Old 22nd August 2012, 21:39   #10861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Galaxy S (i9000) Owners:
]

cya
R
Sir do try out the Helly bean release also. They havent released a stable rom yet but works pretty well and is updated almost daily with the latest fixes. I installed that for my friend's Galaxy S(now moved him back to cm9 ics till stable helly bean comes out). Its a direct port from nexus S.

Also on the cm9 ics build iirc you can edit screen sensitivity, type of vibrations, pattern etc. And brightness can also be adjusted by swiping sideways on the status bar. I think this is also available in stock samsung GB rom.

This is a latest update on battery life with paranoid rom on the Note. With heavy usage today.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120822_214035.png
Views: 810
Size:  125.6 KB

Regards.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd August 2012 at 05:07. Reason: merging posts as requested
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:06   #10862
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
This is a latest update on battery life with paranoid rom on the Note. With heavy usage today.

Attachment 973679

Moderator: please join the two posts as i forgot to attach the screenshot in the previous post. Thanks.
Hi Can you please post the link of the ROM download page. I am going crazy with my latest update of 4.0.4 on the Note

I am currently using the update for the stock rom. So if I do this would I be able to do this normally through ODIN or there's some other process.
Thanks

Last edited by harjeev : 22nd August 2012 at 22:09.
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:05   #10863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev
Hi Can you please post the link of the ROM download page. I am going crazy with my latest update of 4.0.4 on the Note

I am currently using the update for the stock rom. So if I do this would I be able to do this normally through ODIN or there's some other process.
Thanks
If you go back a few pages, you'll get the links. Unable to post them here as im operating from my phone.

In short here is how you do it.
- download dr. Ketan's "pre rooted" stock samsung GB rom. Any version will do. I downloaded the Poland version and it worked. Unzip the rom to retrieve the tar.md5 file

- now download paranoid android rom cm9 version. Its 193mb in size. And copy it to your memory card.

- download gappshybrid.zip for the paranoidandroid rom. This gives you all the basic apps like play store, gmail etc.

Copy the file to your memory card.

- also download AbyssNote Kernel and copy it to your memory card.

- backup all your phone data

- set the phone to download or pcODIN mode.

- flash the stock pre rooted GB rom tar.md5 file through pcODIN by ticking only the CSC box and nothing else.

- now reboot your phone in recovery mode - vol up+power+home button.

- select install zip from sd card -> go to where you've stored AbyssNote kernel. install it and reboot the phone.

- check in about phone option in settings menu whether the kernel has been changed to AbyssNote.

- Next get back to recovery mode.

- select install zip from sd card-> install paranoid android.zip

- select install zip from sd card-> install gappshybrid.zip

- delete cache, user settings, dalvik cache and battery stats.

- fix permissions

- now reboot your phone.

Voila Paranoid Android is installed.

***NEVER wipe data/cache etc on the stock ICS rom. Only after AbyssNote kernel is installed, you can wipe the data etc. Failure to adhere to this may brick your phone***

Disclaimer: the above mentioned method is to be carried out at your own risk. I dont bear any responsibility if you brick your phone during the process.

On another note, i soft bricked my phone while reflashing paranoidandroid the 2nd time. Just reflashed GB and repeated the process.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 22nd August 2012 at 23:06.
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:19   #10864
BHPian

I've a couple of points to add there.

1. There's no need to flash abyss kernel after flashing the pre rooted gb Rom. You can go ahead and flash PA and gapps from your sd using cwm recovery.

2. Just in case you switch on the phone after downgrading from ics to gb, you're sure to see FCs. You've to wipe data, cache and dalvik cache. Please note it has to be wiped again after flashing PA and Gapps.
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:47   #10865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor
I've a couple of points to add there.

1. There's no need to flash abyss kernel after flashing the pre rooted gb Rom. You can go ahead and flash PA and gapps from your sd using cwm recovery.

2. Just in case you switch on the phone after downgrading from ics to gb, you're sure to see FCs. You've to wipe data, cache and dalvik cache. Please note it has to be wiped again after flashing PA and Gapps.
Absolutely agree with your points here.
The second time when i flashed PANDROID i didnt flash abysskernel. Just kept flashing to pandroid till the entire process was complete then booted the phone. And i think abysskernel gets deleted once you flash pandroid as in my case earlier.

The stock ICS 4.0.4 rom from Samsung has similar battery consumption but i hate the rest of the package. Much more happy with the customisable roms.
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:12   #10866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
Connection is required for routing even if you have the map data stored on phone. Anyway, it can only store a small amount of data at a time. And GMaps does not have turn by turn navigation, lane guidance, live traffic updates, POI, route recording, speed camera warnings....the list is endless. There is simply no comparison with Sygic. Totally worth it IMO. Comes with free app and map updates for life.
Yes I know that. But do you get live updates, speed camera, etc., in India? I think not? Anyway, can't spend 2k on just a navigation software. At least not right now. Anyway, I only require it infrequently.

Quote:
Get a nokia phone for all your map needs. Its the best and works even without connection. Atleast my N8 does even in desolate places without any wireless tower nearby. Just download the latest maps so as not to get lost
Cheers.
Nokia just for maps? No way! Anyway, I was a rabid Nokia hater till recently. Bad experience with them in the past. That aside, I'd not go for a Nokia even otherwise. Perhaps as a 2nd phone maybe... but even then I'm not sure its worth it. Not a Symbian ph at least.
Old 23rd August 2012, 02:15   #10867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon

Yes I know that. But do you get live updates, speed camera, etc., in India? I think not? Anyway, can't spend 2k on just a navigation software. At least not right now. Anyway, I only require it infrequently.

Nokia just for maps? No way! Anyway, I was a rabid Nokia hater till recently. Bad experience with them in the past. That aside, I'd not go for a Nokia even otherwise. Perhaps as a 2nd phone maybe... but even then I'm not sure its worth it. Not a Symbian ph at least.
Yes, Sygic has live traffic updates available for the major cities. Also speed limit alerts for all the roads.

About Nokia Ovi Maps, I don't think the maps are up to date. My brother has had couple of bad experiences.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:05   #10868
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Anyway, can't spend 2k on just a navigation software. At least not right now. Anyway, I only require it infrequently.
You can give Navifree a try. Its totally free and uses OpenStreetMaps. Maps are updated every 2 months. I used it in last weekend during my trip to Matheran. It was helpful. The maps are not too detailed but still not bad for a totally free App.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QuT1NNLkFMTCJd
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:59   #10869
BHPian

Quote:
^^^No way I'm spending that much right now. Not when G maps can take care of most of my needs. But the problem with the Ray is that the compass does not work with G maps... so I really need another solution.
If you can have the luxury of being online all the time, yes G Maps is the best solution Sometimes I roam around places where there are not even a trace of mobile signal. That's why Sygic was the best solution for me. I had the paid version on my Symbian which I still carry around
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:00   #10870
BHPian

Quote:

BTW, you can try Sygic for free for 14 days. See if you like it. Head to the Play Store.
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:40   #10871
BHPian

Request info:
I rooted my LG optimus one (running on 2.2.2 Froyo) using gingerbreak v1.20. No problems.
Now, can i upgrade this phone to gingerbread?
If so, how do i go about it?
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:28   #10872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^^Didn't know a connx would be required for routing. But its ok for now at least, as I doubt I'm going outta the circle in the immediate future. If I do, I'd of course have to find a solution before leaving.
Why not look at openstreetmap based solutions to be used in conjunction with gmaps. Mapping coverage is increasing day by day, and most aps(zanavi for example) are free
Coverage is excellent in the South, but northern highways still lead a lot to be desired.
Satguide is another alternative though at 1400 INR its a bit expensive.
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:07   #10873
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There are two good apps based on OSM ZANavi and NavFree. I have already used NavFree. We can make it more effective by contributing to OpenStreetMaps. I have contributed a lot to Google Maps (more than 500 additions) but going forward I would concentrate on improving OSM around my area.
Old 24th August 2012, 03:08   #10874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get a nokia phone for all your map needs. Its the best and works even without connection. Atleast my N8 does even in desolate places without any wireless tower nearby. Just download the latest maps so as not to get lost

Cheers.
Btw, how do Nokia maps compare with Sygic and other Android solutions and G maps? I know someone who needs maps and does not care about apps and other things, so a Nokia could work for him.

Quote:
Yes, Sygic has live traffic updates available for the major cities. Also speed limit alerts for all the roads.

About Nokia Ovi Maps, I don't think the maps are up to date. My brother has had couple of bad experiences.
Unless you mind sharing, what kind of bad experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
If you can have the luxury of being online all the time, yes G Maps is the best solution Sometimes I roam around places where there are not even a trace of mobile signal. That's why Sygic was the best solution for me. I had the paid version on my Symbian which I still carry around
Main issue with G maps is that there is no turn by turn navigation for India. Routing has done the job for me till now, but won't be the best option always. And now with the compass not working with G maps on my Ray (known issue), G maps is no longer a good solution for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
You can give Navifree a try. Its totally free and uses OpenStreetMaps. Maps are updated every 2 months. I used it in last weekend during my trip to Matheran. It was helpful. The maps are not too detailed but still not bad for a totally free App.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QuT1NNLkFMTCJd
Thanks a lot. Seems like the next best option. Will try this out very soon, since its free. However, every detail can be important, so I'm concerned when you say its not too detailed.

Quote:
BTW, you can try Sygic for free for 14 days. See if you like it. Head to the Play Store.
Yes, I saw that yesterday. However I need Navigation infrequently. If I install it now, it will likely have expired by the time I really need it next time. Anyway, I see two options - Sygic & Mapmyindia GPS and Sygic GPS Navigation. Which one should I be installing?

Is Sygic significantly better than Navifree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why not look at openstreetmap based solutions to be used in conjunction with gmaps. Mapping coverage is increasing day by day, and most aps(zanavi for example) are free
Coverage is excellent in the South, but northern highways still lead a lot to be desired.
Satguide is another alternative though at 1400 INR its a bit expensive.
Thanks. Guess I'll try Navfree very soon. Seems better than Zanavi. Or do you think otherwise?

Last edited by Raccoon : 24th August 2012 at 03:10.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:42   #10875
BHPian

Quote:

Unless you mind sharing, what kind of bad experience?

Yes, I saw that yesterday. However I need Navigation infrequently. If I install it now, it will likely have expired by the time I really need it next time. Anyway, I see two options - Sygic & Mapmyindia GPS and Sygic GPS Navigation. Which one should I be installing?

Is Sygic significantly better than Navifree?

... ?
Ovi Maps once gave a wrong direction (right turn instead of left in busy Pune) and at another time took him on a road which turned out to be a dead end!

Download the general app so that you can get the trial. You can get maps of the whole world via the general app. And you'd notice that the general app is one or two versions ahead of the MMI app. The India maps in both are same - Map My India. Download just before you undertake a major trip so that you can experience it.

No comparison between Sygic and Navfree. Sygic is a commercial solution. Navfree uses Open Maps, which is crowd sourced. You can imagine how a nascent open source source would be. Even for a large city like Mumbai, it's useless. You don't want to rely on it for something which could be as critical as navigation.

In my opinion, a good navigation app would pay for itself over time from the time saved from asking for directions and taking the wrong turn and the fuel, taking the faster route depending on traffic, avoiding toll roads, etc. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Athani : 24th August 2012 at 08:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks