Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 06:59   #23506
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Check out Flipkart today. Awesome offers. Moto G turbo at the price of Moto g3 . I just bought a g3 recently and returning it to get the turbo. Lenova has some good phones in your price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
relatives use both (A6000+/Redmi2). Both are fantastic. Why not extend to MI4? Its the wife after all. MI4 camera is super awesome IMHO (best among sub 25k in my exp, incl One plus one). My sis takes excellent non-camera shots of her baby daughter with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Redmi 2 Prime should do fine.
Alternately, check the Lenovo A6000.

I would pick the former as I hate Lenovo's software.
Thanks guys. Ordered the Redmi 2. So that will make it the 4th phone in the family from MI.
Old 19th May 2016, 07:59   #23507
Senior - BHPian

My search for a decent phone around 15K continues.
I had high hopes from Moto G4. But, they disappointed me big time by having no 5" variant. I have been using the original Moto X and I simply love it's form factor. I can't handle these 5.5" monsters. When the whole world is having both 5" and 5.5" variants, why can't Moto? I heard that even the Moto X 2016 will have only 5.5" variants.

Now, my hopes are on the Oneplus 3 and the upcoming Nexus devices.

My requirements are - decent camera, good battery life, fingerprint sensor, screen 5"
So far I have shortlisted the Nexus 5X, Galaxy A5 2016 but both are above 20K and does not seem good value for money with only 2 GB RAM) .MI5 is also there but it is 25K.
Old 19th May 2016, 08:53   #23508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I had high hopes from Moto G4. But, they disappointed me big time by having no 5" variant. I have been using the original Moto X and I simply love it's form factor. I can't handle these 5.5" monsters. When the whole world is having both 5" and 5.5" variants, why can't Moto? I heard that even the Moto X 2016 will have only 5.5" variants.

My requirements are - decent camera, good battery life, fingerprint sensor, screen 5"
So far I have shortlisted the Nexus 5X, Galaxy A5 2016 but both are above 20K and does not seem good value for money with only 2 GB RAM) .MI5 is also there but it is 25K.
Since you're not averse to Mi phones, have you checked out Mi4? (not the Mi4i; the Mi4..)
It has a fantastic camera! decent battery life (1 day plus change hours), okay specs.
Package is pretty good If you grab some offer & the price is @ 12.5-13.5k price point (although it doesn't have "all best" specs at that price, it does a good job, IMO)

Ace.
Old 19th May 2016, 09:02   #23509
BHPian

And finally I have the Moto g4 plus in my hand. Initial impressions are very good. The phone is lighter than moto g3. The build quality is good. Camera is also good.
@adimicra - please consider the Moto g4 plus. The display is really good.
Please let me know if you have any specific questions for moto g4 plus
Old 19th May 2016, 09:35   #23510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And finally I have the Moto g4 plus in my hand. Initial impressions are very good. The phone is lighter than moto g3. The build quality is good. Camera is also good.
Can you please put up some close up pics? Did you get any exchange offer on it, and how much did it cost you?
Old 19th May 2016, 09:38   #23511
BHPian

Quote:

I am also looking at the exact same specifications. Seems we either have to compromise with the fingerprint sensor/RAM/battery life parameter.

My next hope is Asus Zenfone max 3 which comes out on 30th may.

Dad's Redmi Note 3 is working like a charm. I may also buy the same phone and save few bucks
Old 19th May 2016, 10:08   #23512
BHPian

Quote:
Hi sairamboko

Please let us know how long it takes to fully charged the phone. And once you use it for a while, let us know the battery life.

I also heard that this phone does not have a magnetic sensor (for compass ). Can you confirm? I use Google maps for navigation when I go to unfamiliar areas and it's better if we have the magnetometer.

Last edited by JonSnow : 19th May 2016 at 10:09.
Old 19th May 2016, 10:14   #23513
BHPian

Attached are some pics of moto g4plus.

Pics taken from redmi note 3. The turbo charger takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to charge from 20% to 100%.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463633032911.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463633042187.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463633054128.jpg  

Last edited by sairamboko : 19th May 2016 at 10:15.
Old 19th May 2016, 10:58   #23514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drop J series, include Zuk Z1. I'm super happy with Redmi Note 3 except the camera which is only good for facebook/instagram.
Thanks for helping me with the choices. I am inclined to go towards redmi note 3 but had couple of questions.

1. I see that it is running on an older version of android? Any idea when the company pushes the software updates?
2. How is the battery life?
Old 19th May 2016, 11:41   #23515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Thanks for helping me with the choices. I am inclined to go towards redmi note 3 but had couple of questions.

1. I see that it is running on an older version of android? Any idea when the company pushes the software updates?
1. MIUI 8 should be available within this year. Not sure whether it is based on Android 5.x.x or 6.x.x
2. Fantastic! Pretty happy with the 4000+ mAh. I push my phone a lot and with RN3 I haven't had to look for my power bank.

Coming from Nexus 4, I had my doubts about the MIUI skin but so far it has been a breeze to use and has some useful little features inbuilt. For e.g., while moving to developer ROM, backing up everything and restoring was so easy. The process otherwise would have involved 3-4 apps to get the restore point. So far, it has been a very worthwhile investment more so since camera is not a priority for me.
Old 19th May 2016, 11:44   #23516
BHPian

Quote:
Attached are some pics of moto g4plus.

Pics taken from redmi note 3. The turbo charger takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to charge from 20% to 100%.
@sairamboko: Can you check the following things

1) Does the fingerprint sensor wake the device and unlock it? Say if it is lying on a table and you just place your thumb on the sensor (no presses) and it wakes the device and unlocks it. Just like Nexus 6P

2) Is the notification LED next to the fingerprint sensor functional?

I am also planning to get the Moto G4 Plus. But, on various sites, there is mention of a third variant too, 64GB/4GB RAM, but this is not available in Amazon. I did check with the Amazon and Motorola customer care, but as expected, those guys haven't got a clue. Confused whether I should wait to get some more clarity about the 4GB RAM variant or just go with the 32GB/3GB RAM variant.

Last edited by Repsol : 19th May 2016 at 11:45.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:06   #23517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

1. Its super usable, has a truckload of features. Latest version of Android is a number that is meaningless.

General updates - once a week or ten days.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:16   #23518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had high hopes from Moto G4. But, they disappointed me big time by having no 5" variant.
'Moto g4 play' would be with a 5" screen. Don't know launch date in India, few months away at least.
Old 19th May 2016, 13:07   #23519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
@sairamboko: Can you check the following things

1) Does the fingerprint sensor wake the device and unlock it? Say if it is lying on a table and you just place your thumb on the sensor (no presses) and it wakes the device and unlocks it.
1. Yes the fingerprint lock wakes the screen when unlocked like Nexus 6p.
2. I dont that is a led light. Looks like an additional mike. Not sure.

The 4gb / 64 gb variant is for international markets, not for India. For us it will be the 2gb/16gb or 3gb/32gb variants only. Go for the 3gb /32gb one. I have that only.
Old 19th May 2016, 14:05   #23520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
1) Does the fingerprint sensor wake the device and unlock it? Say if it is lying on a table and you just place your thumb on the sensor (no presses) and it wakes the device and unlocks it. Just like Nexus 6P

2) Is the notification LED next to the fingerprint sensor functional?
1) Does it really matter whether you need to press or just keeping your finger on the sensor to open the lock? It is pretty snappy as far as I experienced it and that's good enough for me.
2) Frankly, I did not even notice that there is a notification LED next to the fingerprint sensor! One anyhow exists in the front (top, right) and that functions pretty well.

Quote:
1. Its super usable, has a truckload of features.
You are a big Redmi Note 3 fan, are not you? Well, it is a superb phone for the price, no two ways about that. However, by virtue of using a good few phones (including 2 Redmis and 1 Mi3 other than OPO and Moto) my thoughts on the Note-3 are
- Camera is supremely stupid for what is otherwise such a great device
- MIUI has created customization too deep for my liking. This is not specific to Redmi Note 3 but about all the Xiaomis
- Due to the above I find it extremely difficult at times to find even the simplest of things in Settings
- Although these devices are loaded with features (my personal favorite being the universal remote) some of the missing features are really sad. Like, Note 3 does not seem to support the basic miracast/screencast features that many other androids support
- No MHL support and thus Note 3 which otherwise can play even games like Real Racing 3 without stuttering or frame drop at high resolutions can't unfortunately work as a game console connectable to a big TV!

P.S.: By the way, my OPO had become slow over the years with too much of junk in it. However, nature forced my hands yesterday. After last week's Marshmallow upgrade somehow the OPO had started getting slower and I tried to tweak a few rights of the various apps. Something broke in the process and the OPO froze on the lock screen (reboot=repeat cycle). So finally yesterday night I decided to do a factory wipe. It took the whole of the night to do that. And now presto! From this morning, I have a lightning fast OPO.

Most Viewed