Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 21:43   #9841
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Was finally able to update using KIES on Mac . After that got a notification on the phone of an update available !

Downloaded via wifi on phone - small update of 9 MB - now the phone is up to date.
Anything specific you did? I got a tab 2 and it's frustrating to work with kies
Old 25th June 2012, 22:33   #9842
BHPian

If you own a HTC Sensation like me - good news for you! News: HTC Sensation, XL, XE finally get to taste Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0 rolling in India | Install or Not
Old 25th June 2012, 23:46   #9843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter

Nope, there is no additional charge on the card. They charge the same amount that is shown when you buy the app, although it says that there maybe additional charges. I haven't seen any additional charges so far ( and I have bought more than 10 apps so far in the past 2 months ).

As far as I have read, the developers pay 25$ to register to distribute on the Play store. 70% of the cut goes to the developers, while the remaining 30% is distributed among the carriers/ payment processors. Google doesn't take a cut. But this info could be wrong too.
Google certainly gets 30%.

And you will most likely pay an additional 3.5% as foreign currency markup charged by your credit card company.
Old 26th June 2012, 01:22   #9844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Very well said Raccoon. IMHO google should also relax the refund policy. I bought max payne last week and it was not downloading the data properly. By the time i download 1.3gb of additiobal data, the refund policy time window expires. Anywyas sent a mail to rockstar, they fixed the issue. A very good game.
Atleast if we cant buy apps during regular times, we can surely buy during Discount times. I bought Fruit Ninja for Rs.5.xx, GTA3 for 55.xx and Asphalt for 55.xx.
Well, it seems Google has tried to balance demands of both devs and customers... so its there for a reason. But as a customer, I'd of course feel as you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@Raccoon: I am using SwiftKey 3 beta (and the thing does not seem to expire at all).
Nothing unofficial. I will send across the link if you are interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
It will expire day after tomorrow :-)
Thanks so much S_U_N, but I have the paid version now. Anyway, its its really expiring day after, it won't be of any use. Btw, did you face any issues with the Beta version?

Quote:
Google certainly gets 30%.

And you will most likely pay an additional 3.5% as foreign currency markup charged by your credit card company.
Have no reliable info on what Google gets, if anything at all. Have heard opposing claims. Anyway, it seems there was some extra charge for making my 1st purchase - 1$. But it seems it is either actually not charged (though the entry will be there) or if charged, it will be refunded. Seems it is for verification. Will see if it really happens. Since the card is not mine, I'll have to wait and ask the owner for info.

I'm not much of a gamer at all, but these 2 VERY nice games have managed to get me hooked (something very rare). Feel like purchasing these too.

AirAttack HD - Amazing graphics!
Osmos HD - Osmos features unique physics-based play, stellar graphics, and a hypnotic soundtrack of ambient electronica (from the game's description).

Both have free demo versions.

Can somebody tell me if purchased apps fetch updates for life or is there some limit?

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th June 2012 at 01:26.
Old 26th June 2012, 01:29   #9845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon

Well, it seems Google has tried to balance demands of both devs and customers... so its there for a reason. But as a customer, I'd of course feel as you do.

Thanks so much S_U_N, but I have the paid version now. Anyway, its its really expiring day after, it won't be of any use. Btw, did you face any issues with the Beta version?

Have no reliable info on what Google gets, if anything at all. Have heard opposing claims. Anyway, it seems there was some extra charge for making my 1st purchase - 1$. But it seems it is either actually not charged (though the entry will be there) or if charged, it will be refunded. Seems it is for verification. Will see if it really happens. Since the card is not mine, I'll have to wait and ask the owner for info.

Can somebody tell me if purchased apps fetch updates for life or is there some limit?
The 1$ charge is not actually charged to the card. It's a temporary hold by Google when you first register /use the card on the Play store...just to check validity I presume.

The 3.5% foreign currency markup will appear in the card statement as a separate entry.

Updates for purchased apps are free for life....of the app, if you know what I mean.
Old 26th June 2012, 10:24   #9846
Senior - BHPian

Out you go SwiftKey, welcome back Swype.

When I started using Swiftkey, I didn't imagine I will do this. Switched back to Swype after 4 days.

Swiftkey was an initial Euphoria only. It was never as fast as Swype.

Why I switched back to Swype? Because I hold the phone and type with only one hand, and there is nothing like Swype to do that. Swiftkey requires you to use both hands in order to type efficiently. There are some cases where you have to really spend some time to get things corrected , for example, you want to type mysite.in and it always types this as mysite. In and that needs to be manually corrected.

With the speed it generates letters and the typing sound, you may think that Swiftkey is fast but an experienced Swype user can easily beat the speed of it.

Last edited by clevermax : 26th June 2012 at 10:27.
Old 26th June 2012, 10:35   #9847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

When I started using Swiftkey, I didn't imagine I will do this. Switched back to Swype after 4 days.

Why I switched back to Swype? Because I hold the phone and type with only one hand, and there is nothing like Swype to do that. Swiftkey requires you to use both hands in order to type efficiently. There are some cases where you have to really spend some time to get things corrected , for example, you want to type mysite.in and it always types this as mysite. In and that needs to be manually corrected.

With the speed it generates letters and the typing sound, you may think that Swiftkey is fast but an experienced Swype user can easily beat the speed of it.
Same here.. Swiftkey is not as swift as Swype for me as well. Back to Swype after a week of lots of texting using Swiftkey... Did't time anything as such but felt more comfortable with Swype.
Old 26th June 2012, 10:38   #9848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Hey madnish Thanks for this. Was waiting for this update for ages.

Thats makes it two things we share
Old 26th June 2012, 11:26   #9849
BHPian

Folks - I already received a firmware upgrade to my Galaxy S3 which promises better stability etc. Need to check how it performs now. I have attached the firmware details after the update. Other S3 users pls confirm.

One thing that I was frustrated with was that i could not make any calls sitting at my desk as the connectivity was poor. Looks like it has imporved after the update. I was also not able to connect to the data services, now looks like the connectivity also has improved after the update.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120626114431.png  

Last edited by NFS2024 : 26th June 2012 at 11:46. Reason: Need to upload correct picture
Old 26th June 2012, 13:00   #9850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
AirAttack HD - Amazing graphics!
Osmos HD - Osmos features unique physics-based play, stellar graphics, and a hypnotic soundtrack of ambient electronica (from the game's description).

Both have free demo versions.

I have played the demo version of Air Attack a little. I liked the game but not enough to pay for it yet.

Osmos HD on the other hand is an awesome game. I bought it when Google launched the Play Store and Osmos was sold for 99 cents. It's a great game and is worth much more than the 99 cents. There are lots and lots of levels and each level is different from the other and you could play them on multiple difficulty settings. The game is a nice change of pace from the fast and furious games that dominate the market these days. Definitely worth the money.

And yes, we do get life time free updates for the apps that we pay for.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:04   #9851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024
Folks - I already received a firmware upgrade to my Galaxy S3 which promises better stability etc. Need to check how it performs now. I have attached the firmware details after the update. Other S3 users pls confirm.

One thing that I was frustrated with was that i could not make any calls sitting at my desk as the connectivity was poor. Looks like it has imporved after the update. I was also not able to connect to the data services, now looks like the connectivity also has improved after the update.
Did S3 come with 4.0.3? Can you tell us if the battery life has improved? I'm eagerly waiting for the .4 upgrade on my note. I've heard that this is very stable compared to the current .3.
Old 26th June 2012, 14:09   #9852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Did S3 come with 4.0.3? Can you tell us if the battery life has improved? I'm eagerly waiting for the .4 upgrade on my note. I've heard that this is very stable compared to the current .3.
S3 already comes with 4.0.4. This i guess is to fix some minor bugs and improve the stability of the firmware.
Old 26th June 2012, 16:19   #9853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1$ charge is not actually charged to the card. It's a temporary hold by Google when you first register /use the card on the Play store...just to check validity I presume.

The 3.5% foreign currency markup will appear in the card statement as a separate entry.

Updates for purchased apps are free for life....of the app, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:

What is your opinion about the prediction accuracy of Swype Vs Swiftkey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I have played the demo version of Air Attack a little. I liked the game but not enough to pay for it yet.

Osmos HD on the other hand is an awesome game. I bought it when Google launched the Play Store and Osmos was sold for 99 cents. It's a great game and is worth much more than the 99 cents. There are lots and lots of levels and each level is different from the other and you could play them on multiple difficulty settings. The game is a nice change of pace from the fast and furious games that dominate the market these days. Definitely worth the money.

And yes, we do get life time free updates for the apps that we pay for.
I really like Airattack HD. The demo version though is quite short. If the paid version has many more scenarios, then I think its worth buying. Hope it will be available at a discount sometime. The graphics are really great. Or do you know any better equivalent game?
Old 26th June 2012, 17:09   #9854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Anything specific you did? I got a tab 2 and it's frustrating to work with kies
On windows the operation timed out error was frequent.

So I went home and tried with the Mac - gave me the error a coupe of times. I disconnected the phone and went to sleep.

Next morning when I switched on the Mac, Kies indicated that software update has been downloaded for the phone. So I connected and KIES did the rest.

How it was able to complete the software download without the phone not being connected to the Mac is something I will never know.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:35   #9855
BHPian

Quote:

When I started using Swiftkey, I didn't imagine I will do this. Switched back to Swype after 4 days...

...With the speed it generates letters and the typing sound, you may think that Swiftkey is fast but an experienced Swype user can easily beat the speed of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Same here.. Swiftkey is not as swift as Swype for me as well. Back to Swype after a week of lots of texting using Swiftkey... Did't time anything as such but felt more comfortable with Swype.
I have had similar experience using swiftkey! unfortunately I bought the app and wasted 50.xx (when it was on sale) which i should not have.

I am not back to swype beta and touchpal. Both are good and i somehow like touchpal for its accuracy. In some cases swype is annoying, asking you to touch the word again to save it in dictionary whereas touchpal learns it automatically! However, speed & accuracy of both these keyboards is on par i believe. Have you guys tried the touchpal ?

Most Viewed