Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 09:47   #271
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^
What you say about the I20 diesel is similar to the Honda Jazz petrol engine I drive. It's slow below 1800-2000 rpm, particularly in 3rd gear and above. But once above 2000 rpm, it's as if the engine wakes up and acceleration becomes very strong, above 3000 rpm it gives the feeling of a different engine altogether and it revs happily to the redline of around 7000 rpm.
Now, I don't drive normally below 2000 rpm.

See, you do have the answer for that problem too
It is just getting "USED TO" the driving technique. Thats it.
It hardly takes around 1 week time to get used to the new car's torque curve.
Actually I was a petrolhead before and most of the time I used to drive a swift petrol. I changed to the i20 diesel, and yes first I had some confusions. But adjusted within no time.
Old 31st August 2015, 09:53   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+1.

Jazz is truly a masterpiece in packaging from Honda and there is so much of space inside. Personally I haven't experienced the backseat ride comfort but the space on offer seems really good and it matters for a chauffeur driven car. Engines don't matter here since they have a paid driver anyways.

But there is a catch. Spent 50k more than the Jazz SV (7.20 v/s 6.66 I think), and you get the Aspire Titanium plus variant which has 6 airbags. That's the only car on offer currently (other than the Micra Safety Pack IIRC) which offers rear passenger protection. The Jazz SV would provide airbags only for the driver.

Space - Jazz.
Safety- Aspire. (At a small premium)
I agree with you but small correction - the Jazz SV offers DUAL airbags and ABS. The Aspire titanium+ is truly a great offering as it offers 6 airbags in a reasonable price.

Though engine might not be important in this case, in general, the Aspire petrol loses out on the engine to competitors but the diesel Aspire makes a strong case particularly the Titanium+ variant (provided people are fine with the looks/features/interiors). I did mention the same in my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
See, you do have the answer for that problem too
It is just getting "USED TO" the driving technique. Thats it.
It hardly takes around 1 week time to get used to the new car's torque curve.
Actually I was a petrolhead before and most of the time I used to drive a swift petrol. I changed to the i20 diesel, and yes first I had some confusions. But adjusted within no time.
Agreed, but the only thing is that the transition for some people like you and me might be easy and natural while for some people it might not be that easy and they might find it irritating.

Last edited by adimicra : 31st August 2015 at 09:56.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 10:02   #273
BHPian

@adimicra

I perfectly agree.
BTB, I am gonna be the first person in this forum with a diesel Elite & a petrol Jazz at my porch. Kudos to me :P

Mods, friendly talk, please dont threaten. I am off with this one
vishnurajanme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 14:56   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Guys, I guess this is the best place to ask. My in-laws were looking for a new hatch and as the car enthusiast of the family its down to me to choose. Its either between the Jazz 'S' for 7.3 lakhs and the i20 Elite sportz for 7.71.
I think if your choice is strictly between the above mentioned variants of above mentioned cars, you should go for the Jazz if:
> your in-laws, who would be spending time in the back seat, are heavily built people who might require more space of the Jazz
> or are senior citizens with weak knees, who would prefer the higher seating position and easier ingress-egress of the Jazz

If the above points are not applicable, you must go for the i20. Depending on which city they live in, they might also enjoy the rear cooling vents of the i20's climate control. Please go through my detailed post above (dated August 30) where I have listed down my reasons for choosing the i20 Sportz over the Jazz SV. You might find it useful.

For highway runs of course the multiple airbags could prove to be very useful but in city driving conditions the practicality of having them is debatable.
Old 31st August 2015, 15:34   #275
BHPian

Hi, I am planning to buy a premium hatch around March or April, 2016 and Elite i20 is so far the top contender.

Can someone please tell me if a refreshed version of the car is in the pipeline? As in August 2016, the Elite i20 would be completing two years in the market and that is the time when manufacturers usually go for a mid life refresh.

So, would it be wise on my part to postpone the decision to buy the car by a few months?
Old 31st August 2015, 15:38   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
Hi, I am planning to buy a premium hatch around March or April, 2016 and Elite i20 is so far the top contender.

Can someone please tell me if a refreshed version of the car is in the pipeline? As in August 2016, the Elite i20 would be completing two years in the market and that is the time when manufacturers usually go for a mid life refresh.

So, would it be wise on my part to postpone the decision to buy the car by a few months?
I dont think they have plans for that. They have announced an N-Spec variant with 115ps power for the European market but none for India as for now. Afterall they have updated their lineup with a new variant recently (ASTA O) and I guess, they dont have plans to come up with a refreshed version
Old 31st August 2015, 16:17   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
Guess the only reason why Hyundai would leave out this feature from their other wise perfect premium hatch is fact that it has no confidence in its engines and does not want to shock its customers with abysmal FE numbers.
Haha. Not sure about that yet. I'm yet calculate the FE figures on my petrol i20. Will report the figures I get. But I'm just hoping what you said is not true! I already have one low FE car in the Ertiga petrol. Another thirsty vehicle would be a bummer.
Old 31st August 2015, 16:18   #278
BHPian

Any specific reason why VW Polo has not been considered ? Its similar from Price perspective as well.. From this choice i would select Jazz even for the mature looks and overall Real estate.
Old 1st September 2015, 12:50   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrnl_Cmbstn View Post
Haha. Not sure about that yet. I'm yet calculate the FE figures on my petrol i20. Will report the figures I get. But I'm just hoping what you said is not true! I already have one low FE car in the Ertiga petrol. Another thirsty vehicle would be a bummer.
Petrol i20 is a drunkard. Dont give anything more than 14 even with sedate driving. If you need to know FE, you can use ELM327 paired with your phone. I have given steps a few pages back in this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Any specific reason why VW Polo has not been considered ? Its similar from Price perspective as well.. From this choice i would select Jazz even for the mature looks and overall Real estate.
POLO = Performance!
But VERY high on maintenance, No space, No features etc

After all this is a forum for Elite vs Jazz comparison. These are the only 2 vehicles that looks good to compare.
Old 1st September 2015, 15:21   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Petrol i20 is a drunkard. Dont give anything more than 14 even with sedate driving. If you need to know FE, you can use ELM327 paired with your phone. I have given steps a few pages back in this forum
14 doesn't sound too bad if these are figures for city driving. What FE would the Jazz deliver then? My petrol ertiga gives me just 10. The figure goes up to 12.5 or 13 if driven sedately on an open highway (i.e. not exceeding 90kph and always in 5th gear). But that's not my style of driving so I always get 10 when I drive.
Old 1st September 2015, 16:41   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrnl_Cmbstn View Post
14 doesn't sound too bad if these are figures for city driving. What FE would the Jazz deliver then? My petrol ertiga gives me just 10. The figure goes up to 12.5 or 13 if driven sedately on an open highway (i.e. not exceeding 90kph and always in 5th gear). But that's not my style of driving so I always get 10 when I drive.

I had a swift petrol before. She delivered me around 16 in mixed driving conditions. Similarly I know some of my friends who get around 16 on their 1.5L iVtecs. But the Hyundai petrols are known to be drunkards. My another friend own a grand i10 petrol who gets 11-12. And, what I told about the i20 petrol is the maximum figure. He hardly reaches that. That too under sedate driving on highways. She generally delivers 11.
Old 1st September 2015, 18:45   #282
BHPian

Quote:
I had a swift petrol before. She delivered me around 16 in mixed driving conditions. Similarly I know some of my friends who get around 16 on their 1.5L iVtecs. But the Hyundai petrols are known to be drunkards. My another friend own a grand i10 petrol who gets 11-12. And, what I told about the i20 petrol is the maximum figure. He hardly reaches that. That too under sedate driving on highways. She generally delivers 11.
On the contrary my experience is different. This is what i got in a recent highway drive in my petrol i20(elite). Used the Dash app.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-1441113273607.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2015, 09:51   #283
Senior - BHPian

About FE, I think the Jazz winds hands down.
Hyundai petrols are not known for FE irrespective of the ARAI claims.
In real life, expect the Jazz to give 2 kmpl more than the I20.

Also, the Jazz diesel would be easily more fuel efficient than I20 diesel.

The I20 has many features up it's sleeve but FE is something which the Jazz will win comfortably.

And, if you talk about sedate highway drives, I was able to extract 20-21 kmpl on the jazz driven steadily between 80-100 kmph. I normally don't drive like that but I was just interested to check how much I can achieve.
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:55   #284
BHPian

Sorry, If I had missed this thing in this discussion. What about the build quality? Which car has the best build quality? i.e. Sheet Metal etc. Who wins the race here? i20 or Jazz?

Last edited by Wildy : 2nd September 2015 at 10:03.
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:21   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
On the contrary my experience is different. This is what i got in a recent highway drive in my petrol i20(elite). Used the Dash app.
Hi ckranjan, due to lack of a proper elite petrol review in this forum, could you shed some light on the power of the petrol engine? I've heard the engine being abused left right and center, but considering the number of petrols being sold I want a first hand experience. Some questions in my mind
  • With 4 adults and AC on, does the car feel like its dragging itself? Straight road performance with load & traffic simulation.
  • Hilly areas, without AC, is the i20 capable of pulling itself on second, or 1st needs to be engaged throughout?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks