Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2016, 08:46   #25081
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Looks like someone got a OnePlus 3 from Flipkart.

https://twitter.com/bimlagupta55/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:25   #25082
BHPian

Re: App + Data between 2 android devices?

Is there a elegant way to move app + data from one device to another.
I bought K6 Power for myself from flipkart and would like to move app + data from RN3 to K6.

Please advise.
Old 24th December 2016, 06:32   #25083
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to update. The Redmi Note 3 Marshmallow update isn't worth it. The previous version (5.1.1 was rock solid). Besides breaking my favorite 3rd party camera app, apps of all types hang including Skype, prime video etc etc. Please exercise caution before you update.
Old 24th December 2016, 07:33   #25084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just wanted to update. The Redmi Note 3 Marshmallow update isn't worth it. The previous version (5.1.1 was rock solid). Besides breaking my favorite 3rd party camera app, apps of all types hang including Skype, prime video etc etc. Please exercise caution before you update.
I'm on one of the cm roms on 6.0.1, works pretty well. Are you still on miui?
Old 24th December 2016, 10:05   #25085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Dual sim and Nexus can't happen, unfortunately.
Apart from that, the rather costly Pixel is the best choice for now, as it is their latest and greatest.
The cheapest would be the 5X I should think. Still only a year old, pretty good performance and camera, rocking 7.1.1 already, and with a host of cool official and unofficial accessories available. However, as the Nexus lineup is no more, it remains to be seen how much love the 5X and 6P still get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
If you want an inexpensive phone which runs stock android and has dual SIM, why not consider one of the Motorola phones?

They have had a good track record so far when it comes to updates, and hopefully they will continue to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Check out the latest flagship killer the One Plus 3T, the internet is buzzing with this newly launched phone. It has a dual sim, 64/128 gb capacity, 6gb ram and the latest Snapdragon 821 processor which should satisfy what you are looking for. Its available on Amazon for around 30 thousand.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Check out the Moto range of phones. The Moto M got launched today at 15999 /-.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Nexus and Dual Sim don't go together.

Your best options are OnePlus 3 or Moto Z play.
After a lot of thinking and reading, I noticed that the OnePlus guys don't really venture to upgrade the software on phones that are just a generation older. There are reports that the OP2 is not on the software upgrade path. Is this true? If so, this strikes this brand off my list. I usually get a phone and retain it for the next 4-5 years (My Xperia Z bought in 2013 I think is still my primary phone).

My criteria:

1. Maximum RAM (4GB+)
2. Pure Android
3. Assured software updates for the next 3 years minimum
4. Dual Sim
5. Minimum 32 GB internal storage with SD Card OR 64GB internal.
6. Water resistant, good build quality for rough use (Sony is pretty damn good here...atleast my xperia Z is).
7. Turbo charging
8. A GREAT camera - I do not carry a regular camera, and watching all the iphone photos, I wonder why I shouldn't want one (an iphone that is).

I don't game at all. I watch lots of videos, read on the phone (so clarity is important), travel to places where I don't have network coverage apart from BSNL, and am a pretty rough user.

Are these the only two phones that met most of my criteria?

Moto Z Play: But this comes with a 625 series processor. Isnt the latest already the 820 series?

OP3: Software updates?

I am not looking at the Sony's anymore...hell expensive and the software upgrades are not great.

What else are my options - now that I have listed all points down clearly?

Sometimes I wonder if I should just get an ipHone with a water resistant/shock proof case and be done with it. Would this be the right way to go for someone who is not keen on meddling with the software of the phone? I just need a phone that works well when I travel! I already use a mac, if that matters.

Wait, the iphone is not dual sim. Christ! But I just read reports that the I8 might be dual sim.

Last edited by Red Liner : 24th December 2016 at 10:08.
Old 24th December 2016, 11:36   #25086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Sometimes I wonder if I should just get an ipHone with a water resistant/shock proof case and be done with it. Would this be the right way to go for I just need a phone that works well when I travel! I already use a mac, if that matters.

Wait, the iphone is not dual sim. Christ! But I just read reports that the I8 might be dual sim.
With the requirements that you have listed, you should only look at flagship phones. Your hardware requirements will definitely be taken care of in that segment. Having said that, software and update schedule could still be deal breakers.

You can consider google pixel as an option and maybe Samsung s7, if you can live with touchwiz.

Otherwise iPhone is your best bet.
Old 24th December 2016, 11:46   #25087
BHPian

@Redliner - probably get an iphone or a pixel and buy another cheap one like the old days Nokia and use your another SIM in it. In android not much options are available if you want OS support after 3 or 4 years. iphone is your best bet.
Old 24th December 2016, 12:08   #25088
BHPian

Quote:
After a lot of thinking and reading, I noticed that the OnePlus guys don't really venture to upgrade the software on phones that are just a generation older...
Closest bet is Moto Z or Moto Z Play.

Reasons:

1 of the last fee phones with dual sim AND a dedicated MicroSD card slot

Decent levels of water resistance. Moto has proved itself there

They have been consistent with OS updates too. Z series is going to get Nougat and 'O'

Mods! Can please your camera needs,after can be a great battery pack too. They have committed to keeping the mods design same for next 3 generations and launch atleast 4 mods per quarter.

Spending close to 60k on pixel or iPhone. Instead 25k on the Z play and 20k on the Hasselblad camera mod,seems wiser. Or even the Moto Z for that matter.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th December 2016 at 22:59.
Old 24th December 2016, 12:21   #25089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
With the requirements that you have listed, you should only look at flagship phones. Your hardware requirements will definitely be taken care of in that segment. Having said that, software and update schedule could still be deal breakers.

You can consider google pixel as an option and maybe Samsung s7, if you can live with touchwiz.

Otherwise iPhone is your best bet.
Thank you. Both the Pixel and the iphones are ridiculously expensive...I really dont care about flaunting a brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
@Redliner - probably get an iphone or a pixel and buy another cheap one like the old days Nokia and use your another SIM in it. In android not much options are available if you want OS support after 3 or 4 years. iphone is your best bet.
This sounds reasonable, but annoying to have to carry two phones, charge both etc etc. Trying to keep the electronic footprint at the bare minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Closest bet is Moto Z or Moto Z Play.

Reasons:

1 of the last fee phones with dual sim AND a dedicated MicroSD card slot

Decent levels of water resistance. Moto has proved itself there

They have been consistent with OS updates too. Z series is going to get Nougat and 'O'

Mods! Can please your camera needs,after can be a great battery pack too. They have committed to keeping the mods design same for next 3 generations and launch atleast 4 mods per quarter.

Spending close to 60k on pixel or iPhone. Instead 25k on the Z play and 20k on the Hasselblad camera mod,seems wiser. Or even the Moto Z for that matter.
Yes, looks like the Moto Z or Play seems like a fair option. Thank you for helping me narrow things down. I have to take a bet between the Moto Z and the Play. The Moto z is a good 15k more than the Play. Is that worth the extra money for just a thinnner/lighter phone and the 820 series chip plus the additional 1 GB ram? The Play has a bigger battery which is a big bonus. I am kind of veering to the Play. But worried about the processor capability and the 3GB ram.

Do shops retail both these phones? Would like to see and check them out before buying one.

Now, I will wait for good deals this new year on one of these phones along with an exchange on my Z.

Last edited by Red Liner : 24th December 2016 at 12:30.
Old 24th December 2016, 12:42   #25090
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Both the Pixel and the iphones are ridiculously expensive...I really dont care about flaunting a brand.

I have to take a bet between the Moto Z and the Play. The Moto z is a good 15k more than the Play. Is that worth the extra money for just a thinnner/lighter phone and the 820 series chip plus the additional 1 GB ram? The Play has a bigger battery which is a big bonus. I am kind of veering to the Play. But worried about the processor capability and the 3GB ram.
My suggestion was solely based on your requirements of comprehensive features with reliable service and long life. They are positioned as status symbols for those who buy them for it. Otherwise they are one heck of reliable devices (fingers crossed on pixel).

Processor and ram can't be upgraded as an aftermarket accessory. But for battery you can always carry a power bank. I'd also suggest buying a phone with higher internal storage so that if you use services such as Netflix, it'd be easier to save videos for offline viewing.
Old 24th December 2016, 12:52   #25091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
My suggestion was solely based on your requirements of comprehensive features with reliable service and long life. They are positioned as status symbols for those who buy them for it. Otherwise they are one heck of reliable devices (fingers crossed on pixel).

Processor and ram can't be upgraded as an aftermarket accessory. But for battery you can always carry a power bank. I'd also suggest buying a phone with higher internal storage so that if you use services such as Netflix, it'd be easier to save videos for offline viewing.
I understand and agree. But the massive premium over the mid-flag ships seem exorbitant.

The Moto Z play - it seems like I can either use two sim cards or one sim card and an SD card. Is this true?
Old 24th December 2016, 14:07   #25092
BHPian

Quote:
I understand and agree. But the massive premium over the mid-flag ships seem exorbitant.

The Moto Z play - it seems like I can either use two sim cards or one sim card and an SD card. Is this true?
Like I mentioned, currently it's one of those rare phones with 3 slots in 1 adapter.

2 SIM cards + a micro SD card.
So no compromise. At all.

Using a Moto Z play.
Why I picked it over the Z.

Presence of 3.5mm jack (sacrificed in Z to make it slim)
And bigger battery.

I don't play games on this phone
But using Amazon prime video. ShowBox. Kodi. Slack. Trello. vTiger. Opera VPN. Tawk.
In addition to the usual banking, shopping and google tools.

Don't find the processor or 3Gb ram stuttering. Battery life is really really good for my usage. For the first time in 2 years I don't have to worry about battery at all!

Got 10k exchange for my Moto Droid Turbo from Flipkart. I bought it on the day of launch.
I feel its one of those underrated often overlooked phones.
It invites fair amount of curiosity and attention especially with the style mod they give bundled.
I have 3 Moto Z Plays in my family.

Will start buying mods soon. Waiting for discounts.

Quote:

This sounds reasonable, but annoying to have to carry two phones, charge both etc etc. Trying to keep the electronic footprint at the bare minimum.

Yes, looks like the Moto Z or Play seems like a fair option. Thank you for helping me narrow things down. I have to take a bet between the Moto Z and the Play. The Moto z is a good 15k more than the Play. Is that worth the extra money for just a thinnner/lighter phone and the 820 series chip plus the additional 1 GB ram? The Play has a bigger battery which is a big bonus. I am kind of veering to the Play. But worried about the processor capability and the 3GB ram.

Do shops retail both these phones? Would like to see and check them out before buying one.

Now, I will wait for good deals this new year on one of these phones along with an exchange on my Z.
Old 24th December 2016, 14:18   #25093
Senior - BHPian

Nexus 6P is at 31k these days before exchange. Good phone for that price i reckon.

Wish the LG V20 was launched at sub 50k prices.
Old 24th December 2016, 14:22   #25094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Like I mentioned, currently it's one of those rare phones with 3 slots in 1 adapter.

2 SIM cards + a micro SD card.
So no compromise. At all.

Using a Moto Z play.
Why I picked it over the Z.
Wow! This is awesome! Now I will wait for New Year...hope there's some bundled offer with my credit card along with the exchange thing.

Flipkart's offer for my Xperia Z was 5,200 against amazon's 1950! What gives? Its a massive difference.

Quick question: Does the turbo charge work as advertised? Some people say it takes over an hour to charge up.

Thank you Suraj, you've been very helpful.

Add Q for the others: Could someone list best practices to follow when giving away your old phone? Do I just do a factory reset - will that completely remove all the user data?

Further, how do I keep all the data with me to install into the new phone without the old one in my hand? I am looking at things like App Data (Contacts, SMS etc can be done via google I assume).

Last edited by Red Liner : 24th December 2016 at 14:34.
Old 24th December 2016, 14:36   #25095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Looks like someone got a OnePlus 3 from Flipkart.

https://twitter.com/bimlagupta55/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Absolutely lost remaining respect for Flipkart for this. They should be ashamed of themselves. Have a few odd OP3s bought from Amazon and resold on their website? Yes, they anchor the price around to that point but pretty much everyone knows OnePlus would not honor their warranty in case of a problem.

Just to check if it was real or not (this sale) - I did add this to my cart as well at exactly 4pm, but never did go on to buy. Because both Amazon and FK are marketplaces, they are not directly liable but there is still something called being honorable and their promoters showed that they are just a bunch of no-gooders. Even when asked by OnePlus CEO, they didn't even bother to reply (perhaps out of shame).

I hope they come out and apologize and restore some of their value.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks