Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 14:25   #556
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nexus looks like an excellent tablet. Want to get one ASAP.

Was looking at a small 7" tablet like the Samsung Tab 2 but this blows the Samsung away.
I agree - i was initially considering the "Kindle Touch" but read reviews that indicated it's not great for PDF viewing. So now am keen on the 16-GB Nexus 7. Unfortunate that Google not directly selling it here :(

Will now have to check with relatives coming from USA, it's not even clear when Nexus will ship (what is mid-July supposed to mean ).
Old 29th June 2012, 18:46   #557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
I agree - i was initially considering the "Kindle Touch" but read reviews that indicated it's not great for PDF viewing. So now am keen on the 16-GB Nexus 7. Unfortunate that Google not directly selling it here :(
I think none of the 7 inch tablets would give a good PDF reading capability.
Only the Kindle DX gives that comfort. Some how I never found pdf readers in 7 inch tablets very comforting.
Old 30th June 2012, 20:33   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think none of the 7 inch tablets would give a good PDF reading capability.
Only the Kindle DX gives that comfort. Some how I never found pdf readers in 7 inch tablets very comforting.
Thanks for the advice.

I re-thought about it, googled on 7 vs 10, and tried out both 7 inch and ipad tablets. Finally decided to go for the bigger screen and retina display (lets see how the higher weight works out). Just brought home the "New ipad" wifi-only. Will start the unboxing now

The apple store person told me that itunes doesnt work here (is it based on IP address ?), need to check older posts / google if there is a workaround. Just want to enjoy the setup for now ...
Old 1st July 2012, 12:21   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post

Will now have to check with relatives coming from USA, it's not even clear when Nexus will ship (what is mid-July supposed to mean ).
Reading comfort is a personal matter, some want big fonts some are comfortable with the regular ones( we read newspaper everyday in the same font size).

Somehow haven't been great fan of Kindle and/or Android therefore went for Blackberry Playbook with a robust OS, navigation/gesture features similar to now redundant WebOS(which were known as best amongst tablets).

And with rock bottom prices running on BB Playbook no Android or Kindle (or for that matter Ipad) can beat the overall value it gives for a Wifi tablet.
Old 4th July 2012, 14:45   #560
BHPian

Need suggestion on tab.
I am in market for a budget tablet.

Price :- 5K --> 8K

Feature:- Android,HD Video support,GPS etc.

Its for home use only. may only use for movie and internet
Old 5th July 2012, 09:39   #561
BHPian

I have done this before. Come here and ask for opinions and finally ended up buying nothing. Looks like its going to happen again

I had set my sights on Asus tf700. Thought it'll be out in April and I can buy it then. After a delayed launch (Its still not out in many markets!), I am still waiting/thinking about getting one for myself.

Windows spoilt it for me with Surface. Here you have a full blown windows PC with a tablet interface and a bigger screen with a great battery life. Can run *all* your x86 apps on it. Huh! the Asus tf700 just doesn't seem a 100% buy now.

I have been waiting for just too long already. Do you think its worth the wait for Surface or tf700 would be a good buy now ? If the tf700 came with the 3g/LTE option, I probably would have said to myself that the surface would never come with a 3g option and hence would have made more sense of the buy. Now, without the LTE model of tf700, it just doesn't seem right.

There is a transformer book with a windows down the line too. I am all confused again. Two things I can do now though.

1. Buy a nexus 7 / tab 2 now. Sell it off when the surface pro / transformer book comes to the market. Considering that the nexus 7 is relatively cheap, I won't be losing out too much as well. Even if I don't happen to sell it, its still a neat 7 inch tablet with 3g and would still be fine even if I happen to buy a 10/11.6 inch tab later on, 3g considering that I buy tab 2 (Which the surface won't be offering).

2. Buy tf700 now. Sell it off when the Surface pro / transformer book comes to the market. Tough proposition considering that Asus isn't a known brand and the depreciation would be huge. (The depriciation would almost get me a nexus 7 itself )

I know its all upto me to decide. But, I want your opinions on what would you have done ? Thanks in advance.

PS : No Apple products for me. Their closed eco system is a strict no-no.

Last edited by Kimified : 5th July 2012 at 09:41.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:36   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Need suggestion on tab.

See if something here floats your boat:

Tablet PC - Buy Mobile Tablets at Discounted Prices on Snapdeal
Old 6th July 2012, 16:23   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Need suggestion on tab.

Buy the Veedee D10, I purchased for 6790/- a month back, total value for money, Iam not regretting it, its a great first timer tablet expereince for me

You can buy it from ebay or directly from Veedeedirect.com

Another one making waves is the NXG electronic's XTAB A10 Plus, its got a IPS screen Priced at 7990/-,

NXG Electronics Pvt Ltd

Google search for reviews
Old 8th July 2012, 17:03   #564
BHPian

Hi all,

I need suggestions for a budget tablet which must serve the following basic needs:

Good Address Book functionality
Good browsing/email capability (with flash)
Video calling on Skype (no other software considered)
Photo viewing - good display
Wifi needed (3g is "good to have" but not important)
Capacitive Screen is a must

I am not willing to compromise on the above functionalities, and I am not willing to "test" out tablets that have not been tested out by the members already. But at the same time, I think the Samsungs are an overkill and this is basically for my mom, so extended usage is also unlikely.

Any budget tablet suggestions from anyone who have used any extensively? I am only looking at Android OS.

Thanks!

Prajwal
Old 10th July 2012, 00:26   #565
BHPian

Here comes My Budget Tablet PC : Micromax Funbook

After spoiling myself with Samsung Tab2 P3100, I needed another tablet which would be used only for browser and some basic apps and doesn't needs to be moved along, So instead of buying another 20k Tab2, and going through details of huge available tablets I decided on
"Micromax Funbook" Ordered it from Tradus.in @ 5995/-

It fits the budget easily, and i don't expect it to outperform those high priced ones, I hope its good for basic use and thats what I intend to do with it.

Tried ordering it from Indiatimes before placing order on tradus, which had equally good price along with in-complete details of Tata Photon combo but to my shock Indiatimes shopping cart was not working since evening till mid-night so I saved myself from buying from a store who cannot even keep themselves up for so long and in case of problem they'll have similar lagard support process that's what I think.

Anyway Lets see how's the delivery experience as 400 orders were placed thru daily deal on tradus.
Old 10th July 2012, 01:44   #566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Here comes My Budget Tablet PC : Micromax Funbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
After spoiling myself with Samsung Tab2 P3100, I needed another tablet which would be used only for browser and some basic apps and doesn't needs to be moved along, So instead of buying another 20k Tab2, and going through details of huge available tablets I decided on
"Micromax Funbook" Ordered it from Tradus.in @ 5995/-

It fits the budget easily, and i don't expect it to outperform those high priced ones, I hope its good for basic use and thats what I intend to do with it.

Tried ordering it from Indiatimes before placing order on tradus, which had equally good price along with in-complete details of Tata Photon combo but to my shock Indiatimes shopping cart was not working since evening till mid-night so I saved myself from buying from a store who cannot even keep themselves up for so long and in case of problem they'll have similar lagard support process that's what I think.

Anyway Lets see how's the delivery experience as 400 orders were placed thru daily deal on tradus.

Indiatimes has a very poor reputation. You were probably lucky that the cart wasn't working. Though recently they seem to be improving, going by people's experiences. Tradus is a much better option.

Do give a review Funbook after get it.

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th July 2012 at 01:46.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:55   #567

^
The Micromax Funbook is nothing but a rebranded Veedee D10, which in turn is a rebranded Ployer Momo 9, you would have been better off if you had bought a Veedee D10 as it has a better battery life and not locked to a Tata Photon Dongle, further it has a 8 GB memory compared to 4GB offered in the funbook, Home shop 18 offers Veedee D10 @6790/- with a coupon discount of Rs 500/- bringing the price down to Rs. 6250/- free shipping
Old 11th July 2012, 01:38   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOKSIN View Post
^
The Micromax Funbook is nothing but a rebranded Veedee D10, which in turn is a rebranded Ployer Momo 9, you would have been better off if you had bought a Veedee D10 as it has a better battery life and not locked to a Tata Photon Dongle, further it has a 8 GB memory compared to 4GB offered in the funbook, Home shop 18 offers Veedee D10 @6790/- with a coupon discount of Rs 500/- bringing the price down to Rs. 6250/- free shipping
Thanks for the info, But as its already ordered and paid, no chance of changing it.
Also micromax has better reachable service network so it makes some sense.
However to clear your doubt, Funbook is not locked to any specific usb dongle, it can be used with any huawei dongle which has a mobile partner setup embedded.

Will post details once the tablet is delivered.
Old 11th July 2012, 02:23   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOKSIN View Post
^
Thanks, that was useful info. Any idea about the service of Veedee?
Old 11th July 2012, 13:27   #570

@ghpk

Initally it comes locked to Tata Photon, maybe experts here can unlock it to work on other dongles too.

@Racoon

They have a 1 year pick and drop service warranty, I haven't till date needed such assistance, so cant say how good they are in pick and drop service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks