Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 23:13   #871
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Today when i got back from college i saw a nice small package from fommy.co.in at my place.

As promised the package was delivered on Monday.

1. Dark Red leather back OEM battery cover for BOLD
2. Charging pod for BOLD

below are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-tbhp2.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-tbhp3.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-tbhp4.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 19th May 2009, 08:56   #872
BHPian

Nice selection. The battery cover looks great!
Old 19th May 2009, 13:43   #873
aZa
Senior - BHPian

thanx.

Next i want is a Black BEZEL or GOLD BEZEL
Old 19th May 2009, 14:05   #874
BHPian

Some application names in bold characters

Under Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications, in my Storm 9500, I find that some apps such as Google Maps and StormSlider are highlighted with bold characters. When I select them and hit the menu key, there is an additional option in the menu to Enable Compatibility Mode. Other apps which have not been bolded, do not have this option (which includes Opera Mini). What is this compatibility mode? Google maps has never given a problem and works seamlessly, and Stormslider also stopped giving me problems once the OS was upgraded to 4.7.0.141. Anyone experienced this?
Old 20th May 2009, 13:49   #875
BHPian

GPS on BB

Hi Guys,

I wanted to know if any of you are using the GPS in your BB? I have a BB Bold and presently on the Airtel 899 unlimited scheme. The device is able to hook upto the satellite and also tracks the movement (Gives details of the satellite which is hooked on to and the speed of the vehicle I am travelling on). The issue I have is that I get to see only a dot moving on the white background and no road level map.

Any of you please let me know if I need to download the road level maps or any upgrade required?
Old 20th May 2009, 15:13   #876
aZa
Senior - BHPian

@onesomeone : what application are you using ? try Googlemaps it supports navigation, there is another freeware for tracking and other gps activities.

BlackStar Website: Blackstar Navigation - A free geocaching hiking and navigational utility for BlackBerry devices
BlackStar OTA Install http://*******.com/gpsnav

Another link : Blackberry GPS Software and Reviews

Guys someone help me with the login name for the airtel bb site airtel.blackberry.com ? is it the email id that we make on the airtel bb server ? i'm confused ? I have activated the 1099 plan on vodafone but the mobilemail.blackberry.com (vodafone) site refuses registration saying the device is already registered.
Old 20th May 2009, 17:21   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
@onesomeone : what application are you using ? try Googlemaps it supports navigation, there is another freeware for tracking and other gps activities.

BlackStar Website: Blackstar Navigation - A free geocaching hiking and navigational utility for BlackBerry devices
BlackStar OTA Install http://*******.com/gpsnav

Another link : Blackberry GPS Software and Reviews
Thanks Aza for your reply. I have already downladed Google Maps..but was looking for using the inbuilt GPS which is more accurate than the Google Maps. I am unable to use due to lack of Maps available in the inbuilt application. Are you using any of the application listed by you? What's your recommendation, which suits best for Indian roads?
Old 21st May 2009, 00:13   #878
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Shifted to vodafone today, the migration was smooth. The PIN needed to be released from AIRTEL but the vodafone support was helpful enough to do it for me. nothing needed to be done on the fone. Just switched the sim and it was working. Btw airtel guys, didn't not tell me about the BWC and i had all the emails configured from the phone. Vodafone was better and now i have a BWC access

@onesomeone I used WAYFINDER, which used mapmyindia maps when i was using AIRTEL. But now since i switched on VODAFONE it refuses to work. Anyway i have also used GOOGLE MAPS and it supports navigation, the maps are decent too. Google maps will work even if you dont have a GPS.

I have just download the BLACKSTAR app, will update u with a review soon.
Old 21st May 2009, 01:37   #879
Team-BHP Support

hi guys, thinking of buying a blackberry bold. can someone please answer my questions. have really slow internet so i really cant read the full thread. will really be appreciated.

i have vodafone. if i buy an unlocked blackberry what plans are available from vodafone for it? can someone tell me the differences between the plans.

is there any newer model or upgrade expected for the bold soon? what is a good price in mumbai for it?

my friend has an unlocked tmobile blackberry running on vodafone. he dosent seem to have any maps app so i was wondering if it has gps or not? or does he have to load a maps app onto the phone?

thanks alot guys.
Old 21st May 2009, 08:42   #880
BHPian

Quote:
@onesomeone I used WAYFINDER, which used mapmyindia maps when i was using AIRTEL. But now since i switched on VODAFONE it refuses to work. Anyway i have also used GOOGLE MAPS and it supports navigation, the maps are decent too. Google maps will work even if you dont have a GPS.

I have just download the BLACKSTAR app, will update u with a review soon.
Thanks Aza, yes sure would love to know your review on Blackstar. Is wayfinder free of cost to download and use?
Old 21st May 2009, 12:55   #881
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Wayfinder is a paid service, It came preinstalled in my Airtel Blackberry. I guess it was a Trial application. Lastnight while coming back from college i tried to use the navigation on the Vodafone BB service and it refused to work.
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:33   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Under Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications, in my Storm 9500, I find that some apps such as Google Maps and StormSlider are highlighted with bold characters. When I select them and hit the menu key, there is an additional option in the menu to Enable Compatibility Mode. Other apps which have not been bolded, do not have this option (which includes Opera Mini). What is this compatibility mode? Google maps has never given a problem and works seamlessly, and Stormslider also stopped giving me problems once the OS was upgraded to 4.7.0.141. Anyone experienced this?
Thats the reason, the apps seem to be older versions orignally for the 4.2xx OS system. Hence they are causing havoc on your Storm with 4.6 OS running. Delete them right away and find some similar app or the same app's newer version thats compatable with the 4.6 OS. Oh and also many of the apps designed to be used with physical keyboard BB's also run on the storm this could easily be that as well. Like I used to use Twitter Berry but it was horrid. I suggest you find storm specific apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
Hi Guys,

I wanted to know if any of you are using the GPS in your BB? I have a BB Bold and presently on the Airtel 899 unlimited scheme. The device is able to hook upto the satellite and also tracks the movement (Gives details of the satellite which is hooked on to and the speed of the vehicle I am travelling on). The issue I have is that I get to see only a dot moving on the white background and no road level map.

Any of you please let me know if I need to download the road level maps or any upgrade required?
I think you are using BB Maps, BB Maps doesnt have maps for India sadly. Google Maps also uses the inbuilt GPS device on the phone and are very very accurate. So does all the other MAP software they all utilize the inbuilt GPS module to triangulate your position.

Quote:
Guys someone help me with the login name for the airtel bb site airtel.blackberry.com ? is it the email id that we make on the airtel bb server ? i'm confused ? I have activated the 1099 plan on vodafone but the mobilemail.blackberry.com (vodafone) site refuses registration saying the device is already registered.
Have you tried using the send password to device option under forgot password. Put your pin there you will get the details asap. And if that doesnt work (it goes fubar sometimes) use the friendly people at 55666 they will give you the details pronto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hi guys, thinking of buying a blackberry bold. can someone please answer my questions. have really slow internet so i really cant read the full thread. will really be appreciated.

i have vodafone. if i buy an unlocked blackberry what plans are available from vodafone for it? can someone tell me the differences between the plans.

is there any newer model or upgrade expected for the bold soon? what is a good price in mumbai for it?

my friend has an unlocked tmobile blackberry running on vodafone. he dosent seem to have any maps app so i was wondering if it has gps or not? or does he have to load a maps app onto the phone?

thanks alot guys.
There are many plans available depending upon your usage and if you need full internet browsing etc. If this is your first BB then I suggest you go for the Javelin as the BOLD is supposed to be the flagship device. But post here the price you are getting and I am sure fellow BB folks here will tell you is it a good deal or not. And lastly you've made a great decision to pick up a Blackberry go get it! You have the wealth of knowledge on the thread itself and the BB brotherin to solve your every issue. Do let us know and will help you each step of the way.

@ AZA : Congrats on the back cover and the cradle mate! I told you the fommy people are nice (a little expensive) you're lucky they have COD in Delhi nothing like it!! And you seem to be stealing the show here mate! BB Expert already?
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:55   #883
aZa
Senior - BHPian

@quickdraw : man i'm addicted

Just downloaded free Boltbrowser, it looks good and its 2x faster than the OEM one. Also downloaded a free callblocker.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:12   #884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

There are many plans available depending upon your usage and if you need full internet browsing etc. If this is your first BB then I suggest you go for the Javelin as the BOLD is supposed to be the flagship device. But post here the price you are getting and I am sure fellow BB folks here will tell you is it a good deal or not. And lastly you've made a great decision to pick up a Blackberry go get it! You have the wealth of knowledge on the thread itself and the BB brotherin to solve your every issue. Do let us know and will help you each step of the way.
well im getting an unlocked one for 27k without warranty and the official one for 32k. deciding which one to get. nope, no javelin for me, first bb or not, haha i want the bold.

well i dont need browsing but i want bb messenger and apps like windows live messenger and facebook to work. also would like gps to work. i assume i cant sync it with my hotmail account and it wont be very tough?

have used nokia series 60 for the past 5 years so know that very well, hopefully i get to know how to mess around with bbs soon.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:21   #885
BHPian

hi all

i want to buy BB bold ,will fommy.co.in be a good place to buy the same or any other suggestion
Also can anybody tell howz the battery life of BB Bold?

Most Viewed