Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 16:38   #4006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

cool ok
buff deuce theme is available at ipmart for free. one of the better themes for the 9810.

have fun with your new upgraded torch
Old 24th April 2012, 18:03   #4007
BHPian

My BB is 8530(CDMA) model, recently I have noticed that I am unable to Add any new contacts or Edit any existing contacts in the phone book. Tried restarting the phone, also with removing the battery but no luck.
Any pointers to resolve this?
Old 25th April 2012, 16:02   #4008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
My BB is 8530(CDMA) model, recently I have noticed that I am unable to Add any new contacts or Edit any existing contacts in the phone book. Tried restarting the phone, also with removing the battery but no luck.
Any pointers to resolve this?
Did you try a MS outlook address book sync?See if that helps.
Read through few blogs and they say Yahoo Messenger could be a possible cause.You could probably try deleting YM and check if you are able to edit/add contacts..Will post more info if I get to know a resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
9780 is the best phone BB ever produced. Buy it. Period.
Agree with you on that..it is the safest bet in bold series!!
Recently bought a 9360, OS 7, battery is ok, lasts for a day with my kind of usage, keyboard aint that great (if you have been using Bold Series or 8520 before) and you get a sore thumb easily.Would be upgrading it to OS7.1 soon, which RIM says can tap the built in FM radio, wifi hotspot features and seems to have resolved the battery issues.

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th April 2012 at 13:04. Reason: Please use EDIT to existing post instead of posting a new post if posting within 30 minutes.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:20   #4009
Senior - BHPian

ok, i am going to be flamed on this but just wanted to understand -
a. Does BB support Skype (website keeps saying verizon blackberry) - can it connect and make Skype voice calls over 3G?
b. Has any BB user tried out the galaxy Y pro Duos? Its a nifty little device with a nice keyboard (looks quite ugly) but has alot of features, optical trackpad without the BB premium? and just seems to be a nice all-around device? though, honestly, the fluid workhorse BB interface is quite attractive and i get the sneaky feeling that the Y Pro may not be as smooth with messaging (the primary need).
Old 26th April 2012, 11:04   #4010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ok, i am going to be flamed on this but just wanted to understand -
a. Does BB support Skype (website keeps saying verizon blackberry) - can it connect and make Skype voice calls over 3G?
b. Has any BB user tried out the galaxy Y pro Duos? Its a nifty little device with a nice keyboard (looks quite ugly) but has alot of features, optical trackpad without the BB premium? and just seems to be a nice all-around device? though, honestly, the fluid workhorse BB interface is quite attractive and i get the sneaky feeling that the Y Pro may not be as smooth with messaging (the primary need).

Hi Phamilyman
1) Tried downloading skype client from skype.com/m but it doesnt seem to support vodafone/airtel sim cards.Not sure if there is a version released for our service providers.
2)hmm..not tried out the samsungs phones ..been a BBerry user for quite a while now
Old 26th April 2012, 12:59   #4011
BHPian

9220 vs 9780 vs 9790

Guys, need your help here. Wise opinion rather!

I wish to get a BB and these three are on my list. My heart says go for the 9780 as its been a legendary bold device. The 9790 is fairly 5 months into production and issues/ non issues still exist...and the new curve 9220 looks light and compact, plus vodafones offering 3 months internet free with it.

Main criteria for buying the BB is texting, as for apps I got the iPhone 4.

Does it make sense to buy the 9780 now especially since its a very old device etc etc. My reason for picking it is, its a well established device and I know os7 users still having issues. Anyway BBX will be a totally new platform, so why put in money on 7?

Budget is not a problem. Please give your opinions. Will be highly appreciated
Old 26th April 2012, 15:28   #4012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicha View Post
Did you try a MS outlook address book sync?See if that helps.
Read through few blogs and they say Yahoo Messenger could be a possible cause.You could probably try deleting YM and check if you are able to edit/add contacts..Will post more info if I get to know a resolution.
I have tried deleting Yahoo Messenger but still unable to edit and add contacts.
Not sure about and how to do MS outlook address book sync.
Old 26th April 2012, 16:01   #4013
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried deleting Yahoo Messenger but still unable to edit and add contacts.
Not sure about and how to do MS outlook address book sync.
Any other IMs that you upgraded recently, like MSN messenger?
Outlook contact sync is done via Blackberry Desktop Manager, where in you have an option to sync the contacts ie Device to MS outlook and vice versa, once the device is connected.
Or else trying backing up your device data using desktop manager,proceed with a security wipe of the device and then restore from the backup and see if that resolves the issue.
Old 26th April 2012, 16:49   #4014
BHPian

Windows Live Messenger turns out to be the culprit, deleted it and now I am able to edit/add contacts in my phone book.
Didn't try re-installing windows messenger yet .
Old 26th April 2012, 18:54   #4015
BHPian

Quote:
Windows Live Messenger turns out to be the culprit, deleted it and now I am able to edit/add contacts in my phone book.
Didn't try re-installing windows messenger yet .
Superb!!..looks like few recent versions of YM,Windows Live and AOL have such bugs...will send across the version numbers.
Old 27th April 2012, 10:48   #4016
BHPian

Re: 9220 vs 9780 vs 9790

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Guys, need your help here. Wise opinion rather!
=============================
Budget is not a problem. Please give your opinions. Will be highly appreciated
In my personal opinion 9780 is indeed a very reliable bberry sufficing the need of texting, emails, and other useful apps. The voice clarity,network reception and battery backup on this device is way better than I guess 9360 and 9790 (both running on OS 7).

I was using a 8520 earlier (a 7290 even before that ) and I feel it is a rough and tough fone.Voice clarity is decent,network reception was good enough,keypad was better, battery backup was good too.It has a slow processor though and a little less internal memory, but it did serve the purpose of texting/emails/maps/browsing well enough.

Coming to the 9220 curve, looks like it is an upgrade to the 8520.Its' got a new OS (7.1), new look, upgraded internal memory, built in fm radio etc, but has the similar display and camera specs of 8520.Not sure about the processor speed (whether its' 800Mhz or its' the same as 8520s),did not find this information on RIM website.Probably its too early to comment on this model. Since it is running on 7.1, RIM must have addressed issues observed with OS 7, hopefully!!
I feel for that price it is an okay bberry for 2G users who are more into texting, have large number of friends in BBM and other IMs, but again not sure how stable 7.1 is.

Owning a 9360(OS 7), few issues I observed with the device were, poor battery backup, network reception not good enough, voice(incoming and outgoing) is kinda muffled, and the device heating up occasionally. I was not sure whether these were pertaining to my device alone, but people who bought this model have come up with similar issues.Upgraded the device OS to 7.1 last evening and I feel the power saver mode has sorted out the battery backup issue for now and could tap in the hidden features like wifi hot spot and FM radio. So far the device is working kinda ok. Might observe for a week.9360s keypad is sure to get you a sore thumb unlike other BBerry keypads, probably due to its sleek design.

Have read mixed reviews of 9790, and I guess it is an expensive device considering the features.

So if you are planning to go for a BBX device and you need a blackberry at the moment, I would say go for 9780 It is a no fuss device AFAIK, the OS is much stable and it will definitely suffice your needs, though its expensive than 9220 and 9360 and is running on a lower OS version ..Ask vodafone for the same offer (ie free 3 months internet plan) with this device.

Hope this helps, just my two cents

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th April 2012 at 17:02. Reason: Please stick to 2 smileys per post
Old 27th April 2012, 12:22   #4017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicha View Post
In my personal opinion 9780 is indeed a very reliable bberry sufficing the need of texting, emails, and other useful apps. The voice clarity,network reception and battery backup on this device is way better than I guess 9360 and 9790 (both running on OS 7).

I was using a 8520 earlier (a 7290 even before that ) and I feel it is a rough and tough fone.Voice clarity is decent,network reception was good enough,keypad was better, battery backup was good too.It has a slow processor though and a little less internal memory, but it did serve the purpose of texting/emails/maps/browsing well enough.

Coming to the 9220 curve, looks like it is an upgrade to the 8520.Its' got a new OS (7.1), new look, upgraded internal memory, built in fm radio etc, but has the similar display and camera specs of 8520.Not sure about the processor speed (whether its' 800Mhz or its' the same as 8520s),did not find this information on RIM website.Probably its too early to comment on this model. Since it is running on 7.1, RIM must have addressed issues observed with OS 7, hopefully!!
I feel for that price it is an okay bberry for 2G users who are more into texting, have large number of friends in BBM and other IMs, but again not sure how stable 7.1 is.

Owning a 9360(OS 7), few issues I observed with the device were, poor battery backup, network reception not good enough, voice(incoming and outgoing) is kinda muffled, and the device heating up occasionally. I was not sure whether these were pertaining to my device alone, but people who bought this model have come up with similar issues.Upgraded the device OS to 7.1 last evening and I feel the power saver mode has sorted out the battery backup issue for now and could tap in the hidden features like wifi hot spot and FM radio. So far the device is working kinda ok. Might observe for a week.9360s keypad is sure to get you a sore thumb unlike other BBerry keypads, probably due to its sleek design.

Have read mixed reviews of 9790, and I guess it is an expensive device considering the features.

So if you are planning to go for a BBX device and you need a blackberry at the moment, I would say go for 9780 .It is a no fuss device AFAIK, the OS is much stable and it will definitely suffice your needs, though its expensive than 9220 and 9360 and is running on a lower OS version ..Ask vodafone for the same offer (ie free 3 months internet plan) with this device.

Hope this helps, just my two cents
Kicha: Thanks a ton for your reply mate! Really really appreciate it. My requirement is I just need a BB device for the moment, BBX not in the picture! The 9220 is priced at 11k, 9780 at 19k and 9790 at 25k.

My concern, and compared to the 9220, does the 9780 have just 256mb of onboard memory or is it 512mb? The 9220 also has the 800mhz processor compared to the bolds 624mhz, again are both enough? Apart from the radio and the dedicated bbm key, I somehow didn't like the Curves plasticky looks! But tempting offer by Vodafone of 3 months free internet makes it delicious.

The 9780 is an established device, to many people a legendary bold till date. OS6 is also stable, which scores brownie points. The 9790 is almost 5 months old but have mixed opinions from people using it, for some its been most stable, for some pretty worse.

Basically, I want a phone which just works for everyday use. Am not looking at a touch device as I use an iphone4!
Old 28th April 2012, 00:28   #4018
BHPian

@ Kicha, I own a BB 9360 as well. Please let me know how to update the device OS 7 to OS 7.1. Thanks in advance
Old 30th April 2012, 12:58   #4019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Kicha: Thanks a ton for your reply mate! Really really appreciate it. M
====================
Basically, I want a phone which just works for everyday use. Am not looking at a touch device as I use an iphone4!

Hmm..Agree its a tad confusing!
9780- Storage specs- 512 MB RAM & 256 MB internal storage, expandable upto 32 gb (mmc)
CPU- 624 Mhz, never had issues/sluggishness with OS 6.0 running on it.(with minimum set of apps installed of course)

9220-Storage Specs- 512 MB RAM & 512 MB eMMC storage, expandable upto 32 gb (mmc)
CPU-800 Mhz, not sure how the performance is, with OS 7.1 running on it.
The device in my opinion, probably is too early to comment, the pros and cons might be still waiting to be explored.

For 11K you are deprived of GPS, 5 mp camera, 3G, 480x360 display and a tried and tested model :-).

I guess the vodafone BB offer is INR 599/Month plan, free for first 3 months, so you could get to save INR 1800 (without including tax) on you blackberry rental.
Yeah, the BBM key, FM radio. OS 7.1 and the sleek design does make one lean towards 9220, but my personal choice would be 9780 at this point in time!

Hope this helps, decide soon and get a BB
Old 30th April 2012, 14:49   #4020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
@ Kicha, I own a BB 9360 as well. Please let me know how to update the device OS 7 to OS 7.1. Thanks in advance
You could probably download the OS update, based on the country/service provider at (BlackBerry - PDA Software Downloads - Support & Services at BlackBerry.com and then Click on Access your service provider download site.)

Not sure if the service providers here in India have released their official version of the updated OS for this model.Normally, you could download the BB Device OS selecting the country/service provider/Device Model and install it on your comp.Then, update the device via the BBerry desktop manager app(it shows update available once the downloaded OS has been installed).Usually works!
Also, you can find the OS versions released by various service providers across support forums and other BB related websites.
There are other thirdparty tools like BBSAK (Blackberry Swiss Army Knife) which could help you to upgrade the device OS.Check for more info on BlackBerry 101: How to install an official (or leaked) BlackBerry operating system | CrackBerry.com.
BlackBerry 302: A complete wipe and clean install of your BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com

Note:There are risks involved (data loss/device becoming unstable and unusuable if the update is not initiated in a proper way/ etc etc..).You could go through the demos/quick guides available on the RIM/Blackberry support forums that will give you an overview of the entire procedure.Good Luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks