Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 15:38   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Sachin where are you getting them? I am also interested in buying one since I can use it by connecting it to my wifi access. Do keep us posted on the availability.

The tablet itself seems to have some decent specs considering it being an really entry level one. Good for browsing the net and reading articles.

The specs are from their website-

Screen – 7” resistive
Operating System – Android 2.2
Processor - 366 MHz in addition to Graphics Accelerator and HD Video Co-processor
Storage – 2GB Flash Memory with 2GB Micro SD card which is expandable up to 32GB
Memory -256 MB RAM
Network – Wi-Fi Enabled
Connectivity – 2 USB ports
Battery – 2100mAh
Web Browser – DataWind Accelerated Browser
Modem – Inbuilt cellular and Subscriber Identity Module (SIM)

Students Version Price: Rs.1500-Rs.1750 (without SIM and GPRS facility)Students version has a wifi connection to access internet.
Retail Price: Rs.3000 inclusive of taxes (With SIM and GPRS facility)
No info as of now. Will post as soon as I get to know any info. if you travel, I feel GPRS is a must, wifi may not be available everywhere.
Old 28th October 2011, 15:52   #152
BHPian

Any feedback on Lenovo Idea Pad and Think Pad tabs launched recently?
Old 28th October 2011, 16:00   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Can anyone suggest the best tablet for under 15k. Need only wifi, 3g not needed.
If you can source from US, get the 10'' Acer Iconia A500. I bought it for $345, it doesn't have 3G, only WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth. It's a bit heavy but very good and supports full size USB, I am able to connect USB keyboard and mouse.

Guys: Have anyone tried to use android moblie phone as keyboard/mouse for the Android tablet. Lot of apps support from Windows-Android and Android-Windows, but not Android-Android. I wanted to connect the Tab to the TV through HDMI and browse it using my Android phone. I am yet to try BluputDroid, not sure it works for android tab.
gopinathann is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 16:36   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone suggest the best tablet for under 15k. Need only wifi, 3g not needed.
Again from the US you can get an Amazon Kindle Fire or Barnes & Noble Nook Color.
I have a Nook color and it runs on a toned down version of Android 2.2. Has wifi but no 3g or bluetooth. Supports flash and upto 32 gig micro sd cards.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 16:51   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Try Mercury MTab which sells for about 10k. Has capacitive touch screen, 1.2GHz CPU and runs Android 2.3

I bought one last week from Ebay. I mainly use that for reading books. Quite handy with its 7 inch screen and fast too. I looked at other options before I opted for this tablet.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 21:38   #156
BHPian

^^^ Thanks for the suggestion guys. But i am not looking at sourcing anything from the US. Would prefer to pick up something from Flipkart or Croma.
Whats your take on Creative ZII10, Reliance 3G Tab , iBall Slide and ViewSonic ViewPad.
Old 29th October 2011, 23:54   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have a Nook color and it runs on a toned down version of Android 2.2. Has wifi but no 3g or bluetooth. Supports flash and upto 32 gig micro sd cards.
I was wrong. Nook color does support bluetooth once it is rooted

Quote:
^^^ Thanks for the suggestion guys. But i am not looking at sourcing anything from the US. Would prefer to pick up something from Flipkart or Croma.
Whats your take on Creative ZII10, Reliance 3G Tab , iBall Slide and ViewSonic ViewPad.
I haven't tried any of these tabs to comment but when I was shopping for a tablet, none of the tabs on display at croma came close to the iPad or Samsung tabs. What is your budget? The US ones do ship to India, just that the cost would increase due to the customs duty.

Last edited by Jaguar : 29th October 2011 at 23:58.
Old 30th October 2011, 13:41   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I haven't tried any of these tabs to comment but when I was shopping for a tablet, none of the tabs on display at croma came close to the iPad or Samsung tabs. What is your budget? The US ones do ship to India, just that the cost would increase due to the customs duty.
My max budget is 20k. Couldn't find much between 15-20 so brought it down to 15k. But can go upto 20k.

Last night i happened to see 20North, which i hadn't earlier. They have listed Hp Touchpad @ 17.5k and Viewsonic Gtab @19.5k. How are these two ?

Edit : 20North seems to have a lot of tablets for under 20k.

Last edited by karty_83 : 30th October 2011 at 13:47.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:11   #159
BHPian

Hi all,

Am looking at getting onto a tablet. Besides the usual needs of browsing and entertainment, I am looking at doing some lite office work - mails, Documents & PPTs. I have narrowed my tech requirements:

10" capacitative display
1 GHz +
512 MB + memory, would really prefer 1 GB
USB ports for pen-drive / external drive
Battery life : 7hrs +
Weight : lighter the better
3G - good to have, not required though
MS Office Apps : are there free / cheap office apps available to edit and create MS Office docs / PPTs.

OS Version : in Androids want 3.0 (default) or a stable ROM available which can be installed. Do want access to Android Market for apps (do not know how well it works on ROMs)

Budget : ~$300 (buying from Amazon.com)

Had seen a few tablets:
ViewSonic G-Tablet : Good specs but battery life may be an issue and Android version (anagain any pointers on ROM will help)
Acer A500 : Good on all respects but at $350. Was looking at something cheaper.
Archos 101 : good battery life but seems it has only 256MB RAM (?) and Android 2.2 seems to be an issue. Otherwise its light at 0.5kg with good battery life and priced within my budget at $270
HP Toucpad : very good on many many respects. Available for $250 (perhaps people reselling after buying at $99) - is app availability an issue with HP Touchpad?

Any pointers for choice of tablet will be helpful. Need to decide in a day or two.

~maniac
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:49   #160
BHPian

The iPad2 is still the best ---if you can stretch your budget.
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:01   #161
BHPian

Would have thought of doing it had my expected usage been high. I expect low-medium usage but may need it for critical office work - in case it turns out to be productive and i can keep my laptop in office for most days

If that doesnt work it may just gather dust - so do not want to invest too much into it.

~maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
The iPad2 is still the best ---if you can stretch your budget.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:16   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Hi all,

Am looking at getting onto a tablet. Besides the usual needs of browsing and entertainment, I am looking at doing some lite office work - mails, Documents & PPTs. I have narrowed my tech requirements:

Budget : ~$300 (buying from Amazon.com)

Had seen a few tablets:
ViewSonic G-Tablet : Good specs but battery life may be an issue and Android version (anagain any pointers on ROM will help)
Acer A500 : Good on all respects but at $350. Was looking at something cheaper.
Archos 101 : good battery life but seems it has only 256MB RAM (?) and Android 2.2 seems to be an issue. Otherwise its light at 0.5kg with good battery life and priced within my budget at $270
HP Toucpad : very good on many many respects. Available for $250 (perhaps people reselling after buying at $99) - is app availability an issue with HP Touchpad?

Any pointers for choice of tablet will be helpful. Need to decide in a day or two.
Ignore ViewSonic tablet. It is not worth the money. HP Touchpad are not easily available now. Most are sold out. Archos has build quality issues and its support it not good.

Lenovo has good tablets which may come in your price range. Check this out: Tablet PCs with Android OS- IdeaPad A1, K1 and ThinkPad Tablets | Learn | Lenovo | (US)

Ipad and Galaxy Tab are very good but it will increase your budget. You can consider ASUS Transformer too which is a very good piece.

Toshiba thrive while a little bulky is very good and it is in your price range.

So imho, you should consider Lenovo's ideapad, Thrive, archos 101 or Transformer. If you have bigger budget, settle with ipad 2 or tab 10.1.

I don't know if you can wait or not but in 25 days, Black Friday is coming and you can expect some good deals on these tablets.

Last edited by chevelle : 2nd November 2011 at 21:17.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:56   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
HP Touchpad are not easily available now. Most are sold out.
Its available on quite a few sites online. The only issue is shipping it to India. While most of them do ship , its a question of reliability and time and in case something goes wrong, we are stuck.
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:21   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its available on quite a few sites online. The only issue is shipping it to India. While most of them do ship , its a question of reliability and time and in case something goes wrong, we are stuck.
Can you let me know on which website? I would like to buy it for $99 if available. Would be good enough when its android port comes.
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:47   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Can you let me know on which website? I would like to buy it for $99 if available. Would be good enough when its android port comes.
It is available on Amazon, 20North, ebay, naaptol and a couple of others as well. 99$ is a thing of the past now. Its priced at 226$ in US. On ebay its 15k and 20North is 17.5k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks