Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2018, 09:39   #27766
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Facing a few new problems on my Nokia 8:

1. I am unable to receive SMS while on 4G network. Sending is OK as the phone switches to H+ and back. But no incoming. This is extremely annoying as I am not able to receive OTPs unless I switch to 3G or 2G mode.

2. The phone aggressively switches to 2G mode and stays there. I tried 4G recommended/3G only modes. Even tried with the *#*#4636#*#* method. If I select 4G only option, theres no network signal.

3. With the new camera update, the camera app crashes if I select pro mode or HDR. Not much of an issue since I haven't used the native camera app in a long time. I'm sticking with the google camera app.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Edit: I'm on Vodafone network.
Edit 2: The carrier name randomly switches between Vodafone IN, Vodafone IN-Idea 2G and Idea.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 14th September 2018 at 09:43.
Old 16th September 2018, 23:35   #27767
BHPian

Folks,

Call me conservative, but how safe are these devices (Poco, Oneplus, ...) with respect to SAR, etc?

Having worked for Motorola for a long time, I've been a life long Motorola phone user graduating from button, grey scale, color, dual sim phones and currently standing with Moto X Style. I have always been skeptical about the safety aspects of the new gen 'Chinese' phones.

My Moto X Style is roughly 3 years old and have become slow and battery drains out pretty fast. So, was considering a change and looking at Moto G6 Plus seriously. But, some of these new models like Poco F1 and OnePlus6 were too winking at me.

Any insights?

Regards
Rex
Old 17th September 2018, 11:23   #27768
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Edit: I'm on Vodafone network.
Edit 2: The carrier name randomly switches between Vodafone IN, Vodafone IN-Idea 2G and Idea.
Remember the latter, ie Idea is now part of Voda, so it is just the logo which is changing. Maybe 2G is now on Idea and not on Voda.
Old 17th September 2018, 11:32   #27769
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone on here play Asphalt 9 Legends? By far the most satisfying experience in the Asphalt series. The graphics are smooth as silk, the soundtrack is awesome and the controls are superb.

If not already, can someone with a high rank create a private TBhp club on the app and post the details on here. Interested TBhp members can send in an invite to the mod. Should be fun to race in the virtual world with the Tbhp brethen
Old 17th September 2018, 12:06   #27770
BHPian

Anyone bought a device via airtel device offer? We need to pay a small down payment and rest as EMI. We get handset protection, better plans and amazon prime. Want to know how this works and what happens after the EMI period?
Old 18th September 2018, 18:10   #27771
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Folks,

Call me conservative, but how safe are these devices (Poco, Oneplus, ...) with respect to SAR, etc?

Having worked for Motorola for a long time, I've been a life long Motorola phone user graduating from button, grey scale, color, dual sim phones and currently standing with Moto X Style. I have always been skeptical about the safety aspects of the new gen 'Chinese' phones.

My Moto X Style is roughly 3 years old and have become slow and battery drains out pretty fast. So, was considering a change and looking at Moto G6 Plus seriously. But, some of these new models like Poco F1 and OnePlus6 were too winking at me.

Any insights?

Regards
Rex
Chinese companies like Xiaomi reports the SAR value in their handsets. Not sure about the others like Oppo/Vivo.

https://gadgetstouse.com/news/sar-va...produces/21003
Old 19th September 2018, 07:43   #27772
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
Need some pointers. Been on the fence (with Apple) since last year; my primary phone has been the iphone for the last 4+ years. Got an excellent deal on Samsung S8 last year; got it with plans to move to it eventually but had given it to my mom temporarily while her phone was on repair last month and now she's loving it.

Now I feel I'm done with the apple journey for now; at the crossroads asking the quintessential question - which phone next?

Option A
My needs (in order of priority)
- Waterproof & ruggard (I do a lot of running/cycling in the rain/outdoors)
- Good camera (don't think I find value in the dual camera logic)
- Full screen (the current saga introduced by Samsung & later iPhone) models
- Decent specs (nothing earth shattering required)

Although I don't have a budget limit, I don't want to go beyond 30K. Am not brand conscious but would want to make an informed choice.
Been searching online but can't come to a conclusion. Also how good is the Samsung A8?

Option B
An alternative to all of this is to get a phone for my mom and take back the S8 which satisfies all my current needs. If that alternative is to be taken, then what phone? (the ruggardness & waterproof is not relevant for her)

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th September 2018 at 07:46.
Old 19th September 2018, 08:50   #27773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Option A
For option A, One Plus looks good as does Poco F1, the armored edition [without waterproofing]. I too shifted from iPhones and am currently using an Honor 10 and must say, I am more than happy [network issues are a thing of the past].

In the meanwhile, do look up at Samsung, they do have lots of deals going around [currently for S8 and Note 8]. If 2 sims are not a requirement, do look at Pixel series as well. Do look up at various e-shopping sites [paytm etc]
Quote:
Option B
Give that A8 to her and you may take that S8 back

Last edited by Sheel : 19th September 2018 at 08:52.
Old 19th September 2018, 11:10   #27774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For option A, One Plus looks good as does Poco F1, the armored edition [without waterproofing].
In this case, my personal opinion is that Poco F1 in its higher end trims isn't a great deal unless you absolutely need that 256GB internal storage. If 30k is the budget, better stretch it to 35k (33k in cases of cashback on Amazon etc) and get an One Plus 6. My reasons -
  • Better screen - AMOLED on OP6 Vs LCD on Poco
  • Water resistance - OP6 is certified water resistant (not IP67 though) Vs pushing your luck with Poco

Rest all in my frank opinion is more or less the same for both phones. If going Poco route, VFM bets are on lower end of offerings (6GB + 64GB is a loot deal if you ask me). 30k budget also can also have Asus Zenfone 5Z as a very competent option too.
Old 19th September 2018, 11:52   #27775
BHPian

@ninjatalli I'd agree with Sheel and say go for the Note8 or S8/S8+ as they are IP67 (or is it IP68?) rated and are still very good hardware and are now cheaper because of being a generation old. Also check around on Paytm and Tatacliq along with Amazon and Flipkart. The only downside is TouchWiz which you have to grin and bear. The other option is to wait for the OnePlus 6T which will mean the OnePlus 6 will probably have some discounts and stock clearance, and that will bring it down to below 30K.
Old 19th September 2018, 12:42   #27776
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now I feel I'm done with the apple journey for now; at the crossroads asking the quintessential question - which phone next?

Option A
My needs (in order of priority)
- Waterproof & ruggard (I do a lot of running/cycling in the rain/outdoors)
- Good camera (don't think I find value in the dual camera logic)
- Full screen (the current saga introduced by Samsung & later iPhone) models
- Decent specs (nothing earth shattering required)

Although I don't have a budget limit, I don't want to go beyond 30K. Am not brand conscious but would want to make an informed choice.
Been searching online but can't come to a conclusion. Also how good is the Samsung A8?
I would suggest the Pixel 2 XL. I am not sure how much it cost in India; its quite a brilliant device. And the camera is just superb.
Old 19th September 2018, 14:04   #27777
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would suggest the Pixel 2 XL. I am not sure how much it cost in India; its quite a brilliant device. And the camera is just superb.
The Pixel 3/3 XL are coming on October 9 so buying the Pixel 2 XL now doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Specially when @ninjatalli says he doesn't really have a limited budget.
Old 19th September 2018, 14:10   #27778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Pixel 3/3 XL are coming on October 9 so buying the Pixel 2 XL now doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Specially when @ninjatalli says he doesn't really have a limited budget.
He did mention that he don't want to go beyond 30K, hence suggested the XL 2.
Old 19th September 2018, 14:30   #27779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
He did mention that he don't want to go beyond 30K, hence suggested the XL 2.
Pixel XL 2 is priced more or less at par with other flagships in India (source). Nears double the budget being discussed here.
Old 19th September 2018, 14:46   #27780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Pixel XL 2 is priced more or less at par with other flagships in India (source). Nears double the budget being discussed here.
Amazon sells in grey I think. Flipkart is the only seller and its out of stock right now. Might be back in few weeks.

I picked up mine for 45K on sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks