Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 07:30   #26101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmish View Post
Since you already have used the Mi Phones, you could check out Mi Max 2. Yes the phone is big but I have been using it for the last one week and its not that difficult to handle because it is pretty slim. Its got a great screen and battery (takes care of my daily dose of Netflix/ Prime/ Hotstar), 4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage, etc. Recommend you take a look at it.
But I always felt it to be too big. 5.5 itself I think is the max I can live with. No doubt that Mi phones are brilliant, but just thought I would try out either Moto G5 plus or Nokia 6. I do have another phone as backup which I quite love.
Old 4th August 2017, 08:52   #26102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
But I always felt it to be too big. 5.5 itself I think is the max I can live with. No doubt that Mi phones are brilliant, but just thought I would try out either Moto G5 plus or Nokia 6. I do have another phone as backup which I quite love.
I've been using the G5+ for the past week. It's a lovely phone. I moved from a Nexus 5 and the 5.2" screen is just right.

I am thinking that 5.5" inch screen would be too big. Performance is adequate for daily tasks. The phone does get heated up when charging using the Turbo charger. Otherwise it has been a smooth player.

I end up with almost 50% of the battery at the end of the day with 6 hours of SOT. I am not much of a gamer so can't comment on that. But this phone shares its processor with the Z/Z2 play. So I suppose it should hold its own when it comes to gaming performance.

Call clarity is good as well and Moto actions are cool

I am hoping Android O comes to this phone. Will be set for two years then.
Old 4th August 2017, 09:14   #26103
Senior - BHPian

My son's Redmi 3S Prime developed serious battery charging issues just 6 months into ownership. The service centre says it's a common problem with these built to cost MI phones. Got it repaired, however got my son a Lenovo Z2 Plus @10k from Amazon. It's a great deal for a phone featuring last year's flagship Snapdragon 820 processor with 3 GB of DDR4 ram, 32 gb storage, all possible sensors, type c port, fingerprint scanner, a great full hd 5" screen and full glass back. Updated it to Nougat, did a factory reset and it's butter smooth. The camera though is a little weak but still better than other phones in this price bracket. Z2 has also developed a fledgling developer community on XDA due to its strong hardware. There are lots of great roms floating around like AOSP and Resurrection which really make the phone even faster and smoother. I would fully recommend this device in the sub 15k category for its great hardware and developer community.

Cheers...

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2017 at 10:45. Reason: typo
Old 4th August 2017, 10:40   #26104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Does anyone here use the Blackberry KeyONE? I'm seriously tempted by the India spec version due to launch on Aug 8 but does anyone have an idea of the good and bad? I've given up on reviews because according to them, most phones are good.
Tempted to get one. But 40k is just too much in my opinion.
Old 4th August 2017, 12:33   #26105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I've been using the G5+ for the past week. It's a lovely phone. I moved from a Nexus 5 and the 5.2" screen is just right.
Thanks a lot for your comments. Battery is important for me since am connected to the net 24/7 and rely on whatsapp, Skype for official communications. Having said that, I am moving away from MI (G5+ and Nokia 6 looks good for me). Heard G5+ offered pretty decent battery life (Read in many reviews online. A day's charge would do for me).

And yes, absolutely no games for me too.

I will anyways wait for Nokia 6 to release and see how it performs. So I will purchase sometime in Sept. BTW, am currently using a Nexus 5 too. Loving it. Decent battery life from that tiny unit .
Old 4th August 2017, 14:12   #26106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I've been offered 30k for my S7 edge and I'm seriously thinking about it.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:19   #26107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

I will anyways wait for Nokia 6 to release and see how it performs. So I will purchase sometime in Sept. BTW, am currently using a Nexus 5 too. Loving it. Decent battery life from that tiny unit .
Do take a look at Moto Z play as well. The last year model. It has a 3510 mAh battery. Better suited for you since you say you need to be connected 24/7. It shares the processor with G5 plus.

Nokia 6 should have come with 600 series SoC. Too much money for a 400 series one.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:49   #26108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Quote:
Does anyone here use the Blackberry KeyONE? I'm seriously tempted by the India spec version due to launch on Aug 8 but does anyone have an idea of the good and bad? I've given up on reviews because according to them, most phones are good.
Lookup the jerryrigeverything video for this one on youtube before you plonk your money on this phone. I would recommend to stay away.

Old 4th August 2017, 15:55   #26109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Lookup the jerryrigeverything video for this one on Youtube before you plonk your money on this phone. I would recommend to stay away.
Ouch that video gave me heartache
Old 4th August 2017, 16:03   #26110
BHPian

Quote:
Lookup the jerryrigeverything video for this one on Youtube before you plonk your money on this phone. I would recommend to stay away.
But for the display not being glued tightly, I think the phone does look to be a good one from the Blackberry stable. I have used a couple of their phones and I have found them to be really rugged and good to use. I wouldn't write them off in any hurry.
Old 4th August 2017, 18:53   #26111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you look for Crackberry Kevin's reviews and drop test then you will be tempted to pick this up since it sustains day to day drops and hits very well and survives with barely a scratch. Also after the jerryrig video went live. TCL have put out a statement that the glue around the display has been rectified now and the screen should not come out the way it did in the video.

@djpeesh, if your total outgo from the pocket is only 10k after giving away a phone which you are not using, then I would say the Keyone limited edition black is good VFM. It comes with 4GB RAM n 64GB Storage. Only fly in the ointment is the budget grade SoC SD625 for a phone costing almost 40k. If it had only come with SD835 or at least the 821, I would have closed my eyes and bought it right away. The international variant has 3GB RAM and 32GB storage and in most comparison tests it manages to hold its own. So with an extra gig of RAM and more storage for the price you're getting it at, it is a very tempting deal I should say.
Old 4th August 2017, 18:57   #26112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been offered 30k for my S7 edge and I'm seriously thinking about it.
That would not be a a very wise decision. The Blackberry is nowhere even near the Samsung S7 Edge both in specs/performance and quality/looks. Unless you have a very dire need for a physical keyboard, which will be a passing fad very soon in today's day and age.

Cheers...
Old 4th August 2017, 20:01   #26113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Do take a look at Moto Z play as well. The last year model. It has a 3510 mAh battery. Better suited for you since you say you need to be connected 24/7. It shares the processor with G5 plus.
I had checked that as well. Keeping my budget to 15k so didnt check them out in detail.

Ya, that's one big problem with Nokia 6. A better processor, I would have confirmed it. But looks like they have optimized it really well. Anyhow, shall review both these phones and decide next month. Let's see if any new phone will come out that time .
Old 5th August 2017, 00:10   #26114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
That would not be a a very wise decision. The Blackberry is nowhere even near the Samsung S7 Edge both in specs/performance and quality/looks. Unless you have a very dire need for a physical keyboard, which will be a passing fad very soon in today's day and age.

Cheers...
I'm reconsidering whether or not to get the Berry now (primarily as the home ministry has vetoed the idea). The main draws to me are the typo resistant keyboard and the stellar battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

@djpeesh, if your total outgo from the pocket is only 10k after giving away a phone which you are not using, then I would say the Keyone limited edition black is good VFM..
I use the S7 edge as my every day phone. So it will be my primary device, if I do get it. I use just one phone.
Old 9th August 2017, 11:35   #26115
BANNED

Dad's phone was due replacement since long. He had a basic samsung which had only 8 GB of internal storage 95% of which are taken by Samsung bloat and Android. The only thing he does smart on a smart phone is Whatsapp and check his bank statement for pension deposits.

His requirement, larger screen so that he can have a larger font setup and not too big to able to keep in his pocket and of-course he hates changing phone frequently.

Was waiting for Nokia 6 (senior citizen' favorite brand), but just saw LG Q6 on Amazon. Basic mid range phone with 32GB internal storage and 3GB RAM with 5.5'' suits his requirement pretty well. Take a plunge and ordered. Seems they deliver to my Dad on friday. I will update once he gets the phone.

Had a notion that LG provides some not so fancy, but reliable phones, hence went for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks