Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2012, 15:01   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Guys

Is it true that tablets like the iPad and Samsung Galaxy tab have no detachable battery? If yes, then does that mean that the device will have to be thrown after around 3 years into the dustbin? In that case it works out to be a very expensive item to own.
Not really! They can be replaced at any authorised service center.

When people say it is not detachable it must be construed as not replaceable by the user.
Old 25th March 2012, 23:03   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Not really! They can be replaced at any authorised service center.

When people say it is not detachable it must be construed as not replaceable by the user.
Thanks buddy. Does Apple and Samsung have authorised service centres in India for their tablets?
Old 26th March 2012, 09:10   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Here's a step-by-step guide for sideloading android apps to your Blackberry Playbook tablet.
Had a couple of doubts. Have you faced any inconsistencies with tap to zoom in your browser? For me pinch to zoom works fine but tap goes crazy occasionally.
When not using your playbook, do you leave it in stand by mode or sleep mode. Either way it seems to be draining battery.
Lastly at what percentage have you set the brightness level?
Old 26th March 2012, 09:13   #379
BHPian

is it possible to connect portable drive of 320gb to BB playbook ,and also could we use a microsd card thru usb adapter for data storeage beyond device capacity
Old 26th March 2012, 10:11   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
1)is it possible to connect portable drive of 320gb to BB playbook
2) also could we use a microsd card thru usb adapter for data storeage beyond device capacity
3) will i be able to access outlook express mail server using apps .
1) Playbook has female USB pin, I don't think you can connect portable drive to it as all portable drives have male USB pin
2) Again for micro SD card through the USB adapter, the above answer would apply.
3) I have added only my gmail, twitter, LinkedIn,FB account to the native email app of the Playbook. I have not even tried adding outlook express, so have no clue if it can be added. Try PMing,"neilguy" here on the forum, he would most probably have your answer.

But with regards to your query of extra storage, I am still not convinced with your concern. Playbook, comes with 16GB, 32GB and 64GB storage capacity. Last I checked online 64GB was available for around 18.5K.
How much more would you need on the move ? You would always have time to sync it with your system.
Also check out Samsung Galaxy GT-P6200, heard it's very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Had a couple of doubts. Have you faced any inconsistencies with tap to zoom in your browser? For me pinch to zoom works fine but tap goes crazy occasionally.
When not using your playbook, do you leave it in stand by mode or sleep mode. Either way it seems to be draining battery.
Lastly at what percentage have you set the brightness level?
Tap to zoom is inconsistent for me too. I mean the response is not so fast.
We mostly use the Playbook, when at home. So when we shut it down for night, we use Turn it off, otherwise thw whole day it's on standby on weekends.
Either way , the battery works fine for me. One recharge in 1.5-2 days for our usage, including game,surfing, ebook reading and some live streaming videos.
The brightness level is set at little below 50%.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 26th March 2012 at 10:15.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:44   #381
BHPian

finally bought BB playbook at croma y'day for Rs.13990 , currently updating the os , since am not much of a gadget freak getting used to touch & swipe .It is my first touch product
Old 28th March 2012, 22:22   #382
BHPian

Hi Playbook owners,
I've a problem. I had gone to purchase Playbook today and last day but all the stock I could find was all June'11 manufactured. I don't want nearly a year old stock. When were your Playbooks manufactured? The shopkeepers offered me to purchase the Playbook for 13.5k instead of 14k to compensate for the fact that it's manufactured 10 months ago. Still not acceptable for me. I can't even order from Flipkart fearing that they will also give me a June'11 stock.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:51   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Sony Tablet S finally, 3g+wifi.
Technically, it may not be the best bang for buck, but I am a total Sony fanboy, and you gotta admit, they DO know how to make good looking devices.
The tablet too, is fantastic.
the case was the first thing I put, but gotta tell you.
The wedge shape, the finish on the rear half, it is real eye candy.
Currently in update, though.

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-20120329-011323898.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-20120329-113835739.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-20120329-113846687.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-20120329-114022158.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-20120329-114039893.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-20120329-114045110.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-20120329-114054972.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-20120329-114109342.jpg

Last edited by mayankk : 29th March 2012 at 11:53.
Old 29th March 2012, 13:10   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Hi Playbook owners,
I've a problem. I had gone to purchase Playbook today and last day but all the stock I could find was all June'11 manufactured. I don't want nearly a year old stock. When were your Playbooks manufactured? The shopkeepers offered me to purchase the Playbook for 13.5k instead of 14k to compensate for the fact that it's manufactured 10 months ago. Still not acceptable for me. I can't even order from Flipkart fearing that they will also give me a June'11 stock.

i bought my bb from croma , even mine was june'11 , the packaging was proper with shrinkwrap and redington stamp and official warranty so it was not a cause of concern.

to playbook users ,

how to activate GPS and any suggestion for good navigation app.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:08   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
finally bought BB playbook at croma y'day for Rs.13990 , currently updating the os , since am not much of a gadget freak getting used to touch & swipe .It is my first touch product
Congratulations!! Do post your initial feedback of the Playbook.

Quote:
Hi Playbook owners,
I've a problem. I had gone to purchase Playbook today and last day but all the stock I could find was all June'11 manufactured. I don't want nearly a year old stock. When were your Playbooks manufactured?
How does it matter?
There has been no hardware upgrade to the Playbook, for which you are concerned about. There has only been software upgrades which are upgradable on all Playbooks, irrespective of the manufacture date.
Still , take your call.
Quote:
to playbook users ,
I also have no clue, though sideloading of android apps by installing brute maps might help.
I have not done it. As of now there is no offline map application for Playbook for free. Though I see various maps listed onthe appworld.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:04   #386
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded to OS 7.1 on my BlackBerry 9360. It now has WiFi Hotspot functionality! Of course, this is pretty much redundant when compared to the Bridge app, but I was wondering if I can use it with an iPad? Is tethering allowed by Vodafone? I have heard you need to subscribe to a 3G plan along to enable your BB to be used as a hotspot. Can someone confirm?
Old 29th March 2012, 16:24   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Playbook owners,
I've a problem. I had gone to purchase Playbook today and last day but all the stock I could find was all June'11 manufactured. I don't want nearly a year old stock. When were your Playbooks manufactured?
I bought mine on flipkart a fortnight ago. Haven't seen the manufacturing date but it should hardly matter. Apart from os 2 it is essentially the same as it was when launched. You can go ahead

Quote:
to playbook users ,
Some folks from CrackBerry have got Google maps working on pb. I am not sure if it was after rooting. May be we should check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post

I also have no clue, though sideloading of android apps by installing brute maps might help.
Have you tried sideloading android apps ? I mean other apps not maps. I have downloaded battery watch from store. It runs on android player.
Can we sideload any android app or only the converted ones?
Old 29th March 2012, 19:23   #388
BHPian

Hi Playbook owners,
I'm very thankful of you all. Earlier I was considering to buy a netbook, laptop, iPad or an Android tablet. I never gave any attention to Playbook. When I saw that BHPians are buying Playbook's. I researched about it, had a demo of it. Result? I bought a Playbook today!

Yes, it's June'11 manufactured. There are no newer stock. That explains the low price sticker. Retail price is 13,990 rupees. Shops can readily sell it to you for 13,500 bucks. I bought from Dass Studios, Connaught Place, Delhi. They charged 13,800 bucks. I didn't mind 300 bucks extra because I trust them the most, even much more than Flipkart. They're official distributors of a lot of companies like Blackberry and HTC etc.

Currently it's updating the OS and would not let me use it before the update is complete. So I can use it only tomorrow morning onward. I will post its pictures after I use it a bit. I don't feel like taking its pics before I even manage to see its home screen.

Hi all,
Please note that if you're buying a Playbook, look for sticker on the box showing new price, ie, 13,990 rupees. If the sticker is not there, I would suggest you not to buy it. The absence of new price sticker is rather suspicious.
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:14   #389
BHPian

Yesterday got my Playbook 64GB. As soon as I switched it on it started updating to OS 2. The total update was 507 MB. After updating only I was able to use it. It is just awesome. Very smooth browsing and though there aren't much apps for it but it is a perfect package considering its price. The screen is brilliant and camera quality is also good. Typing this from Playbook only.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:11   #390
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone advice on OlivePad VT200 - one of the cheapest tablet at around Rs.3500. I was planning to buy one for my dad for internet browsing. Has anyone had a chance to use this devices and what is the performance and reliability considering it to be a basic device for internet surfing. I would be using the WiFi for browsing hence would not need any other connection.
So the question is if this is worth trying out at all?

For the specs check out their link - Olive Pad V-TR200, Tablet PC India, Tablet PC, Android Tablet, Best, 3G
Specifications-
Processor1.0 GhzDimensions192mm×122mm×13mmOSAndroid 2.3 (Gingerbread)Screen Size7" Resistive TouchScreen Resolution480x800, 16:9Camera0.3 MP (Front) - OptionalConnectivityWi-Fi, USB, 3.5mm earphone JackMemory2GB Flash+256 (RAM)Battery3700 mAhSD Card SupportUpto 32 GBMultimediaMP3, MP4 supportedSalient FeaturesFlash 10.3 support, G-Sensor, Android Market Place, Social Networking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks