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-samsung.jpg
Old 15th April 2012, 00:01   #8621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang
hi guys.
I have an LG Optimus p970 and am all set to play around with it (READ as root it).

Now, the first question is, what benefits do i get if i root it.
Secondly, I would like to install custom firmwares based on IceCreamSandwich, and would like to know the most reliable place to get the firmwares. I have played around with iPhones quite a bit, but this is the first time i am doing anything with Android.

My primary requirements:
1. Good usability. My current phone does work well, but seems a little slow. The UI specially is a little jittery.
2. I extensively use corporate email on it. So, anything newer on better email clients etc, - i want it.
Go to xda developers.
You'll get a step by step on rooting for your device, you'll get to know why, plus, you'll get loads of roms and all.

Editlus, rooting an android is a much different ball game, compared to the iPhone. Just be prepped to get locked out on occasion.

Last edited by mayankk : 15th April 2012 at 00:04.
Old 15th April 2012, 00:36   #8622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Just flashed me S2 into CM9+SlimICS Ver 3.3
Does the video recording work?
Old 15th April 2012, 00:42   #8623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Does the video recording work?
Yup it does. Working fine.
Old 15th April 2012, 02:20   #8624
BHPian

Hi!

I would request advise and suggestions form the experts on buying a dual sim (cdma+GSM) androit phone.

The one I have zeroed on is Samsung Galaxy Ace dous, retailing on flipkart at 13.5K.

Request advice on buying this phone or if some better options are available.

Thanks

Manish
Old 15th April 2012, 08:06   #8625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anyone know where in Bangalore you can get the S2 I9100. Looks like everyone is stocking the I9100G and not the I9100.
Any luck Vid?? Even I am looking for the i9100 version of S2. Please let me know if you manage to find it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks