Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 10:45   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Guys,
there's new update to Playbook OS. This one supposedly improves the android support and gives better browsing and video chat experience. No major features added, just some improvement on the features available. The file size is probably around 355MB.
BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.01 update improves Android app support - SlashGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I got the Game from Apps for Playbook - PBVN.net
Regards,
Harshal, how did you install angry birds through this site onto Playbook? I downloaded directly on Playbook through the browser, but it didn't install,
as when I tried opening the file, it say "app not found". Where do I search for the file on the Playbook to install it.

I tried installing through connecting to my laptop too, but then it wouldn't connect through USB too. After connecting through USB to laptop, it immediately disconnects and says "it's safe to plug out the cable".

What to do ?
Old 18th April 2012, 11:04   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys,
there's new update to Playbook OS. This one supposedly improves the android support and gives better browsing and video chat experience. No major features added, just some improvement on the features available. The file size is probably around 355MB.

Harshal, how did you install angry birds through this site onto Playbook? I downloaded directly on Playbook through the browser, but it didn't install,
as when I tried opening the file, it say "app not found". Where do I search for the file on the Playbook to install it.

I tried installing through connecting to my laptop too, but then it wouldn't connect through USB too. After connecting through USB to laptop, it immediately disconnects and says "it's safe to plug out the cable".

What to do ?
You cannot download .bar files directly onto the PB. you need to download them to your PC and also have BB Desktop Manager installed in your PC. once done you need to run your PB in Development mode and then use DDPBInstaller and install the .bar file into your PB.

The following video should be able to guide you well. I too saw this video a couple of times before trying out my first "sideload" installation.

Its very simple and once you get around it the first time, its a piece of cake.

Regards,
Old 18th April 2012, 14:48   #453
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Fordmanchau;2749933]Guys,
I usually jump at the prospect of an OS update. But I guess holding my horses is better for this one. See this article by Alec Saunders, RIM's VP of Developer Relations.

Alec Saunders clears up the debate on the future of side-loading for the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com

He clears the air over side-loading and states:
"Starting with our next release of the BlackBerry PlayBook OS, we’re introducing a feature that will encrypt apps so they can only be run by the user who purchased the app."

I think if we update to this new release, the DDPB method of transferring BAR files onto PB won't work anymore, unless it is clear whether the developers who converted that APK into BAR legally purchased it.
Old 18th April 2012, 14:55   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I usually jump at the prospect of an OS update. But I guess holding my horses is better for this one. See this article by Alec Saunders, RIM's VP of Developer Relations.

Alec Saunders clears up the debate on the future of side-loading for the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com

He clears the air over side-loading and states:
"Starting with our next release of the BlackBerry PlayBook OS, we’re introducing a feature that will encrypt apps so they can only be run by the user who purchased the app."

I think if we update to this new release, the DDPB method of transferring BAR files onto PB won't work anymore, unless it is clear whether the developers who converted that APK into BAR legally purchased it.
You don't have to worry about it even a bit.
I have gone through all the 40 pages on crackberry.com thread on OS2.0.1 update to Playbook.
Sideloading can be done as usual. No surprises there.
Old 18th April 2012, 15:12   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys,
Updated my playbook to the latest version. Browser is now noticeably faster. Scrolling is a lot more smoother than before. Once the Page is loaded the checkerboard never appears on scrolling.
That apart it pretty much remains the same.
Old 18th April 2012, 16:06   #456
BHPian

there is also a live TV app , could watch couple of channels - Discovery / Turbo etc.
Old 20th April 2012, 00:19   #457
Senior - BHPian

Acer Iconia Tab A 510 released in US. http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...-treat-1076634

Quad Core + ICS + 32 GB

450 USD.
Old 20th April 2012, 00:32   #458
BHPian

Guys, the Playbook's TV app (which came with the 2.0.1 update) is awesome! It has several channels for free. No, not all free channels are crap. For example, Zoom (awesome for your mom/wife) and Aaj Tak. There are loads of Holly and Bolly movies free too. Free Holly collection is awful, free Bolly collection is good. One example of new movies is Paa and one example of old movies is Masoom. All channels and movies come with HQ option too.

There also a new magazines app. The price of the magazines are well lower than the market price.
Old 20th April 2012, 08:30   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Updated my playbook to the latest version. Browser is now noticeably faster. Scrolling is a lot more smoother than before. Once the Page is loaded the checkerboard never appears on scrolling.
That apart it pretty much remains the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Guys, the Playbook's TV app (which came with the 2.0.1 update) is awesome! It has several channels for free. No, not all free channels are crap. For example, Zoom (awesome for your mom/wife) and Aaj Tak. There are loads of Holly and Bolly movies free too. Free Holly collection is awful, free Bolly collection is good. One example of new movies is Paa and one example of old movies is Masoom. All channels and movies come with HQ option too.

There also a new magazines app. The price of the magazines are well lower than the market price.
Have you guys been running side-loaded Android apps *before* you updated to OS 2.0.1?

Any changes in that? I'm keen to know if they have been improvised in some way or reduced in functionality? There was some talk on encryption et al w.r.t. Android apps being introduced in OS 2.0.1 update.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:29   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Have you guys been running side-loaded Android apps *before* you updated to OS 2.0.1?
Yes.
Apps which were sideloaded before the update - works.
Apps which were sideloaded after the update - works.
Old 24th April 2012, 22:58   #461
Senior - BHPian

So guys, I sideloaded my first android app to the Playbook.
Did it in first one attempt and it's been working awesome. Installed Angry Bird Rio onto it.
Enjoying the game.
Anybody knows if Temple Run is available for the Playbook ?
Did anybody installed google maps? Does latitude /voice navigation works ?
Old 25th April 2012, 13:03   #462
BHPian

i am unable to connect my PB to PC after OS upgrade, does anyone face this issue .also how to delete uninstalled apps from Myworld .
Old 25th April 2012, 13:09   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
i am unable to connect my PB to PC after OS upgrade, does anyone face this issue .also how to delete uninstalled apps from Myworld .
Unable to connect as in? What's the error?

I am able to connect as before.

And no, you cannot delete uninstalled apps from My World. But why do you want to do that anyway?
Old 26th April 2012, 12:45   #464
BHPian

BB device manager is able to detect PB ,however unable to sync with BB desktop mgr , the following msg is displayed.
Attached Thumbnails
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-.jpg  

Old 26th April 2012, 13:14   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
BB device manager is able to detect PB ,however unable to sync with BB desktop mgr , the following msg is displayed.
Have you taken a Backup ? If yes then all you have to do is click on 'Update' and you are all set. If you haven't then on clicking update, it does a factory reset and you lose all your downloaded apps ,files and personal settings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks