Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 12:29   #241
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Friends, I've just got a Galaxy Tab 750. I must say I'm enthralled with the device! Don't know about iPad, but I've never used anything so sophisticated.

Galaxy 750 owners in the forum, can you help me with couple of queries?

1. This does not have a default phone function like Samsung's earlier 7 inch tab. Is that correct?
2. I don't think USB dongles would work here (my Photon+) didn't. I guess the dongles are only for Windows/Linux, and not compatible with Android. Anyone knows an application which can make USB dongles work with this?
Old 10th December 2011, 09:19   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

I am having a small issue.

Downloaded a youtube video download software on my laptop and using which I downloaded a couple of videos ( .avi files) and when viewed on lappy works perfectly ( video and audio)

However, using Wi-Fi I transfered these videos to my Blackberry Playbook

When viewed in Playbook, the video is seamless and perfect but, audio doesnt play at all.

What could be wrong?
Old 10th December 2011, 09:56   #243
Senior - BHPian

Audio codec might not be supported on playbook.

Open that video on VLC in PC, that has an option to show Audio/Video codec.
Old 10th December 2011, 14:14   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Audio codec might not be supported on playbook.

Open that video on VLC in PC, that has an option to show Audio/Video codec.
Do you mean the VLC media player? If yes, i see its not there on my laptop. Will download it

After download, should i just open the video in that software and check the option for show Audio and Video before transferring the file to Playbook?
Old 11th December 2011, 19:11   #245
Senior - BHPian

On a side note - a friend who started off with iPad2 purchase in June is now completely on Macs (mac-air for wife/self and iMac for daughter). That's the power of the operating system.
/yes am an apple fan.
Selective - get it - with current USD prices, you may see ipad2 price escalation at some time, so don't think. The 3G in India is crap. Atleast in NCR i don't see reliable consistent service so little point. of course, if you spend alot of time traveling then 3G is a necessity. my iPad stays at home.
Old 11th December 2011, 21:57   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
After download, should i just open the video in that software and check the option for show Audio and Video before transferring the file to Playbook?
After installing VLC, open video in VLC and click on "Tools->Codec Information".

That would show audio codec that is used in the file. If that is one of the codecs that Playbook does not support, then file needs to be converted to have a codec supported by playbook (or reduce quality of Audio to be supported by playbook).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 08:23   #247
Senior - BHPian

Found interesting article about replacing Prime with laptop

Five Reasons the Transformer Prime Can Replace Your Laptop | PCWorld Business Center

While i agree on the article, we are still a little far away from replacing laptops with tablet.
Old 18th December 2011, 21:33   #248
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amazon Kindle - Touch & Tablet Version launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil.H View Post
I had pre-ordered the new Amazon Kindle Fire tablet, which was delivered to my friend who is in US. He will be coming to Mumbai in January, so will get it that time.

Anyone else here who has ordered or already received the Kindle Fire tablet?

Amazon has not yet opened the access to Kindle App Store in India, so i have asked my friend to load as many good apps as possible , which i can then use here in India.

- Sushil
There are alternate ways to use Kindle in India, just google it. Had bought one to gift someone and tried it out. Screen is really good also, quite good to hold in hand also. Gifting never happened so if i dont manage to recover the cost price, plan to root it and make it a full fledged Android tab
Old 18th December 2011, 23:32   #249
BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle - Touch & Tablet Version launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
There are alternate ways to use Kindle in India, just google it. Had bought one to gift someone and tried it out. Screen is really good also, quite good to hold in hand also. Gifting never happened so if i dont manage to recover the cost price, plan to root it and make it a full fledged Android tab
There is a video on youtube which describes the whole process of Rooting the Kindle fire. I used to think that rooting would be difficult, but in video it looks very simple.
Well, rooting will result in Warranty getting void.

Yes and i am aware of the alternate ways, already shortlisted some services which can make it work

Thanks,
Sushil.
Old 18th December 2011, 23:39   #250
Team-BHP Support

Dont flash now, the developers are still working on the various ROMs for Kindle. Rooting yes, its not very big deal once you get the hang of it.
Old 19th December 2011, 08:09   #251
BHPian

friends, i have got a viewpad 10s tablet with wifi/3G. have some doubts, after researching on the internet on android. (am new to android).
1.what are the stable ROM's for the tablets ? there are lot of custom roms available with various versions, but i am confused as to choose what...(finalised on android honeycomb os versions, but there are too many versions, too many intricacies, so confused). pls guide me.
2.can the tablet be made always to be in USB Host mode ? (i want to access external drives now and then, load/backup all my data daily). can the tablet access external dvd writers ? pls advice.
3.how to root the tablet ? how to install custom roms ? although there are lot of tutorials in the net, i feel unsafe to follow the instructions(on reading the disclaimer on "bricking"). pls give me steps in simple layman terms, as am a complete noobie on android.
Thanks for all the info. Cheers.
Old 19th December 2011, 18:53   #252
BHPian

My brother is looking for a tab, and we're considering the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the iPad2. The only problem with the Gtab is the oil slick issue and the iPad2 doesn't have flash. He intends to use it to read his case studies in class, and make notes, apart from browsing, video chat and maybe a few games.
The downside of the iPad2 is that it doesn't have flash (though I'm not sure of the use of flash, what does it do?). Given this, what would you guys suggest?

P.S the transformer 2 isn't out as yet, and this has to be bought within a weeks time. Also, when is the iPad3 launch?
Old 25th December 2011, 09:22   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Guys got this tablet a few days back and i must say that i am mighty impressed.

Pros:

-snappy 1.2Ghz processor
-4GB on board memory-now expanded with an old 8gb card-so now 12GB
-plays all video formats with proper scaling, the only video that did not play was a 3.85GB MP4 rip from a Blue ray disc.
-brisk internet on a EDGE USB Model with a regular airtel 2G card.
-Gingerbread native.
-plays all games as it supports OpenGL-no lag
-got a 1600 score with quadrant
-one year Indian Warranty with onsite support
-costs only 6.5K !!
-above average built quality
-ebay has sold more than 250 of these in 20 days !

Cons:

-poor viewing angle
-resistive touch screen could have been better-but not complaining at this price.
TOR, I agree with the pros and cons that you've mentioned. I picked up the 10" incher a week ago. Couldn't be happier.

The capacitive touch screen, android phone OS(doubles as a 10" phone), 3g sim slot & support, excellent battery back up and option to connect ext. media through USB are some of the features that caught my attention.

Highly recommended.
Old 25th December 2011, 11:44   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Guys got this tablet a few days back and i must say that i am mighty impressed.

Pros:

-snappy 1.2Ghz processor
-4GB on board memory-now expanded with an old 8gb card-so now 12GB
-plays all video formats with proper scaling, the only video that did not play was a 3.85GB MP4 rip from a Blue ray disc.
-brisk internet on a EDGE USB Model with a regular airtel 2G card.
-Gingerbread native.
-plays all games as it supports OpenGL-no lag
-got a 1600 score with quadrant
-one year Indian Warranty with onsite support
-costs only 6.5K !!
-above average built quality
-ebay has sold more than 250 of these in 20 days !

Cons:

-poor viewing angle
-resistive touch screen could have been better-but not complaining at this price.
It gets better. A firmware update is available for download.

Iberry BT07 and BT10 Firmware Upgrade Procedure – Piece of Mind : Reviews of Android devices, iOS devices. Talks about SEO, Wordpress, software development and online business.
Old 25th December 2011, 14:42   #255
TOR
BHPian

Thanks Vinu for the info regarding the update:

Kid has been 'abusing' the BT07 for sometime now. And it has stood up well to the torture a 4 year old can dole out.

Battery life is one of the highlights of this device and the OS is super stable. There are no additions to the 'Cons' list for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks