Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 08:12   #30946
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thanks guys. I can tell my sis to carry the new Pixel. She is flying in from USA in December 2021. But if there is a problem with the phone, I won't get local support or repairs, right?
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 08:18   #30947
Senior - BHPian

^^This might help. International warranties are generally standard from big brands.
https://support.google.com/pixelphon...xel-3-xl?hl=en
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 09:47   #30948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks guys. I can tell my sis to carry the new Pixel. She is flying in from USA in December 2021. But if there is a problem with the phone, I won't get local support or repairs, right?
Good choice! You use the phone for full 2-3 years, and regular Android updates that come nice and early in Goggle phones will be a big plus. Knowing your affinity for smaller devices, I would suggest the regular Pixel 6 and not the Pro model; the 6 itself is pretty big, and Pro will take it to iPhone Max levels.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 09:52   #30949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is difficult to tell right now. Google may support international repairs but whether their service partner is competent we don't know.

Pixel 6 is new hardware including a new processor so repair-ability is unknown right now.

Chances that Google will bring the Pixel 6 to India officially are slim since they just announced the mid spec 5A which is what I am guessing India will get sometime soon.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:52   #30950
BHPian

Quote:
Usually nothing happens to phones, I am telling this from my personal experience (YMMV).
All phones in my family are from USA/Singapore. We have 4 iphones (iphone 11, iphone XR, iphone X, iphone 8, Pixel 2 XL, Samsung S8 Plus).
All are working absolutely fine with zero issues so far.
sagpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 12:48   #30951
One
BHPian

Quote:
But if there is a problem with the phone, I won't get local support or repairs, right?
Think of the phone as a car (but more reliable) and accordingly you can decide:
- Brand new first iteration of phones often have niggles (sometimes are hardware related)
- Your phone can face a windscreen accident (no fault of phone)
- The FNG might not be competent till enough spares and users are not driving the adoption of the phone in the country.

I have been burnt earlier by a Blackberry. Even the Apple ecosystem has had issues, the Apple 4 model had a massive antenna issue.

Fortunately phones are not as expensive as cars yet so sometimes a chance can be taken. This article (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)written by someone should help you make an more informed decision as a stop gap arrangement.

I personally would never drive a car not sold in India as I tend to keep my cars for long and one never knows who can crash it/ into it. Also cars these days have a lot of complex electronics and there is a new System on Chip being tried for the first time ever by Google which may or may not be the best driving experience initially. I mean in the worst case scenario, it is worse than a Skoda ASS because atleast Skoda has a service center and a car not sold officially in India will have none.

May the fone be with you...
One is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 13:12   #30952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Usually nothing happens to phones, I am telling this from my personal experience (YMMV).
All phones in my family are from USA/Singapore. We have 4 iphones (iphone 11, iphone XR, iphone X, iphone 8, Pixel 2 XL, Samsung S8 Plus).
All are working absolutely fine with zero issues so far.
I had battery swelling issues with my Pixel 3a within 8 months of purchase. A quick search online showed quite a few devices were impacted. I raised a ticket and the service provider B2X replaced the battery FOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
This is my service experience with Google and B2X, during the lockdown.
Battery issue
If it had been a model which isn't sold in India, I doubt they would have spares to render the service. Regarding warranty, Google doesn't mention anything about place of purchase but has a link to enter device details and check its warranty coverage. More details: here

There have been battery recall/extended support for 4XL. One can't say something like this won't happen with the new 6.
https://support.google.com/pixelphon...10169830?hl=en
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 13:49   #30953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But if there is a problem with the phone, I won't get local support or repairs, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If the Pixel 6 is not launched in India you will not get official warranty, support or repairs here as per the link in landcruiser123’s post. India being India, I am sure there will be plenty of unofficial support and/or repairs if required.

Excerpt from the link:
"This Limited Warranty is only valid and enforceable in locations the Phone is sold and will apply only if you purchased your Phone from Google or its authorized resellers."

Cheers

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th September 2021 at 14:35. Reason: Quote formatting.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 17:05   #30954
Senior - BHPian

I also wonder if there are region specific h/w capabilities and updates of the phone. Nowadays, things have become quite bespoke. If one is paying money for a premium device, better to have everything in the country-specific context.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:38   #30955
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a question regarding wi-fi calling:

If I use wi-fi call to make an international call, the call still goes through normal voice channels I think. Is this correct ?

Sample scenario with Reason to ask:
Phone: Vivo
Operator: Vodafone Idea
Internet provider: other

here, will wi-fi calling work - since mobile service provider and internet provider are different
If wi-fi calls are done, how will international calls be billed ? I assume it will be as a regular international call.

Wanted to confirm how it works, in case anyone has tried this.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 15:34   #30956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If wi-fi calls are done, how will international calls be billed ? I assume it will be as a regular international call...
Yes. If you're calling a cellular phone#, you'll be charged according to your billing plan with your cellular service provider, irrespective of what combination of networks and technologies they use to deliver voice to & from your phone.

Technicalities aside, VoWiFi is essentially cellular operators saving money they'd have to spend on upgrading their network quality to support VoLTE, by latching onto ubiquitous WiFi instead on compatible phones. Even better for the cellular operator if the internet provider is someone else, they get to use someone else's data bandwidth to service customers.

If you're calling via one of the collaboration services (Zoom, Google Meet, Teams etc.), then it's just a data exchange, whether you use your home WiFi or your cell service's data allowance.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th September 2021 at 15:46.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 18:50   #30957
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Chetan.

Btw, I was checking the Airtel's wi-fi calling FAQ's. One point there seem to indicate that we can do wi-fi calling only on the same operator (Airtel mobile with Airtel broadband). Will check this out with the Vodafone Idea connection I mentioned above. (it's not my ph, so will take a few days).
Old 11th September 2021, 18:59   #30958
BHPian

Unfortunately, today there is no such phone.
In my opinion, the best android phone is S21 ultra. But at 6.8 inch and 229 grams, its very bulky. S21+ is also bulky. S21 fits the bill. But the back is plastic (polycarbonate). Starting from 2021, Samsung has been using QHD spec for Ultra only. Both S21 and S21+ get 1080 x 2400 FHD.

I would buy the pixel 5a from the US. ( Assuming international service is supported. Please note the service is not easy even for the models sold officially in India. We have to courier it to their Mumbai office) . Its not a great looker though. But when you compare to the other google phones, its the best in terms of looks. Even the upcoming pixel 6 looks ugly and much bigger in size. Not sure why all companies are increasing the phone size.

My wife has been using pixel 4a for about 5 months now. Its a very good phone, with a smooth user experience. Once you experience it, the other UI/software like Samsung One UI etc will look very bad.
Quote:
Guys, my 3+ year old Samsung S9 is now showing signs of aging. What is the best Android phone on the market? Requirements:

- Fast performance
- Good camera
- Good looks
- Would prefer to avoid the XL-sized phones
- If something really kickass is on the horizon, I am fine waiting for its launch
- No budget cap

Thanks

Last edited by adithya.kp : 11th September 2021 at 19:02.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 20:16   #30959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... seem to indicate that we can do wi-fi calling only on the same operator (Airtel mobile with Airtel broadband)...
Doesn't appear to be the case.

Airtel SIM + ACT broadband at my end, Jio SIM + broadband with parents back home. It shows 'WiFi call via Airtel' every time I call.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 09:00   #30960
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need to buy a dual wall charger to fast charge my iPhone, OP7T etc. Any recommendations?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks