Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 16:12   #22621
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
On my mom's phone, we are getting a message on the notification drop down menu that System is running low on storage space and some apps / functions may not work properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Yes factory reset will help as it will delete all the apps and data. Try deleting apps that are hardly used.
I dont think a factory reset will help, since I am also facing the same issue, and I performed a factory reset, but the problem is very much there.

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2016 at 19:12. Reason: Reduced quoted content
Old 6th January 2016, 16:24   #22622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
I dont think a factory reset will help, since I am also facing the same issue, and I performed a factory reset, but the problem is very much there.
Well a factory reset will delete everything from phone and it will be as good as stock. So eventually it should not have memory until you again install a lot of apps etc.
Old 6th January 2016, 17:42   #22623
Senior - BHPian

I currently use a Xperia Z3. I saw the Huawei Honor 7 yesterday and liked the UI graphics. looks mostly like that of an iPhone which I like. is there a way to make that work on the Xperia? Flash ROM maybe?
please suggest.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:43   #22624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I thought I might as well do [Marshmallow upgrade] straight away, but just have not been able to. I'm hoping that it is my wifi (there is an Airtel Broadband problem at the moment) and not the phone, but time to download that is looking like... infinite.
Got that finally downloaded and installed today. If there is anything great about having the latest version of Android, not sure what it is but I guess there are some good details.

On the advice of several online articles, I am keeping the SD card for media, rather than choosing the part-of-internal-memory option. With 32Gb internal, there feels like plenty of room for apps.

Really... waiting until I have had the Moto X Play long enough to risk rooting it. Of course, that's going to be a bit longer than one full day . Anyway, next thing is to try just changing the launcher.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th January 2016 at 21:54.
Old 6th January 2016, 23:55   #22625
Distinguished - BHPian

<Later...>

Beware this damned Marshmallow! At least, on this Moto X Play. Wish I had never done it.

Why? Well, you know how easy it is to plug in a USB lead and see the contents of your SD card, transfer files, etc? Oh No!

First, they try to put you off doing just that (Why?) by making the default USB mode charge only, but the worst thing is, you can change that horrible thing called MTP (thanks microsoft) and see the internal memory on your PC, but the SD card looks empty.

Some people seem to be able to find the contents by cycling the USB connection type in Notifications or in [Settings] Developer options. I can't: its always empty.

It's one reason I chose this phone, the expandable storage. And it is not that easy, on this phone, to whip out the card and stick it in a card reader, which is the only way I can see to access it off the phone itself.

Google has become like Microsoft: pretend stuff is easy but make it impossible.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th January 2016 at 23:58.
Old 7th January 2016, 00:11   #22626
BHPian

Quote:
<Later...>

Beware this damned Marshmallow! At least, on this Moto X Play. Wish I had never done it.

Why? Well, you know how easy it is to plug in a USB lead and see the contents of your SD card, transfer files, etc? Oh No!

First, they try to put you off doing just that (Why?) by making the default USB mode charge only, but the worst thing is, you can change that horrible thing called MTP (thanks microsoft) and see the internal memory on your PC, but the SD card looks empty.

Some people seem to be able to find the contents by cycling the USB connection type in Notifications or in [Settings] Developer options. I can't: its always empty.

It's one reason I chose this phone, the expandable storage. And it is not that easy, on this phone, to whip out the card and stick it in a card reader, which is the only way I can see to access it off the phone itself.

Google has become like Microsoft: pretend stuff is easy but make it impossible.
Oh, the common Android problem! Actually, the common smartphone problem! That's the thing with USB connectivity. It varies from person to person, phone to phone, PC to PC, OS to OS and even USB cable to USB cable! Some people have problems in USB after they update Android, some have after they update Windows on their PC, some have driver problems, for some it works with only the supplied cable, for some it works with anything but the supplied cable. I would refrain from commenting on it at all at the moment, as I have not personally used Marshmallow on any of my devices.
One thing to mention though, Sony devices do have a Mass Storage mode where only your SD card is visible after connecting via USB. Maybe your phone has that option too.
You may also wanna check out if there is any app on the Play Store for the same.
Old 7th January 2016, 00:51   #22627
Distinguished - BHPian

<Later still...>

Wires? Who needs 'em! ftp to the rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Oh, the common Android problem! Actually, the common smartphone problem! That's the thing with USB connectivity. It varies from person to person, phone to phone, PC to PC, OS to OS and even USB cable to USB cable! Some people have problems in USB after they update Android, some have after they update Windows on their PC, some have driver problems, for some it works with only the supplied cable, for some it works with anything but the supplied cable. I would refrain from commenting on it at all at the moment, as I have not personally used Marshmallow on any of my devices.
I never had any problems at all until this mtp thing arrived, but then, I don't use WIndows.

Actually, I'd forgotten that this is why I used ftp on the 4mi, because there was actually a problem with Ubuntu, first with it not having the mtp file-system device drivers, and then, for me, although the command line stuff worked, the GUI file manager could only manage one file at a time. But, at least it could see stuff!

Then I thought ftp, maybe, needed root. No, it doesn't.

ftp is ancient. ftp still works! Hurrah for ftp! The old ways are the best

Is it an obscure CLI thing? well, it can be, but Filezilla makes using it as easy as any other file explorer.

Quote:
One thing to mention though, Sony devices do have a Mass Storage mode where only your SD card is visible after connecting via USB. Maybe your phone has that option too.
You may also wanna check out if there is any app on the Play Store for the same.
Good For Sony. I wish others had kept the mass storage option.

I have all sorts of options, from midi to ethernet, but not Mass Storage.

But, I have ftp, and I'm happy again!
Old 7th January 2016, 06:57   #22628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But, I have ftp, and I'm happy again!
USB connection works for data. I use it all the time on my Play. I use "Android File Transfer" on the MAC. Never seen any issues. If its one or two files, I use Air Droid. Works like a charm on the home WiFi.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:05   #22629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I currently use a Xperia Z3. I saw the Huawei Honor 7 yesterday and liked the UI graphics. looks mostly like that of an iPhone which I like. is there a way to make that work on the Xperia? Flash ROM maybe?
please suggest.
Try MIUI rom. http://en.miui.com/download-278.html
Old 7th January 2016, 11:11   #22630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
please suggest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
That is MIUI 5 and it's old, ugly and devoid of features. Here is a latest MIUI 7 ROM (link) for the Xperia Z3. MIUI 7 has many more features and an improved (read more iOS-like) design than the older versions.
However, do note that it is based only on KitKat and not Lollipop. Also, you will first have to flash the official KitKat firmware before flashing that ROM if you are on Lollipop.

Also, well... By any chance, if you may also like the Nexus 6P or 5X as well, there is a totally awesome stable AOSP Marshmallow ROM exactly like the Nexus for the Z3 (link). I mentioned it because I have envied that ROM myself since it has come live. And either way, if you don't like it, it maybe useful for someone else around here.
Old 7th January 2016, 11:43   #22631
BHPian

What are the cons in buying Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 from sites like gearbest? Since i dont see it coming to India anytime soon, this seems to be the only option.
Gearbest videos of the device seem to show the tab with chinese characters. Hope they can be changed to English? also google play store can be installed later after importing it?

Last edited by WindRide : 7th January 2016 at 11:45.
Old 7th January 2016, 13:10   #22632
Distinguished - BHPian

Moto Play X, Marshmallow, USB misadventures etc, ongoing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
USB connection works for data. I use it all the time on my Play. I use "Android File Transfer" on the MAC. Never seen any issues. If its one or two files, I use Air Droid. Works like a charm on the home WiFi.
Well, that's curious. Maybe this is an OS-specific thing or even a machine-specific thing. It isn't that the whole MTP thing fails, though: I can see the internal memory, I can see that the card is there, but the card appears empty.

Anyway, all of this MPT/PTP/google-messing-with-SD-card access, notwithstanding feeble excuses about security, is all a pain in the neck.

Another pain in the neck is the ever-present Google-search bar. OK, I get the point: Google is not beneficent: they have their financial motives for Android, and people using Google is probably the top one. But at least it is not all locked down and secret like some other OSs: We can minimise Google if we take risks and do a certain amount of work.

I'm not fanatic about this: Google is still my default search engine. It's just that I don't want it to be staring me in the face all the time. I also feel a bit odd about talking to a phone (even though that is what they are for!), but, on a brief demo to wife, "ignite garage." took me straight there. Maybe I'll grow into this stuff .

Here's another small detail I don't like: the way the drop-down toggle thing works. Where, for instance, is the toggle for mobile network: I can turn wifi on and off, but not mobile data. There is no simple ring/silent/vibrate toggle, either: it is necessary to press the volume button, where reducing ring volume to zero turns on vibrate. Very silly change!

Keyboards: I paid for Swype. The m4i came with Swiftey, and I preferred it. The google keyboard is perfectly usuable as a single-finger swype-type keyboard, but my preference remains Swiftey. They hope you will buy themes and stuff, but what the free version comes with is absolutely sufficient.

Also, at first sight, the toggle screen is not configurable at all. At second sight, it is. When you can see the toggles, long press on the cog icon. It adds "tweak-UI" to the settings menu, which allows removing things from the toggle drop down and the status bar.

Well, I liked my m4i, but I didn't think much of MIUI, either, especially its lack of an app drawer: that was fixed with an app-draw app and Apex launcher. I have to build up my courage and confidence before rooting, but I guess it is safe to change the launcher any time.

Now, lest you think I am all quibbles about this new phone, there's plenty of good stuff too. The call quality is fine. Being a little deaf, that is always a worry with a new phone.. I can hear my wife's voice loud and clear! The speaker quality is crud. I can live with that: it's a phone, not a hifi, and I am never going to use that speaker except sometimes for calls. I guess the 5-inch m4i paved the way after the now-seems-tiny Defy+, but still, 5.5-inch phones used to seem enormous to me, and this one doesn't. They have fitted the screen size into an excellent physical framework. I guess it weighs more than the m4i too, but even that is not really noticeable either in hand or pocket.
Old 7th January 2016, 14:30   #22633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
That is MIUI 5 and it's old, ugly and devoid of features. Here is a latest MIUI 7 ROM (link) for the Xperia Z3.
thank you guys. much appreciated. will try to do this on a weekend after I've got myself another phone. I am planning to buy a S7 Edge when it comes out. Z3 will become 2nd phone and perfect for experimenting.
Old 7th January 2016, 15:13   #22634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where, for instance, is the toggle for mobile network: I can turn wifi on and off, but not mobile data.
A pet peeve of mine too. But I read here that Marshmallow actually lets you select what toggles you want to put on the drawer, and 'Cellular Data' seems one of the options.

Edit: Noticed later in your post you've discovered the Tweak UI option

Quote:
There is no simple ring/silent/vibrate toggle, either: it is necessary to press the volume button, where reducing ring volume to zero turns on vibrate. Very silly change!

Has the sound screen changed drastically from Android 5.1? On there, when you hit the volume button, just tapping on the bell on the left of the slider takes you straight to vibrate (the icon changes appropriately). If you want total silence, just choose the 'None' option (or whatever it's called in M for notifications). The article I referenced above has a section for this too, see section Silent mode/priority notifications.

P.S. My Moto G3 hasn't received the M update yet, and looking at how Google seems to be bent on complicating things and me being happy with what L offers, I'm inclined to hold off on the itch to Update.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th January 2016 at 15:18.
Old 7th January 2016, 17:51   #22635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
A pet peeve of mine too. But I read here that Marshmallow actually lets you select what toggles you want to put on the drawer, and 'Cellular Data' seems one of the options.
From a strangely limited set. I wonder why they go through straightforward functionality and say, "we'll leave that one out!"

I suppose leaving out mobile data is google's way of always knowing what you are up to and where. But mobile data costs, battery and money, and is one of the things we may very well want to turn off.

Quote:
Edit: Noticed later in your post you've discovered the Tweak UI option
Yes. Mobile data is there as an option for the status bar, but not, as far as I can tell, for the toggles.

Quote:
Has the sound screen changed drastically from Android 5.1? On there, when you hit the volume button, just tapping on the bell on the left of the slider takes you straight to vibrate (the icon changes appropriately). If you want total silence, just choose the 'None' option (or whatever it's called in M for notifications). The article I referenced above has a section for this too, see section Silent mode/priority notifications.
I think that is pretty much how it works... but how do they think that is any better than a ring/vibrate/silent toggle, which leaves stuff like volume settings just how they were.
Quote:
looking at how Google seems to be bent on complicating things and me being happy with what L offers, I'm inclined to hold off on the itch to Update.
You read the same article I did... battery management is supposed to be a big thing. If you want to google everything around you, Google Now on tap is there (personally, I could live without google now. Or should that be google then?). Monthly security updates could be one of the best invisible features, if it turns out to be effective. There is going to be stuff there that is a big deal for some people, and, of course, soon it will be the starting point for everyone buying a new android phone. If there is a specific feature that you really want, then go for it. If not... I wouldn't hurry.

Microsoft has successfully brainwashed the world (so that they can sell it) that only the very latest versions will do; Firefox turned numbers into a game. So much hype! I'd be happy with the version of Cyanogenmod I had on Defy (android 4.something, I suppose); I miss some of the features of MIUI, like its battery profiles (but maybe Doze does a better job automatically), but unlike some of the Windows, MS Office, Firefox etc "upgrades," I would not say that there is anything truly horrible in Marshmallow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks