Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2022, 17:22   #31501
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I just saw the Samsung S20 FE 5G selling at Rs.28499 on the Samsung corporate website. This is basically M series pricing for an S series phone. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

PS: On top of that, you get free insurance and Times Prime membership for a year.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 20:40   #31502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can also consider the newly launched OnePlus 10R.. that comes with Dimensity 8100Max and performance is comparable to Snapdragon 888. The price is also within your budget. The benefit with OnePlus is that you have very little bloatware and no ads on lockscreen while in other phones like Realme you do get ads.
Yes thats what bothering me. Seeing ads after spending close to 50k is not at all a pleasant experience. Compared to plastic build of 10R I would prefer a glass build of 9RT. I think both are quite similar in terms of specs. Only concern is camera quality. Hope its good enough for casual pics and for posting on social media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
You can consider the Motorola Edge 30 pro as well, I remember it was selling for 45k on Amazon including bank discount. Moto has clean OS, an excellent screen and very good cameras (no telephoto lens though!). You can watch GeekyRanjit's review of the same.
The edge 30 pro and s21fe would be my pick in the segment.
Also, if you buy from Samsung website there's a 5k cashback on HDFC cards on the s21fe.
I would avoid the Chinese ones like Realme and Xiaomi in this price range as they usually have ads, bloatwares and problematic updates.
Thanks for the reply. Yes Moto Edge 30 Pro is a great phone but I'm just doubtful about the software updates from Motorola. I mean they usually push updates quite late.

Regarding S21 FE I read that Exynos heats up even while talking on call. That's quite worrisome to be frank. Don't want my phone to heat up doing such basic tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I just saw the Samsung S20 FE 5G selling at Rs.28499 on the Samsung corporate website. This is basically M series pricing for an S series phone. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

PS: On top of that, you get free insurance and Times Prime membership for a year.
Yes that sounds interesting. Just hope Samsung keeps pushing software update for this one.

Guys I'm really getting confused. S21 FE, S20 FE, MOTO EDGE 30 PRO, ONEPLUS 9RT/10R all are great phones. Now question is which one offers the most balanced experience. If anybody can answer that for me.

Thanks

Last edited by HappyRoadie : 3rd May 2022 at 20:43.
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:05   #31503
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I'm really getting confused. S21 FE, S20 FE, MOTO EDGE 30 PRO, ONEPLUS 9RT/10R all are great phones. Now question is which one offers the most balanced experience. If anybody can answer that for me.
I vote for the oneplus. They provide, as of now, several updates to the Android version. Almost unlimited. I'm still on Android 9 with my 2018 launch galaxy A 8+. But OnePlus phones launched before 2018 are getting Android 12.

Galaxy is much lighter by weight at same price range though. And the software on A and S series are usually more optimised. Consider Z series, to you are sure you want Samsung. That proprietary security feature is available only in A, S, abd Z series models only.

Between S20 FE and S 21 FE, I prefer the 21.

Also, S20 FE available in India is is Snapdragon version, not sure about 21.

Also, with almost every brand, the version available in India does not have wireless charging for models 1 or 2 notches below below top model.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 3rd May 2022 at 23:10.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:55   #31504
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes Moto Edge 30 Pro is a great phone but I'm just doubtful about the software updates from Motorola. I mean they usually push updates quite late.

Regarding S21 FE I read that Exynos heats up even while talking on call. That's quite worrisome to be frank. Don't want my phone to heat up doing such basic tasks.
Thanks
Better to have a late update than a crippled update . The moto is the best allrounder I guess.
The OnePlus 10R doesn't even have an alert slider which is unique to OnePlus phones. I use a OnePlus 6T and the alert slider is something I use all the time and so do lots of other OnePlus users. The 10R is just a rebadged Realme gt Neo 2 (watch Beebom's video on the same)... From rebadging Oppo phones, OnePlus has come to rebadging Realme phones.. honestly, i don't like the way company is heading. Their updates are also very buggy, Android 11 update to many 6 and 7 series OnePlus phones crippled the devices in a very bad way! If you still want to go for OnePlus, the 9RT is better than the 10R. Watch GeekyRanjit's reviews for whichever device you want to go for (IMO, he is the most practical & unbiased reviewer in India).

I haven't heard about the heating problem in s21fe. It is a very important mid-range device for samsung. It should not heat up in regular tasks at all. Sometimes, a new phone and a new update takes time to settle and may cause some heating.
Good luck

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 3rd May 2022 at 23:56.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 00:49   #31505
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Personal opinion, avoid OnePlus, the current software situation is terrible. I'm using OP9 and post Android 12 update, the entire experience feels so shi**y. Lags, frequent WIFI disconnections, heating..., all these feel diurnal now. At this point, I don't yearn for additional software updates and I might downgrade to Android 11 soon.

Go with either of the Samsung's, my mom just bought a Samsung A33; it's an excellent phone for the price and the software is so much better than the OnePlus's.
MotoBlip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 03:11   #31506
Team-BHP Support

This is the situation with OnePlus' current flagship. I wouldn't touch OnePlus with a barge pole until they sort their software roadmap out.

My backup 7T continues to be on Android 10 and works flawlessly. Update reminder pops up every once in a while, promptly dismissed.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 07:18   #31507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys I'm really getting confused. S21 FE, S20 FE, MOTO EDGE 30 PRO, ONEPLUS 9RT/10R all are great phones.
If you are on a budget get the S21 FE, or go with the S22/S22+. My colleague is using it (around a month now) and he is very happy with the device. And it looks like the battery of the S21 FE lasts more than the S22. I have the latter and it need a quick shot of charge by late afternoon.

From my experience of moving from iPhone 12 to S22, I can easily say that the Samsung flagships provide pretty good user experience. The bloatware is minimum, the camera setup is brilliant, and everything works as expected (almost like an iPhone).
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 09:13   #31508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

From my experience of moving from iPhone 12 to S22, I can easily say that the Samsung flagships provide pretty good user experience. The bloatware is minimum, the camera setup is brilliant, and everything works as expected (almost like an iPhone).
Unfortunately people still relate Samsung phones to bloatware. My Samsung S20 is almost 20 months old. I can vouch for this. Samsung flagships are on par or better than iPhones in most aspects. People who say otherwise mostly base their opinion on hearsay. I can't use my wife's iphone even for 10 minutes.
As pointed out in Samsung phone everything works as expected. I am on One UI 4.1 and the UX is so intuitive and user friendly. Getting monthly security updates as well. Not sure which other phone company does that now a days..

Last edited by poloman : 4th May 2022 at 09:17.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 10:21   #31509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S21 FE, S20 FE, MOTO EDGE 30 PRO, ONEPLUS 9RT/10R all are great phones.
As Chetan mentioned, I wouldn't touch the latest Oneplus. We have a Oneplus 5 and 7 at home, they are in their 5th and 3rd year respectively. The Oneplus 5 is in much better shape on Android 10. The Oneplus 7 had some sloweness with Android 11. The Oneplus-Oppo deal has shut the door for me. Couple of colleagues who own the Oneplus 7 Pro are in the same boat.

Not a fan of present day Motorola smartphones. I'll leave that to you.

Between myself and wife, we've owned 4 Samsung flagships over the years, all of them were nearly unusable in the 4th to 5th year like clockwork. They also load up with apps you don't need and are slow at version updates. If this sounds acceptable to you, go ahead with the Samsung.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 10:26   #31510
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
Personal opinion, avoid OnePlus, the current software situation is terrible. I'm using OP9 and post Android 12 update, the entire experience feels so shi**y. Lags, frequent WIFI disconnections, heating..., all these feel diurnal now. At this point, I don't yearn for additional software updates and I might downgrade to Android 11 soon.
Just ordered the S20 FE 5G for this reason alone (and also because the price was irresistible). Although it is only supposed to get another one or at the max two Android version upgrades, I would be much happier with a stable older Android version rather than the latest version infested with bugs.

Also, this model happens to be one of the rare Samsungs which comes with a Snapdragon processor, a charger in the box, and an option to expand the memory through a MicroSD card.

Hope this will serve me well for the next three years.
Oxy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 10:54   #31511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Also, if you buy from Samsung website there's a 5k cashback on HDFC cards on the s21fe.
Do check with Croma first. They have a 10K discount offer on HDFC. Price including damage protection plan (7999 one) is 57-58 K for 256 GB variant of S21FE.
NG_EV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:52   #31512
BHPian

Thanks guys for the response. So after reading all the comments I will not go with a Oneplus phone as most of you have advised against it.

That leaves me with Galaxy S20 FE/S21 FE and Motorola Edge 30 Pro. Realme is also out of consideration as I don't want to see ads after spending 50k. Will take final call after reading/watching the reviews online.

Regards
Old 4th May 2022, 18:06   #31513
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Just ordered the S20 FE 5G for this reason alone (and also because the price was irresistible)
Can you please share the final deal, if possible? Last I checked the price of S20 FE 5G was hovering around 35K few months back.
Old 4th May 2022, 20:28   #31514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I too considered A52s for a long time. But, finally went with Samsung S20 FE 5G.
I used Samsung Corporate Website and it clearly has best prices only (better than Amazon / FK). I was considering only non-Chinese brands, so did not consider Moto, Mi, BBK group (OnePlus, Realme, Oppo) and Vivo.
For exactly same reasons I too went with the S20 FE 5G some time back. It was available at a price difference of 3K as compared to A52s and sounded like a better deal to me.

Quote:
Guys I have a budget of around 46k. I'm looking Realme GT 2 Pro, Oneplus 9RT and Galaxy S21 FE. But somehow I feel 55k for the S21 FE is too much and also I'm wary about the Exynos chip that has been used. So with these things in mind which one would you suggest? Also are there any other options that should be considered apart from these 3? I just want a fast phone with good camera for casual day to day photos. Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Quote:

Thanks
Between the 2 FE options, I feel that the S20 FE 5G is a better choice as compared to S21 FE 5G. The price difference, at current deal of 28,499/- for S20 FE 5G versus 46,149/- for S21 FE 5G is too much for the feature difference IMHO. Unless of course Android updates are very important since S21 FE came with Android 12 and is promised 3 (or is it 4) years of OS upgrades whereas S20 FE 5G would probably get till Android 13. On a lighter note, S20 FE 5G gets a charger in the box and a microSD card slot, if that is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Can you please share the final deal, if possible? Last I checked the price of S20 FE 5G was hovering around 35K few months back.
On the corporate website of Samsung it is available for 30,499/- and has a cashback of 2,000/- on HDFC card. This is the price at which A52s 5G was going for some time back, so it is a very interesting deal in case anyone is interested.

In case anyone is looking for A73 it is available on corporate website for INR 38,329/- with cashback of 3,000 on ICICI/SBI credit card. Also you get Galaxy Buds Live worth 7,990/- for 499/-

Cheers,
S

Last edited by sukhoi : 4th May 2022 at 20:33. Reason: Added A73 pricing details
sukhoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 20:41   #31515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Between the 2 FE options, I feel that the S20 FE 5G is a better choice as compared to S21 FE 5G. The price difference, at current deal of 28,499/- for S20 FE 5G versus 46,149/- for S21 FE 5G is too much for the feature difference IMHO. Unless of course Android updates are very important since S21 FE came with Android 12 and is promised 3 (or is it 4) years of OS upgrades whereas S20 FE 5G would probably get till Android 13. On a lighter note, S20 FE 5G gets a charger in the box and a microSD card slot, if that is important
Hey what's your opinion about Moto Edge 30 Pro?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks