Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2012, 19:49   #10906
BHPian

Re: Dual GSM with Android ICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I believe the A90 is still not yet out on the retail market (online/stores), however Micromax website is showing the purchase option on its website.
Just got myself a Micromax A100 yesterday. <<<>>>
Will keep this thread updated on the phone performance. Do mention if you need any additional info.
Thanks, I am not keen on A100 (a little bigger for my taste), will look out for A90 in the shops. Will go thru the A90 test results as well.
Old 25th August 2012, 19:51   #10907
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hello, Today I got my Broadband connection changed from Airtel to Reliance. I have a Dlink Router. The problem is that my Laptop is connecting to it absolutely perfectly but my Android phone is not able to connect to it although before the change my phone was connecting to the WiFi perfectly. When I checked the WiFi settings in my phone it is still showing the old IP instead of the new one. Please tell what is the problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 25th August 2012, 20:55   #10908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Hello, Today I got my Broadband connection changed from Airtel to Reliance. I have a Dlink Router. The problem is that my Laptop is connecting to it absolutely perfectly but my Android phone is not able to connect to it although before the change my phone was connecting to the WiFi perfectly. When I checked the WiFi settings in my phone it is still showing the old IP instead of the new one. Please tell what is the problem? Thanks in advance.
Android's by default do not connect to AdHoc wifi connections. Just check if the router is exposing the wifi as an AdHoc connection instead of the regular "infrastructure" mode.
Old 25th August 2012, 21:04   #10909
KRN
BHPian

I have someone coming from the US and thinking of getting the unlocked Galaxy Nexus from the play store for $349. The only thing holding me back is the rumours of multiple Nexus devices being planned by Google for the 5th anniversary of Android in November. On the flip side, I am skeptical if any of the new devices will be close to the price of the GNex

This will be my third android phone in the last 2 years and with phones going out of date pretty fast, I don't want to spend a fortune on a new phone only for it to go outdated in 1 year.

Any advice? Will the GNex hold itself for the next 1 to 2 years? Timely OS updates and a responsive phone are very important to me.
Old 25th August 2012, 21:17   #10910
BHPian

Thanks for commenting. But could you please simply your answer I could not understand your answer.
Old 25th August 2012, 21:28   #10911
Senior - BHPian

I activated 3G plan on my postpaid Vodafone number yesterday and got the SMS just now that its done. However, I'm still not able to see 'H' or '3G' but only 'E'. Is it to do with 3G reception in my area?

When I was in Delhi two weeks back and was using Airtel SIM, 3G worked like a charm. In almost whole of South Delhi and CP, I was always seeing H.

Phone is Motorola Defy Plus and I've kept the network mode as 'Automatic Default'. Problem is that if I keep it on '3G only', I don't get ANY mobile signal at all! It immediately goes into Emergency mode. That sounds like it's a cell tower issue in my area.

Will check in other parts of Mumbai before badgering Vodafone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I have someone coming from the US and thinking of getting the unlocked Galaxy Nexus from the play store for $349. The only thing holding me back is the rumours of multiple Nexus devices being planned by Google for the 5th anniversary of Android in November. On the flip side, I am skeptical if any of the new devices will be close to the price of the GNex

This will be my third android phone in the last 2 years and with phones going out of date pretty fast, I don't want to spend a fortune on a new phone only for it to go outdated in 1 year.

Any advice? Will the GNex hold itself for the next 1 to 2 years? Timely OS updates and a responsive phone are very important to me.
At that price, I feel GNex is the best phone currently. And you should not worry about OS updates as it's a Google phone after all. That also means custom ROMs will be available first and in abundance. After all this phone IS targeted towards the dev community.

I would definitely recommend you to get it.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2012 at 16:28. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 25th August 2012, 23:36   #10912
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am planning to buy Sony Neo L, What say ?

Any other better option ?

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 25th August 2012, 23:43   #10913
BHPian

So now that Apple has won the patent lawsuit, does it mean we Android or Samsung users have to give up our daily bread and butter and move to Apple to enjoy the features we are so familiar with every phone these days?( multi touch, pinch to zoom etc).

Too bad then. If Apple continues to dominate like this, very soon we shall be left with a phone whose screen size gets updated once in a blue moon if at all.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 25th August 2012 at 23:44.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:26   #10914
Senior - BHPian

^^^Don't say such things at bedtime at least. Will get nightmares... full of apples everywhere.

Made li'l less than a dozen contributions to Openstreetmaps. However, there does not seem to be an option to add a place thru the phone? Its difficult to mark all places accurately on the comp without GPS. Guess there must be a way... but don't have the time to get into all the map editing details...
Old 26th August 2012, 01:34   #10915
Senior - BHPian

So this question is purely for DEFY PLUS users having the following specs:
- System version 45.0.2310.MB526.AsiaRetail.en.03
- Android 2.3.6
- Kernel version 2.6.32.9
- Build number 4.5.1.134_DFP-231

How have you rooted your phone?

I tried SuperOneClick 2.3.3 a while back and it wasn't successful. It hung/crashed in the process and I finally disconnected the phone from PC.

XDA has a thread on how to root this above build number. However, that starts from wiping Data/Cache TWICE! So I'll lose all my apps and settings in that step right?

Before committing to that, I want to make sure there is NO OTHER root method possible for Defy Plus.

P.S The OP of the above thread tried the following known rooting methods, but none worked for him! Can you believe?

- (XT800+)ROOT_MOTO_2.3.6
- Defy_2.3.6Root
- DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su
- DROID 3 easy root script v7
- ME525 2.3.6 Root
- ROOT_MOTO_2.3.6
- root4defy134
- SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse
- ZOC_FlashMasterV1.70
- unlockroot23-eng
- Motofail for Droid 4 and Razr
- SuperOneClick with new Exploit motofail hangs on 5th step
Old 26th August 2012, 02:22   #10916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Made li'l less than a dozen contributions to Openstreetmaps. However, there does not seem to be an option to add a place thru the phone? Its difficult to mark all places accurately on the comp without GPS. Guess there must be a way... but don't have the time to get into all the map editing details...
Use the desktop map editor JOSM. You can then load a layer with Bing satellite imagery (overlaid onto the OSM map) which makes it easy to identify and mark places quite accurately.
Old 26th August 2012, 02:35   #10917
Senior - BHPian

^^^Already figured out that much. Thats how I was able to make the few contributions. Without that, I found it next to impossible to place anything accurately. But for that one has to have the exact locations in memory.... and most of the times, its not possible to locate the exact building just from memory. There should be a way to add it thru the phone while at the spot, with GPS running. Without that I don't see it working out.
Old 26th August 2012, 08:12   #10918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post

That phone should get the official updates for 1 more year atleast. Plus new phones will be in the 30+ price range. I have a Spice Mi410, running ice cream sandwich. So custom mod are always are there, especially for your phone. Besides most phone will become outdated when the next gen is out in my opinion getting a phone in the mid range prices is always good.
check this crazy phone that might be out soon.

New Xiaomi Mi-Two handset is first ever with quad-core Krait - GSMArena.com news
Old 26th August 2012, 08:53   #10919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi
So this question is purely for DEFY PLUS users having the following specs:
- System version 45.0.2310.MB526.AsiaRetail.en.03
- Android 2.3.6
- Kernel version 2.6.32.9
- Build number 4.5.1.134_DFP-231

How have you rooted your phone?

I tried SuperOneClick 2.3.3 a while back and it wasn't successful. It hung/crashed in the process and I finally disconnected the phone from PC.

XDA has a thread on how to root this above build number. However, that starts from wiping Data/Cache TWICE! So I'll lose all my apps and settings in that step right?

Before committing to that, I want to make sure there is NO OTHER root method possible for Defy Plus.
Not sure if it help s but I used 'SuperOneClickv2.1.1-ShortFuse'
For rooting my Red lens Defy when it was on official Froyo. I dont think it wiped my data etc. Just rooted it.

Is there any method posted on Defy Superthread? Its a parked thread.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:56   #10920
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Below is the list i would recon.

1. Samsung Galaxy S Advance
2. Sony Xperia Neo L
3. Sony Xperia G

I have S advance in house and the screen and all is pretty awesome.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Sony and htc mobiles, although equipped with a front camera, do not support video calling over 3g. Although video calling on skype and gtalk is supported.
So you people are asking me to suggest Samsung s advance right?

Any other options available ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks