Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 20:25   #17161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
After the upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 Kitkat, battery has gone down by a large margin. Earlier it used to last for atleast 24 hrs with wifi and 3g on. Now it has drop down to 15-18 hrs. On checking battery usage, it gives more usage on voice calls, which is not actually in reality.
Any suggestions/Any app i can use to improve or track the battery usage more efficiently.
Try using gsam battery monitor. I use it. It's pretty good. Or you could try better batt stats.
Old 29th November 2013, 20:58   #17162
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

re screen locking with GPS....

Sygic has an option to have the screen always on. This would drain my battery within a couple of hours, so I keep a charger in the car.

There is also an system option to keep the display always on when charger is connected. Can't tell you where offhand: it is somewhere odd like debug options (CyanogenMod).
Old 30th November 2013, 09:17   #17163
Team-BHP Support

Google moves to support RAW formats and Burst Modes for Android

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576...better-photos/
Old 30th November 2013, 18:34   #17164
BANNED

Will what put Nikon out of business?

On a lighter tone, any bets on which thread will be merged with this, the Dslr one or EVIL one?
Old 1st December 2013, 11:16   #17165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Will what put Nikon out of business?

On a lighter tone, any bets on which thread will be merged with this, the Dslr one or EVIL one?
The point-and-shoot and semi-pro camera industry is already going out of business (IIRC Nikon themselves admitted to the fact), courtesy of the advanced sharing features as well as HDMI out features on smartphones coupled with class leading features making way into phones every generation.

Last edited by JustCause : 1st December 2013 at 11:17.
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:52   #17166
BHPian

Any idea when Nexus 5 32gb black version will be available on play store? Any other online portal where it is available? Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:04   #17167
Senior - BHPian

I've decided to buy the Moto G from the US - a friend's sis is coming here on a trip and has said ok to bring it.

Now, I am a little confused. I was about to place the order on Amazon - but it says that it is the US GSM phone. When I check on the Motorola site, it gives the 2 options:

Global GSM model: Optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when roaming outside the US.

US GSM model: Optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when operating inside the US. 3G coverage may be limited when roaming outside the US.

Both models are compatible with all GSM-based cellular networks. GSM-compatible micro SIM card is not included.

So it means I will have to place the order for the Global GSM right. It only confused me more by the last line in bold which says both models are compatible with all GSM based cell networks. Does that mean I can even buy the US GSM model and it will work fine here?
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:30   #17168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I've decided to buy the Moto G from the US - a friend's sis is coming here on a trip and has said ok to bring it.

Now, I am a little confused. I was about to place the order on Amazon - but it says that it is the US GSM phone. When I check on the Motorola site, it gives the 2 options:

Global GSM model: Optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when roaming outside the US.

US GSM model: Optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when operating inside the US. 3G coverage may be limited when roaming outside the US.

Both models are compatible with all GSM-based cellular networks. GSM-compatible micro SIM card is not included.

So it means I will have to place the order for the Global GSM right. It only confused me more by the last line in bold which says both models are compatible with all GSM based cell networks. Does that mean I can even buy the US GSM model and it will work fine here?
I was also equally confused on which to order. My cousin then asked (Motorola Customer care I think) and they advised him to order Global GSM model as the device is going to be used outside US. He has or will be ordering 16GB Global GSM Model.

I shall be getting my Moto G around 25th Dec.

Fingers Crossed. Wait & Watch,

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 2nd December 2013 at 12:34.
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:30   #17169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
compatible with all GSM based cell networks. Does that mean I can even buy the US GSM model and it will work fine here?
Will defenitly work on GSM since its quad band.

However, might not support some HSPA+ frequencies (3G) in India.
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:41   #17170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I was also equally confused on which to order. My cousin then asked (Motorola Customer care I think) and they advised him to order Global GSM model as the device is going to be used outside US. He has or will be ordering 16GB Global GSM Model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Thanks for the updates! I will go the safe way and purchase the 16 GB Global GSM model. But looks like I will have to go 2 day shipping or it won't make it. Amazon has put up a notice saying that they will not start deliveries until 11th
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:30   #17171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Yes and I just tried speaking to Airtel customer care and they aren't sure if the US GSM phone will work.

Was planning to place an order for the US GSM phone since it will start shipping on 4th itself :(
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:36   #17172
BHPian

Quote:

Yes and I just tried speaking to Airtel customer care and they aren't sure if the US GSM phone will work.

Was planning to place an order for the US GSM phone since it will start shipping on 4th itself :(
Hello

There is a good article on the Internet in the lte. The nexus 5 is offered in two models d820 for USA and d821 for row. As long as you don't plan to use lte you are fine buying USA phones but for lte you will have to buy row specific phones. Indian carriers use a different band for lte.
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:46   #17173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Hello

There is a good article on the Internet in the lte. The nexus 5 is offered in two models d820 for USA and d821 for row. As long as you don't plan to use lte you are fine buying USA phones but for lte you will have to buy row specific phones. Indian carriers use a different band for lte.
Yeah have been reading up a bit and will take the plunge - purchase the US GMS mobile itself.
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:56   #17174
BHPian

Quote:

Yeah have been reading up a bit and will take the plunge - purchase the US GMS mobile itself.
Getting the US model won't support a few 3g networks in India. Why not get the India version? You get a warranty as well. LG doesn't replace us bought models here. A friend bought a Nexus 4 in the US and they refused to replace it when the touchscreen went kaput for free. She had to ship it back to the US and get a replacement.

Below are the differences in the two bands

North America (D820) model:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Rest of World (D821) model:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8
LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20

Last edited by djpeesh : 2nd December 2013 at 19:58.
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:26   #17175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Getting the US model won't support a few 3g networks in India. Why not get the India version? You get a warranty as well. LG doesn't replace us bought models here. A friend bought a Nexus 4 in the US and they refused to replace it when the touchscreen went kaput for free. She had to ship it back to the US and get a replacement.
Well, am not sure when it is going to come to India. Even when it does, am certain it will be costlier than the 12,500 that I am paying for it in the US. And also, the Moto G doesn't support LTE - which I am fine with. But aren't the other bands all supported? I see that from the specs anyway?

Most Viewed