Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2010, 01:24   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
The galaxy 3 does not match Wave's screen clarity by far. Secondly the Processor, third the camera,fourth the looks..I can go on.
yes it can be better in those aspects but is not Android so was not recommending.

I had limited budget so galaxy3 would work fine for me in all aspects.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Since this is a Bada thread, more appropriate suggestion would be the 3 new cheaper Waves.
Can you please tell what are the names of these 3 wave models and how these 3 models are different from each other ?

I checked out a Wave 2 and a Galaxy 3 at Croma yesterday. The touchsceen of Wave 2 felt much more responsive and the OS was also very snappy in comparison to Galaxy 3.

Wave 2 is sleek and lightweight, and loaded with features. It is really VFM.

Rohan
Old 14th November 2010, 18:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Wave723 S7233, Wave533 S5330, Wave525 S5253 (from higher to lower priced).

The second and third one are said to be almost similar except that the second one has a physical sliding keyboard which the third one does not have. The 1st one has better specs on for most parameters; but screen resolution is same for all these models, which is a BIG drawback.

Can somebody tell me about navigation experience on these lower end Waves? Can you at least run Google maps using GPS? G maps does not seem to have Bada compatible version. How useful would the inbuilt GPS on this phones then?

Checked out the Bada store for apps compatible for these phones, and it seems quite uninteresting compared to Andy or Symbian.

Any comments, anybody?
Old 15th November 2010, 10:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Wave723 S7233, Wave533 S5330, Wave525 S5253 (from higher to lower priced).

The second and third one are said to be almost similar except that the second one has a physical sliding keyboard which the third one does not have. The 1st one has better specs on for most parameters; but screen resolution is same for all these models, which is a BIG drawback.

Can somebody tell me about navigation experience on these lower end Waves? Can you at least run Google maps using GPS? G maps does not seem to have Bada compatible version. How useful would the inbuilt GPS on this phones then?

Checked out the Bada store for apps compatible for these phones, and it seems quite uninteresting compared to Andy or Symbian.

Any comments, anybody?

All these Waves are for lower price segments. It is kind of revolution in market with these 4 new phones. Now horizon for using smart phones with down loadable app capability are within reach of many more persons.

All phones are equipped with GPS and it is working same as of other GPS. These is Java App for Google Map on these phone. Please check this out. Otherwise you can write your own app and publish it to AppStore. Its not a big deal.

There is different Appstore segment for these phones and Wave and these phones shares most of the apps sans OpenGL apps. Resolution of these devices are 240X400 pixels quarter of what Wave was (480X800).

Enjoy these phones to the fullest and am sure you will love to it.

Somebody asked for Wave 2: Wave 2 is having 3.7 inch screen width and it may not have AMOLED screen. Wave 1 would be there is market. Just it is short supply.

Last edited by anujmishra : 15th November 2010 at 10:04.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
All these Waves are for lower price segments.

All phones are equipped with GPS and it is working same as of other GPS. These is Java App for Google Map on these phone. Please check this out.
Are the maps pre loaded on the device, or do we need to download them ?

Is the GPS app free of cost or has to be purchased ?

Quote:
Somebody asked for Wave 2: Wave 2 is having 3.7 inch screen width and it may not have AMOLED screen. Wave 1 would be there is market. Just it is short supply.
Wave 2 is the cheaper family of Wave. Wave II has 3.7 inch screen.

Rohan
Old 17th November 2010, 11:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
All Samsung phones have Route66 Navigation software. Turn by turn navigation was free for a certain period, after which you had to buy the license. I'm not sure what is the situation now. You can download the Route 66 sync and the maps from ROUTE 66 - SAMSUNG MOBILE. Then you can install it on your pc and sync your phone.

You are right regarding the Wave 2 and Wave II. I think the Wave II was launched as a replacement to the original Wave, due to the shortage of S-AMOLED screens. The original difference that i could find is the slightly bigger screen and the screen type. The Wave II will have an S-LCD screen instead of S-AMOLED.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:29   #82
BHPian

I am planing to buy Wave 723 or Galaxy 3, as there are two different OS in them. Pls suggest me which one to go for Android 2.1 or BADA OS??

I personally like Wave 723 as the build quality is better than Galaxy 3 as it is really a fingerprint magnet but big confusion is OS??
Old 17th November 2010, 13:59   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
All Samsung phones have Route66 Navigation software. Turn by turn navigation was free for a certain period, after which you had to buy the license. I'm not sure what is the situation now. You can download the Route 66 sync and the maps from ROUTE 66 - SAMSUNG MOBILE. Then you can install it on your pc and sync your phone.

You are right regarding the Wave 2 and Wave II. I think the Wave II was launched as a replacement to the original Wave, due to the shortage of S-AMOLED screens. The original difference that i could find is the slightly bigger screen and the screen type. The Wave II will have an S-LCD screen instead of S-AMOLED.
But what about Google maps? Would this work on this phone just like it does on an Android or a Symbian phone? If not, I'll not even consider it.

Also, does this Route66 navi work offline without GPRS/EDGE (like Ovi maps)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I am planing to buy Wave 723 or Galaxy 3, as there are two different OS in them. Pls suggest me which one to go for Android 2.1 or BADA OS??

I personally like Wave 723 as the build quality is better than Galaxy 3 as it is really a fingerprint magnet but big confusion is OS??
The main issue you will find is with apps. Android will obviously give you way more choices for apps. So if you really require any particular kind of app., you need to check if its available with Bada. The Bada app. store is expected to grow with time though. If apps are not much your thing, then you could choose either, based on hardware specs.

Last edited by Raccoon : 17th November 2010 at 14:00.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:03   #84
BHPian

You cannot go wrong with Android, but remember that future versions of Android are meant to run on phones only with very high specs, so you can forget about any updates to the OS ( and Samsung doesn't have a very good record in this aspect ) . Bada is new and it doesn't have many apps as of now, but your phone should be compatible with future updates to the OS since Bada is designed to run on low spec phones very well. So while and Android phone maybe the best idea for now, if you plan to keep the phone for some time, a Bada phone might make sense.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to buy subscription from ROUTE66 website for navigation.

Quote:

Wait for sometime somebody from world may write free navigation software for Wave too.

Quote:

Rohan
Correct Wave PRO are cheaper family of wave with different chipset and lower CPU speed. But performance is very good.

Wave II will have same spec (1 GHz Snapdragon Processor) as of current wave except it will have LCD than LED screen.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:06   #86
BHPian

Quote:
But what about Google maps? Would this work on this phone just like it does on an Android or a Symbian phone? If not, I'll not even consider it.

Also, does this Route66 navi work offline without GPRS/EDGE (like Ovi maps)?
I think there is no native app for Google maps in Bada, but you can use the web version of Google maps.
Route66 works offline. you can save the maps on your memory card and use it without incurring data charges.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

^^^Web verson... but that won't work with GPS. Not good enough. :(
Old 17th November 2010, 15:39   #88
BHPian

IMO BADA runs faster compare to Android 2.1 with less than 1GHz Processor. So Galaxy 3 might be slower than Wave 723.

From the Samsung website I came to know that Galaxy 3 has no "To do list" and "Scheduler" which is a must have in our busy life. While Wave 723 has it all.
Old 17th November 2010, 16:20   #89
BHPian

Quote:
^^^Web verson... but that won't work with GPS. Not good enough. :(
There is a java version of Google maps which works with GPS. But there the app downloads the maps on the go using either wifi or GPRS/Edge.

The GPS solution on bada is definitely not as good as on Android or iOS. GPS wasn't my priority at the moment as my wife's 5230 has decent solution via Nokia's Ovi Maps. I'm sure sooner than later, Google will come up with a native app for Maps on bada.
Old 17th November 2010, 17:44   #90
Senior - BHPian

^^^I didn't see Java G maps on the G Maps site?? Anyway, assuming they have a Java version, is it same as the native Android/Symbian/iOS app? Does it have any disadvantage?

Navigation is a priority for me, hence asking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks