Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 13:12   #19486
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Confused between the Redmi 1S and the Moto E, as a gift for mother. She clicks a lot of photos of food and so I was wondering if the Moto E is upto this task given the lack of auto-focus.

The Redmi1S on the other hand has a nice 8MP camera, but I see a lot of 1star reviews on Flipkart accusing it of overheating and crashing every so often.

Can someone suggest a phone out of these two (or other android phones) that would be suitable for someone who's never used a smartphone before and with a good camera?
As per my sister, Redmi camera is better than phones 2x its price. Check if the heating issues happen on heavy usage / heavy 3G or in general. My jeejaji has Redmi and has no such issues. He is simply thrilled with the value! They are buying two more soon for their father and mother to take pictures of their daughter only!
Old 20th October 2014, 15:20   #19487
BHPian

^ Thank you.

I just saw Huawei's phone "Honor Holly" for 6,999/-Rs. How does that compare to the Redmi and Moto E? Anyone here have one?
Old 21st October 2014, 10:22   #19488
Distinguished - BHPian

Follow on post. Earlier I had posted that I received a bricked Redmi 1s from Flipkart. Was contemplating flashing it. But decided to ask for replacement. One email, followed by phone call from them and phone was replaced within 48 hours. Like.
Old 21st October 2014, 11:19   #19489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^ Thank you.

I just saw Huawei's phone "Honor Holly" for 6,999/-Rs. How does that compare to the Redmi and Moto E? Anyone here have one?
Please note that it has a mediatek processor. Other than that I don't see any other issues
Old 21st October 2014, 13:29   #19490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Confused between the Redmi 1S and the Moto E, as a gift for mother. She clicks a lot of photos of food and so I was wondering if the Moto E is upto this task given the lack of auto-focus.

The Redmi1S on the other hand has a nice 8MP camera, but I see a lot of 1star reviews on Flipkart accusing it of overheating and crashing every so often.

Can someone suggest a phone out of these two (or other android phones) that would be suitable for someone who's never used a smartphone before and with a good camera?
Moto E is out if camera is a priority. No auto-focus, no flash. Puts out decent images only in broad daylight.
Old 21st October 2014, 15:58   #19491
BHPian

I just bought a Redmi 1S on Flipkart during today's flash sale! Thanks guys, I'll let you know the experience after a few weeks.
Old 21st October 2014, 16:33   #19492
Senior - BHPian

Battery Doctor' few recent updates are very disappointing.

Not only the earlier screen saver has changed but now, the little round battery percent notification is changed too. Hate the new battery notification icon.

Poor stuff.
Old 21st October 2014, 21:51   #19493
BHPian

I have ~ 800 contacts with many having full addresses, notes, etc. These reside in MS Outlook (full version) on my PC and are updated periodically. It is important to me that my phone have sync software to sync contacts and calendar between Outlook and the phone.

My previous phone, the Nokia E71 (Symbian) did this with ease. As does my current phone, Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos (Android 4.2.2).

I will be replacing my phone at some point, so was checking options.

It appears only Samsung, Motorola, HTC and LG have sync software downloads available in the support sections of their websites and where they explicitly state such sync is possible.

Nobody else does. Not Asus, Lenovo (they released a high-end dual sim phone that's quite attractive), Sony, Gionee, Huawei, Oppo, Panasonic, Xiomi. Weirdly, some of these are in the PC industry and have surely heard of MS Outlook. I wrote to several of them, and got crappy form letter responses :(

What am I not seeing? How can some very large and prestigious manufacturers not cater to the professional / business market?

Last edited by TheTeacher : 21st October 2014 at 21:52.
Old 22nd October 2014, 06:14   #19494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
It appears only Samsung, Motorola, HTC and LG have sync software downloads available in the support sections of their websites and where they explicitly state such sync is possible.

Nobody else does. Not Asus, Lenovo (they released a high-end dual sim phone that's quite attractive), Sony, Gionee, Huawei, Oppo, Panasonic, Xiomi. Weirdly, some of these are in the PC industry and have surely heard of MS Outlook. I wrote to several of them, and got crappy form letter responses :(

What am I not seeing? How can some very large and prestigious manufacturers not cater to the professional / business market?
Sync it with your Google account. Take a CSV export from MS Outlook and upload it into your GMail account. Once thats done, it will sync automatically with any android phone irrespective of the manufacturer.
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:07   #19495
Senior - BHPian

Folks, one question - has anyone bought the Asus Fonepad 7 - 7500 on flipkart! Sister wants it for her daughter. We're thinking of buying a nice microSD card for all the kiddy videos.

How is it to use? Esp how painful is it to move apps to SD card etc? She won't do any rooting or modding at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I have ~ 800 contacts with many having full addresses, notes, etc. These reside in MS Outlook (full version) on my PC and are updated periodically. It is important to me that my phone have sync software to sync contacts and calendar between Outlook and the phone.

My previous phone, the Nokia E71 (Symbian) did this with ease. As does my current phone, Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos (Android 4.2.2).

I will be replacing my phone at some point, so was checking options.

Sir,

like SB said, CSV export is the way. Last i tried it, in 2011 - it took me less time than you took to type your other post

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd October 2014 at 10:10.
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:21   #19496
Senior - BHPian

Installed the latest Developer Build of Lollipop on my Nexus 4 and loving it! I'm going to keep the RedMi aside until it gets Lollipop!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20141022091539.png
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:45   #19497
BHPian

Anyone using the MotoG with both the sim cards? Is there any lag and any performance issues?

Thanks!
Rohan
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:56   #19498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Anyone using the MotoG with both the sim cards? Is there any lag and any performance issues?

Thanks!
Rohan
I have my MotoG using two Sim cards. No issues or lags at all, and certainly no noticeable drop in battery life either.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, I'm planning to move all my music collection (most of them are 320kbps) into the cloud and accessible by all my Internet enabled devices at a lower bitrate (say 128kbps) - sort of like Youtube that will deliver a bitrate according to your connection on the fly.

This is to save on 3G bandwidth while still having access to all my music on the go.

Is there any such thing out there?
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:02   #19499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post

Thanks!
Rohan
I do, one with Airtel for voice and SMS and one with BSNL for 3G. Though there is no lag, the battery is strained and it does not last the whole 24 hours for me. I guess, the average battery life is around 16-18 hours.
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:02   #19500
mxx
BHPian

anyone here using Asus zenphone6? any specific drawbacks you felt using it? what is the SAR values mentioned in the device (because the different sites have mentioned different values for the same)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks