Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 01:30   #17761
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Same here, I have shifted to Qi charger.
Be careful with the wireless chargers. They are known to heat up the phones - which is in general bad for the handset and more particularly for the battery inside.
Old 26th February 2014, 02:21   #17762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yup and that makes it very interesting. I can't wait to see xda start off hacking these devices. Will be nice to play on a different version of Android. Interesting times ahead!
hopefully XDA hacks it and puts a stock kitkat ROM on there. Would be nice to see google software on a Nokia. I think Nokia should have made both Windows and Android phones. Imagine that top of the line Lumia on Android..would have been sweet!
Old 26th February 2014, 09:51   #17763
Senior - BHPian

Got this update today morning on my Moto G. Mine is a Single Sim Global GSM variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393388425707.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393388457561.jpg  

Old 26th February 2014, 10:01   #17764
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
it's not real Android though; its a forked version like the Amazon Kindle Fire. It just connects to Microsoft and Nokia services. They are avoiding google completely.
What they are doing is using an open version of Android (no royalties, and licensing) and linking in the Microsoft version of the playstore etc. This is the start of the switch.

Also, Elop is likely to return to MS
Old 26th February 2014, 10:47   #17765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Mine is a Single Sim Global GSM variant.
Hi, I too have bought the 16 GB version from US for my BIL. Also, managed to get the Indian 16 GB version from Flipkart for my wife couple of days ago.

In both the packages, there is a difference with the accessories. The US version (Global) does not come with the head phones whereas the Indian version does. This is not an issue for me.

But, what worries me is that the US version comes only with the USB cable and no charging head i.e. you cannot plug into the wall socket to charge. For the Indian version, there is a charging head but, the connectors are rectangle. This is typical for all electronic products bought in US / Canada. Along with this, they have given a connector which, enables one to use it in Indian socket (round). So, my query is, what charging head should be bought for US version phone? (power rating)

Cheers
Old 26th February 2014, 18:28   #17766
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried OTG for Samsung Note 2(4.3) , Galaxy S2(4.1.2) and Moto G(4.4). It works nicely. Only thing is that after removing it from Moto G, the icon doesn't go. I had ordered a 16GB Sandisk hybrid drive from Flipkart.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 26th February 2014 at 18:30.
Old 26th February 2014, 18:42   #17767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
So, my query is, what charging head should be bought for US version phone? (power rating)

Cheers
You can safely use any of the chargers available for mobiles/ tablets. They will all accept 220V input and provide ~5V output with current capacity between 500mA to 2A.
The Samsung Note series, for instance comes with chargers which have 2A and can be used to charge the power hungry tablets.
You can use one of those if you have them around.
I use a Blackberry Playbook charger for my older Moto Defy (around 850 mA current output). Unfortunately my Defy does not work with 2A output chargers from Samsung.
Now, did I confuse you?
Old 26th February 2014, 23:06   #17768
BHPian

Moto g users. Need some help in the following areas:

1)How's the phone's performance with lots of apps installed/running(50+)
2)How's the music quality with some decent pair of headphones?

Is the 1gb ram a problem in the long run?
Old 26th February 2014, 23:37   #17769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Moto g users. Need some help in the following areas:

1)How's the phone's performance with lots of apps installed/running(50+)
2)How's the music quality with some decent pair of headphones?

Is the 1gb ram a problem in the long run?
The phone is pretty good even with that many apps. Attaching the screen shot of my apps list. Not as many but yet never faced lag issues.
The music quality is decent.

Also for all those who like to share a lot between their devices or with friends, came across this amazing app by Lenovo. Works fantastic and was able to transfer stuff surprisingly fast.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393437902704.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393437916675.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393437930396.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393437933861.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393438013696.jpg  

Old 27th February 2014, 00:09   #17770
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this has been discussed earlier but wanted an opinion on Panasonic T31 which seems to be a good buy with large screen etc.

Any review comments from any member who owns one already would be great.
Old 27th February 2014, 10:05   #17771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
You can safely use any of the chargers available for mobiles/ tablets. They will all accept 220V input and provide ~5V output with current capacity between 500mA to 2A.
The Samsung Note series, for instance comes with chargers which have 2A and can be used to charge the power hungry tablets.
You can use one of those if you have them around.
I use a Blackberry Playbook charger for my older Moto Defy (around 850 mA current output). Unfortunately my Defy does not work with 2A output chargers from Samsung.
Now, did I confuse you?
Me Confused, no no

Well, what you mention is right but, my issue is that every mobile battery has a certain amp rating for current, so in my opinion the closet match to the rated amp will always be preferred. Voltage I suppose is not an issue.

For ex: Dad has an S2 and I have an S3. If I swap the two chargers of the respective phones, the charging time varies a lot in comparison to charging with the original. In fact using the S2 charger on the S3 made the S3 back heat up quite a lot.

I read somewhere on this thread or else where on Team Bhp how not to swap chargers and how it may adversely effect the battery life.

So, I am now back to square one on the subject 'Kaun sa charger.'
Old 27th February 2014, 11:20   #17772
BHPian

Guys who are stuck with no Wi-Fi direct app or Superbeam can now check out the Shareit app on play store by Lenovo. Its a free app and works perfect. Easy to use interface and amazing speeds. Check it out! (:
Old 27th February 2014, 12:36   #17773
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I am in Dilemma.
Need to upgrade my ageing Samsung Galaxy S Advance. My budget is about 30k.

Samsung Galaxy S4 is now available for some 30k on Flipkart and Nexus 5 is also in same range (slightly costlier). However where S4 scores over Nexus5 is removable battery and expandable memory.

My heart is all set on S4, but my mind says Nexus 5 - due to quicker updates and being vanilla Android. But the larget screen and plethora of features on S4 has won over my heart.

To add to the confusion - there are reports of Moto X coming to India soon. I understand its a 4.7 inch phone and specs are at par with S5, and is expected to cost about 8-9k less than S4 and Nexus 5. But then it doesn't have that feature list or 5 inch beautiful HD screen of S4. :(

What do do ?

Last edited by DCEite : 27th February 2014 at 12:38.
Old 27th February 2014, 12:55   #17774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Folks,

I am in Dilemma.
Need to upgrade my ageing Samsung Galaxy S Advance. My budget is about 30k.

Samsung Galaxy S4 is now available for some 30k on Flipkart and Nexus 5 is also in same range (slightly costlier). However where S4 scores over Nexus5 is removable battery and expandable memory.

My heart is all set on S4, but my mind says Nexus 5 - due to quicker updates and being vanilla Android. But the larget screen and plethora of features on S4 has won over my heart.

To add to the confusion - there are reports of Moto X coming to India soon. I understand its a 4.7 inch phone and specs are at par with S5, and is expected to cost about 8-9k less than S4 and Nexus 5. But then it doesn't have that feature list or 5 inch beautiful HD screen of S4. :(

What do do ?

I would say put your money on Nexus 5. It has its limitations for sure, but Vanilla OS is

I moved from S Advance to Moto G. And the experience of using a no layer OS is just amazing. You can get Nexus 5 32GB for around INR 30-32k. Not sure of current prices. I am no expert, but from what i hear, S4 isnt doing SO well and has a few issues too regarding display & heating. I need to dig up that site where i read it.

Did a little reading on GSMARENA :

S4 :
Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)

N5 :
True HD IPS+ capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
1080 x 1920 pixels, 4.95 inches (~445 ppi pixel density)

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 27th February 2014 at 12:59.
Old 27th February 2014, 13:55   #17775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I moved from S Advance to Moto G. And the experience of using a no layer OS is just amazing. You can get Nexus 5 32GB for around INR 30-32k. Not sure of current prices. I am no expert, but from what i hear, S4 isnt doing SO well and has a few issues too regarding display & heating. I need to dig up that site where i read it.
Thanks for your response, Harshal.

The problem with Nexus 5 32 GB is 1) Its 34k and slightly out of my budget, 2) it hasn't got expandable memory and removable battery and 3) Most importantly - Nexus 5 camera is below par when compared to competetion and certainly noway near Galaxy S4 camera.

I can undertand Vanilla OS being super quick - but then i am not a gamer or do a lot of CPU intensive work on the Mobile - so i guess S4 should be more than sufficient even with the OS layer. What with KitKat already starting to roll out for S4, it makes even more strong case for itself.

But yes, if i was looking to buy in range of 15-20k, i would have gone for Moto G with eyes closed. Simply the best phone in that range - period. But in 30k range, i still feel S4 has an edge over competetion, all things considered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks