Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 20:09   #17191
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I did it finally. I have a Samsung S3. I rooted it and am running Cyanogenmod 10.2. Was eagerly awaiting the CM10.2 stable release. It's based on 4.3.1. Would have grown old if I had to wait for the official updates.I am extremely pleased with the results!
I am 'not' a power user. Just normal average usage. In stock form, I had noticed it had started lagging a little. It wasn't unbearable honestly. A little lag here and there.I could live with it. Few pages back on the thread there was some major S3 bashing going on.That's what started the itch to change or get a custom rom. I started using Aviate, that speeded things up a bit.
I am thrilled to get rid of touchwiz. The phone feels much faster now. It's like a new phone all over again. It takes a couple of seconds to go from lock screen to camera. No lag at all. There is a decent bit of RAM free at all times.
I'm just going to get a sd card and sit tight. Really happy with the phone now. Going to wait for CM to come out with a stable 11(the Kitkat one) and get that.
I have been using my phone non stop for games and stuff, I can't say anything about the battery life as yet though. Fingers crossed. Hope it is as good/bad as it was earlier.
Old 6th December 2013, 20:18   #17192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I did it finally. I have a Samsung S3. I rooted it and am running Cyanogenmod 10.2. Was eagerly awaiting the CM10.2 stable release. It's based on 4.3.1. Would have grown old if I had to wait for the official updates.I am extremely pleased with the results!
Great stuff! Nothing like rooting and installing your first custom ROM. Though I've never used an Android Samsung device, I am sure that the CM10 will do a great job. But beware, this custom ROM thingie can get addictive. You might end up flashing quite a few of them once you get the hang of it!
Old 6th December 2013, 20:33   #17193
BHPian

Any galaxy Note version 1 users still there? Im using Cyanogen Mod 10.1.3. But my phone keeps crashing atleast 5 to 6 times a day. I recently got a 16gig memory card thinking it should solve the issue of crashing apps - temporarily for first two days not a single crash. After that its back to square one.

Can someone please tell me what the problem could be, or suggest any good roms that are less battery and memory intensive and more importantly stable? What is it with these custom roms - keep crashing all the times - especially with jellybean roms.
Old 6th December 2013, 23:51   #17194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Any galaxy Note version 1 users still there? Im using Cyanogen Mod 10.1.3. But my phone keeps crashing atleast 5 to 6 times a day. I recently got a 16gig memory card thinking it should solve the issue of crashing apps - temporarily for first two days not a single crash. After that its back to square one.

Can someone please tell me what the problem could be, or suggest any good roms that are less battery and memory intensive and more importantly stable? What is it with these custom roms - keep crashing all the times - especially with jellybean roms.
Well I've used them all and given up. I can safely say not one custom Rom can be a reliable daily driver. So I'm running stock rooted jb now with resource hogging apps hibernated with Greenify. It's not fast but it's reliable, battery is decent and everything works without crashing albeit slow.

EDIT: The only Rom I used for a long time was PA 1.6 based on CM9. Even that had random reboots once in a while

Last edited by Added_flavor : 6th December 2013 at 23:55.
Old 7th December 2013, 00:36   #17195
Team-BHP Support

Go for the notecore kernel. It is very stable and does not crash. good battery life too!
Old 7th December 2013, 01:06   #17196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
hogging apps hibernated with Greenify. It's not fast but it's reliable, battery is decent and everything works without crashing albeit slow.

EDIT: The only Rom I used for a long time was PA 1.6 based on CM9. Even that had random reboots once in a while
Yes I had used the PA 1.6 rom as well. I think you had recommended it earlier. Greenify was a good app on my stock os.
Even i feel the stock touchwiz interface is giving far better stability. I do hope I get to use kitkat in some form or the other.

Why do these custom roms crash? Why are they unreliable? I meam so many intelligent people are doing the programming and dedicating their time and effort to it. Do companies make their phones like that to give problems with custom ROMs? Im just saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Go for the notecore kernel. It is very stable and does not crash. good battery life too!
Thanks tsk. Will search for this and try to flash. If I flash the kernel, my OS will stay the same as it is right?
Old 7th December 2013, 02:03   #17197
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm just a sample of one, of course, but my custom ROM (Cyanogenmod on Defy+) does not crash and is, in many ways, better and more stable than Motorola's stuff.
Old 7th December 2013, 02:56   #17198
BHPian

I have a motorola razr xt910 running CynogenMod 10.2 (Android 4.3.1). It has been very stable and snappy compared to the stock. With the stock ROM the phone had become literally unusable because of the lag. Things became better once i rooted and installed greenify. And then i took the leap and installed and CM, I am happy now.
Old 7th December 2013, 10:35   #17199
Distinguished - BHPian

When I receive calls on nexus 4, I find the name and number font size of the incoming call to be very small compared to how I see it in Samsung or other brand high end phones . Is there any app which can increase this font size on the imcoming call screen ?
Old 8th December 2013, 16:56   #17200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
When I receive calls on nexus 4, I find the name and number font size of the incoming call to be very small compared to how I see it in Samsung or other brand high end phones . Is there any app which can increase this font size on the imcoming call screen ?
Have you tried changing font size to Huge? Settings • Display • Font Size.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:12   #17201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Have you tried changing font size to Huge? Settings • Display • Font Size.
Yes, font size is kept at maximum. But even this is not adequate. Problem is my dad wears reading glasses. So its difficult for him to comprehend the caller name or number without glasses

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 8th December 2013 at 19:14.
Old 9th December 2013, 09:46   #17202
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I have seen several scanner apps in the Play Store like Handy Scanner etc. What exactly do these apps do? i.e. why do I need an app to scan something - how is it different from taking a photo on the camera other than possibly an option to convert it into a pdf instead of a jpeg. Is there anything extra the scanner apps do?
Old 9th December 2013, 11:22   #17203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Any galaxy Note version 1 users still there?
I have a Note 1 and currently using CM 10.2 Nightlies (with RAW Kernel), have no issue with apps crashing. However, do face random freezes once a while.

Try Codenamelungo 10.1 version (http://codenamelungo.net/), it was one of the most stable and fast ROM's I had used before moving to 10.2.

Cheers!!!
Old 9th December 2013, 12:26   #17204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is there anything extra the scanner apps do?
Converting into pdf is convinient if you have a multipage document.
There are some which auto detect page alignment/rotation and crop+rotate the image automatically.
Another good feature I found in the one I use (CamScanner) is if you find a picture blurred, or the order of images incorrect etc, you can edit the document and remove/move/insert the images and generate the pdf again.
I am not sure if some do (Optical character recognition) OCR but there might be some I guess.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:31   #17205
BHPian

Getting a Samsung galaxy S duos 2 today. Any recommendations of apps to install?

Ramki

Most Viewed