Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 09:58   #616
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Have seen the Zync Tab Z999 for the first time.
Initial impressions are ok. Would write soon a review.

Only thing remaining to test is the use of photon+ for surfing. Can someone tell me what is the cable used for connecting usb dongle to the mini USB port called?
Old 21st July 2012, 12:03   #617
Senior - BHPian

Finally after lot of contemplation, got myself Tab2 p310.

Bought it from Hotspot for 19,200, also bought a cover for 1000 rs for a nearby mobile shop though has given it back for replacement as it was not snugly fitting, will also be getting a screen guard, was quoted 350 for something with frost technology.

Anyway as for the tab, the Android platform is very advanced compared to basic chat c322 I was using. I have a feeling that it will take me a while to get the hang of the things.

Tried making a call using the inbuilt head phone and the sound quality is plain pathetic, things surely get a little better with speaker on. The headphones supplied with the box are very good and can be used for calling as the clarity was very good. Though in long run BT headset is the only option, will get a HM1100 soon.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:33   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Have seen the Zync Tab Z999 for the first time.
Initial impressions are ok. Would write soon a review.

Only thing remaining to test is the use of photon+ for surfing. Can someone tell me what is the cable used for connecting usb dongle to the mini USB port called?
Why would anyone buy a Zync Z999 for 12000 odd bucks, when he can get a Blackberry Playbook by spending some 1500 bucks extra, The Zync Z999 specifications are pathetic for a 12K tab.
Old 21st July 2012, 16:52   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOKSIN View Post
Why would anyone buy a Zync Z999 for 12000 odd bucks, when he can get a Blackberry Playbook by spending some 1500 bucks extra, The Zync Z999 specifications are pathetic for a 12K tab.
Specifications may be pathetic but still it is an android
Old 21st July 2012, 17:05   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Finally after lot of contemplation, got myself Tab2 p310.

Bought it from Hotspot for 19,200, also bought a cover for 1000 rs for a nearby mobile shop though has given it back for replacement as it was not snugly fitting, will also be getting a screen guard, was quoted 350 for something with frost technology.

Anyway as for the tab, the Android platform is very advanced compared to basic chat c322 I was using. I have a feeling that it will take me a while to get the hang of the things.

Tried making a call using the inbuilt head phone and the sound quality is plain pathetic, things surely get a little better with speaker on. The headphones supplied with the box are very good and can be used for calling as the clarity was very good. Though in long run BT headset is the only option, will get a HM1100 soon.
I bought the same for my bro 2 days back, you can see the same on the previous page.

Accessories -

1) Case - Rs. 1000
2) Jabra bluetooth headset - Rs. 1400
3) Scratch guard - Rs. 500
4) USB connection kit - free
Old 21st July 2012, 19:50   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Any recommendation on Tablets for reading pdf's? Problem with cheap ones is that they have low-res screens and probably won't be as good as high-res ones to read ebooks. iPad 3 seems to have awesome resolution and great for reading but is too pricey and probably won't read pdf's directly. Am I right here? Any cheaper options which would also be good enough for reading for say atleast an hour and half?
Seriously? No one has ever used a Tablet for reading? Can someone through some light. I checked the new iPad, it has an awesome screen for reading, photo viewing etc but I'm still not sure about iPad due to all these restrictions of using iTunes for uploading even a simple file.
Old 21st July 2012, 20:31   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously? No one has ever used a Tablet for reading? Can someone through some light. I checked the new iPad, it has an awesome screen for reading, photo viewing etc but I'm still not sure about iPad due to all these restrictions of using iTunes for uploading even a simple file.
if its only and only reading then amazon's kindle is your thing. But I dont know how good is the support in India. you can buy one on ebay I guess. It would be cheaper than the ipad.

If your budget is 20k then you can buy the ipad2. 16 GB one is available for about 21k I think.
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:28   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
if its only and only reading then amazon's kindle is your thing. But I dont know how good is the support in India. you can buy one on ebay I guess. It would be cheaper than the ipad.

If your budget is 20k then you can buy the ipad2. 16 GB one is available for about 21k I think.
Thanks buddy. But Kindle is only for reading I suppose? I want a Tablet which can do other stuff too (browsing and occasional movie, games). Budget is not a big constraint here but max would be 30k around. 16GB will be bit too less I guess that too considering no memory expansion slot on iPads. Samsung or other Androids would have memory expansion slots avaiable if I'm not wrong. 32gb iPad is 36k at Croma when I checked it yesterday :(. Is there any other place to get some better prices on iPads?
And how much useful is 3G considering the Tablet would be mostly used at home or may be while flying? Wi-Fi should be sufficient enough for most of the time I suppose?

Last edited by kaushik_s : 22nd July 2012 at 12:29.
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:19   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I bought the same for my bro 2 days back, you can see the same on the previous page.

Accessories -

1) Case - Rs. 1000
2) Jabra bluetooth headset - Rs. 1400
3) Scratch guard - Rs. 500
4) USB connection kit - free
Even I got the case now though opted for a different one, this one is not as haute looking as the first one but this seems be more protective in nature as it covers the tab very nicely.

Also got the HM1100 for 900 Rs, will keep the screen guard on the hold for a while as the new case will keep the original screen guard there for a while.

Yesterday went out for the very first time with the mammoth tablet phone of mine and to my surprise I managed to keep in my jeans rear pocket. This is the one major concern with the Tab, the size and it's practicality as a phone. Lets see how its fair in long run.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:44   #625
BHPian

Hey guys need some help here. I need a tablet basically to view pdf files, browse the net and watch some movies.Will not need the 3g version, will use my phone as a hotspot when net is needed.I am not in favour of 7 inch tabs since pdfs are not pleasing to read on them(personal view) and movies look good on big screens,so wanted to know if there are any decent 10.1 inch tabs available for about 20 to 25k(max!!)?? if there are no good 10.1 tabs then i might be forced to get the smaller 7 inch ones. The only options available here that i know of are:
1.moto xoom wifi
2.Lenovo ideapad k1
3. Sony tablet s wifi

I am leaning towards the moto xoom but not sure about the screen quality(viewing angles,refectiveness ....),is it any good??
there might be a possibility of some relatives going to the US, where i will surely get the asus transformer tf300, cost about 21k but that is only a possibility.

any help will be appreciated!
Old 24th July 2012, 20:13   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. But Kindle is only for reading I suppose? I want a Tablet which can do other stuff too (browsing and occasional movie, games). Budget is not a big constraint here but max would be 30k around. 16GB will be bit too less I guess that too considering no memory expansion slot on iPads. Samsung or other Androids would have memory expansion slots avaiable if I'm not wrong. 32gb iPad is 36k at Croma when I checked it yesterday :(. Is there any other place to get some better prices on iPads?
And how much useful is 3G considering the Tablet would be mostly used at home or may be while flying? Wi-Fi should be sufficient enough for most of the time I suppose?
well if your budget is 30k types then go for the ipad (this from an Apple hater actually!) For me, price is the only problem with the new ipad! It is ridiculously expensive (but also ridiculously good!) 16GB is mostly good enough. As you said if you are gonna use it mostly at home then you can keep most of your stuff like movies on the cloud. Just keep your essential music/photos etc on the flash.

As for best price, watch out for homestop18 deals if you are not in a hurry. Otherwise, nothing beats ebay these days.
Old 26th July 2012, 21:10   #627
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Gents,

Sincerely Need your advice. I have decided to be tablet ted and being a big fan of Open source, i am going for a Android tablet. My criterion is

1 ) a reader
2 ) 10 Inch screen .I like Big screens .
3 ) HDMI output
4 ) GPS Enabled.

and above all Must be 3 G . I am not sure but this tablet has a bluetooth as well , so ideally i should be able to make and receive calls as well . Not sure pls correct me if i am wrong as i have seen my friend making calls from a samsung tablet .

Keeping above in view , I Selected Motorola XOOM MZ601 . I am getting a New Unlocked One for Some 390 USD ( 22k INR ) . Just need members feedback On same and if i have better and cheap options available in US. I still have 15 days to go, so can wait . Looking for possible pro and cons from those who are using tablets .

Surprisingly i am unable to see this tablet listed on motorola US website. i hope they has not discontinued it .

Below is Link
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_xoom_mz601-3834.php

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 26th July 2012 at 21:20.
Old 27th July 2012, 01:35   #628
Senior - BHPian

To all those buying tabs mainly for ebook reading, and upwards of 20 k; I can't help but wonder how many books one can buy with that much money...

And NOTHING compares to reading a book the good old fashioned way. Other things aside, all these screens are a disaster on the eyes (don't know about Kindle and the like. Have not seen one).
Old 27th July 2012, 16:28   #629
BHPian

Just got my Ainol AURORA, fantastic tablet with IPS screen and gorilla glass. For 8K its perfect VFM. Also bought keyboard + cover for 600rs and works like a charm. If anyone is looking less expensive but performance packed tablet, will recommend Ainol AURORA.

Ensure you shift Feiyu rom once you get it and you are done.
Old 27th July 2012, 21:58   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Just got my Ainol AURORA, fantastic tablet with IPS screen and gorilla glass. For 8K its perfect VFM. Also bought keyboard + cover for 600rs and works like a charm. If anyone is looking less expensive but performance packed tablet, will recommend Ainol AURORA.

Ensure you shift Feiyu rom once you get it and you are done.
How good is it with respect to following all the rules like FCC? Like radiation and stuff.

thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks